Your latest favorite LCHF foods and finds?

macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I recently tried Pasta Zero for the first time and really liked it! I made a chicken-veggie fried noodles recipe that was a little random, but the noodles themselves were good. Next time I'll find a real recipe to use. ;)

What have the rest of you discovered/been liking lately?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I love using those for stir-fry!

Lately I tried some Trader Joe's parsnip chips and really liked them. However I am 3 hours from Trader Joe's so I need to stock up next trip.

These are a little higher carb than I usually like but I really like the Birch Benders Paleo pancake and waffle mix.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    The Quest protien chips. They're growing on me. I still can't figure out how they make a potato chip looking product out of milk protien?! The BBQ is not bad tho. Very crunchy.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Pimento cheese with pork rinds.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    bametels wrote: »

This has been a staple for me all through meativore May.
  • cstehansen
    Ghee. I kept hearing about it so I bought some and realized there is almost nothing that doesn't taste better cooked in ghee.
  • bametels
    @cstehansen
    cstehansen wrote: »

I think it was you who posted about this and gave me the idea to try it. I LOVE pimento cheese and love the crunch of pork rinds - but the taste not so much. The two together, so yummy!

One challenge though has been trying to find a pimento cheese that is not full of all kinds of additives. Do you know of any? I may have to see if I can find a recipe online so I can make it myself. I particularly love jalapeno pimento cheese and recently bought pepper jack pimento cheese - the only danger is that they are easy to overeat!

• Spirit_Goose
    Spirit_Goose Posts: 15 Member
    I like the Simple Mills Muffin Mixes. 12 net carbs for a pumpkin muffin? Much better than your standard muffin. They're super moist. You won't miss conventional flour muffins. I recommend sticking to one a day though.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    @cstehansen

I think it was you who posted about this and gave me the idea to try it. I LOVE pimento cheese and love the crunch of pork rinds - but the taste not so much. The two together, so yummy!

One challenge though has been trying to find a pimento cheese that is not full of all kinds of additives. Do you know of any? I may have to see if I can find a recipe online so I can make it myself. I particularly love jalapeno pimento cheese and recently bought pepper jack pimento cheese - the only danger is that they are easy to overeat!

Make your own. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/189930/southern-pimento-cheese/
    Its super easy, and you have control over the types of cheeses you put in. Sometimes I add diced jalapenos, or bacon, or smoked gouda....on and on. Don't want to use store bought mayo? Make your own.....again super easy, and you get to choose whether its whole egg or yolk only, the type of oil, etc.
  • cstehansen
    @cstehansen

Funny you mention jalapeño pimento cheese because that is my preference as well. This is the brand I use. It lists 0 carbs which we all know it means less than 1. Best I have found.

hdwca42vcnn8.jpg

I usually get it at Sam's, but found it here on vacation at Myrtle Beach at the Food Lion.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    While searching for dill pickles, I came across these:
    Mt. Olive Pickle Company - No Sugar Added Sweet Gherkins
    I've never been a fan of sweet pickles, but these are really good. I chop a few up into whatever random weird dinner I've concocted for myself. My other half has discovered the jar and is munching on them too....need a larger jar. :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    My favorites: avocados and black soybeans. If you eat soy, check out black soybeans. They are the perfect food, IMHO.
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=7EFCA542-E107-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

And lately those damned cello crisps from Costco.
  • bametels
    @nill4me

[/quote]

Its super easy, and you have control over the types of cheeses you put in. Sometimes I add diced jalapenos, or bacon, or smoked gouda....on and on. Don't want to use store bought mayo? Make your own.....again super easy, and you get to choose whether its whole egg or yolk only, the type of oil, etc.
    [/quote]

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will definitely try making it!

• bametels

[/quote]

Funny you mention jalapeño pimento cheese because that is my preference as well. This is the brand I use. It lists 0 carbs which we all know it means less than 1. Best I have found.

hdwca42vcnn8.jpg

I usually get it at Sam's, but found it here on vacation at Myrtle Beach at the Food Lion. [/quote]

@cstehansen - Thanks for sharing this information. I live in the Research Triangle area of NC. They sell this brand by me but like the others sold in this area there are lots of additives that I would prefer to avoid. I'm going to try making my own and see how it comes out.
  • macchiatto
    I live in SC. I need to figure out where to buy good pimento cheese in my area. It's somewhat common at restaurants on burgers. Yum!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Ghee. I kept hearing about it so I bought some and realized there is almost nothing that doesn't taste better cooked in ghee.

It's actually cheaper if you make your own... and if you have a rice cooker, or a slow cooker (crockpot) then it's the easiest thing in the world, ever, bar none, to make....
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member

hdwca42vcnn8.jpg

I get the regular (non-jalapeno) version of this at Sam's and have to restrain myself from adding it to just about everything.

• MrsSherriff042316
    MrsSherriff042316 Posts: 7 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I live in SC. I need to figure out where to buy good pimento cheese in my area. It's somewhat common at restaurants on burgers. Yum!

Honestly I work at Zoes kitchen and our pimento cheese definitely has a kick of heat, but I can tell you it is only made with four ingredients. No additives.
  • catincradel
    catincradel Posts: 5 Member
    The Pawley's Island Pimento cheese is sold at Costco and Harris Teeter in North Carolina and I would check those stores in South Carolina too.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member

[/quote]

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will definitely try making it!

[/quote]

@bametels

Please do....and experiment. Thats what makes it such fun!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    What the heck is pimento cheese?? Is it kinda like a queso blanco dip or spread?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    What the heck is pimento cheese?? Is it kinda like a queso blanco dip or spread?

Yes. Probably. Could be. I dunno....

See recipe provided above.

I think you can do anything with it.

Except use it as a drain cleaner.

Probably.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited June 2017
    I went out looking for pimento cheese last night because of this thread, couldn't find any that was less than 4g carbs per 2TBSP serving. I knew I'd likely eat the entirety of the container so I opted to buy pimentos and I'll make my own this weekend.

What's the preferred method for mixing it up? Shred the cheese and mix by hand? Food processor?
  • bametels

When I moved from New Jersey (US) to North Carolina, I had no idea what pimento cheese was either but I'm so glad I tried it because it is quite yummy. When it's cold, it's a thick, chunky dip. When it's heated up, which how I like it, it is similar to a queso dip - melty, creamy deliciousness! I used to eat it with tortilla chips. Now I eat it with lower carb veggies like cucumbers, celery, and zucchini or pork rinds. The only problem is that it is so delicious that it can be hard to stop eating it.
  • bametels

@Just_Eric
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    I went out looking for pimento cheese last night because of this thread, couldn't find any that was less than 4g carbs per 2TBSP serving. I knew I'd likely eat the entirety of the container so I opted to buy pimentos and I'll make my own this weekend.

What's the preferred method for mixing it up? Shred the cheese and mix by hand? Food processor?

I have not tried making it yet. I suspect that either way would be fine but how you plan to use it may influence which way you prepare it. If you like it cold and chunky you might be better off doing it by hand. If you like it melted, as I do, I suspect that using a food processor will work great and be quicker.

And, darn it but I forgot to put pimentos on my shopping list (I shopped this morning) so I am going to have to wait to make it.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,762 Member

Cold, it can be used as a spread. As a child it was a major comfort food for me. Spread it on bread and eat pickles on the side. Heavenly stuff.

If you heat it up, it is a great queso dip.

It can be made from American cheese or real cheddar, sharpest is the best to me. Some people use colby or colby jack now, since those are readily available.

Pimentos are roasted red peppers, in the US you can buy them already prepped, roasted, skin removed and cut into proper size for adding to dishes like pimento cheese. While I love the extra flavor boast roasting and chopping your gives, it can be very time consuming compared to opening a jar.
    Classic style always includes mayo, but if you want to eat it hot, adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil will work better. Mayo isn't meant to be heated up.

• canadjineh
    Actually @retirehappy, mayo works ok heated up... my favorite way of eating white fish like sole or cod is slathering it with a tbsp of mayo and topping that with grated parmesan and pepper then quickly broiling. It makes a lovely sort of crust for it. I do like pimentos and do my own on the BBQ or in the oven under the broiler, but hadn't heard of the 'pimento cheese' thing before. Pimentos are really good oil packed, too.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,762 Member
    Actually @retirehappy, mayo works ok heated up... my favorite way of eating white fish like sole or cod is slathering it with a tbsp of mayo and topping that with grated parmesan and pepper then quickly broiling. It makes a lovely sort of crust for it. I do like pimentos and do my own on the BBQ or in the oven under the broiler, but hadn't heard of the 'pimento cheese' thing before. Pimentos are really good oil packed, too.

Yeah, I know about using it with the fish or even chicken. But in the cheese spread, I personally think it doesn't do as nice a job as the olive or avocado oil would do. you don't want "crusty" at all when making the hot dip dish.

It is delicious with chicharonnes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, etc. when cold. You can spread it over meats if you heat it up, yummy.
  • macchiatto
    Speaking of mayo, I was horrified to look up pimento cheese recipes and discover that stuff contains mayo. (I have a deep-seated, life-long hatred of the stuff.)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Speaking of mayo, I was horrified to look up pimento cheese recipes and discover that stuff contains mayo. (I have a deep-seated, life-long hatred of the stuff.)

Were you initially tainted through a vile "Miracle" Whip experience?
  • canadjineh

Yeah, I know about using it with the fish or even chicken. But in the cheese spread, I personally think it doesn't do as nice a job as the olive or avocado oil would do. you don't want "crusty" at all when making the hot dip dish.

It is delicious with chicharonnes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, etc. when cold. You can spread it over meats if you heat it up, yummy.

I don't mind crusty cheese bits in melted stuff, lol. I always think of broiled cheese on top of French Onion soup......mmmmmm.