Yael452's Accountability Journal

Yael452
Yael452 Posts: 82 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
I've been so inspired by reading everyone else's journals, I thought I'd create my own.

I just broke my fast about an hour ago...but not in the best way. I ate some chocolate covered peanuts, not a huge sin by any means, but less than ideal.
*Note to self* break the fast with something non-sugary.
The weird thing is, it didn't trigger like a major sugar binge, or any strong sugar cravings at all. This is odd because I mostly try to avoid sugar in a "purer" form, i.e sweets, baked goods, etc. But I will occasionally have things with some sugar in them - like a drink, or in powdered peanut butter.
From January this year to March I ate fairly strict keto, and I fall back into that way of eating every now and again. I feel that in order for me to stick to OMAD, I need to allow myself to be more forgiving when it comes to what kinds of food I eat - because I know that trying to do too many dietary changes at once often results in giving up, or a lot of feelings of guilt.
That's what comes with an "all-or-nothing" personality.

Today I just had water until 5:30 PM, but I did keep a Coke Zero in the fridge as back up.
The weather has been strangely warm in the UK this week, and I'm not loving it! I've got a 5 mile run planned this evening and the warmth hasn't subsided one bit.
When I get back from the run I'll be having my meal, and possibly make myself an iced chai latte just because I can.

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Yael452 wrote: »
    I've been so inspired by reading everyone else's journals, I thought I'd create my own.

I just broke my fast about an hour ago...but not in the best way. I ate some chocolate covered peanuts, not a huge sin by any means, but less than ideal.
    The weird thing is, it didn't trigger like a major sugar binge, or any strong sugar cravings at all. This is odd because I mostly try to avoid sugar in a "purer" form, i.e sweets, baked goods, etc. But I will occasionally have things with some sugar in them - like a drink, or in powdered peanut butter.
    From January this year to March I ate fairly strict keto, and I fall back into that way of eating every now and again. I feel that in order for me to stick to OMAD, I need to allow myself to be more forgiving when it comes to what kinds of food I eat - because I know that trying to do too many dietary changes at once often results in giving up, or a lot of feelings of guilt.

Today I just had water until 5:30 PM, but I did keep a Coke Zero in the fridge as back up.
    The weather has been strangely warm in the UK this week, and I'm not loving it! I've got a 5 mile run planned this evening and the warmth hasn't subsided one bit.
    When I get back from the run I'll be having my meal, and possibly make myself an iced chai latte just because I can.

Good luck!!! We're all rooting for you! How much do you have to lose? Stay strong and when all else fails, occupy yourself with the forums :)

Keep us updated!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member

Choc covered peanuts are ok with a more sensible meal choice at large. As you progress, you will more perfectly map out your routine.
  • Yael452

Good luck!!! We're all rooting for you! How much do you have to lose? Stay strong and when all else fails, occupy yourself with the forums :)

Keep us updated!

I have about 40lbs (yikes) to lose, or 20kg.
    It seems like such a lot...but I know that quick fixes and only looking at the short-term is not going to help me.
    My goal is to master consistency and patience!
    Thanks for your comment - knowing I have support here is going to help a lot.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Sounds like you are very self aware. Good for you
  • mistymeadows2005

Keep us updated!

It seems like such a lot...but I know that quick fixes and only looking at the short-term is not going to help me.

Just take it one day at a time babe - I have ANOTHER 50 pounds still to lose, but am already feeling way better after almost 20. Your brain will adjust as you progress and you'll be more and more excited, and less and less apprehensive as you start losing (at least that's been my experience).

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited May 2017
    *Note to self* LOL, I do this all the time :p
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member

My goal is to master consistency and patience
    !
    With OMAD and this attitude you will succeed. Good Luck

• Yael452
    shans34 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are very self aware. Good for you

Thanks, I try to be! It doesn't always mean I make good choices, unfortunately.
  • Yael452
    My "window" closed a little later than I'd have liked, buuuut it's early days, and I will take note and move forward.
    My run was also longer than planned, about 10K, and that's partially why I ate my meal later.

My meal was great, stir-fry pork, half an avocado, tomato and garlic cous-cous and a small portion of egg and mushroom foo young.
    I also had some "Chocologic" sugar-free dark chocolate (only available in the UK I think?) after supper.

If I reduce the amount of junk in addition to my meal, I think I will be in a much better place, so that's my goal for tomorrow on-wards.

I've been tracking my calories on an app called "Lifesum", but I suppose I should try put entries in here as well should I need outside opinions on my intake.
    Today's intake was just under 1500 calories.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member

Keep us updated!

@Yael452 hey good luck... i have about 40lbs to loose too... Yes, consistency and patience is the key...
    You got this!! :smile:
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Good luck! I am sure you will find great support here :)
  • Yael452
    Things going smoothly so far. I've got about an hour or so until I can eat, but I'm feeling fine.
    My body is pretty used to going without food for extended periods, but nothing crazy - I've never fasted multiple days, but I'd like to in the future for health and autophagy.

I just recently left my part-time job (parcel distribution - nightshift) and I never used to eat during my shift, which was 8 hours-ish, and a lot of people thought it was weird that I could do a physical job without constantly snacking, and not feel tired. I didn't eat on purpose because, A. the food in the canteen was rubbish and overpriced, and B. Eating slows me down usually!

Anyway, feeling good today. I've been keeping busy, and I took a trip to town with my mom and little brother. I took my brother to Starbucks and got him an iced chai latte (it's so warm out) which is my favourite - and a chocolate chip cookie. He offered me some, but I just told him "I'm good".
    So far so good, I might go for a walk to boost my step-count and distract myself.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Things going smoothly so far. I've got about an hour or so until I can eat, but I'm feeling fine.
    My body is pretty used to going without food for extended periods, but nothing crazy - I've never fasted multiple days, but I'd like to in the future for health and autophagy.

I just recently left my part-time job (parcel distribution - nightshift) and I never used to eat during my shift, which was 8 hours-ish, and a lot of people thought it was weird that I could do a physical job without constantly snacking, and not feel tired. I didn't eat on purpose because, A. the food in the canteen was rubbish and overpriced, and B. Eating slows me down usually!

Anyway, feeling good today. I've been keeping busy, and I took a trip to town with my mom and little brother. I took my brother to Starbucks and got him an iced chai latte (it's so warm out) which is my favourite - and a chocolate chip cookie. He offered me some, but I just told him "I'm good".
    So far so good, I might go for a walk to boost my step-count and distract myself.

Sounds like you're doing great! Just wait, soon you won't even notice - it will just be a normal routine! Keep up the great work! YOU GOT THIS!
  • Yael452
    So I "wrapped" my eating up about thirty minutes ago.

My meal was rice and some chicken kebabs, pretty good. I grazed a little bit too, which frankly, I don't like it when I do that because I think it can sometimes deduct from the enjoyment of the meal.
    I also made myself an iced chai, something I "daydream" about during the fast...but it wasn't as good as I'd imagined - isn't it disappointing when that happens?
    Overall I'd say that I didn't really enjoy my food today as much as I'd have liked, I feel like I ate a bit too fast and a bit too much. Feeling a little over-full right now. Is it possible my stomach has started shrinking already? Who knows.
    I'd like to be a bit more organised tomorrow evening; my mom is running a homeschool conference (I'm a grown-up homeschooled kid!) tomorrow, and all the involved families are going to eat at our house after the event is over, I suspect it will be pizza take-out, which isn't really my thing. It helps when I don't have to cook, it's so much easier managing my OMAD when I'm not having to think about what the rest of my family is going to eat.

Anyway, total calories were verging on 1600 today, which felt like too much IMO, so I may reign it in tomorrow and have a lighter day. We'll see.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Welcome to the group and it sounds like you have a great plan of action.

Btw, I do not think 1600 calories is too much at all. Sometimes we start too low and when plateaus come there is nothing to go down to without it becoming unhealthy. :)
  • Yael452
    edited May 2017
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Welcome to the group and it sounds like you have a great plan of action.

Btw, I do not think 1600 calories is too much at all. Sometimes we start too low and when plateaus come there is nothing to go down to without it becoming unhealthy. :)

I don't really think 1600 is that much either, but it *felt* like a lot (physically). I agree, I think it's important not to go too low, at least not intentionally, because it really does leave you very little leeway when you stop losing or want to maintain.

• Yael452
    Almost 4 p.m. here and I'm not doing too badly!
    I just sip water all day long, and so far so good. Today has been a really productive day; most of my family are out running the day-conference and so it's kind of expected that I clean up and do chores around the house alone.
    I cleaned the main rooms of the house and vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen floor, and mowed the lawn in the back garden.
    I feel pretty 'knackered' (to use British terms) but I need to get some things at the shop, and I'll walk there, which will give me my 10,000 steps for the day.
    When I get back, my eating window will be open, so my main challenge is not to buy too much unneeded food-stuffs at the shop *just* because I have an empty stomach!
  • Yael452
    edited May 2017
    Yesterday was....interesting!
    After I got back from my round-trip walk to the shop, I broke my fast with some yogurt with pb2 mixed in. There were a load of people over at our house, in almost every room of the house! Eating pizza and cake... I got a text from my friend and former colleague who wanted to hang out (we haven't seen each other since I left my job almost a month ago). She said she wanted to go for a walk and catch up - and given the overwhelming amount of people at my house, I jumped at the chance to get out.
    Well, our walk turned into a stop at McDonalds, where I got a coke zero, and she got a McFlurry AND a Strawberry milkshake - guys, she's one of those teeny, tiny Eastern European (she's Hungarian) women who eat whatever they want, whenever they want and seem to have a perfect handle on their appetite.

She complains to me about how much she has to eat to keep herself from *losing more weight*. Luckily I have long gotten over my sensitivities about weight that I just brush it off and tell myself that we have different bodies, different metabolisms etc. At 16/17 though, her complaints would've killed me.

Even though it was technically "meal-time" I am so used to forgoing food at McDonalds that I didn't order anything, I don't usually eat at McD's!
    After our catch-up, her boyfriend came to pick us up and instead of dropping me back home (where I could cook) they decided they needed to do their grocery shop and I should tag along, so I did...
    I should probably add that my friend is a fairly strong personality, and I'm more..."amiable"? I just go with the flow, and it gets me into unwanted situations sometimes.
    After the grocery shop, her bf took us back to their place (by this time it was closing in on 10 p.m.) and I was hungry, but undecided whether to eat, or just wait until my next meal on Sunday evening. What ended up happening was that they threw a couple pizzas in the oven, dished up a plate for me and everything...So I decided to eat, albeit later than my usual window. Not great.
    So we did pizza, some sweets, and a slice of Hungarian cake. It was all very good, but I felt uneasy because technically my eating window had closed.
    I got home around 11:30pm! Total calories for the day was 1,825, so quite calorie heavy (for me).
    Another thing I should add regarding running, is that I've been doing a challenge that start in January (called Runuary) where I ran every day in January (minimum of a mile). It was a big success, and ingrained the "run every day" habit so well into my daily schedule that I decided to keep going...I want to see if I can run the entire year of 2017. So as soon as I got home, I changed clothes and managed to squeeze in 1.25 miles at just before midnight! It was an interesting run, because I passed a fair amount of drunk people and party-goers who probably thought "What the hell is this chick doing running at near-midnight!"
    But, it was kinda fun! AND with all the housework, walking and walking, plus the run, I ended the day with 23,000 steps!

This morning I woke up and (reluctantly) weighed myself - I am (still) 1.5lbs down since I started OMAD on Wednesday :smile:
  • Yael452
    Another challenge: my younger sister's birthday lunch today.
    The whole family is going to "Nandos" (they do really good chicken). I'd hoped the family would settle on going out at dinner time, so I could enjoy my meal, but alas, they all want to go out for lunch - which of course, completely screws with my OMAD schedule. I think it'll be another coke zero for me!
    I might see if they can do a "take-away" box, but it is a sit-down restaurant, so I'm not sure if they will be willing or not.
    Restaurants and whatnot can be a bit different to in the US, not necessarily as flexible with how they do things. It depends where you go really.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Yay, the 1850 calories didn't harm you. Best on today's bday challenge. Hopefully you'll get a break from these challenges soon. :)