My weight loss saga - Jim

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    7 pounds in 3 days?! Awesome!!! :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    What? 3rd day of fasting? I admire this no end.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    7 pounds in 3 days?! Awesome!!! :)
    Thanks, yeah it looks good but keep in mind once I start eating again I'll probably pick up about 3 pounds over 1-2 weeks.

• jvcinv
    amflautist wrote: »
    What? 3rd day of fasting? I admire this no end.
    Today is my fourth day.
    This is my third extended fast. I did a 14 day fast last October and a 4 day fast in January.

I have a theory that periodic extended fasts are helpful for someone like me who is trying to lose a lot of weight that has been carried for years, in addition to the IF type of fasting with OMAD. I think that to reach that decades old waste-fat as Joe calls it, you need to penetrate deeper into the fasted state. In other words to force your body to utilize it. I'm thinking that a 24 hour fast is good for a nice consistent long term weight reduction, but that it isn't enough time in the fasted state to get to the really old stuff.
    Just my theory of course, I really don't know for sure. I just know I'm going in the right direction and feeling good.

• amflautist
    Just to clarify. Fourth day means 4th day of water only? So a 4-day water-only fast might have Monday and Saturday as the bookend days where one actually ate food?
  • jvcinv
    Just to clarify. Fourth day means 4th day of water only? So a 4-day water-only fast might have Monday and Saturday as the bookend days where one actually ate food?

Yes, the last time I ate was Friday night, so today is the fourth day on water.
  • amflautist
    I wanna do that! So I conquered the 1-day water fast. Next going to try 2 days.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited April 2017
    My most difficult day has always been day-3.

But man, Jim, you have taken to this like a friggin' fish to water!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    ohhh you're motivating me to fast! Great work!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Have never tried this. Don't know if I will. Longest I've gone is 36 hours as a young skinny guy and that was difficult. If I took a break from exercising I could try it but don't think I could do both.
  • jvcinv
    My plateau-busting fast
    Day.........WT.......Change.......Total
    ..1..........236.........-3...............-3
    ..2..........234.........-2...............-5
    ..3..........232.........-2...............-7
    ..4..........230.........-2...............-9

For others thinking about trying a fast let me offer a little advice.
    - First watch Joe's latest youtube video on The Seven Types Of People Who Should Not Fast.
    - Make sure your calendar ahead doesn't have some imminent stressful event like a party, wedding, stressful work project, travel, etc. You need to be in a serene state with total focus on yourself, body and mind.
    - Walking is the upper limit for exercise during a fast. You're not going to be running races or setting PR's in the weight room.
  • jvcinv
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Have never tried this. Don't know if I will. Longest I've gone is 36 hours as a young skinny guy and that was difficult. If I took a break from exercising I could try it but don't think I could do both.
    I second that, you cannot combine a rigorous exercise routine with an extended fast. It would not be good.

• jvcinv
    I wanna do that! So I conquered the 1-day water fast. Next going to try 2 days.
    Cool, let us know how it goes.

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    You have lost consistently during your fast so far. Excellent job :-)
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »

Wow... Just water.. i mean you don't even take fruit juice or fruits or anything like that?
    or may be coffee??
  • jvcinv

Wow... Just water.. i mean you don't even take fruit juice or fruits or anything like that?
    or may be coffee??
    No juice, but I do have a small coffee.

• NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member

or may be coffee??
    No juice, but I do have a small coffee.

wow.. amazing.. i can go through a tough 1day fast but i don't think i can handle 2.. great job you are doing.. inspiring..
  • jvcinv
    Day.........WT.......Change.......Total
    ..1..........236.........-3...............-3
    ..2..........234.........-2...............-5
    ..3..........232.........-2...............-7
    ..4..........230.........-2...............-9
    ..5..........227.5......-2.5............-11.5

Honestly this is going better than expected. I can feel now that I'm fully into the ketosis process. I'm in day 6 now and frankly I've felt better each day.
    I thought maybe this time the weight loss would be less rapid than prior fasts.
    But that's not the case, its coming off rapidly and I feel I'm at a peak right now.
    People wonder how you can not eat for so long, but you have to remember that the hunger hormone comes in waves, if you ignore it it just goes away. Each successive day of fasting it is less and less apparent. At this point in my fast hunger is basically non existent.

So I've accomplished my goal of breaking the plateau but I'd like to ride this out until I break the 220 pound barrier. Ideally I'd like to get to 216 or 217 by next Wednesday, or sooner perhaps. At that point I'll ease back into my OMAD routine.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2017
    I admire your dedication
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Commendable! I did a 3 day water fast this month and felt great on the third day. However I broke it at the 72 hr mark. Seeing you, I think I might go for another extended fast, especially if I hit a plateau. Keep it up! Looking forward to further updates :smiley: