Odd bits that changed

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My elbows are both smooth these days. My hands are not so dry, I live in a dry climate so winter normally does a number on them. My nails are growing so fast I can barely keep them trimmed back. I always had thick hair but it is getting even more so now, and I don't find as much hair in the shower after washing it. Ditto on the clean ear canals. I also have way less "morning gunk" in my throat, still a tad bit but much less than before. Heels are also better but still could use some improvement. My face is softer to the touch these days as well.

Love reading this thread :) It isn't all about the weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Con: I have clothes that are too big.
    Pro: I can fit into my leisure suit again.

leisure suit is a pro?

Not so sure about that myself.

Yeah, I feel your aesthetic pain. However, I was able to sport the hideous salmon-colored relic at a HS reunion. By the time everyone had tossed back a few drinks, it seemed to have exerted an odd attraction to people with selfie habits. :s

LOL

I have a really old track jacket/ leisure suit top left over from the very early 80's... an it was old then. I still love that thing - polyester with a wider than normal collar and white racing stripes down the arms. Awesome.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Con: I have clothes that are too big.
    Pro: I can fit into my leisure suit again.

leisure suit is a pro?

Not so sure about that myself.

Yeah, I feel your aesthetic pain. However, I was able to sport the hideous salmon-colored relic at a HS reunion. By the time everyone had tossed back a few drinks, it seemed to have exerted an odd attraction to people with selfie habits. :s

LOL

I have a really old track jacket/ leisure suit top left over from the very early 80's... an it was old then. I still love that thing - polyester with a wider than normal collar and white racing stripes down the arms. Awesome.

That squishy doubleknit that retains a handprint a couple hours after you squeeze it?
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also have way less "morning gunk" in my throat, still a tad bit but much less than before.

I always felt like I had phlegm draining in my throat, not just in the morning and now that you mentioned it, I don't have that anymore, which could have been allergy related, but it gone now.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Most of my skin tags have disappeared.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I also have way less "morning gunk" in my throat, still a tad bit but much less than before.

I always felt like I had phlegm draining in my throat, not just in the morning and now that you mentioned it, I don't have that anymore, which could have been allergy related, but it gone now.

Gunk in the throat can also be a sign of acid reflux (got this from my ENT doc), just fyi.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading for sure! I haven't noticed anything too crazy, maybe I wasn't paying attention though. My biggest positive change are my energy levels. I don't have the crazy ups and downs anymore. I also for lack of a better way of putting it, just feel less bloated. When my carb count goes high, I feel like a lazy couch potato.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

skin tags are a sign of insulin resistance, so your body is healing!!!!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When I look in the mirror the skin on my face looks so so clear :) I'm not losing as much weight as I would like (but then I keep eating things I shouldn't), but I'm still smaller than when I started and am much fitter now. :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

skin tags are a sign of insulin resistance, so your body is healing!!!!

Good to know, thanks!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Gunk in the throat can also be a sign of acid reflux (got this from my ENT doc), just fyi.

Mine is allergy/sinus related. I have never (knock on wood!) had acid reflux, my DH has so I am familiar with that issue.

And I am no longer growing skin tags either. I had a bunch removed at the dr. office shortly before going lower carb, a couple were around the neck area and would get very itchy and dried out, so we thought it best to remove them, as they can become cancerous over time. Thank goodness no new ones to deal with now.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I hadn't heard about skin tags becoming cancerous. I have 2 large ones that are still hanging around but hopefully they will eventually leave on their own. If not I may ask the doc about removing them because they're in uncomfortable places.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    And I am no longer growing skin tags either. I had a bunch removed at the dr. office shortly before going lower carb, a couple were around the neck area and would get very itchy and dried out, so we thought it best to remove them, as they can become cancerous over time. Thank goodness no new ones to deal with now.

Same here I had a bunch removed a while ago before I had gone LCHF, not one has come back and it's been several years now. This is something I didn't connect to my WOE.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is random but I never felt thirsty before. It was so hard to get enough water every day. I ate plenty of salt but it didn't help. Since going Keto a month & a half ago, I feel like my thirst instinct has normalized & I enjoy drinking water all throughout the day. It's such a relief because drinking water when you don't want any is a drag.

I know glucose hangs out with water in the body & when you go into ketodis you shed that water along with the glucose. I wonder if my body was never thirsty before because of all the stored water which is now gone?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Weird changes over the last 4 years.

Good:
    My teeth are smooth, I brush them because it's lifelong habit, not because I need to.
    My thighs don't brush together anymore, I can wear a skirt in hot weather and not get a red rash there.
    I don't really sweat (unless I'm doing actual physical exercise)
    My moods are a lot more stable - I don't think about it much these days but 5 years ago I was pretty much an emotional rollercoaster. Some of that is keto and some of that is being in a better place in my life. But I no longer get that irrational sense of impending doom when things are going well like I used to.
    I sleep better.
    I have less aches and pains.
    My skin is clear.
    I am finally free of that gnawing hunger that has controlled my life since I was 16.
    I am no longer "pre-diabetic".

Bad:
    I look a lot better in clothes than I do naked. I'm not much overweight anymore but everything is "soft".
    I am running out of things to wear - I have a big pile of clothes on the spare bed to go to charity.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

I will have to check for skin tags. I have had a starling number of them for the past 10 years or so but have never paid much attention. Mine may be gone too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Some positives changes I've seen:
    I wasn't able to wear earrings the metal would cause my ears to get infected. I can now wear any cheap pair without a problem.

This is interesting. I had my ears pierced when I was 13, then in my 30's they were getting infected all the time. I finally just stopped wearing them and they closed up. Maybe if I got them pierced again now on LC, I could wear them.

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's rare that I get sore after an intense workout. My performance is better (lifting heavier, running faster). I no longer get headaches after running. I'm no longer obsessed with food, nor am I hangry.

As others have mentioned, my overall mood and sleep have improved. I'm not depressed/anxious, and I sleep soundly without nightmares (mostly, unless I'm truly stressed about something but it's not every night for no reason anymore).
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This 'skin tags' thing is a revelation - and my goodness, you're all right! I had skin tags (I'm convinced they are also hereditary, because my Mother has them, but I had them since I was a kid, and I've never been Insulin resistant), and the three main 'biggies' are indeed, much smaller!

Our local well-known High Street Pharmacy, 'Boots' has a particular application which dissolves them, but I like this way much better!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    How do they dissolve them? I have 2 that are rather large and in inconvenient areas. I'm not sure how long it will take for them to go away on their own. I've heard ACV helps but I haven't seen any improvement.