! - The OMAD Adaption Pains Thread - !

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    dkayingram wrote: »
    I did 2mad on Sat/Sun and then back to OMAD yesterday which is the plan to do OMAD M-Friday and be more relaxed on the weekend. Yesterday, I actually felt hungry throughout the day which was unusual because last week I did just fine, no hunger pains at all.

For those of you that have been doing this long term, is that to be expected? It was fine, I just ignored it, and made it to my OMAD window 6pm-7pm.

Yes, just power through till your meal :smile:
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    If i dont make 1000 kalories in my meal, will it slow my metabolsm down ?? my meals are between 600 and 800 kalories
    I am so afraid of that i wont lose any weight if that happens ??
    my struggle is thatbi get full at about 600-900 calories. I'm stuffed at this point and I worry that I'm not getting enough calories. I work night shift in an office setting, so I do not get much exercise if any at all. Is 600-900 okay? TIA

If you are doing OMAD and plan to fast (zero or minimal calories) while eating your OMAD, then eating below 1000 calories for your meal isn't a good idea if you are looking at doing this everyday. You will not feel good and will not have any energy to do much. I'd really suggest that you don't eat "clean" and throw in some treats or even junk (:wink:) foods to bump up your calories. Alternative is, like others have said, to have splurge days.
    dkayingram wrote: »
    I did 2mad on Sat/Sun and then back to OMAD yesterday which is the plan to do OMAD M-Friday and be more relaxed on the weekend. Yesterday, I actually felt hungry throughout the day which was unusual because last week I did just fine, no hunger pains at all.

For those of you that have been doing this long term, is that to be expected? It was fine, I just ignored it, and made it to my OMAD window 6pm-7pm.

I've been doing OMAD since December and have my meals usually around 11am - 12 noon. I also have 2 cups of coffee with milk in the morning (just because I love coffee!). I eat a heck of a lot (!!) for the meal and that keeps me full till night time. If I am hungry and sometimes I do feel hungry, I will eat a light snack e.g. hard boiled egg, protein bar etc. It's been working for me so far.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I'm always more hungry after a splurge day for some reason. I think it is best to not have many. No more than once/wk IMO. You have to find what works for you and that is sustainable. Don't try for too large of a deficit like others have said, that also will make me very hungry the next day.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    I would literally die of mental hunger and lack of energy at that few calories... I average 1500 at least per day (though because I do a weekly extended fast my cals are structured differently but still)... Calorie dense foods as mentioned will help... We got overweight bc of our love of food so I would suggest not overthinking it, eat what you enjoy and make sure you get your nutrition and you'll be golden
  • dguilbeau
    dguilbeau Posts: 3 Member
    I've been OMAD for 2 weeks now. My stomach is shrinking so when I eat I get full so much faster. I haven't lost any weight per se but I also haven't taken my measurements. Note to self: need to do that this weekend. I try to stay KETO when I do eat meals. Been toying with the idea of one 48 hour fast every Monday/Tuesday but I read so much that OMAD gets the same results. I guess I should just keep plugging along and see what happens. But I definitely do feel better eating this way and my face is slimmer. I'm 170 lbs now. goal is 130. I get a hunger pang in the mornings and another in the afternoon but that's from habit I believe. So far able to pass through that. Is Chicken Broth okay on OMAD? Or should it just be tea/water/coffee? I grew up doing OMAD until everyone told me how bad it was for you. Now it's a thing. Go figure!
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Hmm, I would think that chicken broth is fine, but I wouldn't want all the salt.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hot water (sipped like coffee) is another completely calorie and guilt-free way to alleviate hunger.
  • aleroache20
    aleroache20 Posts: 106 Member
    Is it okay to have a serving of clear fiber in my coffee (2 tsp = 15 cal)? I find that it really helps with the hunger pains...
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2018
    Is it okay to have a serving of clear fiber in my coffee (2 tsp = 15 cal)? I find that it really helps with the hunger pains...

That should be fine, I have a light hot chocolate that is 25 calories and it doesn't hurt me at all.
  • aleroache20

That should be fine, I have a light hot chocolate that is 25 calories and it doesn't hurt me at all.[/quote

Thanks!
  • blambo61
    edited March 2018

That should be fine, I have a light hot chocolate that is 25 calories and it doesn't hurt me at all.[/quote

Thanks!

I think there is a metabolic advantage with fasting and eating the day's calories in a short window but I also think the major factor for losing weight is the calorie deficit that fasting helps us obtain so eating 15 cals might upset the littler effects (metabolic advantage) but it won't hardly touch the bigger effects (the calorie deficit). So my opinion is if it helps you get to your fast time which helps you to eat less for the day, that is a good thing and you will lose fat doing that!
  • aleroache20
    @blambo61 - Thanks!

@Brendalea69 - That hug was from me! Your hot chocolate saved my life last night. I was starving! I put a tablespoon in my coffee and it was delicious and filling. Thanks for the great tip.
  • Brendalea69
    @blambo61 - Thanks!

@Brendalea69 - That hug was from me! Your hot chocolate saved my life last night. I was starving! I put a tablespoon in my coffee and it was delicious and filling. Thanks for the great tip.

You're welcome, it's the only way I can drink coffee :)
  • vaughnche
    vaughnche Posts: 10 Member
    Okay, I started OMAD about a month ago, I went into it after an 8 day prayer fast. While on my extended fast, I had done some searching around the internet for some inspiration and accidentally stumbled across the concept of intermittent fasting. I was shocked by how easy it sounded, and OMAD fit my lifestyle perfectly. (I work nights, so I could just come home from work, have my meal, get some sleep then simply not take any food or snacks to work). I went directly from an extended fast to OMAD.

I love it. Not just tolerate it, I love it. It's my dream-diet come true, and I suppose therein lies the problem.

Psychologically, it feels too easy. I keep doing things to try to make it more complicated. Like combining OMAD with 5:2, or having 2 zero carb days per week (I do OMAD + keto, so I'm already low carb), or having a dry-fast day or on and on. I have great results with OMAD, not just weight loss but I'm seeing incredible improvements in my health, but nope, it has to be too good to be true so I have to make it harder. (which of course results in stress which in turn affects my health and weight loss)

I am my own worst enemy, I swear. I found an eating pattern I feel like I can live with for the rest of my life, and yet I'm trying to sabotage it by making it harder. Someone stop me!
  • bandwidthbandit
    bandwidthbandit Posts: 74 Member
    vaughnche wrote: »
    Someone stop me!

STOP!!!

Seriously, this WOE is almost too good to be true. Almost. Fact is, I have experienced great success this year with OMAD, and I tried to over complicate it as well. (Just my nature, I guess...) Just relax and let your body do the work. I know easier said than done sometimes, but believe me. It is this simple.
  • blambo61
    edited March 2018
    vaughnche wrote: »
    Okay, I started OMAD about a month ago, I went into it after an 8 day prayer fast. While on my extended fast, I had done some searching around the internet for some inspiration and accidentally stumbled across the concept of intermittent fasting. I was shocked by how easy it sounded, and OMAD fit my lifestyle perfectly. (I work nights, so I could just come home from work, have my meal, get some sleep then simply not take any food or snacks to work). I went directly from an extended fast to OMAD.

I love it. Not just tolerate it, I love it. It's my dream-diet come true, and I suppose therein lies the problem.

Psychologically, it feels too easy. I keep doing things to try to make it more complicated. Like combining OMAD with 5:2, or having 2 zero carb days per week (I do OMAD + keto, so I'm already low carb), or having a dry-fast day or on and on. I have great results with OMAD, not just weight loss but I'm seeing incredible improvements in my health, but nope, it has to be too good to be true so I have to make it harder. (which of course results in stress which in turn affects my health and weight loss)

I am my own worst enemy, I swear. I found an eating pattern I feel like I can live with for the rest of my life, and yet I'm trying to sabotage it by making it harder. Someone stop me!

You have to stop yourself, no one can do it for you. Realization of what is going on and buying into that is the first step. Doesn't sound like your in denial. Now you just need to act on what you know! This goes for all of us. I'm certain there are some ways of thinking about it that are helpful and we can all share these ideas and encourage each other but in the end, only we decide what we are going to do.
  • vaughnche
    vaughnche Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks y'all. Oh yeah, no denial here. I've been doing IF with a friend (she's 16/8 and I'm OMAD) and we both try to keep each other from pulling this kind of garbage on ourselves, but dieting is supposed to be hard, right?. Complicated! It's what we've always been told, and those of us who have dieted in the past, that's been the experience. And now here's simple timing making a huge difference. We're still getting used to the idea that we're not suffering and hangry and that we don't have to be.

It helps to be among a community of people who get results from their OMAD without adding a bunch of convoluted schemes to their plan. And the results are there for me too. 3 more lbs down as of this morning and my pants are starting to get baggy. Hopefully just seeing results, watching my pants slowly fall off, will help me relax and not overthink it.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    It really is that simple and the beauty of it all is that is does work. The proof is in the pudding or in your case in the baggy pants. Don't overthink it and you will be fine.
  • daniabrioschi
    daniabrioschi Posts: 32 Member
    I started Omad yesterday evening. My window is 8-10 pm because it is the most accountable time for social eating with my family!
    Yesterday evening I had a round baby margherita pizza.
    I finished it all. I felt a little grumpy because it was around 1300 calories for just one meal
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    I started Omad yesterday evening. My window is 8-10 pm because it is the most accountable time for social eating with my family!
    Yesterday evening I had a round baby margherita pizza.
    I finished it all. I felt a little grumpy because it was around 1300 calories for just one meal

That is my meal time too, I am half way into my second week. I have been a little grumpy at times too, all part of getting used to new habits after stuffing my face all day for so long haha :) welcome and good luck! :)