March Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sunday is the worst day to weigh myself! All my weekend drinks and slight cheats catch up with me on Sunday lol! I can't do it, gotta wait til I fast this off
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good MORNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!! A thing happened this weekend. Mr Nikki's company sent him for blood work. He needs to stay on top of his health to keep a discount on our health care premiums. His labs came back with a few markers at high risk. This means that they will put him on a diet plan. I'm sure it will be some form of SAD low fat diet blah blah. Unfortunately they didn't upload A1C which is the one I really wanted to see.

I'm thinking of encouraging him to try Stillman. He loves his fruits and so he won't do Keto with me, but I think the fruits allowed on Stillman may work for him.

I decided to keep my eating LC & LF for the remainder of march. I've spent a lot of time introducing this and that to my diet (dairy for example) and it just doesn't work for me. As restrictive as it may seem, I do much better when my diet is restrictive and there is a definitive list of yes food/no food, the shorter the yes list, the better.

So here I go with this super boring menu for the next two weeks. I'll be sure to let you know how much it sucks by the end of March.
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol in hopes for better results (and health) but I still feel like I'm being very diligent and seeing very little results on the scale and in measurements. I see that some of you are having amazing weight loss results. I feel like if I'm not losing big now, in the beginning, then when? Any advice or words of wisdom? I'd appreciate it!
  • wwwcandicecom
    wwwcandicecom Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    March 1st: 193.6
    Sunday 03/04: 191.3
    Sunday 03/11: 193.0
    Sunday 03/18
    Sunday 03/25
    Saturday 03/31
  • NikkiJRM
    Options
    @eggfooyamyam Weight loss slows down for everyone at some point. If you're truly being diligent about your meals & any exercise then go back and set new food goals. The 195lb me can not eat the same amount of calories the 260lb me did and expect the same rate of weight loss. Even when I run 30 minutes I burn less calories than when I used to walk for 30 minutes 7 months ago, and I expect I will likely burn even less the further down I go.

There are many factors to why the scale moves or doesn't. Alcohol is one. While your liver is working on removing alcohol from your blood, it doesn't break down fats into ketones. Stress=cortisol=excess water in the body. Hidden health issues etc.

Here are a few others.

fmtsdjzqjd4n.jpg
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol in hopes for better results I see that some of you are having amazing weight loss results. I feel like if I'm not losing big now, in the beginning, then when?

My wife and I eat almost exactly the same diet, as she eats what I make. In ten weeks I've lost 32 lbs and she has lost 5 lbs. The only thing she has done that I don't is acohol. She refuses to give up her beer on our bowling nights. In my opion, I think she knocks herself out of ketosis every Thursday night at the bowling alley.

We're all experiments of one and I'm certainly not an expert. For me I'm not to the point where I can intuatively eat keto. I have to be very intentional. I use MFP and other sources to calculate and track macros, calories, BMI, and weight. MFP is truely My Fitness Pal.

• NikkiJRM
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol in hopes for better results I see that some of you are having amazing weight loss results. I feel like if I'm not losing big now, in the beginning, then when?

My wife and I eat almost exactly the same diet, as she eats what I make. In ten weeks I've lost 32 lbs and she has lost 5 lbs. The only thing she has done that I don't is acohol. She refuses to give up her beer on our bowling nights. In my opion, I think she knocks herself out of ketosis every Thursday night at the bowling alley.

We're all experiments of one and I'm certainly not an expert. For me I'm not to the point where I can intuatively eat keto. I have to be very intentional. I use MFP and other sources to calculate and track macros, calories, BMI, and weight. MFP is truely My Fitness Pal.

Your wife most likely has a lower basal metabolic rate. Even eating the same food & amounts her deficit is probably lower than yours so she'd lose less weight than you have. So unfair! :/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Diligence is never estimating that this is a tablespoon of peanut butter (or butter, or coconut oil, or mayo, or shredded cheese, or, or, or if not losing weight.

Guess-timating may not apply to everyone but extended guess-timating is hazardous to my maintenance since I choose to eat a variety of things and many of those things include fat @ 9 calories per gram. This 100 calorie serving is more like 300. Perhaps I'm posting as a reminder to self. :#

8ssn1oz16u2h.jpg
  • JoannaVenuto
    JoannaVenuto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yay to March!

I turned 30 last week (woohoo!) and my boyfriend took me to Vegas for 4 days. I really enjoyed it and decided to step out of keto for those days while sticking to OMAD to somewhat limit the damage, lol. I came back Friday and I was SO bloated! I could tell that there was a lot of water weight weighing me down and the flight back home felt uncomfortable and blah. Incredible how bad an effect carbs have on me. I had quite a few drinks as well, so I know I had more than 1500cals a day. All in all I had an amazing time in Vegas, I started a new decade and there's no time for having regrets! As a new immigrant in the US I had really missed travelling as I used to travel every 3 month or so. I did not step on the scale since I got back because I know I gained weight most of it being water and I don't want to worry about that.

I am back on OMAD and keto and will weigh in this week!

KCKO!
  • JoannaVenuto
    JoannaVenuto Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol in hopes for better results (and health) but I still feel like I'm being very diligent and seeing very little results on the scale and in measurements. I see that some of you are having amazing weight loss results. I feel like if I'm not losing big now, in the beginning, then when? Any advice or words of wisdom? I'd appreciate it!

I am in the same boat! I started back in January and have barely lost a full 10 pounds. I have a keto friendly drink a few times a week and I really think that this is holding me back. To make things worse my boyfriend is an amazing bartender and makes the most delicious cocktails (jalapeno margarita or keto chocolate martini, anyone? :'( )
    I love my bourbon but I think I am going to give it up for a month and see how my body reacts to that. Being on keto really motivates me to experiment with my body and see how it reacts to different things.
    I need a no-alcohol-for-a-month keto buddy to keep me accountable :) !
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I went swim suit shopping!!! So here is my dilemma lmao. Do you all just let your butt cheeks hang out or what lol. I can fit in small and medium up top. But for me to feel comfortable in bottoms I get large still. I need to have the cheeks tucked away haha. I did get some super cute stuff. It's so much more fun shopping now!!
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My 14 yr old daughter decided she wanted to try Keto. She has lost 5 lbs so far in a week and a half. She was so dang excited when she saw that. I was so excited that she got to see that it really pays off. She definetly wants to stick with it. Mind you she is 5'8" and she is 148 right now. So she is definitely not a very heavy girl she just wants to lose about 10 more pounds so she goes into high school feeling amazeballs
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I am in the same boat! I started back in January and have barely lost a full 10 pounds. I have a keto friendly drink a few times a week and I really think that this is holding me back. To make things worse my boyfriend is an amazing bartender and makes the most delicious cocktails (jalapeno margarita or keto chocolate martini, anyone? :'( )
    I love my bourbon but I think I am going to give it up for a month and see how my body reacts to that. Being on keto really motivates me to experiment with my body and see how it reacts to different things.
    I need a no-alcohol-for-a-month keto buddy to keep me accountable :) !

@eggfooyamyam
    I can only speak for myself, but I have done every diet imaginable, along with different versions of Keto. Some diets didn't work because it was my fault as it was a diet that was too hard for me to stick to. But, in some cases, it just didn't work for my body, age, etc. Thank God, I feel like I CAN stick to what I am doing now .... even when it is HARD, I am not miserable! If I'm miserable, I know won't stick with it.

For me, I have to track every.single.thing I put in my mouth. I have four kids, so it is insane how many calories and carbs I was consuming without thinking about it while making them meals and snacks, etc. It's no wonder I put on 40lbs without a thought. I hate seeing it add up on MFP, but it keeps me in check!

For me, I know I would lose weight faster if I cut out dairy. That is how I have always been. But, I know I would be unhappy if I do, so I keep dairy in and on days that I don't care about cheese that much (which is rare) I go without. I did cut out eating yogurt. But I do keep my dairy within my macros.

I also know that I would lose weight faster if I cut out alcohol. But, I choose not to cut it out. I have limited myself greatly though. I live on the central coast of California and great wine is everywhere, but now after a while I feel like I now could take it or leave it (on most days!). When I drink, I make the lowest carb choice that would still make me happy and I do everything I can to still stay in my daily macros.

I've tried to quit being reactionary in my eating. Before, I would think about how I wanted something and I would immediately run to it. Now, I give it time, have water, have broth, and then see how I feel!

One of the biggest difference for me also in this has been to not only track my macros of fat, protein and carbs, but also track electrolytes (sodium, magnesium, potassium) I don't know if its the same for everyone, but my body seems to be sensitive to these and I do better when I am getting what I need to. I usually have a daily headache when I diet. This time I have had ONE headache and it was traceable to my electrolytes being down! Zero keto flu that everyone talks about and I am a carb addict!

The BEST version of keto for ME is NOT the super high fat version. I follow the plan where I still have fat, but I TRY to stick to healthy fats (although creamy salad dressings & cheese are hard for me to give up!) The concept of this keto is that, yes, we do still need fat, but while I still have so much extra on my body, I want it to come from there, not my plate. The main purpose of dietary fat on this plan is for nutrition and to keep cravings at bay, keeping me full between meals.

This plan I like best is from the works of Drs. Volek and Phinney. It's not as much fun because I'm having about 70-80g of fat per day instead of 100+, but so far, it's working for me!

I found a good macro calculator for this way of Keto at mindyourmacros.co I have also found a great Facebook page that supports this version of Keto and it has been working well for me because I personally need more structure, even if I choose to stray on my own occasionally. I need a set point to go back to.

And once I kept my carbs down for a couple of weeks, and my intense hunger went away, I introduced Intermittent Fasting.

I have only lost 14 lbs so far, and I have about 20 to go, but the way my clothes are fitting and the difference in how I look already with just 14 gone, is enough to have me hooked and keeping on this way.

I know this is long, but I could totally swear by this way of Keto. Others are finding success in other ways, but this is exactly what my body needed!

• KristinLeeD
    Options
    Oh, and eating at a deficit!
    No matter how good you are at tracking and keeping your carbs down, if you are not burning more calories than you are eating, you won't lose weight!
  • KristinLeeD
    edited March 2018
    Options
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    I went swim suit shopping!!! So here is my dilemma lmao. Do you all just let your butt cheeks hang out or what lol. I can fit in small and medium up top. But for me to feel comfortable in bottoms I get large still. I need to have the cheeks tucked away haha. I did get some super cute stuff. It's so much more fun shopping now!!

I'm not there yet, but hope to be soon. My goal is to go swimsuit shopping in April.
    I guess whether I let them hang out or not will depend on what they look like- lol!
  • KristinLeeD
    Options

I couldn't agree more. I was kicking myself out of ketosis every time I ate the couple of things I felt I couldn't give up. I wasn't gaining, because I was otherwise following the protocol, but I was definitely not losing to my full potential.
    Because of that, I know I can maintain once I get to my goal, but it was taking a really long time to reach my goal because I refused to give up those few items. Now, I'm making an effort to be stricter because I'd rather get to maintenance faster!

I also have to be very intentional because those calories and carbs sneak up on me - and MFP has been a HUGE help!
  • KristinLeeD
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Sunday is the worst day to weigh myself! All my weekend drinks and slight cheats catch up with me on Sunday lol! I can't do it, gotta wait til I fast this off

Which is why I started weighing on Sundays AND Wednesdays! Actually, for me, having to weigh on Sunday this week made me pass on a few items this weekend and later I realized I didn't regret passing on them. I need all the accountability I can get!
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    [/quote] NikkiJRM wrote:
    Your wife most likely has a lower basal metabolic rate. Even eating the same food & amounts her deficit is probably lower than yours so she'd lose less weight than you have. So unfair! :/ [/quote]

You are so right Nikki, it seems unfair. My wife eats fewer calories than me because her BMR is less than mine. Even so, she has slower weight loss than I. I think I've said it here before, I almost feel like I'm cheating because keto works so well and easy for me. We are all experiments of one and keto seems to work magic on this "Old Guy", :D

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone and welcome back Nikki! : I agree! I agree! I agree with so many of the comments just now! I'm not gaining (much!) but NOT LOOSING! I can't complain really, as I know I'm off track as we've had soooo much on and as soon as I have a drink (or two) there goes my weight up up and up. This is not improving currently as we are away tomorrow again for a few days and staying with friends so we will eat what we are provided with and no doubt have a drink or three!

So my plan currently is to just stick about the same weight which is around 157 to 158 (last week I was super excited to be 156, it lasted a day!) If I can do that and not gain I'm going to be pleased. I have every intention of not gaining and so at some point in the next few weeks I guess I'll settle down again and start to loose I hope, so I'm kind of viewing this as a maintenance phase.

I'll still weight myself each week (and every day to be honest!) but I really don't think I'll be loosing anything for a little while. The good thing is I'm fine with that as I've lost enough weight for people to notice and comment and my jeans are a size smaller! The great thing is I know that I won't feel that I want to go back to the old way of eating and that I will be able to contain myself at about where I am just now for a little while, then I'll get back to it.

So let's just enjoy either loosing or not gaining, which as I've said before is the equivalent of loosing for me as I've been so very very good at gaining in the past! Well done all who have lost and well done all who are sticking in there! <3<3
  • shreddingfortheknot
    Options
    Im in! New to keto & figuring it out but Sw march 10 168 lbs
    3/11: 166.8
    3/18:
    3/25:
    3/31: