Amflautist's accountability thread

Replies

• katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    wow! Another fast...how do you guys do it? I can only do it when I'm alone. Hope your knee gets better fassssst too. Sending you strength <3
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Knee fassssst*
    Day _____ Weight __ Del __ Total
    TuesPM ... 8/22 ... Last meal 2PM
    WedAM ... 8/23 ... 195.4
    ThurAM ... 8/24 ... 194.0 ... -1.4

* Lol, thanks @katjustkat for that great pun <3
  • amflautist
    Knee fassssst*
    WedAM ... 8/23 ... 195.4
    FriAM ...... 8/25 ... 193.6 ... -0.4 ... -1.8
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Niceeeeeeeeee!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Way to go!! Whoop!!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Nice!
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    Knee fassssst*
    WedAM ... 8/23 ... 195.4
    SatAM ..... 8/26 ... 192.8 ... -0.8 ... -2.6
  • wsandy8512
    Hooray!! :-)
  • katjustkat
    Wow ! Still going strong. It looks sooo rewarding. I wish I could... not yet. My longest fast was 11 days when hubby was away. But...I did that lemon water and maple syrup ( I hated the maple syrup so I used agave nectar). I did the fast till my tongue turned pink. It got a coating on it after about 3 days and when it turns pink you supposedly are cleansed from impurities. You're doing great, you'll be rewarded :)
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    Thank you Kat. I'm motivated because I leave for Spain in two weeks. These knees just gotta work! Actually I'm seeing tremendous improvement already. Just need to keep going. Today was super hard because we had an evening dinner party in our garden. I left when everyone sat down to dinner. My willpower starts flagging around 5pm, and I knew that if I stayed I'd be in trouble. Dear hubby knew why I left and he covered for me.

P.S. I don't intend to do this for more than 4-5 days at a time. A break then back to it. You did 11? Wowww wowww wowww.
  • katjustkat
    Woahhhh..that would be impossible for me to have a dinner party and not eat :# My husband was on a trip when I did mine. I stopped because I missed the physical act of eating and food! I guess it's a big part of our day. I think I started out thinking I could go 30 days but I just wasn't distracted enough....it came down to boredom.
    So cool that your knee is feeling better. I remember reading that your body has time and energy to repair and fix things when it's not using all it's energy towards metabolizing food. I think I could do a 30 day but I would have to be somewhere like in the Amazon jungle...in a hippy commune- haha
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    @amflautist You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • amflautist
    Knee fassssst*
    WedAM ... 8/23 ... 195.4
    SatAM ..... 8/26 ... 192.8 ... -0.8 ... -2.6
    SunAM .... 8/27 ... 192.2 ... -0.6 ... -3.2
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Niceeeeeeeeee!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    I admire your renewed determination amflautist.
    Your body will listen and adapt to the new direction you're heading in.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Wow, you are doing awesome! Your knee is gonna love you!!
  • amflautist
    edited August 2017
    Thank you for your encouragement everyone. I broke my fast yesterday. I felt very dizzy leaning over the laundry basket, decided I was a dizzy-enough broad already, so ate around 3PM. Those 5* days felt wonderful!

I like how I feel when fasting. Everything works better. I'll start again today. My plan for the next two weeks is fast 4-5 days, eat for 1-2 days in between, start again. Then off to Spain two weeks from today.

* Actually I think that was a 4-day fast. I'm going with the thought that it is only a fast if there is no food all day. Midnight-to-midnight. Our hormones, our genes, are tuned to expect food during daylight, so they probably don't go into fasting mode until the first full day without food. There were only 4 days that satisfied this criterion for me, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. So maybe 4 FD -> 1 OMAD -> 4 FD -> 1 OMAD etc. will be my current practice.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    amflautist wrote: »
    Thank you for your encouragement everyone. I broke my fast yesterday. I felt very dizzy leaning over the laundry basket, decided I was a dizzy-enough broad already, so ate around 3PM. Those 5* days felt wonderful!

I like how I feel when fasting. Everything works better. I'll start again today. My plan for the next two weeks is fast 4-5 days, eat for 1-2 days in between, start again. Then off to Spain two weeks from today.

* Actually I think that was a 4-day fast. I'm going with the thought that it is only a fast if there is no food all day. Midnight-to-midnight. Our hormones, our genes, are tuned to expect food during daylight, so they probably don't go into fasting mode until the first full day without food. There were only 4 days that satisfied this criterion for me, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. So maybe 4 FD -> 1 OMAD -> 4 FD -> 1 OMAD etc. will be my current practice.

What do you mean by "everything works better"? I've only fasted for a max of 24 hrs so I'm not really familiar with how it feels...

Jealous about Spain - we were there in May (Madrid and south, was awesome!). Have you decided how you are going to eat yet? (E.g. Do OMAD, eat normally, 2 meals?)

• wsandy8512
    It's good that you broke your fast and well done on going so long, that's awesome! I have the same question as @minigrrll, what's your plan for Spain, especially with all the hard work you've been doing? Or because the extended fasts have been for healing vs weight loss, aren't you too awfully concerned about regaining?
  • amflautist
    I'm changing my plan. Yesterday, in the IF group, I came across a reference to the interview below, and I listened to most of it. Normally, this interview would be TL;DR. However, I am motivated to heal my (bone-on-bone) old knees if I can, instead of a double knee replacement. I have given myself until next summer to see how far I can go on this task. If I don't get to the point where I can walk for 2-3 hours without pain, I'm going for the knee replacement. Note - I HATE this thought. Too many things can go wrong.

Here is what I learned about fasting: 1. It takes two full days before the fasting hormones are fully engaged and doing their jobs. 2. It takes a good week for the stem cells to become regenerative. 3. The actual healing takes place after the fast, when food is available again. 4. Longo says a 4-day fast really isn't enough for healing. He was talking about MS, but I am sure it's the same for all healing. All this info is coming out next January in Longo's new book.

Therefore, in order to make best use of fasting for possibly healing my knees, I am going to fast for 1 week, then slowly get back to my normal fish/veg diet WITHOUT grains & sugar (which set off my knee pain).

1 week Knee fassssst*
    OMAD Sunday 8/27 ... Last meal 3PM
    FD1 Mon 8/28 ... 195.4
    FD2 Tues 8/29 ... 194.2 ... -1.2
    FD3 Wed 8/30
    FD4 Thurs 8/31 ...
    FD5 Fri 9/1 ...
    FD6 Sat 9/2 ...
    FD7 Sun 9/3 ...
    OMAD Monday 9/4 - Sunday 9/10
    9/11 On my way to Spain.

Longo's interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE