Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I got in the water twice this week but completely forgot to log in.

Tuesday Nooner - 1000m of struggle in a crowded double lane 3 Humans and 2 WTFRUD. 2 people who didn't - wouldn't follow the concept of circle swimming. They would stop mid pool and talk, turn at the wall and head back in the same lane. It could be attributed to a "cultural difference" there was lots of Hand Signals but they just didn't catch on.

Thursday Evening - 1600m; 750m tri-Athlon time trial and then mixed drills.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Had a lie in this morning. Was supposed to be up before 7 and meet the Running Club for the Saturday long Run. Rolled over and looked at the clock 9:41 ;) . Obviously I needed the rest.
    Did make it to the pool for 12:30 swim. After the last 2 crowded swims it was glorious with only 5 people in the pool.

Managed to get in a decent swim. 1700m

750m Free Tri-Athlon Time Trial 18:25
    5 x 50m Free @ 1:15 ; Clean Flip turns at both ends - Head Straight = No Vertigo
    5 x 50m Back @ 2:00 ; Some ugly flip turns as I learn the timing for rolling, 1 stroke and flip
    5 x 50m Breast @ 2:00
    4 x 50m Kick
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2500m

400 warmup

400 kick

7 sets of
    100 on 2.00 moderate pace
    2x 50 on 1.30 90% pace

2 sets free
    2 sets free kick
    1 set back
    1 set back kick
    1 set free

300 mixed warmdown
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Since getting back from a camping trip in the mountains I have really been struggling to get back in a good exercise cycle/routine. Just don't/can't seem to get in the right frame of mind.
    Doesn't matter if it is swimming, running, biking or hiking/Backpacking its all just Blaaaaa right now.

Noon Hour struggle in the pool today. I had a double lane all to myself and it just didn't matter. No MoJo and no get up and Go.
    10 x 25 free
    10 x 25 back
    10 minutes stretching/wallowing around in the deep end.
    10 x 25 breast
    10 x 25 free
    Flip turns just weren't happening, I was to early or to late on the turn
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I totally get it. But I use those days as a mental thing. For me, I get frustrated with the crummy swim, but also I'm learning to be pleased with the fact that I got to the pool and struggled through it.

I got my mile in yesterday. It was not as hard as I expected. I'm trying to add a couple of swim days to my week. Also trying to add a run day (I've only been running one day a week for about 2 years). I'm finally having more good swims than not :) It makes me much more motivated to get there and get in the water. I'm still not jumping in when I see 2 lanes available with 4 people each in them...
  • emmab0902
    Options
    3200m

200 warmup

4x 100 pull on 2.00

4x 50 kick on 1.30

Endurance set

5x 100 free on 2.00 holding 1.25 or below
    4x 200 free on 3.45 holding 2.55 or below
    3x 300 free on 5.15 holding 4.25 or below

200 warmdown
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Today was a Good Day after the recent multi-day suck fest.
    Noon-Hour Swim. 750m Tri-Athlon Time Trial 18:45. Not my best time ( 18:02) but so much better than my last 2 weeks.
    Added in another 500m of Stroke Drills.

5 x 50m Breast Stroke. Pull Buoy, Victor Davis
    5 x 50m Back Stroke. Pull Buoy, Fins, One Arm
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Another good (no, great!) swim yesterday. I've been rewatching the videos about mistakes made when swimming freestyle to see what's going wrong with my kick. I've also been adding more kick drills. It's paying off. I figured out that my left hand is pulling waaaay too deep, so when I turn to breathe on my right side, my hips drop and my kick nearly stops. When I'm not taking a breath on that side, it's not as noticeable because my body stays flat rather than rotating. So I've been trying to pull back toward the hip (which I do on the right side, making it easier to breathe AND kick on my non-dominant side. It's all so interesting. The results are better swims, and sore arms.

I'm getting faster (once I get warmed up, that is). My swim buddy who I see at the pool several times a week commented that my kick is much stronger than before, and while we used to be at about the same pace, I am much faster than he is now. I still really enjoy sharing a lane with him though.

So there's work to be done, but what a difference the work and some time makes. I've been feeling like my swims are gradually getting better (technique), and now, rather than the odd fantastic swim, there are lots of them :)
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2000m with a sore shoulder and chest infection. Ugh!!

400 swim

300 pull

100 kick

200 swim

2x 100IM

200 kick

200 pull

100 kick

2x 100IM

100 warmdown
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for swimming with a hurt knee? it's been two weeks and getting better but still can't kick with it. I've been swimming with two arms and one leg but can't get my heart rate up.(you'd think it would be harder but I can't get any speed and I can't do it for long)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Today: 1 mile @ 61minutes
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been more than two months because of pool repairs, closures for lack of staff, my travel and research, but I FINALLY got back in the water today. Did't count laps, but swam for 85 minutes, so I'm estimating 1.7 miles
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Hurt knee, swim with a pull boy, legs still, face down, butt up, and dig with you arms, hope you have good luck.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Got to swim at my old Y up in Lowell. We were up in MA for my brothers wedding.
    14.5 hours driving up. 15.5 goes back.
    Finally got back to my Y today.
    4.25 miles.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 1 mile @ 63minutes
  • emmab0902
    Options
    No swimming for me. Have torn my shoulder again but this time it could spell the end for my swimming. Find out on Monday. Pretty scared :cry:
  • juliet3455
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    No swimming for me. Have torn my shoulder again but this time it could spell the end for my swimming. Find out on Monday. Pretty scared :cry:
    Noooo. Hoping for a positive outcome Miss Emma.
    You are (always have been and always will be, since early days online) an inspiration for me to improve my skills.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Noooo. Hoping for a positive outcome Miss Emma.
    You are (always have been and always will be, since early days online) an inspiration for me to improve my skills.

Ditto here, Emma. I sincerely hope you get good news. I can't imagine not seeing your swims posted here :heartbreak:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4.25 miles today.
    Didn't get to the pool yesterday. My back was still sore and stiff from being in the dog house all weekend. Well, technically, building a dog house.
  • Bruceapple
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Today: 1 mile @ 69 minutes

Miss Emma, take it easy let it heal, best of luck.
    I had to cut way back because of my shoulder.