The keto recipes that changed your journey!

Options
1235»

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »
    pzkbl295sa9v.jpg

Ham and Cheese Keto Stromboli. I LOVE these! Each one is four servings and I got the recipe from Ruled.Me. I made an extra one so I could take them for lunches this week. They reheat pretty well in the microwave.

I GOTTA make these and/or the pizza ones and cheese Danish ones that Up Late Anyway has posted (http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/cheese-danish-low-carb/). I've been looking at this type of stuff for a year now. Lol I need to get more almond flour from Amazon, I'm fresh out.
  • bjwoodzy
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had never eaten eggs before this. Growing up, my parents never made them since THEY hated eggs, and something about the smell just turned me off of them. I went "Sigh, guess I have to learn to like them..." and my first time eating scrambled eggs I was IN LOVE. Still have issues with hardboiled eggs some days, and I've yet to try any eggs with a soft center, but.... maybe someday

I'm also a picky egg eater. I don't care for the taste of eggs but I enjoy the texture as long as they're whipped, plus they're cheap and low carb protein. My eggs have to be beaten to within an inch of recognition with cream and baked or as an omelet stuffed with stuff, or scrambled with cream and smothered with cheese, veggies, spices, etc.

My fave thing to do with eggs now is make a crustless quiche...

I make one pie and cut into 8 slices and freeze. Lasts me over a week of breakfast with bacon or sausage on the side!

I think I have made about 10 variations of the same as this... changing up the type of cheese/meat/veg in them, and it's very quick to put together:

uvmq9d3o8bl6.jpg

Custard / base:
    6 eggs
    1 cup of heavy cream (you can also sub with sour cream, ricotta, etc.)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    any other spices you like

Cheeses:
    5-6 ounces of one more types of cheese, grated, cubed, or crumbled
    (I love using feta, Swiss, Jarlsberg, Gouda, Cheddar, Gruyere, but any kind you like is fine--cream cheese works best if using smoked salmon)
    1-2 ounces shredded Parmesan or Asiago for the "crust"

Add-ins:
    Meats: Smoked salmon, bacon lardons, diced sausage, or diced ham
    Veggies: Diced mushrooms, finely chopped onion, or onion sliced into thin rings, snipped scallions, diced shallot, chopped broccoli, chopped spinach

Preheat oven to 375F

In a glass pie dish, place 1 tsp bacon grease or coconut oil with your chosen veggies/meats (assuming it's precooked bacon/sausage--otherwise you'll need to saute these in a pan first--ham is already fully-cooked). If the combo of flavors is something you don't want to taste like bacon, use 1 tsp coconut oil instead. Butter will brown and make the product stick to the pan more, so bacon or coconut oil work best--avocado oil is good, too. Let saute in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, check to see if liquid is evaporated from veggies and the meats/veg are tender and set aside to cool a bit.

Usually, while that's cooking, I have the eggs, cream, and seasonings being whisked 1-2 minutes with my immersion blender, ideally using the whisk attachment (hand mixer/whisk at high speed will put more air into the mix). Beat until frothy and doubled in volume. This is best performed with a bowl that is higher than the ingredients come to, and a bit narrower than a standard mixing bowl (a pitcher works well).

Back to the pie dish: It should be a bit cooler now, you don't want to cook the custard or melt the cheese you're about to add - scatter your crumbled/diced/shredded cheeses over the ingredients you previously sauteed, and then pour your egg mix over all. Sometimes the pepper floats to the bottom of the egg mix and I forget about and wind up pouring it all into one pooled spot so add the pepper after pouring if you see this happening. Then sprinkle the grated parm/Asiago all around the edges of the egg dish, to make a nice, cheesy crispy edge.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes until it puffs up high and dry and a toothpick or knife comes out dry. If you added cheese to the top middle and it's really dark and still sort of wet in the middle, the cheese may have burned before the custard was done baking and you may need to adjust the heat next time. Just like a souffle, these things take testing out, and maybe it's more like an hour for your oven, instead of 45 minutes. It will still taste good, just have REALLY well done cheese! Just put it back in for 10-15 mins on a lower heat (let it downgrade to that heat before putting it back in).

Cover the pie dish and set in the fridge 4 hours or overnight and cut after completely chilled. I find this is the best way to slice it, otherwise, it's sort of craggy when cutting and since it's so heavy when it's hot, gets sloppy when serving and sometimes the pieces break.

Tastes great warmed up in the oven or microwave, or served cold. But since it is a custard, it's best to make it ahead of when you want to eat it. If I want it hot, it takes 40-60 seconds in the micro and with a piece of already cooked bacon on the plate and paper towel over the bacon, I am sitting down to breakfast in less than 5 minutes even on a weekday!

ddsd5x1wbehi.jpg

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    That is a fabulous recipe, and I have taken personal note of it for lunches, too! Thanks for posting such a well-explained recipe, @bjwoodzy !!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    You are welcome. It is my pleasure to share it :)
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Oh, asparagus! I forgot, I use chopped asparagus in this recipe all the time, too!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Asparagus has an odd effect on my waters.... turns it an odd colour, and gives it a weird smell... Don't think I'm alone in that. And fortunately, I love 'em!
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    eofzm7199bi3.jpg

This was my fast food breakfast! Proof that you can have a breakfast "sandwich" while on Keto! Sonic bacon egg and cheese toaster, sub extra bacon for the bead, use the bacon for the bread!
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    onpvb4h83ghf.jpg
    Keilbasa sautéed with cabbage and onion.

What type of seasoning do you use?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Jessica hasn't been around for a month or so. I'll answer. :) I make kielbasa with cabbage and onions and add only a little bit of pepper but saute it in bacon grease the vast majority of time.

I've also made it as a boiled dinner including boiled potatoes for my husband. As a boiled dinner it needs salt IMO.

Hmmm...sounds good. Dinner tonight. :) Off to the store I go for cabbage.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I do something similar to this, I like smoked paprika as a spice for this, along with some crushed garlic and onion powder, so good on a winter's night.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I would say sauerkraut is also an absolute winner, as an added side dish. Better eat that cold though, or you negate/destroy the beneficial bacteria via heating....I eat my sausages hot, but my sauerkraut at room temperature....

*Shrugs* works for me....!
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I look forward to trying kielbasa with cabbage.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Caraway seed is awesome in the sauteed cabbage and Kielbasa. Dry fry the seed first (lightly) to bring out the best flavour then add the fat to the pan before frying the onion/cabbage mix.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I use both caraway seeds and juniper berries in my sauerkraut. the adding of them elevates the flavour to different heights of yumminess.....
    Will add seeds to my next cabbage cook-in. @canadjineh ... ! *Thumbs up!*