One last time ...

Options

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »

The only problem I seem to be having are bowel movements. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, but I haven't been regular in a couple of months. I get really backed up and on day three of no bowel movements, I cave to laxatives. I think I'll introduce bran cereal into it because I do not like relying on artificial ways to help me poo.

I take magnesium daily. Have you tried soaking a Tablespoon of chia seeds in water until they gel (it takes like 15 minutes) and adding that to a protein shake or smoothie? That helps me when I'm more Paleo than Plant-eo in my foods.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'll try adding magnesium. Thank you. I have chia seeds daily in my smoothies. Does it matter whether or not they're not fully soaked?
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I don't know. I've also ground them first. I do know that flax seeds have to be ground to be properly digested. Maybe chia do, too, or maybe I just do that.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Coffee crusted grassfed flank steak, sweet potato oven fries, mixed greens, Caesar dressing.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Coffee crusted grassfed flank steak, sweet potato oven fries, mixed greens, Caesar dressing.

Heaven.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious!!
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Five Guys Burger and Fries. Need I describe it? LOL
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    No description needed...Yum :p
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options

OMG their Cajun fries thoughhhhh
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options

OMG their Cajun fries thoughhhhh

Luckily, I was with my daughter who I taught to eat slowly, never out of a package, and to stop once she feels satiated. We ordered small fries, split them, and only ate half of our servings.
    Another thing we do is eat only 3 bites of desserts - 1 for maximum value, 2 to enjoy it with anticipation, 3 to close it out. I want her to balance food as fuel and as enjoyment.
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What a priceless gift! May she never have food struggles like the rest of us.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I need tips for distracting myself from eating. I really am someone with 0 willpower and I am surrounded by food - home all day cooking 3 meals for others. I haven't given this a full 100% shot yet, and I'm still gaining. 203 yesterday!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I need tips for distracting myself from eating. I really am someone with 0 willpower and I am surrounded by food - home all day cooking 3 meals for others. I haven't given this a full 100% shot yet, and I'm still gaining. 203 yesterday!

There is no easy way. There is no easy way. You've got to be like the buffalo and run headlong into the storm. What you are looking for doesn't exist. Sorry. But you can do it if you decide to.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options

There is no easy way. There is no easy way. You've got to be like the buffalo and run headlong into the storm. What you are looking for doesn't exist. Sorry. But you can do it if you decide to.

I'm not looking for easy, I said tips to distract me. You know, like Sip tea while you cook, or Walk up and down the stairs five times when you want to grab a handful of nuts, or Chew gum even though you think women looks like cows when they do. I guess I thought others who have done it might have some clues but guess I was wrong.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You can always do the daily walk, chew ice, go for short sprints, but I have used the buffalo as an analogy because they are smart and run through the storm instead of away from it like other animals. Keep yourself occupied. And you must learn not to associate being happy with being full.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What helped for me was thinking about and looking forward to getting to my goal weight and Joe is right just keep occupied by doing anything to keep your mind off of food and while you're cooking for others chewing gum helps a lot :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    You can always do the daily walk, chew ice, go for short sprints, but I have used the buffalo as an analogy because they are smart and run through the storm instead of away from it like other animals. Keep yourself occupied. And you must learn not to associate being happy with being full.

It's not hunger, it's having been a See Food eater for so long. Fasting is what I did in my teens and 20s, my anorexic days where a day's meal was 1 rice cake with peanut butter and jelly. Not healthy. Then I trained myself to take small amounts of food whenever I could. That worked fine until my 40s. Now I have to find the in between.
    Buffalo also run over cliffs.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    In another thread you stated that you were not aware of when going low carb, that you still have to watch the amount of fat eaten (common mistake). Some comments about that:

1. If we are gaining fat, we are eating at a caloric surplus. The energy to make the fat had to come from somewhere. If we eat low carb, I think we can handle a little bit more calories than if we were eating high carbs but there is a limit for either one that will cause fat gain. We wont gain any more than the surplus and we might not gain all of the surplus but at some level of surplus, no matter what type of macro is supplying the calories, we will start gaining fat. Water and muscle gain can appear to be fat gain.

2. If we eat at a deficit, we have to lose at least as much as the deficit in fat because the energy we have expended had to come from somewhere. We may be able to lose even more than the deficit (calculated by what we put in our mouth minus our BMR and minus our activity) due to inefficiencies of how calories in the mouth are turned into calories in the bloodstream. This is a 100% guarenteed way to lose weight (counting calories in the mouth -bmr-activity) and you may lose more than that.

I recommend that you count calories if you have not been doing so. Getting the bmr right can be tricky. Fast also and eat low carb as much as you can. If you do those things and you don't have any condition that will cause your BMR to go so low that your still not getting a deficit, you will lose weight!

Fasting makes losing weight easier than small meals (hunger-wise) cause when your fasting your burning fat which keeps the energy level constant and doesn't cause blood sugar spikes, that cause insulin spikes, that cause blood sugar crashes, that cause extreme hunger! The more refined the carbs are that are eaten, the more that happens and the hungrier you will get after eating them. That is what I've read and that has been my experience also.

Some other tips I think are important are:
    1. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin and eat adequate protein each day. Without those, I think the body has more cravings.
    2. If you have to eat something, make it low carb. A 1/2 tsp of coconut oil will kill my appettit and not make me hungry for other things
    3. Chew gum.
    4. Eat fiber
    5. Take ACV
    6. Stay busy and get away from the food, go outdoors, have someone else make some meals.
    7. If there is something you really want, put it on the plate and save it for dinner. Can have it but not right now!
    8. Drink a lot of water.
    9. Promise yourself you will wait 5-minutes after a hunger pang comes. I find that they come and go.
    10. When you do eat, eat the good nutritious foods 1st and the ones that will fill you up first before eating the less nutritious calorie dense stuff.
    11. Count calories
    12. Keep trying the fast and if it doesn't go well one day, go for it the next.

Those are things I could think of right now. I think everyone is trying to help you so don't get down! I'm sorry if I'm preaching to the choir and you know all these things but I don't know if you do or not so I'm stating them. I've got to run, so good luck!
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    In another thread you stated that you were not aware of when going low carb, that you still have to watch the amount of fat eaten (common mistake). Some comments about that:

1. If we are gaining fat, we are eating at a caloric surplus. The energy to make the fat had to come from somewhere. If we eat low carb, I think we can handle a little bit more calories than if we were eating high carbs but there is a limit for either one that will cause fat gain. We wont gain any more than the surplus and we might not gain all of the surplus but at some level of surplus, no matter what type of macro is supplying the calories, we will start gaining fat. Water and muscle gain can appear to be fat gain.

2. If we eat at a deficit, we have to lose at least as much as the deficit in fat because the energy we have expended had to come from somewhere. We may be able to lose even more than the deficit (calculated by what we put in our mouth minus our BMR and minus our activity) due to inefficiencies of how calories in the mouth are turned into calories in the bloodstream. This is a 100% guarenteed way to lose weight (counting calories in the mouth -bmr-activity) and you may lose more than that.

I recommend that you count calories if you have not been doing so. Getting the bmr right can be tricky. Fast also and eat low carb as much as you can. If you do those things and you don't have any condition that will cause your BMR to go so low that your still not getting a deficit, you will lose weight!

Fasting makes losing weight easier than small meals (hunger-wise) cause when your fasting your burning fat which keeps the energy level constant and doesn't cause blood sugar spikes, that cause insulin spikes, that cause blood sugar crashes, that cause extreme hunger! The more refined the carbs are that are eaten, the more that happens and the hungrier you will get after eating them. That is what I've read and that has been my experience also.

Some other tips I think are important are:
    1. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin and eat adequate protein each day. Without those, I think the body has more cravings.
    2. If you have to eat something, make it low carb. A 1/2 tsp of coconut oil will kill my appettit and not make me hungry for other things
    3. Chew gum.
    4. Eat fiber
    5. Take ACV
    6. Stay busy and get away from the food, go outdoors, have someone else make some meals.
    7. If there is something you really want, put it on the plate and save it for dinner. Can have it but not right now!
    8. Drink a lot of water.
    9. Promise yourself you will wait 5-minutes after a hunger pang comes. I find that they come and go.
    10. When you do eat, eat the good nutritious foods 1st and the ones that will fill you up first before eating the less nutritious calorie dense stuff.
    11. Count calories
    12. Keep trying the fast and if it doesn't go well one day, go for it the next.

Those are things I could think of right now. I think everyone is trying to help you so don't get down! I'm sorry if I'm preaching to the choir and you know all these things but I don't know if you do or not so I'm stating them. I've got to run, so good luck!

Thank you for your detailed answer. I do know a lot of those already, but it doesn't hurt to hear again.
    MFP hasn't helped me, per se, with its very generalized recommendations of calories and macros and exercise, but it has given me access to diaries and posts from successful dieters. When I look at that information I see patterns.
    Like:
    Most ate well below (100-200 cals) what any online calculator would set for recommended calories in, while ones closer to goal or in maintenance exercised off a deficit and didn't eat it back.
    All have "go to meals" or a set of foods from which they eat 2-3 times a week or more. (I think this is the most important thing I noticed.)
    Macros were personalized, but processed carbs were always at least limited.
    Helpful foundational information.