2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    I got on the scale this morning, fully expecting to see a bit of a loss, and nothing. I’m doing that thing where you have a conversation with yourself in your head. I’m telling myself that it will happen, I just have to stick with it and be patient. I’m also asking myself whether I’ve really been giving this my best effort. The answer is no, I’m not but I’m not perfect and I am doing better. So I’m sticking with it and trying to cut out the little things that are adding up (calorie wise). I spent some time at my parent’s house this week and (OMG!) they kept offering me candy, cookies, sandwiches!!! These are the same people who hounded me about my weight my entire life and now that I’m trying to eat healthier they do this! Hahaha! I know they’re not be malicious, it just seems so ironic. So.... I plan to concentrate on the amount of carbs I’m eating and what type of carbs, I’m going to move more (even though it’s freezing outside), and I am going to have a supportive internal dialogue.

Have a good weekend Hatters!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,456 Member
    edited January 2018
    I feel for ya Suzy... while we know in our heads weight loss isn't linear and doesn't happen when WE want it to - that's logic, not emotion and we all understand zackly how you felt not seeing a loss believe me! I love your plan for the internal supportive dialogue, and here's a little external one too: it really is about progress, not perfection.. and you KNOW you are doing better every day... and i'm glad you said it!! and that's awesome! you AM doing better, and you AM going to see the scale reflect that - but its just one tool remember, it can be picked up AND put down as needed, or not needed! You've already started to make better choices and THAT'S the important part... (I'm not discounting the weight loss, it's what we all want and WILL get for ourselves) but that will happen as we move forward - and as long as we're progressing, we're succeeding,, and you ARE!

I dunno if it's helping me at all, or might help you... but I am finding myself frequently reminding myself in times of ... considering crap... what do I want MORE ??? It hasn't always altered my decision, but it does seem to help me remember what I want for myself more often than not...

Mind you, people at work look at me funny cause i'm talking to myself a lot LOLOL

P.S. I HAVE NO idea what I did to make that link show up above all by itself LOL.. i've sent a request to have it deleted; sowwy about that!

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    OMG I just posted this loooong post and then hit “done” instead of “ post” and poof! It’s gone! ARGH!
  • suzyqholland
    Still no loss but I did manage to gain a pound and a half. :s
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    I AM ....finding it harder to get back in the groove....mostly because I am getting tired of what I have been eating. I need to mix it up and eat differently. I am mostly a veggie lover, but with diabetical issues, I have to limit myself and that means I eat more meat.

Does any one else get tired of eating meat? Now that doesn't count bacon, cause I can eat it daily ! lol

We have a weight loss challenge starting in the Boot camp at work. I can't decide if I am joining it or not. It will cost 150 dollars for 10 weeks. 1st, 2nd 3rd place winners. I'm a bit tight with extra money, but I think it would be worth cutting back some more $$ wise ,to have an opportunity to win. Even if I don't win, It would be great motivation to get back in the groove and lose weight , fat , inches.

Suzy, I sympathize with you, I am picking it up by the bucket loads...but we WILL get it back off!
    Snoozie, awesome way to challenge yourself on choosing what you want more. That may be part of my problem, I never stop long enough to ask what do I want more. Great idea!!

Computer is acting like it wants to close, so signing off before I lose my post like Susan.

Bye for now.
    We got a bit of snow yesterday, so I am home with G Baby , have to bathe and see if the daycare is opening up today. then head to work.
    Bye!!

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Funny you should mention meat: my son had just said that he fancies eating vegan for some of the time. I've been vegan before so happy to. He's not going full on, but just trying to eat less animal products (so not actually vegan at all, but some of the meals will be). It should save a bit of money on the food shopping, as meat is probably the big expense. Actually wine is, but we won't go there.

The meals with meat in them, I'm using less meat. I remember when I did food and nutrition at school back in the 70s, being told that a portion of meat was 2 ounces for an adult, which seemed a bit paltry even then! But I'm trying to think that way and have meat as a small, tasty part of the meal.

It does mean that meals are even more carb-centric, though.
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Good morning ladies,
    As I sit here with the fourth day of New Orleans shut down due to the icy roads, broken pipes and now only dripping water from the faucets it brings me back to my younger years when I watch my mom and grandmother make a lot from little and we really did okay.

Go for it Gail the boot camps sounds great. I really do not get tired of eating meat, but due to my cholesterol, I have to limit it along with cheese and milk.

Suzy, you are doing great just by verbalizing it all to yourself and to all of us. And it is always good to make new goals to strive for.

I AM going to limit my carbs also and my red meat, cheese, and milk. I find that fat free milk taste just as good in my coffee as did the whole milk.
  • Snooozie
    edited January 2018
    Vail/Milove - I've been trying to do "meatless Mondays" at least twice a week, but I haven't found many good recipes - everything meatless seems to have pasta which i'm trying to avoid due to the carb load for my blood sugars... so i'd appreciate any ideas and or recipes you might have to share.. I've made a crustless quiche filled with veggies and a beef stew with only a scant few pieces of beef cubes (like 4) to flavour it - but most of the recipe sites I search have weird crap in it I won't eat like tofu lol... so would appreciate any tips.

I agree about the size of the meat portion Vail; I remember being told a "portion" should fit in just the palm of your hand.. I tend to go more for the whole hand size lol.. but I have found that cutting boneless chicken breasts in half horizontally makes a much better serving size; as i get 2 meals out of 1 pus they cook more quickly.

Milove - it's so true; I think back to stories my grandmother would tell us about during the depression and the wars and how they made do... makes you realize just how used we are to having everything and anything available pretty much 24/7 and how we can forget just how easy we have it these days. I'm sorry you're having to deal with the ice and water issues and hope they get resolved soon!

The scale is still "crawling' slowly in the right direction; but I'm sticking with my decision to only officially "check in" my weight loss number at the end of each month. (Notice i said loss? yup that's based on positive thinking not actual results yet LOL)

And remember, everything we're doing to move forward in getting what we want for oursevles?? Each step takes us towards something we WANT - so it's totally ok to be selfish and get what we want... and each step we take towards that..is a good thing and something to be thrilled about!!

Kinda like if you're saving to buy something you really want .... ? you get excited every time you can stuff another few bucks into the stash and know you're getting closer to getting what you want?

Same thing goes with every little thing we do to get us what we want with our weight loss.. it's exciting!

So whether you're trying to cut down on animal meats or dairy, or trying to cut down on sweets, or eating more veg - or moving more; whatever it is you're doing to work towards getting what you want?? IT ALL COUNTS! every single extra step you walk, extra stair you take, every apple you choose over a cookie, or even eating ONE cookie instead of 12 (yep i've done that in my past lol)... just remember every little thing you do counts!! Don't worry about being perfect... just keep doing the things that you can and pat yourself on the back each time you make a positive choice!!

• suzyqholland
    We went to the RV show today to look at some trailers. Just getting an idea of what we might want in a few years time when hubby retires and we start traveling. This sign pretty much sums up how I’ve been feeling of late:
    iod1e8cn4du0.jpeg

:D

I’m hanging in there and trying to do a little bit better each day at making changes that will get me where I want to be. The weather is supposed to be nice enough for a hike tomorrow! Yay!!
  • suzyqholland
    The weather cooperated for a nice hike today. Unfortunately, I was unable to wear my usual hiking pants (the same ones that I wore in October on the AT) because they were way too tight. Not a great way to start my day. The hiking was more difficult than it was just a couple months ago. It’s amazing to me how quickly my fitness level can drop with lack of exercise! I did it though...I hiked about six miles and half of that was a steady uphill climb. My motivation is renewed and I’m determined to get back into those hiking pants by the end of February.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Back when I was semi-vegan/vegetarian in the 80s I used to use the Cranks recipe book a lot (the original one) and also Entertaining with Cranks. I've dug out my old copy and it's falling apart - had to order a new (secondhand) one! That had great recipes - although some of them were a bit of a faff.

I've been making a lot of Japanese style food recently, and have been eating a lot of rice, so I don't suppose that would be much good for blood sugar either. I've also been using eggs more, including Japanese omelette http://www.japanesecooking101.com/tamagoyaki-recipe/ . I love this - it does have mirin in it, which is sugary, but I'm sure would taste good without.

Mushrooms are my go to for a meatier texture. (I have finally stopped my FODMAP diet as I wasn't getting any benefits - have to admit I'm kind of relieved because I didn't want to be on it for life!). I have also been eating gyoza as a main course, and they are addictive! I have been making them with meat, but I will have to have a go at making vegetarian ones. They do take a while to make, but quite simple, then you can freeze them and cook from frozen. Even made with meat, you seem to end up not eating as much meat in a portion.

On the exercise front, I still seem to be recovering from whatever I had last year (flu?) that knocked me out. Working back up to it, but have had a really lazy weekend this weekend. I need to get going!
  • Snooozie
    Vail - I admit I had to google what a "gyoza" was.. I gather its similar to what we call pot stickers here lol... I actually do love veggie ones but there is way too much veggie chopping in those for me.. and they have to be so tiny... I'm glad you're off the FOSMAP if it wasn't working for you; but proud of you for trying something new to see if it would help! I have a bit of rice now and then but the carb load is definitely too high for most of us with blood sugar issues.. i'm doing okay with upping my veg and fruit and the scale is crawling ounce by ounce the right way, but so slowly its barely noticeable..and I have yet to start even my walking again... there's no excuse for me on that ... I start midnights tonite for a week so i'm determined I will at least go down to the gym and use the treadmill .. might as well since i'm not fit to go our that week or mix with humans lol. I did a lot of prep cooking this weekend; made an almost vegetarian chili, a chicken cacciatore type thing with spinach and a beef stroganoff style dish with veggies.. all of which are tucked away in the freezer... I know that on this shift tho I tend to veer more towards toast and pb and cereal so its going to be a challenge but keeping my eyes focused on what I want for myself; just need to close my mouth more often!!

Suzy kudos to you on doing the hike.. I can totally understand your sadness at the pants... every so often I try on a pair I kept that fit me when I hit my goal weight... one day they WILL go up past my hips! AND yes... it's scary how quickly we lose any progress and/or stamina ...on the plus side it won't take long til you're back at the same level you were !!
  • suzyqholland
    Yum! I love pot stickers! Who am I kidding; I pretty much love all food. :D

I managed to keep my momentum today and had a great day. Maybe I should hang those hiking pants in my kitchen so that I know what I’m shooting for in the short term. Possibly a bathing suit for a longer term goal? Try explaining that to company! Lol!

I do enjoy a good grilled portobello in lieu of meat sometimes. I did try Atkins years ago and got tired of eating meat. I’m more of a chicken/fish/turkey person. I’ve been substituting ground chicken for ground beef lately. I’m not big on pasta or rice and will usually substitute cauliflower rice and zucchini noodles. My biggest downfall is sweets and bread. I need to grow up and start by getting my blood levels checked. I bet I’m in the same boat with y’all and need to watch my A1C and cholesterol but I just ignore it all....burying my head in the sand. Not smart...I know.

Gail, did you decide to join the weight loss challenge at boot camp?

Snoozie, way to go on the cooking and freezing!! Good luck with the treadmill! I know it’s not the same as your lake walks but still good for you!

Milove, I didn’t realize that you lived in New Orleans. We’re planning a short vacay there with my brother and his wife in May.

I hope y’all had a good start to your week!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    What is it about pot stickers??? I could eat them every day, any kind....and yes, I'm right with you Suzy. I love almost every kind of food....lol I can be so full and just let someone bring something in that looks good.....I'm all over it. lol
    Portobello burgers are great, too.

No, I opted out of the boot camp challenge , mainly for lack of funds, and I wasn't sure I wanted to throw away $150 that way.... I haven't been able to rein myself in enough to think I could have a chance to win. If I had the money though, I think it would have worth it to try ...at least I could have used it as incentive to start losing again...and that would have been worth losing$$. Shoot, I have spent more and lost less over the years. hahaha.
    Take for example, all the exercise videos, the exercise equipment holding all the stray clothing....my husband says we don't need closets, we've got plenty to hang the clothes on!
    But, I'm going to do it as a silent partner. no money, just try my best to lose and see where I would have been in 10 weeks.

Oh, and Suzy, I am down to 3 pairs of Jeans that fit well enough to work in....so I know your distress too well. But you will get back down. Could It be a bit of fluid?

"a chicken cacciatore type thing with spinach and a beef stroganoff style dish with veggies" these sounds yummy, Snoozie. I feel for you on those midnight shifts. Do they feel worse in the winter? Seems like they might...cold weather makes me feel sleepier....

Vail , I am glad you're recovering from the crud.

The flu over here is getting rough. My mom was just admitted tonight for some upper respiratory type issue, she can' t keep anything down. She's in another state 3 or 4 hours away....so I can't just pop in to check on her for a couple of hours and then get home for work.... it makes worrying more unsettling. My sister is there with her. So that makes me feel better.

Well time to get ready to bed .
    I hope you are all doing great!
    G

• suzyqholland
    Gail, I’m sorry to hear about your mom. It’s a scary flu season this year. I’m so paranoid about going out around people. I’ve been going to so many doctor appointments with my mom and I’m so scared that she might catch it. Her lungs are already compromised with COPD.

I made a delicious recipe from the skinnytaste website tonight. It was Asian glazed drumsticks and was super easy. It makes a sauce that you can serve over some veggies. I made cauliflower “fried rice” with it. Just thought I’d pass that on.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/asian-glazed-drumsticks/
  • Snooozie
    Suzy I made that same dish last year - and thought I should double the sauce next time as I didn't have enough for the veggies.. I loved it and totally forgot about it til I saw your post! I will pop in at work tonite and write a longer one :)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Thanks, Suzy, she may be better, they are keeping her another night. They said she was severely dehydrated. I guess it was that horrible virus hitting people, but I was worried it might be the flu. and I know what you mean about paranoia . I had a dentist appointment at the med/dental clinic and it was so full, I almost left and canceled my apptmnt. when I realized it was flu season. But I found a corner where no one was sitting off to its self. and tried not to breathe too deeply....like that would help....: )
  • Snooozie
    Gail - I'm so sorry to hear your mom is in hospital; I hope by the time you read this she has been released and is improving.... it is scary and my hands are like alligators cause i'm washing my hands so much or using purell which I keep in my pocket! And people come in to work hacking and spewing ... grrr!! Please keep us updated on how she's doing..

Suzy... I understand the ostrich theory with the blood tests.. I went far too long without getting them done for the exact same reason. Looking back I wish I had gone sooner; because that T2diabetes diagnosis scared the crap outta me and i would like to think had i known earlier i would have taken the steps to stop any further damage to my organs from it... so i'll just say while i understand... yes... pls go get em done! :)

I'm staying on track portion wise and better choices but this shift does me in carb wise.. i want toast and pb not tuna and leafy greens at 3am... plus yes the cold temps make nites worse in my opinion.. and because i'm extra tired i feel the cold more .. but.. c'est la vie ! I've been using my stash of frozen soups and stews to at least get in some veg and i can handle that - but i'm also short on water this week.. on the plus side I've started substituting more tea than coffee during the nite.. i know it has just as much caffeine as coffee but i figure it counts more as water lol.

My 2 signs on the cupboard are helping when i go to graze.. and i tried on some pants i bought when i was at my goal weight as added incentive.. i may do as suzy considered and hang em from my closet door for a visual LOL... i have one week left this month til my official weigh in .. and i think it's helping knowing it's only once a month .. stops the "daily" weigh in madness (i still weigh every day but don't panic over the fluctuation) Anyway best get back to bed and see if i can catch a few more zzzzzzzz's..
  • suzyqholland
    I thought of you today, Snoozie when I was walking. This is the “lake” that I sometimes loop in our neighborhood. It’s nothing compared to yours but we had beautiful (if a little chilly) weather today. I’m sure you’re looking forward to getting back out there to your lake.

kdugtlc0jevn.jpeg
  • Snooozie
    ohhhhhhh suzy I am TOTALLY jealous right now... it's BEYOOOOTIFUL! I just love being around water when I walk... any kind will do... but yours is lovely!! AND you have a little bench too!!! Totally made me long for my own lake walks... I just can't handle the cold and the wind this winter down there so i'm longing for it.. and seeing yours... wahhhhhh lol!! did you notice that shaft of sunlight coming in from the right side on your pic?? I could sit on that bench and just gaze... i'm so glad you have such a lovely place to walk - and I hear ya on the cool part but you have the added bonus of a forest too... we have a tree lined path but nothing like that... I hope you found your walkies peaceful and recharging !!!