LCHF for cancer? Or other helpful diets?

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
My MIL has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and a very close family friend, who my kids call Grandma, has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer (inoperable due to an enlarged heart). Both of these lovely women do not have a good prognosis nor do they have many treatment options. I am looking into diets and alternative treatments (like helpful supplements) that might help them in their fights with cancer, and I would appreciate reading any thoughts or knowledge you all have whether it is LCHF or not.

To further complicate things, my MIL is a vegetarian. Or rather, her significant other is vegetarian, and he does most of the cooking, so she is a vegetarian 95% of the time as a result. She has also had some gall bladder issues this past year... but now I wonder if it was actually related to pancreatic cancer.

For her, I wonder if Gerson therapy might be helpful. I don't know if pancreatic cancer is metabolically dependent on sugar or not. I don't know if lower carb and Warburg's theories would help.

Our friend with lung cancer has a weak heart and also has T2D. I think low carb would help her but I don't know if she would change her diet that much.

Any ideas and thoughts or rabbit holes to dive down would be most welcomed. Both women are open to ideas.

I hope you all don't mind this posting. It isn't exactly a low carb topic but you all are such a supportive and educated bunch that I thought I'd ask. Thanks. :)

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4762423/#!po=24.4548

It's a long *kitten* read, but basically, no. It probably won't hurt, but the tumor's environment is more than capable of metabolic adaptation that allows it to fuel tumor growth via glutamine conversion if glucose intake proves insufficient.

ETA: upon further reading, the damned things can also use autophagy to essentially rebuild itself even if the person were to be completely starved. Diet ain't gonna help.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4762423/#!po=24.4548

It's a long *kitten* read, but basically, no. It probably won't hurt, but the tumor's environment is more than capable of metabolic adaptation that allows it to fuel tumor growth via glutamine conversion if glucose intake proves insufficient.

ETA: upon further reading, the damned things can also use autophagy to essentially rebuild itself even if the person were to be completely starved. Diet ain't gonna help.

Thanks. I'll read this.

Pancreatic cancer is a bear. I have my doubts about low carb/glucose and the warburg effect helping because those with pancreatic cancer tend to waste away. They get too thin. And that doesn't help people... Sigh

I think all we can really hope for is not to beat cancer but to extend life with some quality living. Cancer is a *kitten*.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My MIL has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and a very close family friend, who my kids call Grandma, has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer (inoperable due to an enlarged heart). Both of these lovely women do not have a good prognosis nor do they have many treatment options. I am looking into diets and alternative treatments (like helpful supplements) that might help them in their fights with cancer, and I would appreciate reading any thoughts or knowledge you all have whether it is LCHF or not.

To further complicate things, my MIL is a vegetarian. Or rather, her significant other is vegetarian, and he does most of the cooking, so she is a vegetarian 95% of the time as a result. She has also had some gall bladder issues this past year... but now I wonder if it was actually related to pancreatic cancer.

For her, I wonder if Gerson therapy might be helpful. I don't know if pancreatic cancer is metabolically dependent on sugar or not. I don't know if lower carb and Warburg's theories would help.

Our friend with lung cancer has a weak heart and also has T2D. I think low carb would help her but I don't know if she would change her diet that much.

Any ideas and thoughts or rabbit holes to dive down would be most welcomed. Both women are open to ideas.

I hope you all don't mind this posting. It isn't exactly a low carb topic but you all are such a supportive and educated bunch that I thought I'd ask. Thanks. :)

I'm so very sorry for the terrible news.
    P&PTs for you all.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo ... am so sorry to hear this :( I am on my phone and it doesn't like to post links but try some google fu with Univeristy of Florida. I work there in research and there is a lot being looked into food wise. Keto I know is one thats studied with tumors and there may be more I am not aware of. I hope you can find something there that will help.

Your family will be in my thoughts.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @baconslave and @Catawampous Thank you so much. :)

This stuff is hard to find info on. It is largely n=1 and statements of "this could help...". Nothing definitive. Nothing even close to a "probably helps". Boo.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Consuming a Ketogenic Diet while Receiving Radiation and Chemotherapy for Locally Advanced Lung Cancer and Pancreatic Cancer: The University of Iowa Experience of Two Phase 1 Clinical Trials.
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28437190

They need to be careful if they choose to eat this way as a ketogenic diet increases radiation sensitivity.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/
    Moreover, a ketogenic diet inhibits tumor growth in xenograft models, and potentially in human patients (Allen et al., 2014). It is tempting to speculate that these interventions, which would both be predicted to elevate histone Kbhb levels, may work in part by altering chromatin structure to induce a more tumor suppressive gene expression pattern.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    More info that just came into my inbox the other day:
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-cancer-cancer-1/
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/hyperinsulinemia-cancer-cancer-2/

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941741/
    Cancer as a metabolic disease: implications for novel therapeutics
    Thomas N. Seyfried,* Roberto E. Flores, Angela M. Poff, 1 and Dominic P. D’Agostino 1
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this. I lost my mum and my auntie to pancreatic cancer. Cherish the time you have left together, it will make for special memories later. Hugs ♡♡
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry for the terrible news.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @canadjineh Thanks for the links. :) I'll read those today.

@River_Godess and @Cadori Thanks. I really feel bad for my husband. He is close to his mom and probably even closer to the family friend. Plus he knows pancreatic cancer too-my dad had it- so he knows it is not good. :(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your MIL and the family friend. Prayers! I don't have much helpful to contribute, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news.
    I apparently haven't been saving things about cancer that I've read. I do have this one link.
    I'm not completely sure what all is discussed on it.
    I hope it leads to helpful info.

http://www.theimproper.com/135662/ketogenic-diet-beats-chemotherapy-many-cancers-says-thomas-seyfried/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Sending you and your family/family friend lots of love and light!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. You all are a great group. :)

Thanks for that link @Sunny_Bunny_ It is a nice easy to read article that could motivate someone to consider trying dietary changes.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sorry to read that.

you might take a look into that book: https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Bicarbonate-Natures-Unique-Remedy/dp/075700394X

"Most of us were amazed to find out that there is an oncologist in Rome, Dr. Tullio Simoncini, destroying cancer tumors with sodium bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate is safe, extremely inexpensive, and effective when it comes to cancer tissues. It is irresistible cyanide to cancer cells. It hits the cancer cells with a shock wave of alkalinity, which allows much more oxygen into the cancer cells than they can tolerate. Cancer cells cannot survive in the presence of high levels of oxygen. Sodium bicarbonate is a killer of tumors, safer and more effective than anything else. That does not mean that every single patient who uses bicarbonate is going to be saved, but they certainly will be helped. "
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I got an email just today with this article from Ruled.me
    I only skimmed the beginning. It says it goes over what recent research has been showing.
    Maybe something here will be hopeful.
    https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-cancer-interpreting-research/?mc_cid=58dc2fd70d&mc_eid=580c03ec6b
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That was a great article thanks for sharing it.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your MIL and for your family in dealing with this.

As an observer only, I was hopeful that cancer could be starved with keto/fasting but it looks like I have to do my research. Thanks for the links, guys.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

As an observer only, I was hopeful that cancer could be starved with keto/fasting but it looks like I have to do my research. Thanks for the links, guys.

Cancer as a whole is such a scourge upon our populace, that it's easy to get swept up by anything that shows even the slightest promise in undoing it's damage. Nearly everyone has been devastated by it in some form, so most of us really want to believe that there's an obvious fix that we just aren't seeing.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I got an email just today with this article from Ruled.me
    I only skimmed the beginning. It says it goes over what recent research has been showing.
    Maybe something here will be hopeful.
    https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-cancer-interpreting-research/?mc_cid=58dc2fd70d&mc_eid=580c03ec6b

Thanks so much. :) Intersting stuff. Keto really does appear to have brain tumor fighting help!
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

Thank you. :)