Very frequent urination

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
From Friday till this morning I went off any attempt at keto - I was eating out - piles of home made food - no way I'm going to get the right value - so I guessed and the actual cals and carbs will be much higher. - All I know is that i've eaten much larger quantities than when I go on vacation

Today I'm eating more normal- carbs at 40 so far

Does this explain the excess water discharge that started midday today?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs soak up a ton of fluids to process them. When you drop them, you'll dump fluids again. Make sure to watch those electrolytes to avoid the lows, but you should be good.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Thanks - I've been drinking salted coffee - yuch - luckily I work at home next to the bathroom

Also - do you think doing Yoga- puts pressure on things and makes it worse - I'm mostly using poses for back pain.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Shut yer mouth. I love salted coffee.

No really, I do!
  • Bob314159
    Options
    I'm surprised - its not that I've been back on keto for a few days - just today - my guess is I was up near 250 carbs on Friday and Saturday. OTOH - the excess water seems to have cleared up
  • Bob314159
    Options
    You really wanna see something crazy? Do the stupid *kitten* I did, and do a carb refeed with bagels one day. 1000g starch, 12g sodium, and two gallons of water due to thirst. I gained 15 pounds in two days, held it for a week, then spent another two days peeing every twenty minutes.

Never again.

Yes - sounds similar - also explains my thirst
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    so that is what was happening.... and i was scared that it was some symptom of pre/diabetes
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You really wanna see something crazy? Do the stupid *kitten* I did, and do a carb refeed with bagels one day. 1000g starch, 12g sodium, and two gallons of water due to thirst. I gained 15 pounds in two days, held it for a week, then spent another two days peeing every twenty minutes.

Never again.

@Gallowmere1984 - I sincerely have to say that this is an epic level description, rivaling that of the "sugar free gummy bears" Amazon.com reviews! :D *dying*
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    Thanks - I've been drinking salted coffee - yuch - luckily I work at home next to the bathroom

Also - do you think doing Yoga- puts pressure on things and makes it worse - I'm mostly using poses for back pain.

@Bob314159 - Puts pressure on what things? The bladder? Depending on the pose/position, possibly. I know that me personally, I have pelvic floor dysfunction, so there are a number of yoga poses I am supposed to modify if I do them, but generally, yoga makes most things better. That being said, I would imagine that certain poses should be avoided with certain conditions. Did you find a yoga resource online specific to your back pain/condition? That's what I would recommend, if you haven't done so yet. It can show you which poses worsen/aggravate things, etc.
  • Bob314159
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Bob314159 - Puts pressure on what things? The bladder? Depending on the pose/position, possibly. I know that me personally, I have pelvic floor dysfunction, so there are a number of yoga poses I am supposed to modify if I do them, but generally, yoga makes most things better. That being said, I would imagine that certain poses should be avoided with certain conditions. Did you find a yoga resource online specific to your back pain/condition? That's what I would recommend, if you haven't done so yet. It can show you which poses worsen/aggravate things, etc.

Pressure on my bladder. I just started yoga a few weeks ago. My back is a mess cause I have an online support job where i'm sitting for 7 hours with a 30 minute break - no chance to take 5 minute breaks. I'm doing mainly restorative yoga from books + youtube and I had two intensive one on one classes. Its made a big difference.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Pressure on my bladder. I just started yoga a few weeks ago. My back is a mess cause I have an online support job where i'm sitting for 7 hours with a 30 minute break - no chance to take 5 minute breaks. I'm doing mainly restorative yoga from books + youtube and I had two intensive one on one classes. Its made a big difference.

Do yourself a (very masochistic) favor and pick up Dr. Kelly Starrett's book "Becoming a Supple Leopard". You will hate life for the first month, but man once you get all of that tissue broken free, you start to feel amazing. He actually puts a big focus on undoing the damage done by all of the damned sitting that we do. Most back pain actually tends to originate in the hips and butt, which makes sense when you think about it. They are in a far more compromised position when sitting than the back is, unless you just have Quasimodo tier posture.
  • Bob314159
    Options

Do yourself a (very masochistic) favor and pick up Dr. Kelly Starrett's book "Becoming a Supple Leopard". You will hate life for the first month, but man once you get all of that tissue broken free, you start to feel amazing. He actually puts a big focus on undoing the damage done by all of the damned sitting that we do. Most back pain actually tends to originate in the hips and butt, which makes sense when you think about it. They are in a far more compromised position when sitting than the back is, unless you just have Quasimodo tier posture.

good idea - I've read his web stuff and like it
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Shut yer mouth. I love salted coffee.

No really, I do!

Yep, me too except I intersperse a sip of coffee with a lick of my salt lamp.
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ex physio professional here...Can you get a Swiss ball in a rolling cradle to sit on? Google and you'll know what I'm talking about. That was one of the first suggestions we made to clients for back issues due to long hours seated. If your company has any workers safety committee etc you can approach them with physio or doctor recommendations and likely get it covered. Then again, I'm in Canada. Not sure of your situation at the worksite.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @canadjineh - So, like this? http://www.rehabmart.com/product/swiss-ball-chair-24363.html

Since it is used for core exercises, it makes me wonder if it would mess up my pelvic floor stuff. I'm not allowed to do crunches or squats or anything that loosens the pelvic floor, and I have to modify ALL core exercises... I might have to ask about that, if I ever go back to the POP PT... Do you have any ideas?
  • Bob314159
    edited July 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Ex physio professional here...Can you get a Swiss ball in a rolling cradle to sit on? Google and you'll know what I'm talking about. That was one of the first suggestions we made to clients for back issues due to long hours seated. If your company has any workers safety committee etc you can approach them with physio or doctor recommendations and likely get it covered. Then again, I'm in Canada. Not sure of your situation at the worksite.

I'm self employed - working from my home office. I have an Aeron/Herman Miller posture chair - which solved severe back problems I used to have. But in the last year I switched from 4 hour shifts to 7 - which maybe part of the problem.

I had been considering quitting my job, but so far the yoga is helping enough.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Self employed... that can be tough. My hubby is self employed too. Glad the chair & yoga is helping. Have you thought about a standing desk - changes height seated to standing easily and back again? Also maybe a scaling back of hours without movement breaks.
  • canadjineh
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @canadjineh - So, like this? http://www.rehabmart.com/product/swiss-ball-chair-24363.html

Since it is used for core exercises, it makes me wonder if it would mess up my pelvic floor stuff. I'm not allowed to do crunches or squats or anything that loosens the pelvic floor, and I have to modify ALL core exercises... I might have to ask about that, if I ever go back to the POP PT... Do you have any ideas?

Yep, kinda like that but I'd choose one with a back support especially at first like this: google Isokinetics Inc brand Fitness Ball Chair. Sorry I'm on my tablet and don't know how to link the page. You can try Amazon. They have it listed. Cheaper models are not adjustable and that is VERY important. This one has 4 adjustments for the back support and 4 for cradle height and the ball is rated burst proof to 300 lb. You would not have to use it for crunches to improve core functionality but I would definitely show it to your PT and discuss your specific situation first. It takes some 'breaking in' to sit on it comfortably for a full day. You would be muscle sore & tired if you did a full day right away. If you sit on one incorrectly you may fall off, lol, ie. if you slouch. It 'forces' you to sit properly. Spinal movement (bouncing on the ball while sitting) encourages cerebrospinal fluid flow,, also a good thing. When you get really comfortable on the ball you don't need a back support on it. You don't have to get fancy though, just buy a professional ball in the correct size for your leg measurements and really you don't even need a rolling cradle for it unless you usually roll around the office in a regular chair. Standing up to go elsewhere in the office adds squats too lol :D
    Forgot to add that the cheap balls tend to leak, get weird bulges after a while, and aren't burst proof rated for higher weights or more vigorous use (one can safely do a whole aerobic program on the professional models with Russian kicks, etc).
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Self employed... that can be tough. My hubby is self employed too. Glad the chair & yoga is helping. Have you thought about a standing desk - changes height seated to standing easily and back again? Also maybe a scaling back of hours without movement breaks.

Sit/Stand desks are the way to go. I have one at work and I converted my computer desk at home to a standing desk plus lifted my drawing table and easel to standing height. I only really sit to work when I am doing small paintings or sketches at home. I've been standing so long at work it actually feels unnatural to sit for extended periods of time. You do have to work into standing and set up the desk ergonomically plus a tall chair for leaning helps at the beginning. The one must thing you have to have is an anti-fatigue mat. Don't skip on the quality of the mat and have some comfortable shoes. Also move around and don't lock your knees.

I don't suffer from neck, shoulder, or wrist pain anymore plus I tend to be more focused and creative standing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »

Sit/Stand desks are the way to go. I have one at work and I converted my computer desk at home to a standing desk plus lifted my drawing table and easel to standing height. I only really sit to work when I am doing small paintings or sketches at home. I've been standing so long at work it actually feels unnatural to sit for extended periods of time. You do have to work into standing and set up the desk ergonomically plus a tall chair for leaning helps at the beginning. The one must thing you have to have is an anti-fatigue mat. Don't skip on the quality of the mat and have some comfortable shoes. Also move around and don't lock your knees.

I don't suffer from neck, shoulder, or wrist pain anymore plus I tend to be more focused and creative standing.

Your results don't shock me at all. Humans were evolved to move almost constantly. Whoever designed the chair, desk and cubicle should all be dug up and have their corpses drawn, quartered and burned.