Some thoughts on 5/3/1 and how I might set it up

12346»

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    I started this 02 Jan. Hadnt been following a plan so went in with reasonably conservative one rep max estimates.

Going by the week 3 heavy sets:
    Squat:
    Cycle 1 80kg x 5
    Cycle 6 97.5kg x 5

Bench:
    Cycle 1 55kg x 10
    Cycle 5 62.5kg x 10 (in final week of Cycle 6, will be using 65kg tomorrow)

Deadlift:
    Cycle 1 95kg x 6
    Cycle 5 107.5kg x 5 (in final week of Cycle 6, will be using 110kg day 3)

OHP:
    Cycle 1 37.5kg x 8
    Cycle 5 42.5kg x 9 (in final week of Cycle 6, will be using 45kg day 4)

Im definitely adding mass, and feel really good (except for week one, day three, every cycle :D )

I feel like I am now working around my max and so its getting hard but I do see progress.

Its quite nice to compare the numbers now, I havent really looked before.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Does anyone else have a spreadsheet version that only has squats main on days 1 and 3, no deadlifts main? I've tried editing it to swap squat and deads on day 3 and it just *kitten* up the formatting. I'm not very Excel literate and it's a little frustrating.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Does anyone else have a spreadsheet version that only has squats main on days 1 and 3, no deadlifts main? I've tried editing it to swap squat and deads on day 3 and it just *kitten* up the formatting. I'm not very Excel literate and it's a little frustrating.

Yes. During week one, Day 1 has SQ 531 and DL 3x8 and Day 3 has SQ 531 and DL 3x10.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes. During week one, Day 1 has SQ 531 and DL 3x8 and Day 3 has SQ 531 and DL 3x10.

Yes! I have the same pattern (squats undulating, deads always low weight higher reps) for every week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

I see what I did. I will change it and replace the current file. But you should be able to type over the words and it should change everything.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    psuLemon wrote: »

I see what I did. I will change it and replace the current file. But you should be able to type over the words and it should change everything.

Thank you! I tried just typing over the words in the top cells where it says squats and deadlifts and it created errors in several other cells. I'm Excel illiterate so I'm afraid to try any other changes and totally screw it up.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thank you! I tried just typing over the words in the top cells where it says squats and deadlifts and it created errors in several other cells. I'm Excel illiterate so I'm afraid to try any other changes and totally screw it up.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Sorry it took so long. And most people, unless they are excel nerds, wouldnt know why it failed. It failed because the difference between " Squat vs Squats". Since I didn't use a wildcard to incorporate partial words, if you don't use an exact match, it would fail.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Thank you so much!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Just finished using the spreadsheet and wanted to THANK both of you, @SideSteel & @psuLemon , for putting it together!!!

Before I start a new spreadsheet wanted to touch base and see if you've made any updates?
  • psuLemon
    giusa wrote: »
    Just finished using the spreadsheet and wanted to THANK both of you, @SideSteel & @psuLemon , for putting it together!!!

Before I start a new spreadsheet wanted to touch base and see if you've made any updates?

I haven't. With my new job, I have been crazy busy and even barely have time to spend on the forums.
  • giusa
    Just want to double check before I download it again. No worries!
    Best of luck, hope your little one is well.
  • psuLemon
    giusa wrote: »
    Just want to double check before I download it again. No worries!
    Best of luck, hope your little one is well.

He is doing great. Gonna has a little sister soon too.
  • giusa
    How awesome! CONGRATS!!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Yay, Lemon!