how many calories do you eat a day?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I eat about 1850-2K depending on how active I am. My goal is to keep TDEE at around 2500 but some days I don't get there so I give up some rice pudding that day haha
  • marlaannmrowka
    marlaannmrowka Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 5'2" and the app is set at 1200. I just recently lowered it because I thought I could be challenged a little more and lose a little faster. I didn't feel like I was making any progress on the higher amount, and since I've switched I have been pretty good with keeping things balanced.
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    im 5'9 and 28. I eat around 1300 a day (one day a week aroun 1800) as i have a strict deadline for my weight loss goal (currently 150 pounds 7 to go) and workout 4-5 times per week. Im losing pretty quickly so think i may soon need to reassess!
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Depends on my workout routine that day, but generally 1300-1600. I usually work out 6x a week and am trying to build lean muscle more than lose fat. I am 5, 0" so even though it doesn't seem like a lot, it is pretty good. Only time I have to be careful are the rare days I burn 1000+ cals.
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm 5'9", CW 144 GW 135ish.
    I just started back on this, and am currently shooting for around ~1500 a day, which is what MFP sets for ~1lbs/week. It seems to be working, and isn't too hard to stay within. Once I hit the 130s, I'll probably bump that up to ~1750 or .5lbs/week.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    I just started back on this, and am currently shooting for around ~1500 a day, which is what MFP sets for ~1lbs/week. It seems to be working, and isn't too hard to stay within. Once I hit the 130s, I'll probably bump that up to ~1750 or .5lbs/week.

@gutsnglory6 Don’t forget that as your weight goes down, your caloric needs go down as well. So once you got the 130s, it probably won’t be exactly 1750 - you’ll have to recalculate what .5 would look like for your lower weight. :smile:
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    I'm sedentary and move very little, so as per IIFYM I'm aiming for 1272 cal. I recalculate every time my trending weight goes down 2 pounds or so though. According to Fitbit I burn 1934 on average and I'm losing about a pound per week.
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    bribucks wrote: »

@gutsnglory6 Don’t forget that as your weight goes down, your caloric needs go down as well. So once you got the 130s, it probably won’t be exactly 1750 - you’ll have to recalculate what .5 would look like for your lower weight. :smile:

Yes! I really like the MFP reminds me when it’s time to recalibrate. The overall difference between now and goal is about 60 cals less, but the overall goal of increasing my calories is to sort of work myself back up to maintenance (while still losing, just at a slower rate). :smile:
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    I normally eat between 1700-2200 cals a day, depending on how active I am. Still, that keeps me at a low deficit at 5'10".
  • gsteale1692
    gsteale1692 Posts: 2 Member
    I aim for 1200, and its still hard for me to do that when I do low carb and high protein. If i just eat junk, then its easy to hit over 2000.
  • io8785a
    io8785a Posts: 35 Member
    I try to stay under 1400. Most days I'm able to stay in the 1100-1250 range. I also try not to eat back my workout calories.
  • bikini_bug
    bikini_bug Posts: 15 Member
    I’m eating 1200 calories a day although wonder if that’s too low! I’m 5’6”, 142 lbs and relatively active (walk everywhere in New York, practice ashtanga yoga 4X a week, and surf for a week straight every three months). I’m trying to cut down to 135 lbs to improve my surfing and overall stamina. Thoughts?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    bikini_bug wrote: »
    I’m eating 1200 calories a day although wonder if that’s too low! I’m 5’6”, 142 lbs and relatively active (walk everywhere in New York, practice ashtanga yoga 4X a week, and surf for a week straight every three months). I’m trying to cut down to 135 lbs to improve my surfing and overall stamina. Thoughts?

That seems pretty low for your stats and activity level. Do you eat any calories back from exercise? How much are you losing per week with that amount? With only 7 lbs to lose I wouldn't go more than 1lb per week.
  • craftybrittney
    craftybrittney Posts: 21 Member
    I try to stay between 1500-1700.
    I have recently been drinking the equate version of slim fast for breakfast. I don’t always eat breakfast so it helps me stay nourished.

Other than that I still eat things I enjoy like pizza and French fries. I have just significantly downsized my meal portions. My biggest issue before was SUGAR. Basically just trying to stay away from sugar as much as possible.

My ultimate goal is to have a well rounded diet, while living an active, healthy lifestyle.
  • salutebitt
    salutebitt Posts: 2 Member
    I'm and I weigh 190 I eat about 1200 a day,

• bikini_bug
    bikini_bug Posts: 15 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bikini_bug wrote: »

That seems pretty low for your stats and activity level. Do you eat any calories back from exercise? How much are you losing per week with that amount? With only 7 lbs to lose I wouldn't go more than 1lb per week.

Yep, I’m trying not to lose beyond 1 lb per week; these numbers are what have been recommended by the Perfect Keto app. Agreed, it does feel low to me too! I tend to go beyond my carbs (thanks to the avocado I eat!) and fats (trying to use these to keep my body warm as I have been getting cold hands from keto)... maybe I can afford to adjust the macros a bit there. Still learning !

To answer your question, I eat post exercise what I’d call my first lunch and then another lunch a few hours after (I log these as lunch and snack).
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I'm breastfeeding, so I eat at maintenance and have my account set to active which equates to about a one pound loss every week at 2070 calories. I'm 5'1". It took me some fiddling around to realize that I needed to adjust my activity level up to lose less every week. So I'm guessing if l weren't breastfeeding, the equivalent deficit is about 1500 to lose one pound a week or 1750 to lose a half pound. I think the lowest my calories were if I remember correctly when I lost weight two years ago was between 1400-1500 to lose a pound a week and I wasn't nursing a baby then.
  • sjonesmse
    sjonesmse Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm at about 1200. I'm 124lbs and 5'2 with a good bit of muscle right now, looking to lean out all over and atrophy my legs a little (I was powerlifting before, now I'm going back to aerial arts and I don't really want to have to hoist all that weight around). 1200 puts me at losing about 1.5 lbs a week for a few weeks, but it'll plateau once my body adapts to that amount of energy and my weight is lower.

I feel like I let my metabolism slow down a lot lately though. I could eat a lot more before and get away with it-- now, not so much. But I was seeing muscle gains before (probably eating more like 2200).

I would KILL to be able to eat 3000 calories a day, but that's how I got 25 lbs heavier in the first place...
  • dabydabystar
    dabydabystar Posts: 5 Member
    I try to shoot for 600 , but end up eating 700-850 on average. But on sundays-my cheating days-probably up to 3.000-4.000.So, it evens up. Lol
  • mpaSOURmpa
    mpaSOURmpa Posts: 7 Member
    1,200. More on the days I go to the gym (about 1,600). I eat the exercise calories on some days, but not always.