Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Both of the new chiefs boys are in hockey. These are gear drying racks I made at his request. The commercial ones are expensive and most rinkydink. These are solid oak, leftover from the big table build. No metal, all fitted, doweled and glued joints. Why? Just because I can.

jiwewniad1jm.jpeg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Aww. How nice for the hockey boys. :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I got laid off from my hospital job of 15yrs almost 4yrs ago. I didn't work the first year, then I got a part time care giving job for about a year, quit, now I just started again to make more $, but it's only 6hrs a week. I don't really have a hobby. I do love dogs & am a volunteer at our no kill shelter. I also have 6 dogs so I'm busy with them. This was last summer so I was a bit heavier than now
  • RodaRose
    Options
    You look great. Everybody looks happy. :mrgreen:
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    Options
    Lot of Christmas preperation at the homestead this weekend, but I did manage to get a little work done on the foundry project.

Removed castings from sprue, cleaned up flashing and seperated doubled hooks into singles. Still need to drill holes for mounting bolts.

j9y4ihhgo6nt.jpg
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    @Farback, good to see you back in the shop.

I see a couple of sq ft of exposed workbench top. Looks like you have room for a couple of more projects. :D
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I am in awe of each of you who do things beautifully in retirement. I have skills, but they are not useful or transferrable outside the semiconductor design industry.

I plan to die on the job. In this industry, there is no forced retirement age. There are a lot of people who die on the job, too.

I heard that the lead layout guy for the Pentium chip collapsed and died in the midst of tape out.

I have a new plan. Actually, a new plan was given me last week in the form of a 2-week notice of contract non-renewal.

I will make my living by trading stock option calendar spreads in my IRA, and withdraw proceeds each week. I'll have one day per week of work, but it's closer to half a day, and all the rest of the time free to engage in actually living. I'm not sure I know how to do that. I've only ever been really good at working.

Retiring "from" something is not a good plan. One needs to retire"to something".
    It doesn't sound like you are ready. I bet you can find something if you want to. You've had a shock and it can take a while to get refocused. Hang in there.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Retiring "from" something is not a good plan. One needs to retire"to something".
    It doesn't sound like you are ready. I bet you can find something if you want to. You've had a shock and it can take a while to get refocused. Hang in there.

That's a neat way to look at retirement. I'm sliding toward a pension and most of my post-retirement goals are wishes rather than plans. Life kicked me in the nuts fairly hard and several times so I'm not rushing to run away from a good paycheque...
  • RodaRose
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I am in awe of each of you who do things beautifully in retirement. I have skills, but they are not useful or transferrable outside the semiconductor design industry.

I plan to die on the job. In this industry, there is no forced retirement age. There are a lot of people who die on the job, too.

I heard that the lead layout guy for the Pentium chip collapsed and died in the midst of tape out.

I have a new plan. Actually, a new plan was given me last week in the form of a 2-week notice of contract non-renewal.

I will make my living by trading stock option calendar spreads in my IRA, and withdraw proceeds each week. I'll have one day per week of work, but it's closer to half a day, and all the rest of the time free to engage in actually living. I'm not sure I know how to do that. I've only ever been really good at working.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Great work with the cross. I'm glad that you included the inches so that
    we have an even better picture of what it is.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wow d-thomas02, looks great!!
  • d_thomas02
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    A long overdue shop cleanup.

I'd snap a pic of my shop/basement/garage, but I'm afraid it'd break the camera. Maybe I'll get time after my second retirement to tidy it up. :D
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,882 Member
    Options
    Im not retired but I do have time off over the holidays and the weather is miserable and my horse threw a shoe so I have started working on my closet. After 26+ years and a lot of yo yo dieting, it is really sort of liberating to make piles for goodwill and piles for trash and sort thru everything. I mean honestly that dress which looks like your grandmother's curtains?!!!!! LOL. After the closets, then the dressers and who knows from there! Secretly I would like to clean out my "junk" room and make it into a home gym with a rowing machine.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Those kind of projects haunt us all... I've still got unopened boxes from my move three years ago. It's clear I don't "need" the contents... At some point, I'll have to decide if I "want" them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Im not retired but I do have time off over the holidays and the weather is miserable and my horse threw a shoe so I have started working on my closet. After 26+ years and a lot of yo yo dieting, it is really sort of liberating to make piles for goodwill and piles for trash and sort thru everything. I mean honestly that dress which looks like your grandmother's curtains?!!!!! LOL. After the closets, then the dressers and who knows from there! Secretly I would like to clean out my "junk" room and make it into a home gym with a rowing machine.

In my youth, I literally made a long vest out of my grandmother's curtains, a nice cotton lace embroidered with flowers and vines in faded colors. I also made bell bottoms and a full-circle tunic out of her pink satin ones.

It was fun being a crafty hippie!

Oops, off topic: Not a retirement project, an adolescent project. I still do plenty of misbegotten crafts projects, though, and they're still fun. ;)

Maybe I'll post some of the whacky ones someday. . . .
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    rq2mmsp9bjps.jpeg

Cedar for my daughter. She puts simple patterns on them for the toddlers to build math skils.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Been a slow week what with the holidays and family, but I did get a little done.

Foundry

Drilled cast hooks and mounted. Also beefed up patches on broken latches [crosses finger]. (I did layout a pattern for a cast latch but that is going to take a bit more brain sweat before its ready to cast. No hurry there.) This bagger is ready for another season.

th4rdtjxgoi7.jpg
    mnv3g19xzom0.jpg

Forge

The lady of the homestead loved her split cross and posted images to one of her social groups. Now I have orders for literally hundreds more. [sigh] Guess I better get that forge finished. ;)