Sports/Smart watch

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    However, if I get into ultra training, I will be looking at a Garmin myself.

There are no silver bullets, IMO.
    You said if.... last time I said if, I ended up signing up for my first ultra before running my first marathon.... 12 weeks to 100k

And yes, there are no silver bullets. Apple is good for a day to day device with some running. Garmin are activity specific and, IMHO better for that..... it all depends on what you are looking for

Exactly.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent have we made this clear as mud yet? I'm trying to figure out some more things to say that say both work well, and both have their limitations....
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent have we made this clear as mud yet? I'm trying to figure out some more things to say that say both work well, and both have their limitations....

Hmm... Well the Apple Watch Series 2 is PERFECT but I would consider a Forerunner 735XT if I was to get something other than it or something for longer runs or if I hiked a lot or if I had a phone other than an iPhone. Looks like 735 is a good balance between cost and features and battery life.

:lol:

Also, I never over think things as you can tell...
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    I use 2 watches during the day.
    Main daily use- Moto360v2 Android Wear watch(sorry Vince, but just as functional as the Apple Watch AND can be used on both Android and iOS). This tracks my daily steps and provides my second screen while trapped in all day meetings.

Running, Garmin Forerunner235. I wanted something with a stand alone GPS for days when I don't feel like bringing my phone along with me.

Why two watches? Just because the Forerunner doesn't tech/smart features you want?

Pretty much. There weren't many Android Wear watches with the running features I wanted last year, so I went with the Garmin for running.
  • dudasd1973
    Options
    I use 2 watches during the day.
    Main daily use- Moto360v2 Android Wear watch(sorry Vince, but just as functional as the Apple Watch AND can be used on both Android and iOS). This tracks my daily steps and provides my second screen while trapped in all day meetings.

Running, Garmin Forerunner235. I wanted something with a stand alone GPS for days when I don't feel like bringing my phone along with me.

Just wondering... the Apple Watch Series 2 has stand alone GPS, does the Moto360v2? I do not need to bring my phone, Apple Watch 2 can play music, track GPS, and all that with out the phone.

No, the 360 does not. That's why I got the Garmin. The newer AW watches do have built in GPS and LTE. The 360 predates the Apple v1, but it still does what I need it to do. Eventually I'll grab a new one, but for now I'm fine. The benefit is that I can still pair any of my AW devices to both my Android phone AND my iPhone for work.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    The benefit is that I can still pair any of my AW devices to both my Android phone AND my iPhone for work.

Yeah, that is really the big Achilles heel of the Apple Watch S2, but some how I doubt that will ever change. :smiley: If you are already fully in the Apple Camp, and plan to stay there for a few years, the Apple Watch S2 is an excellent option... but other wise, give it a pass.
  • jillylees
    jillylees Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 35 and although it is not the most advanced, it does everthing i need for running and cycling; uploads beautifully and keeps me honest.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I'm another low end Garmin owner. I had the Forerunner 10, and replaced it with the 25 when I started to do marathons. I don't need bells and whistles, just a record of my splits and elevation gain/loss. I enjoy the step-counter as well. For my 3rd marathon, the battery ran out in mile 26, which is why I'll probably upgrade before my next marathon. I think it just got tired.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a TomTom Spark 3 and love it for running. User friendly and simple to use. I had a Forerunner (can't recall what model now) prior to that with a chest strap but it went kaput after the battery change. IMO the Garmin was better only because of the chest strap. The TomTom I have now out does it in every other way. I have heard the new Forerunners are way better and when/if my TomTom dies on me I will go for the Garmin next time around I think. Chest straps are just better at monitoring heart rate for weight training and since I run and weight train it is better for me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have a Gear Fit 2 that I loved until this morning when it *kitten* the bed halfway through my run. It is still under warranty, but Samsung is notoriously bad at honoring it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    BTW - Anyone want a Garmin Forerunner 15 with chest strap? I will give to any active runner that ones one and cover contential US shipping - might need help covering international shipping. :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    BTW - Anyone want a Garmin Forerunner 15 with chest strap? I will give to any active runner that ones one and cover contential US shipping - might need help covering international shipping. :smiley:

Seriously? Whats shipping look like? My Gear Fit 2 crapped out a cew weeks ago and not in the market to blow a lot of cash right now.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I am taking a small poll on which smart watch/sports tracker everyone has. Right now, I have a Vivofit2 and it is really just a steps/sleep/calorie tracker. My husband just got a Samsung GearFit 2. While it is better, it might not be exactly what I want. Anyway, tell me what you have and why you like it best. Please?
    Thank you! Becky

I had a Gear Fit 2 and loved it until the sensor cover came unglued, became water/sweat damaged, and died. Hubby bought it on Amazon, which is not an authorized retailer, and Samsung won't honor the warranty. :/:/
  • PastorVincent
    Options

This was claimed a couple days a go. :)

Sorry @fitoverfortymom :(
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

This was claimed a couple days a go. :)

Sorry @fitoverfortymom :(

That's ok. The right replacement will come my way when it's time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.

I have the Fenix 5 too, and I love it so much!

I ran for 5 hours and didn't even use 30% of the battery.

@seanevan10 Did you decide on a new watch yet?
  • CyberdollUSAF
    CyberdollUSAF Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Samsung Gear 3 Classic to go with my Note 8 after giving my iWatch to my daughter who is a Apple fanatic. Im just learning about all the perks.
  • dudasd1973
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.

How has the Barometer been holding up accuracy wise?
    I've been looking at upgrading to the Fenix3/5 but the reviews I've found on forums for the elevation have been horrendous at best.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

@Orphia I didn't see this until now. Someone from the group posted about a sale for the Vivoactive HR being 100$ off. So I bought that. It has been really good, EXCEPT I am having an issue getting interval training on it. They say it is because it doesn't have enough juice. Bummed but oh well. I am getting around it for now. Otherwise, really like it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited September 2017
    Options

@Orphia I didn't see this until now. Someone from the group posted about a sale for the Vivoactive HR being 100$ off. So I bought that. It has been really good, EXCEPT I am having an issue getting interval training on it. They say it is because it doesn't have enough juice. Bummed but oh well. I am getting around it for now. Otherwise, really like it.

Do you know if the Vivoactive HR has hiking on it? It's the one I'm leaning towards right now if Samsung can't get their act in gear. I finally made some headway w/ customer service after one of their agents lied and said because hubby ordered it on Amazon, they won't honor the warranty. Amazon indeed is an authorized reseller, so they are taking it in for evaluation.

I really loved my Gear Fit 2 and I have a Samsung phone so the compatibility with Samsung Health was unbeatable.