March Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Feeling good today. Started some strength training and got on the eliptical for 10 minutes. I will be feeling it tomorrow. Time to make something to eat!!!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    @eggfooyamyam don't worry about the strips they measure the excess ketones being excreted through your urine, not ketones you make and that your body runs on. They are not that reliable anyhow as a marker of being fat adapted, too many variables. If you want more information check out Amy Berger's blog, tuit nutrition, I really love her blogs and her down to earth but highly informative style. I'd go by the fact your aren't feeling that hungry!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I'm stressed today. Mostly work stress. I ate fine and made my steps goal, but still feeling generally blah... Hope you're all feeling more enthused than I am lately :pensive:

Hey hope you are feeling better soon, we all have off times and at least you've stuck to your goals! >:)
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have been using the ketone strips and they aren't even registering any color. I'm firmly not hung up on the strips but I'm curious if anyone else is using them are they are working for you, and what time of day you use them?

It took me about 3 weeks keto before the ketone strips showed any indication of ketosis. I diligently tracked my macros, of 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat, and still do 10 weeks in. In addition I've been calorie restricting that whole time.

It was fun to watch my strips show a positive trend, However, about 6 weeks in they went the wrong way. Evidently when you are in full-on ketosis (Fat adapted or keto adapted) you start burning ketones as an energy source and urine strips don't register accurately anyway,

Like you though, I've experienced and enjoyed other benefits of keto. I <3 eating fat while losing weight. It seems like a counterintuitive miracle to me.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started getting consistent reads on the strips 2 weeks into the diet, but only medium-purple, not the darkest one. The darkest one I had was on a day I had not been able to drink a lot of water.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    @eggfooyamyam you don't honestly even need the strips. I have never once used them. I can tell when my body is in ketosis, my taste is different in my mouth. It's weird lol. But as long as you are sticking to keto foods and staying under your 20g of jet carbs i would not worry too much. Keep it simple. It really is my biggest piece of advice. Sometimes you may find something you love and can eat a ton of one week lol, that's ok. I did a lot of buffalo wings and taco salads, because I loved them lol and I could. I also really love intermittent fasting. #1 i work at 4am so it was very easy to not eat until after work around noonish. #2 when I do eat, I can eat a lot haha.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am No expert by any means but i sure don't mind helping if I can. I get excited to see people who get into this way of eating. It is a life changer. I am not a 100% ketoers. I do my cheat days here and there, and sometimes cheat weekends. But once my week starts back up so does my keto! I do not cheat every weekend or every week by any means but i still enjoy my occasions. It's never very hard to get right back into it. A day or two of eating crappy and I start feeling that dread of not taking care of yourself. That's is enough to kick me right back into gear.
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    @natedecker13 I do my planks both ways. I broke both my wrists 7 years ago so they bother me sometimes when I am up on my palms. So sometimes alternate.
    My pull ups and chin ups.. not coming along so well lol. Those things are hard!!! But I am still working at it. I was showing of my triceps to my husband today. I was like babe, babe, look, you can actually SEE the muscle. So i may not be lifting this body up on that pull up bar quite the way I had hoped lol but it's definitely helping my muscle definition.
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses about the ketone strips - that helped with the little bit of doubt I had surrounding those as the measure of achievement.
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    Definetly do not use them as a reference on how you are doing. Even the scale can be a pain. I kind of thought of it as any other way of eating. It takes time to see changes. You will lose inches sometimes and not numbers on the scale. The one thing I have noticed with Keto that I never had with any other diet is fat loss. You literally will see the fat start falling off. Your clothes will fit differently. You will look down and see less and less of a belly... and unfortunately a booty lmao. Keto straight up kicks fats butt haha. Its really pretty amazing if you stick with it! Good luck :smiley:
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    I would give anything to have Keto sections of the grocery store. And keto restaurants, how awesome would that be!!!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    @eggfooyamyam you don't honestly even need the strips. I have never once used them. I can tell when my body is in ketosis, my taste is different in my mouth. .

Yes!!! It's a weird taste. I don't think (hope) I have keto breath as in bad breath. Can you describe what your taste is like? Mine kind of tastes a little sweet, but also like there's a slight coating on it. The way I feel after using mouthwash then drinking a lot of water! Just wondering what other people are tasting. It's not the "rancid fruit" flavor I have seen on Google!
  • stormywxs288
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @NikkiRJM; 1 PullUp, @HaideeJo13 & @Stormywxs288: 8 pull ups & 2-1/2 minute plank, @Freischuetz: 5 perfect Dragon Flags, @Natedecker: Plank

How’s your “Get-R-Done” exercise challenge going? I’ve progressed to ONE whole pull up and I get started on a second one but run out of spit pretty early into it. I’ve only done a 1-minute plank but I think I could do more (Just haven’t mustered up the courage to try it yet). The pull ups are going to be a purely brute strength physical challenge for me. On the other hand, I think the 2-1/2 minute plank will be more mental than physical for me. I’ll keep chipping away on both of them and let you know when I make progress.

I changed my profile pic to motivate me to Get-R-Done with the pull ups. Thanks for the challenge. Hope all is going well for you. I <3 a good challenge.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    my get-R-done is looking good so far. i can do 9 dragon flags with knee bended. end of next week, i try with one straight leg and one bended...
  • stormywxs288
    Options
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    You literally will see the fat start falling off.

"Ditto" I wish I would have taken before and afters but it doesn't matter. I know what I'm seeing. I still have fat pockets I need to get rid of but I can actually see them shrinking from week to week. I <3 watching fat melt away. It is a real motivator for me.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hey yous!

This is my second attempt at posting here. Just got power restored, but internet is still down. This week has really been a hassle for me, I've been too busy to bother with weighing food and even myself. Still keto-strong. I'll be back soon to update the spreadsheet and hopefully with a mental reset.

Pull ups = 0
    Lol
    But I got a pull up bar...
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Trying to be realistic, but hoping to lose 2lbs per week. At my height, just a few lbs of fat makes a big difference!
    Starting: 153 (Jan 2018 - did not get serious about Keto until mid-February)
    Goal: 115-120 depending on muscle gained (5'1" tall)
    3/04: 142
    3/11:
    3/18:
    3/25:
    3/31:
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @NikkiJRM welcome to the world of power also if you have a pull up bar surely just looking at it counts!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @KristinLeeD welcome to March!
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    @KristinLeeD welcome to March!

Thank you!!!
  • HaideeJo13
    Options
    I don't know what happened today lol, but I want to eat EVERYTHING!!!!! So i am eating everything I can... That is keto lol. My daughter drug me to the gym tonight. Normally I am fine with going, but a Friday after getting up at 3 am all week for work, I was SO not feeling it. She is almost 14... so if she says let's go to the gym, I will never ever say no. So went. Just her and I. She loves to do the rower and treadmill. I hate cardio... Hate it! So I worked on the planks and pull ups haha. I have a normal pull up bar at home. I watched people do the pull up thingy bobber at the gym... I avoided it. I have never done the assisted pull up tthingy at the gym. So i didn't know how to use it. Finally I was like screw it, I will read the directions hahaha. Seriously guys.... the thing was amazing! I am SORE already, hopefully this thing helps me work up to more pull ups. Meanwhile... I need cheese :wink: