Yael452's Accountability Journal

Replies

• Yael452
    Yael452 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2017
    Today was interesting...
    I just ate and ate, albeit between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m., I fasted about 21 hours beforehand. I just felt really hungry today and tried to keep some control, but I don't think I did very well...so much chocolate! My dad was sharing out all of his Father's Day chocolate and since I was essentially practicing a "splurge" day I didn't say no. I plan to avoid sugar every day but Saturday, and enjoy it, but only Saturday!
    Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and I'm going to have to keep my calories a bit lower for sure.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    That's right, tomorrow is another day, you'll do great! :-)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Yah what Sandy said :)
  • Yael452
    Still ticking on, OMAD every day.
    New challenges include trying to *stop* having a coke zero every day, as it has become too much of a habit, and though it doesn't seem to affect me in any negative way...I just don't think it's a habit I should have.
    I stopped drinking any & all soda type drinks until about a year ago (went about 4-5 years without), and only very recently started having coke zero as a way of curbing my sweet tooth when I was doing a very low carb eating plan. I only have one a day in addition to 2-3 litres of water, but like I said, I recognise that it's not necessary.

The second challenge is just trying to hack this downward scale trend. While I know weight loss is not linear, the scale is just going up, then down, then back up in a cycle over and over - mostly showing lows after high levels of exercise and lost water. The last few days I've been bouncing between 160 and 162 pounds, and I'd really like to crack into the 150s and STAY THERE.
    I am seriously considering a prolonged fast of 3-5 days of just water, but I'm not sure if that's wise...
    I'll see how things go over the next few days. I'm curious to see how next week goes, my family are going camping for a week and I will be alone. I think that them being gone will eliminate a lot of variables regarding meal timing and eating, and I'll really be able to get a feeling for how exactly OMAD-ing in a large family has influenced my journey so far.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I don't think you should do the extended fast. Do you plot your weight data? If so, please post it. You should be able to see if there is an overall downward or upward trend. I've almost always had a weekly splurge day and my weight chart would go up 3-lbs every week and then I would lose 4to5-lbs over the rest of the week. It goes up and down. I'm ok with that though as long as the trend is down. You will never completely avoid the "noise" or water fluctuations in you weight so don't let them get you down. Just plot the data and look at the trends.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I second what Bob said. No extended fasts. Consistent losses mean you need consistency in your running deficit, and it shouldn't matter what anyone else does. I'm doing a video on these long fasts people keep taking. They don't really help weight loss.
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    You're doing great! You don't need extended fasts since you are still losing. Just be patient. And yes, everyone here is right about the water weight after a splurge. I had it too for days before it started to drop.
  • Yael452
    edited June 2017
    Okay guys, thanks for the input. I will refrain from doing any form of long(er) fast for the time-being.

I track on Libra, there seems to be a correlation between me weighing regularly and losing regularly; although I haven't been able to make any sense of how many calories I should be eating for my OMAD...sometimes I lose after higher calorie days, and sometimes my weight continues upward even though I've been eating in a deficit. According to my weight chart there seems to be a very sloowww downward trend. I guess I just thought given my consistently moderate/high activity level and my age (if that's even a factor here) I would be losing at least a lb a week. Then again, I know I need to give it time, and allow my body to get into a groove.

w0cpqhuy6hos.png
  • wsandy8512
    I think you're definitely showing a downward trend. Maybe if you stall, rather than going lower for calories, maybe try eat at maintenance for a bit to try and shake things up. I'm no where near maintenance, but I enjoy reading a lot on MFP and I see that often given as advice to those who are stalled as the first thing to try as opposed to lowering calories.
  • Yael452
    Start weight:162.9
    Sunday 28/05/17: 161.3 (-1.6)
    Sunday 4/06/17: 160.7 (-0.6)
    Changed weigh-in day to Thursday
    Thursday 8/06/17: 158.9 (-1.8)
    Thursday 15/06/17: 162.2 (+3.3)
    Thursday 22/06/17: 157.6 (-4.6)
    Thursday 29/06/27: 160.9 (+3.3)

Onward and downward! (Hopefully!)
  • Yael452
    @wsandy8512 today I ate at maintenance, for no other reason than I was pretty hungry and I also thought it might be something to try for two or three days. I actually feel like I could eat more, but looking at my diary for today (and yesterday) it just feels like so much food for one person!
    At some point I have to cut it off, haha :wink:
  • blambo61
    Get your protein. I swear it makes me feel much more full the next day!
  • blambo61
    Your graph does show a downward trend. Not fast but it is downward.
  • Yael452
    edited June 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Your graph does show a downward trend. Not fast but it is downward.

Indeed! I suppose I should be grateful it isn't going up above my starting weight. I'm an impatient person..so that doesn't help!

Tomorrow will be an interesting day; My family are leaving for their week-long camping trip in Cornwall, and my brother and I have the house to ourselves :smile:
    I am really looking forward to not having food distractions, or basically anything else on offer besides what I plan for - and plan I have! If there's one thing I get a lot of satisfaction out of, it's planning my meals in a "ritualistic" way whereby I can enjoy having exactly what I want, while watching a nice movie, or sitting at the table in peace. It's not that I can't do these things with family members around - it's just much more...chaotic, and doesn't usually turn out the way I plan.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I plan to clean the house (since it'll finally be empty), go for a run around midday, and then in the evening I'm meeting up with a friend to see the movie "Baby Driver". I plan to only break my fast after the movie is over, because I am hoping to do 24-hours of complete fasting. I've downloaded a fasting app which times your fast for you. I feel like I've only been getting 20-21 hours, and I think doing closer to 23-24 hours will give me an edge I am currently lacking. We're planning to eat at a place called "Nandos", a chicken joint which makes awesome grilled/peri-peri chicken.
    I don't think they have it in the States, but they do in most Commonwealth countries. It started in my home country of South Africa, and so it has a special place in my heart!
    I've already checked out the menu and planned what I'm going to eat so that I know what the calories will come out at. If I play it right, I should have room for some frozen yoghurt - but I'm going to see how I feel.

Exercise wise tomorrow will be quite intense; cleaning the house, a planned run of around 5 miles, and then walking into town (2 miles) to meet my friend, and walking home. In all honesty I'm looking forward to it!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I want to see that movie too but when I go to the movies it has to be my splurge day because I cannot resist the popcorn :p Have a fun day tomorrow!!!
  • Yael452
    @brendagaudette I don't find it too hard to forego popcorn if I know there's something better waiting...I've always hated feeling over-stuffed in a movie because that feeling always detracts from the experience for me - but that's me! My friend offered to get me a drink, so I got a medium Coke Zero which was perfect for me. All-in-all, a fun day!
    Oh and the movie was good! I'd recommend it :smile:

d4m73moz3ujq.png

^There's my fasting tracker, as you can see I fasted over 24 hours. I didn't even feel it!
  • Yael452
    Today I did my usual 4-mile trail walk, followed by movie watching in the afternoon and then a 3.5 mile run around the main city park.

I put some thought into my OMAD today, since I had the house to myself. I figured I would scour Netflix for something good and enjoy a relaxing show or movie while eating my OMAD.
    I made a egg & chicken omelette with avocado and some leftover sweet potato fries. I had some "Maya Gold" dark chocolate afterwards. The whole meal was it was extremely filling!

kaxina6hmkd1.jpg

• wsandy8512
    What a lovely day you had and your meal is looks fabulous! What's the dressing on top of your sweet potato fries? I bought sweet taters yesterday to make some, but wasn't sure what to put on or dip them into because ketchup just doesn't seem right. Lol
  • Yael452
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    What a lovely day you had and your meal is looks fabulous! What's the dressing on top of your sweet potato fries? I bought sweet taters yesterday to make some, but wasn't sure what to put on or dip them into because ketchup just doesn't seem right. Lol

@wsandy8512 I just used straight-up mayo, which I like eating with sweet potato fries. I find ketchup too strong for sweet potato fries usually. I'd use ranch dressing, but they don't sell it at most UK grocery stores (that I know of).
    Last night at Nandos, I had a side salad called "Supergrain Salad" which had this buttermilk dressing on it, I really need to try and find the recipe online because it tasted lovely!
  • wsandy8512
    Yael452 wrote: »
    wsandy8512 wrote: »

@wsandy8512 I just used straight-up mayo, which I like eating with sweet potato fries. I find ketchup too strong for sweet potato fries usually. I'd use ranch dressing, but they don't sell it at most UK grocery stores (that I know of).
    Last night at Nandos, I had a side salad called "Supergrain Salad" which had this buttermilk dressing on it, I really need to try and find the recipe online because it tasted lovely!

Thank you! I imagine mayo would work, but ranch or buttermilk would definitely add some pizzazz. :)