How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Week 7 day 1 for me today. I still feel like it can't be me doing this :smiley: yet I just keep on going and enjoy the music. And bang, jogged 25 mins straight - me who did not jog before this like ever. And within 35 mins (including the warmup and cool down walks, I covered 4,5 km. I am definitely feeling now that I am capable of doing 5K :smile:
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I did a 5K race in week 8 after only getting to 4.5, so you're definitely capable of it, especially with race day excitement.

Things have been a little rough. I've been having asthma issues for the past few weeks and then on Monday I got mosquito bites. I've had increasing reactions to them and I had a very severe reaction this time. I ended up needing a prescription steroid cream which helped, but I only managed two miles today. My time is getting better but I haven't been able to do the distance without walking a bit for a few weeks.

The background story is that I have a previous soft diagnosis of fibromyalgia by one doctor that I've kept quiet about with current doctors because 99% of the time I'm good and my migraine drug is one of the things they prescribe for it already. But between the asthma, fatigue, and muscle pain that I've had the past few weeks, along with the severe immune reaction to the bites, I'm guessing I'm having a flare up of whatever this is. I do have a previous autoimmune disease (Graves) so it's not unexpected. The good news is that my breathing was pretty OK this morning, so I seem to be getting over it. It was my stomach that cut things short and that may not even be related.

I've kept moving (did hills on Tuesday and a slowish 5K on the Sunday before), so I'm not completely behind but I think I'm going to go back to some longish intervals and see how I do before moving back to solid running because I feel like I need a structure to get back to full capacity. I'm not going to be running the full 10K in September anyway, because the elevation gains make that pretty impossible.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm signing up for another 5K in October, so that will be three races in a month: 9/30 - 10K, 10/07-5K, and 10/22-5K.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    I still have last day of week 7 left plus week 8, can't believe I'm almost done. Still didn't sign up for the 5K race, there's time till the end of this month to sign up. It's a big event with 5K, 10K, half and full marathon.

@TheGaudyMagpie I hope you're feeling better!
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have decided to veer away from the C25K program and I'm going to do alternative days of intervals and non-intervals. Kind of making it my own.

So plan is:

Tonight: 5km route - 3 x 12 Minute run intervals with 3 minute walk intervals

Wednesday: 4km route - 25 minute run - no walking

Friday: 5km route - 2 x 15 Minute run intervals with a 3 minute walk interval

Sunday: 4.5km route - 28 minute run - no walking

Tuesday: 5km route - 2 x 15 minute run intervals with 2 minute walk interval

Thursday: 4.5km route - 30 minute run - no walking

Saturday: 5km route - no walking - no time limit.

You're becoming a complete health guru! Opening your time up to facilitate MFP groups, sharing delicious recipes, creating monthly weight loss spreadsheets for everyone, blogging about your journey of successful weight loss, and now you're creating your own C25K module! Is there anything you can't do? You're like superwoman! I hope your employer never lets you leave, or they'll be missing out on an amazing person! <3:smiley:
  • allthecoolusernamesweretaken
    Options
    I did my first 5km run last week and then got sick and took about 5 days off. I did my second today. I have never run before I started using the app. I started the c25k app in May and have been working on getting up the a 5k run. I feel excited and proud that I completed this. I want to keep running 5k every other day and then begin the 10km trainer app.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    second park run on Saturday - 33:24.

Officially a minute faster than last time.

But from my Garmin (started when I passed the start line, not when began the zombie shuffle to the start line) it was 1:20 ish faster :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    After umming and ahhing all weekend I chickened out in the end and decided to repeat week 4, reason being that my knees are quite weak and I really don't want to overdo it and injure them so another week building up a stronger base won't do any harm. Anyway, probably for the best as this morning's was my first official bad run. Oh boy was it hard, I forced myself to push on and get it done, but it was ugly lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    After umming and ahhing all weekend I chickened out in the end and decided to repeat week 4, reason being that my knees are quite weak and I really don't want to overdo it and injure them so another week building up a stronger base won't do any harm. Anyway, probably for the best as this morning's was my first official bad run. Oh boy was it hard, I forced myself to push on and get it done, but it was ugly lol

I repeated a couple of weeks and tweaked bits to tailor it to what suited me, as long as you're listening to your body and doing it that way because it's better for you, rather than doing it that way because you don't believe you can do it (but probably can) then there's no harm.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Run last night was crappy. I am still having trouble breathing, and I'm achy all over. My legs are sore today again, which is just weird based on my conditioning level (I hadn't been sore in weeks until last week!). I did two miles, stopping a lot but still at a decent pace overall. I changed routes (so I'm not near water), which I'm hoping is some of the problem, as the new track is all dirt whereas the last was asphalt. It looks like I'm losing morning run times as school is starting and the scheduled times are days I have to take her, but the weather has cooled down quite a bit for afternoon runs and I'm hoping it sticks.

So I'm not sure what to do. Going to keep trying to run but I think I'm going to shift to short running intervals with short walks (like 5/1) until my breathing improves. No mosquito bites last night so at least there's that.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain @TheGaudyMagpie. I spent 4 days on the coast the weekend of the 12th of August, and when I came back home I couldn't complete 5k for love nor money, breathing being the main issue. It has taken me a few tries with some stops, but yesterday I finally completed a 5k run for the first time in 3/4 weeks (I did some shorter runs pre break because of an injury).

I should imagine running on dirt over asphalt would have made a difference for you, and a route change is likely to do the same (I know it makes it harder for me). Keep on and keep building up with short walks. The thing is, having done it once through C25K it is easier to build up again with short walking breaks.

Aiming to get another run in on Thursday. Friday I fly out to my parents for 5 days, and my best friend has already suggested a run together whilst I'm there. It'll be on the coast so that should aid my breathing. Hoping to get two runs in whilst there.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Really struggling this week. Whereas before I was finding running tough but enjoyable, this week it's just extremely tough going. I'm telling myself firmly I have to just hang in there and persevere but gawd it's hard. While I was preparing myself for c25k I was getting up, waking up, having a light breakfast and 'walk-running' an hour later. However, since the real heat kicked in I've had to start falling out of bed at 7am (I am NOT a morning person at all), throwing a coffee down my throat and getting my run in before it gets too unbearably hot (still sweat buckets though). I imagine that the combination of it being early, tiredness as I'm not sleeping well or much atm, heat and possibly also missing that bit of toast in my stomache are all adding up to work against me. Hopefully in another 3-4 weeks the heat will start to ease off enough for me to maybe run an hour later :-/
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Really struggling this week. Whereas before I was finding running tough but enjoyable, this week it's just extremely tough going. I'm telling myself firmly I have to just hang in there and persevere but gawd it's hard. While I was preparing myself for c25k I was getting up, waking up, having a light breakfast and 'walk-running' an hour later. However, since the real heat kicked in I've had to start falling out of bed at 7am (I am NOT a morning person at all), throwing a coffee down my throat and getting my run in before it gets too unbearably hot (still sweat buckets though). I imagine that the combination of it being early, tiredness as I'm not sleeping well or much atm, heat and possibly also missing that bit of toast in my stomache are all adding up to work against me. Hopefully in another 3-4 weeks the heat will start to ease off enough for me to maybe run an hour later :-/

Could you run in the evenings while it's hot?
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

Tried that but it's hotter than in the mornings plus I'm even more tired by then :-(
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Tried that but it's hotter than in the mornings plus I'm even more tired by then :-(

You can't win lol I had drop back to late evening like 9/10pm in July because it was just too humid/warm and that was in Ireland, I can't even imagine trying to run in proper humid heat. I would just be a puddle of sweat at the side of the road.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

You can't win lol I had drop back to late evening like 9/10pm in July because it was just too humid/warm and that was in Ireland, I can't even imagine trying to run in proper humid heat. I would just be a puddle of sweat at the side of the road.

lol yeah, I sometimes think half the weight I've lost was probably just in sweat! I keep telling myself (and really hope it's true) that the advantage to starting at this time of year is that by the time it gets cold (ok chilly, we don't really get proper cold) it'll feel so good I'll be flying. Might be pigs flying really but I have myself fooled into keeping going to see :-)
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    We've been hot too but it's been cooling down a bit. It really threw me off too as mornings can be difficult due to my chronic insomnia. I'm feeling bogged down too. I haven't run as much the past few weeks because things have been busy, and then the move to dirt is being difficult. I'm going again tonight and trying the Zombies Run app. I'm hoping it helps get me back on track. I now have three races between 9/30-10/22 and I really need to get my butt in gear.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Options
    Week 8, day 2 today. Felt better than before running till the end, no last minute "exhaustion" or feeling like stopping. Happy about that :smile: .

Just one more run left!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Just finished week 5, day 1. It wasn't too bad, I only had to give myself a stern talking to during the last couple of minutes :D However I am feeling more than a little wary of day 2, and am desperately trying to not even think about day 3!
    There's some weird stormy weather just arrived here this morning, which meant it was a little bit cooler this morning, that probably helped. Praying it stays that way for a few days, I could really use that help this week!