April Q and A thread

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    giusa wrote: »
    The area is swollen 24/7, I've been taking the anti-inflammatory before bed and in the morning I can actually see my ankles BUT by the time I'm finished getting ready for work, swollen again. She did recommend PT, but had such a bad experience I'm putting that on hold and doing the stretching exercises at home.
    I like my heels :'(
    Did you limit walking and/or cardio, how long till you resumed lifting, how long till the swelling subsisted for you?
    Will definitely lighten the load at first. I was imagining months to recuperate, you both made me feel better!

I never stopped lifting. My pain would only show up when I was walking in heels or on a decline (even a minor decline.) I did limit walking somewhat because even slight grades made it hurt.

My main PT exercises were:
    • calf stretches with a towel (towel around foot, pull back toward body, hold 20 seconds, repeat 3x)
    • calf raises (stand on affected foot on block, lower, raise up on toes, 3 sets of 20)
    • 3x20 leg press
    • 3x15-20 calf raise on leg press
    • balance board stretching (stand on one leg, flex toes down/heels down 20x, flex ankle side to side 20x, do 20 clockwise ankle rotations, do 20 counterclockwise ankle rotations)
    • belt pulls (connect belt to a cable machine, put it on and face away from machine, walk out to further point, back up gently, repeat 10 x walking that direction, walking backward away from machine, and walking sideways each side away from machine)

I didn't have a ton of swelling but I jumped into PT fairly quickly. I did ice my foot each evening and after every PT session (2x/week.)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    giusa wrote: »
    The area is swollen 24/7, I've been taking the anti-inflammatory before bed and in the morning I can actually see my ankles BUT by the time I'm finished getting ready for work, swollen again. She did recommend PT, but had such a bad experience I'm putting that on hold and doing the stretching exercises at home.
    I like my heels :'(
    Did you limit walking and/or cardio, how long till you resumed lifting, how long till the swelling subsisted for you?
    Will definitely lighten the load at first. I was imagining months to recuperate, you both made me feel better!

With any tendinitis you can do ice massage. Put water in a dixie cup and freeze then tear away part of the cup to expose the ice. Move in small circles around the tendon for 3-5 minutes or until the skin is numb. You can also just use an icecube and a paper towel, but dixie cups are cooler.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I had to be very careful on DL's and squats that balance was never comprised on the ankle bend such that weight would shift forward requiring way more calf usage.

Actually one injury to achilles was indeed after ankle surgery when one didn't bend like it used to.
    Squat had been causing a forward roll at bottom on one side, actually combined with a side movement putting even more weight on it because other ankle really didn't bend as much anymore.

That took probably 6 months to recover from, many weeks even to narrow down why in the world I had an issue, because of course I tried to keep going.
    Of course I attempted to still run a half and training for it, and tri training all summer long with less running - that probably extended the recovery time.

I have to use 1/4" heel lift now so that doesn't happen.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Thank you all!
    All the input has helped me tremendously, and feel more confident moving forward.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Since @SideSteel is dropping the ball on May, I figured i would ask here.

Why does my body hate squats soo much.. 3 days later and I still hurt, lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Have you tried more recovery work? I have found that a combination of Agile 8, recumbent bike LISS and contrast showers have almost completely obliterated all of my DOMS, even when pushing stupid hard.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

What does your programming look like?

I'd like to know squat frequency, volume and approximate RPE.
  • psuLemon
    SideSteel wrote: »

What does your programming look like?

I'd like to know squat frequency, volume and approximate RPE.

Generally program design:

It's Bigger Lean Strong - 4 day. It's and upper/lower split. Generally 1 core lift per session with accessories. Lifts at ~ 85% of 1 RM. Rep range is 4-6. Once I hit 6 reps, I add 10 lbs.

Where I am at:

This round, it's 6 sets of 6 (a bit of high volume but I only have 1 accessory move (DB lunge for 3sets of 6 reps)). Last session I was able to do 235lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets; 235x4x2; 235x3x1. I do high bar squat. I don't really have a good understanding of the RPE ranges, but most I most sets, I wouldn't be able to squat more than 6 reps, even in the first sets.

If needed, I can load the program to a google drive or email you the program and results (excel nerding it up).

Overall routine

Monday: Upper - Bench + chest accessories (dumbbell press, incline press (or DB version))
    Tuesday: Lower - Deadlift + back accessories (Sitting Row, T Bar Row)
    Wednesday: Cycle (~ 12-15 miles) or if weather is bad, flexibility/core training.
    Thursday: Upper - OHP + shoulder accessories (DB press, Shoulder raises)
    Friday: Lower - Squat + leg accessories (lunge/db lunge)
    Saturday: Golf (generally walk 18 holes with push cart)

• psuLemon

Have you tried more recovery work? I have found that a combination of Agile 8, recumbent bike LISS and contrast showers have almost completely obliterated all of my DOMS, even when pushing stupid hard.

I suspect I need a bit more time with recovery work, especially a foam roller which in the past has seemed helpful. In the past, I have always gotten bad DOMS on squat days (even when I was doing dumbbells). Additionally, I time nutrients pre- workout most of the time and have dinner after.
  • Gallowmere1984

I suspect I need a bit more time with recovery work, especially a foam roller which in the past has seemed helpful. In the past, I have always gotten bad DOMS on squat days (even when I was doing dumbbells). Additionally, I time nutrients pre- workout most of the time and have dinner after.

That was the area that I was shortchanging myself the most in. Honestly, I don't know how I made as much progress as I have, without my body coming unglued these past few months.

I was sleeping 4-5 hours per night, doing literally zero mobility work, no forms of active or passive recovery, nothing. Since then I finally listened to reason and implemented this:
    *Sleeping 6.5-8 hours, and catching a nap when I can.
    *3-4 30 minute LISS recumbent sessions per week.
    *3-4 contrast showers (1 minute hot, 30 seconds cold for five minutes) per week.
    *Agile 8 twice per week.

Since I started doing those, my fatigue and soreness levels are non-existent to the point where if not for closely monitoring my progress, I'd just think that I wasn't doing anywhere near enough work.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    In general, I think that squatting more often helps alleviate a lot of soreness. That would be a change to your programming so I'm not sure if you want to do it but everything I've ever read has led me to believe that to be the case. I've never run a program that has me do one of the big movements (or a variation of them at least) less than twice a week so I cannot speak from experience.

I don't really do any thing for recover (no agility stuff or showers or anything) so I can't help there.
  • psuLemon
    jemhh wrote: »
    In general, I think that squatting more often helps alleviate a lot of soreness. That would be a change to your programming so I'm not sure if you want to do it but everything I've ever read has led me to believe that to be the case. I've never run a program that has me do one of the big movements (or a variation of them at least) less than twice a week so I cannot speak from experience.

I don't really do any thing for recover (no agility stuff or showers or anything) so I can't help there.

It's quite possible I may have to consider switching programs. I know I can't squat 3 days a week.. that almost killed me. But it is possible that I will need a program that incorporates it 2x a week.

I think my path going forward is to incorporate more flexibility/ROM training and if they doesn't help, then I have to consider a switch. Which kind of sucks because I do enjoy BLS.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

It's quite possible I may have to consider switching programs. I know I can't squat 3 days a week.. that almost killed me. But it is possible that I will need a program that incorporates it 2x a week.

I think my path going forward is to incorporate more flexibility/ROM training and if they doesn't help, then I have to consider a switch. Which kind of sucks because I do enjoy BLS.

It's POSSIBLE that 3/week squatting killed you because the volume and/or intensity wasn't properly set up across those 3 days.

• heybales
    Whenever I get sick with couple weeks off, that first week back would usually never survive if I did the 3 x weekly squats, with bad soreness lasting 2-3 days.

So I know to either back off weight and jump back into the 3 day routine, or usually I'm still not great anyway so the workout is 2 x first week, then back to 3 x.
    Either of those methods usually works.

1 x weekly I think I'd be feeling it 2-3 days each week too.
  • psuLemon
    So for some feedback for you guys. I didnt get a chance to cycle so i incorporated a few sessions of flexibility training and abs with big success... almost no doms from squat day, even though there was an increase in total volume.

It would appear that reducing cycling and increasing flexibility training is what i need, at least in the interim.
  • Gallowmere1984
    So for some feedback for you guys. I didnt get a chance to cycle so i incorporated a few sessions of flexibility training and abs with big success... almost no doms from squat day, even though there was an increase in total volume.

It would appear that reducing cycling and increasing flexibility training is what i need, at least in the interim.

Amazing isn't it? From everything I've read, mobility work helps to bring blood flow to muscular areas, which helps to bring in nutrients, but more importantly flush out the various metabolites that tend to contribute to soreness. When I moved my recumbent LISS, foam rolling and stretching to the morning after my squat sessions, it made a much bigger difference for me.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017

Amazing isn't it? From everything I've read, mobility work helps to bring blood flow to muscular areas, which helps to bring in nutrients, but more importantly flush out the various metabolites that tend to contribute to soreness. When I moved my recumbent LISS, foam rolling and stretching to the morning after my squat sessions, it made a much bigger difference for me.

I spoke too soon.. I am having crazy DOMS this week but I did break the plateau of hitting 235x6x6. Only took 3 weeks. So at the min, it helped. But I did that on Friday and come Monday I can still barely walk, ha!

I suspect I may have to look into a frequency change.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member

Two questions, one theoretical and one practical.

First, the practical: I typically deadlift using the trap bar, as I have a far
    easier time keeping my back properly straight to avoid injury. I've always
    used the raised handles without thinking about it. But the other day I saw
    somebody invert the trap bar, keeping the handles down and instead grasping
    the frame. How much am I cheating myself of potential benefits by using the
    handles vice the frame?

Now, the theoretical: every Sunday for 12 years, my family has stopped at our
    favorite donut place on the way to church. (I know, I know... but sometimes
    you eat for your body, other times you eat for your soul, am I right?) I
    mentioned in passing how if I did nothing different with my lifestyle other
    than avoid those donuts, I could lose 3/4 pound a month, 9 pounds in a year.
    My wife took it a step further, saying if I had avoided those donuts all this
    time I would be almost 100 pounds lighter than I am now (12x9=98).

I will readily admit I could lose 15-20 and be better off for it, but I'm not
    an overweight guy. At 200# BW with an estimated 20% BF, that's only 40 pounds
    of fat on me. Even if my estimate is off and it's closer to 25%, that's still
    only 50 pounds. 100 pounds lighter... less than 50 pounds to lose before I
    hit dangerously low levels... I know her statement is wrong, yet my logic
    train is somehow jumping the tracks and I can't find the right rebuttal. Any
    help?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2017
    Trap bar: it increases ROM by a few inches. I wouldn't worry about it, but give it a try next time, see how it feels. If you like it, great. If it's too uncomfortable, then staying with the higher handles is probably fine.

Donuts: How did she mean it? Was it just an off-hand observation, or was she trying to encourage you to drop the donuts? If the former, no problem. If the latter, I'd just point out that while the math is correct, that would put you at ~100 lb, which probably wouldn't be healthy.

edited because I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself...
  • heybales
    As weight was lost, your TDEE would have lowered to match the new eating level the lack of donuts caused. Even that 9lbs year is wrong as the deficit would have become smaller.

Not sure how many calories is being taken for the donuts being gone, but eventually you'd be eating at maintenance, possibly before reaching the 50 or 20 lb mark.