Options
    I want to start

Just do it!
  • AshleighFowler1
    AshleighFowler1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rduhlir wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

It is your wonderful, poster posting, information sharing running friend Becky, back with another new post. This is a welcome to all the new comers. I come back from vacation for 4 days and see like 20 new people. Winter is over, spring has begun and it has herded a new crop of C25K participants. Funny how the sun does that to people.

Whether you are a week in or are researching to start your journey, this is one thread you want to read. This will be the low down. Your one stop, shop to get all information you need to make sure your starting is injury free and as successful as possible. So here we go....the biggies that everyone should know before begining.....

1. Get a check up
    Sure you feel great. But if you are a man over 45 or a woman over 55, and especially if you have known illnesses, go see your doctor before starting. There might be risk factors you dont' know about, i.e. maybe you have high blood pressure and don't know it. Get the okay from your doctor, or at least set up a monitoring schedule to make sure you remaining healthy and injury free. This is a good time to get recommendations from your doctor on sports medicine clinics, for either sports massages or for anyt injuries you might end up getting further down the road.

2. Set a goal
    They become your incentives. If you don't set goals, you'll get bored. Becoming bored means you increase your chance of quiting. Set a target. Maybe it is as simple as being able to run for 30 minutes straight, or maybe it is to run that 5K in July. Make sure it is realistic. Starting today, and hoping to run a 5K tomorrow isn't.

3. Take it slow
    If you need to repeat a week, do not be afraid to do so. Also, don't go out guns blazing. Slow is the new fast. Going too fast or too much too soon can cause injury, which puts you right back at the begining.

4. Buy Running shoes
    Most people dont' want to invest in this at the begining because they are afraid they won't stick it out. But, buying running shoes can mean the difference between success and failure. Go to a running store and get fitted. That doesn't mean you have to buy them there. I have gone to the running store, gotten fitted and then found the shoes for half the price at Rack Room.

5. Set up a walk base
    This is super important. If you are someone who can not go 100 feet without stopping for a breath of air then you need to stop and consider where you are realisticly. Creating a 30 minute/3 days a week walking base will help you increase your chance at success.

6. Consider time over distance
    When you start, it shouldn't be about how far or how fast you can do something. It should be about how long. Running by time de-emphasized pace, and allows you to adjust to how YOU feel that day.

7. Tap the power of three
    Three days a week minimum. Studies have shown that people who do not run regularly are more prone to quit. You can not achive running fitness unless you do it consistently.

8. Get to week 6
    I say this because at this point you actually in the running portion of the program, have will have been running consistantly for 3 weeks. This is the turning point for most runners. Your metabolism is changing, you're getting more and more energetic, and your diet has probably improved.

9. Endurance over speed
    Work on completing the program before worrying about how fast you are going. Once you are done you can readjust your focus to speed.

10. Seek Peer Pressure
    Join a running club, or go to your local running store and see if they do organized runs. Breakaway (both Memphis stores) have group runs on Wednesdays. Meeting friends and having running buddies will help you maintain the new lifestyle.

11. Reward Yourself
    When you hit milestones, give yourself a treat. Get yourself a medal, or get a cupcake (Gigi's was my reward hahaha). But, reward yourself for a job well done.

12. Get your family involved
    If you have ever wondered if you could get your kids into it, the answer is yes. The C25K program is actually a good program to start children out on. The distance is minimal, and the run/walk splits are perfect recoveries for growing bodies. And, if you can enlist your SO to get involved you can make the runs family time.

13. Mix it up
    Don't run the same place very time. Get out and run every where. Run down the street (get flashers if there are no sidewalks), run trails, run around the pond, run at the park.

14. Accept bad runs
    Everyone has them. Everyone will have them. They are unavoidable. Accept the fact that not every run will end up you feeling great. On those tough days, slow down and focus on the task at hand.

15. Accentuate the positive
    Don't put added pressure on yourself. Focus on the accomplishment of each workout.

16. Stretch, stretch, oh and stretch
    What to stretch?
    >>Hamstrings
    >>Calves
    >>Quads

• VeganChick2012
    VeganChick2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much accepting me into this group. I am new to my fitness pal and this group. Cant wait to get back into running shape
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Considering doing this program...but I'm a pretty big girl,I've been at this for 84 days..mostly been walking,some cycling classes here and there,I've lost 15 lbs. How long/or how far should I be able to walk before I try this?
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    Considering doing this program...but I'm a pretty big girl,I've been at this for 84 days..mostly been walking,some cycling classes here and there,I've lost 15 lbs. How long/or how far should I be able to walk before I try this?
    I was comfortably walking 5k on a fairly regular basis. I started losing weight at 250lbs, and didn't start this program until I was about 215lbs. I thought about it sooner, but wanted to be a bit lighter before running. It works really well :)

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start the c5k this week!
  • rubadub888
    rubadub888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great information here. Any advice for the overweight beginner considering starting C25K?
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    rubadub888 wrote: »
    Great information here. Any advice for the overweight beginner considering starting C25K?

Just do it!

Take note, walking/running on a treadmill is sooo different than walking/running outdoors. I started the program on the treadmill and tried to do W1D3 outside - epic failure. It's okay, I'm regrouping and will start again in Sept.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    rubadub888 wrote: »

The best advice I got was - "If you can run any slower then you're running too fast."
  • emerrywe
    emerrywe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Thank you. I am currently building my walking base, doing 5 to 8K, 3 to 5 times per week and some core stengthening and alignment work(miracle balls) before I jump in. I have made the intention known to a few people that I want to start running and I bought a good pair of shoes. I have never liked running with other people because I am so slow andmy face turns purple...my goal in doing this program is to feel comfortable running with others so I can access the peer support to keep it up for the long term.
  • ShellyAnn7273
    ShellyAnn7273 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Started my 5k last night. W1D1 finished. Hope to hear from other beginners as the weeks roll by.
  • gem_t_86
    gem_t_86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've done some C25K runs in the past, but I have no willpower whatsoever so haven't really stuck with them. Starting again on W1D1 tomorrow and determined to see it through to the end!
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    vegangem86 wrote: »
    I've done some C25K runs in the past, but I have no willpower whatsoever so haven't really stuck with them. Starting again on W1D1 tomorrow and determined to see it through to the end!
    It's a lot of work, but it is worth it. I'm really happy being able to run 5k :)
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Plan when you start. I started yesterday in my suit and crombi, I guess I can do better with the right attire.
  • appaflop
    appaflop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful. Thanks guys!
  • MommaWinski
    MommaWinski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information very helpful!
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first day over, I can't quite make it yet. At the 5 th run I can't make the full time. Also bringing my dog along, sometimes she wants to stop and sniff everything so that slows me down too. But my eventual goal is to run the Gasparilla 5k in February.
  • ashleyselland
    ashleyselland Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I think I need to go get myself some running shoes. :)
  • ShallaLovee21
    ShallaLovee21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for the info here! I will be starting this asap! I got discouraged from exercising last week trying to do what I used to be able to do. My knees were not happy at all and I fell back into my old ways but I'm determined to get back on the wagon and this seems perfect to start off.