How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why my messages keep on being cut :/

Are you using phone emojis? That sometimes makes anything after it cut off.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Did Week 6 Day 3 yesterday, managed fine. Looking forward to steadily increasing my distance.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My injury is a minor case of plantar fasciitis in my heel, but have been wearing a cushioned heel support which is helping immensely. Basically: I walk on my toes more at the moment.

But I decided yesterday I would try a run (I caught the bug, what can I say). I ran, felt a bit odd at first but persevered. After 7 mins or so I was in a good rhythm and the heel was coping very well. However, after 3k I decided to give my foot a rest and decided to walk home for the remaining 1.3k. After 0.5k of walking I started running again because it was simply more comfortable.

Heel is still fine; certainly no worse than before the run. So I might just keep at it with slightly shorter runs (about 4k) until it's healed.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why my messages keep on being cut :/

Are you using phone emojis? That sometimes makes anything after it cut off.

That's it most likely. Thanks! :smile:

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    After more than a week off, I did my 5K yesterday. My legs got very tired in the last third so I walked a couple of times (I gave myself a minute each time). I still PR'd by about 30 seconds, which I think was part of my problem. I felt so decent when I started that I ran too fast. After the run, I ran up a hill as far as I could go and then back down again, three times. I'm going back to the idea that I might just increase my runs by increments, rather than doing the program. I have a few days to decide before my next straight run.

Plans for this week - Tuesday morning, hill training; Wednesday evening, straight run; Friday morning, straight run. We are doing the 10K route again this weekend, but this time we plan to run the flatter parts. It's less than two months away now, so it's time to get serious, especially with the hills.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I woke up this morning and my body said heck no and I went back to bed. So I'm going to run up and down the hill by my house in the later evening.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I was meant to start week 7 today but I have a horrendous tension headache so it's yoga, deep heat and an early night for me. Hoping it won't hang on for a 3rd day
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    That's my week 6, day 1 run today.

And indeed it's amazing to be part of this group, a group of runners!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I wasn't feeling it last night so I went on one of the dirt trails. It was really tough compared to my straight runs. I only did about 2 miles (about 1.5 on the dirt), slowly for me, and I am actually sore today -- quads and abs. Since my 10K is a trail, albeit paved, I realize that I need to do more trail training if I'm feeling like this the next day. So I am going to do 1-2 flat runs a week for distance/speed and 1-2 trail runs of whatever distance I can do, with an emphasis on the trail training.

I also had a hard time catching my breath last night, which seems to be a hormonal thing that happens (I'm at an age of irregular cycles but I've noticed a pattern). I really enjoyed the new scenery, but the run itself falls into the category of "ugly run."
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Was making all kinds of TOM-related excuses not to get out of bed and run this morning but forced myself to shut up and do it. Damn that was tough, I was ready to quit and go back to bed but refused to let myself. So week 3 is done, going to do it again though, definitely don't feel ready to take on week 4 yet, especially not in this heat.
    Saw there's a 5.5km near us at the end of October, might sign myself up for that for a little extra motivation.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I've only run twice this week, and once was for just a couple of miles. The week before that, nothing. But I'm up and about to head out to train on our 10K route.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I have decided to veer away from the C25K program and I'm going to do alternative days of intervals and non-intervals. Kind of making it my own.

So plan is:

Tonight: 5km route - 3 x 12 Minute run intervals with 3 minute walk intervals

Wednesday: 4km route - 25 minute run - no walking

Friday: 5km route - 2 x 15 Minute run intervals with a 3 minute walk interval

Sunday: 4.5km route - 28 minute run - no walking

Tuesday: 5km route - 2 x 15 minute run intervals with 2 minute walk interval

Thursday: 4.5km route - 30 minute run - no walking

Saturday: 5km route - no walking - no time limit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I have decided to veer away from the C25K program and I'm going to do alternative days of intervals and non-intervals. Kind of making it my own.

So plan is:

Tonight: 5km route - 3 x 12 Minute run intervals with 3 minute walk intervals

Wednesday: 4km route - 25 minute run - no walking

Friday: 5km route - 2 x 15 Minute run intervals with a 3 minute walk interval

Sunday: 4.5km route - 28 minute run - no walking

Tuesday: 5km route - 2 x 15 minute run intervals with 2 minute walk interval

Thursday: 4.5km route - 30 minute run - no walking

Saturday: 5km route - no walking - no time limit.

So the Irish weather messed with me and I ended up doing the 4.5km route cos I was melting but other than that not a bad evening will need to do some major stretching though, can tell I am going to feel this tomorrow.

Can't wait to get some compression socks on payday and see if they improve my recovery.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    back to it last night. just a lil run with my gf. Who hasn't run since her injury months ago

18:28 and 1.72 miles. Felt good. But once I had stopped, wow the coughing started.
    Planning a 5 mile Thurs with my mate which should be fun! he says I run like a snail :p
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 7 starts for me tomorrow. So intervals are now a thing of the past and now it's just increasing time :open_mouth: week 6 did go alright so I am not too scared but more amazed how far I've come.

I also participated in a kids' mini marathon (1K) last weekend with my son. That was a tough 1K with a backpack on my back and hills on the way :smiley: And it made me think that I need to start doing some hills later on, I've been running on rather flat surfaces.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 was my usual mental battle, still amazed that I am actually running 5 minute intervals without dying, where did this new body come from and what happened to the crappy one I used to live in?
    Not even finished the week yet and already the little voice in my head is telling me I ought to repeat it next week rather than moving on to week 5. I'm starting to learn that the little voice talks a load of b*llocks though, so we will see come Monday.