TEAM: The Slimsons (March)

Options

Replies

• IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for there advice. I haven’t heard anything bad. Going to look into it more and see how I can get started
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    JJKM02 wrote: »
    Daily post for Thursday (Sorry....busy day yesterday!
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise 60 minutes of aquafit and a very expensive trip to Costco!

All of my trips to costco are expensive...
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    AB0215 wrote: »
    Starting something new so that it will hopefully make things a bit easier. I'm going to post reminders for each weigh in day and tag the those on that day so I hopefully have to send less reminders out. I will also be sending a reminder on Saturdays now to those who didn't post during the week as a final reminder that if they don't post it on Saturday, it either won't count for the week or unfortunately cause an elimination from the challenge.

Just a suggestion but private messages might be better. I used to do the tagging in a post and it worked a little (very little) but sending a PM was a lot more effective at receiving a response.

This is a suggestion from another team captain and I'm willing to try it, I'm usually willing to give things a try, I really want to see everyone succeed and not be eliminated from the challenge. I know we're all busy and forget, I'd like to try, and I appreciate you sharing your experience, I had thought that it might be the case that it wouldn't work or wouldn't help much.
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »

If they don’t go on the forums they won’t get the notification, if they get a message they get notified. Just takes a lot of time and work.

Yep, sadly, I don't get message notifications anyway, I just have to check it like 5 times a day. My MFP has been broken for months and part of me had to wonder if I was the only one.
  • 99hockeymom
    99hockeymom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've missed posting most of this week, kids were sick and I was out of my routine. I also missed my weigh yesterday. Ooops! But down to 182. Woohoo!!
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)

Track: yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, 90 mins weight training.
    Water Intake: 99 oz

Day/Goals: Today was part 2 in the 1 rm testing, it went very well. I am happy to report I exceeded my goals in 2 of my 3 lifts and met it in the last one. I have some work to do, but my results are encouraging.

Posting early today, I think I am going to take the rest of the evening off from the internet, well at least forums. I think I'm about to play some celebratory video games for my reward for my training hard work.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Sorry I've missed posting most of this week, kids were sick and I was out of my routine. I also missed my weigh yesterday. Ooops! But down to 182. Woohoo!!

Congrats!!
  • ssssanaaaa
    ssssanaaaa Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Weigh in:
    Username: ssssanaaaa
    Week: March Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    Previous Week's Weight: 193.2
    Current Weight: 195.0

• AB0215
    Options
    oxdk03psjfww.jpg
  • JJKM02
    JJKM02 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Daily Post for Friday
    Track yes
    Calories just under
    Exercise Today was my laziest day in forever. I think the week and report cards not to mention the rain made me tired. I am back to the gym tomorrow, but today I barely moved!
    Water about 80oz
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)
    Day/Goals:Tried my first bulletproof coffee today. Turned out pretty good. I think I probably prefer my usual creamy cuppa, but will definitely add the occasional BPC to my world.
    Calories: Yes.
    Exercise: Yes.
    Water Intake: Good
    ypzfdrgtwe8e.jpg

With the msg vs tag thing.. I burned out really badly on the msging.. I found it strangely exhausting and It was the reason I took a step back. You want the team to do well and you care about your teammates, but ultimately we're all adults and can't expect someone to hold our hands. Ppl need to want to succeed.

Both our Captain and Co-Cap have done a wonderful job this month. Thank you both for your efforts.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Fyreside wrote: »

I bought a new toy. The pee based keto strips have been disturbingly showing trace or no signs of ketones for months now. Which is not uncommon in a keto adapted body. You just don't make more than you need.. etc. But despite having every reason to believe I was in ketosis, I really wanted to see the numbers, so I bought a blood test machine that does both glucose and ketones. In the up-comming days/weeks, I'm looking forward to fine tuning my diet macro's to see if I can dial in on optimal function. (it was 2.1 btw, in an ideal range of 1.5-3)

Oh interesting! Let me know how it works. My keto strips suck..or maybe it's me and my bad diet lately :)

Hey, just a quick followup on this topic. I've had a chance to do both an end of busy day test and a fresh in the morning one. I'm reading that a healthy "in keto" range is from 1.5-3mmol/L My late in the day test came in at 2.1 and my fresh in the morning test just read 2.4 So I'm pretty happy with those numbers.

So, now that I've answered my main question which was, Am I really in ketosis and why are these strip tests saying no trace? Part of me wonders if I really should have bought a machine just to find out lol. I probably should have just asked my doctor if he has a machine and gotten my answer that way. However, in the coming months I will definitely test my carb limits and find out just how many carbs per day I can get away with without falling out of keto. As well as mess with my macro's to see if I can really dial in optimal fat burn.
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories just over
    Exercise yes gym
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Friday
    Tracking Yes
    Calories Yes Under
    Exercise Yes heavy cleaning
    Water Not enough
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @Fyreside What is bullet proof coffee?
  • Fyreside
    Options
    memery7 wrote: »
    @Fyreside What is bullet proof coffee?

It's a long black coffee that you put in a blender with a tablespoon of MCT oil. (refined coconut and palm) And two tablespoons of grass fed unsalted butter. Then blend up until it reaches a latte consistency. That one I took a picture of sat for a bit before I grabbed my phone. It did have a nice fluffy froth on top to start. Kinda yummy. Ideal for the person who is looking for some specifically healthy types of fat in their diet.

Daily Post (Saturday)
    Day/Goals:Almost all of my Friday calories were consumed at 1am on Friday morning.. unfortunately, I've not yet won the battle with late night snack binge eating. So I decided to fast until tonight. Had a great day considering, got a few hours in on the lumber again and after weighing in, I finished the day with a veritable feast.
    Water Intake: Not good enough yet, but the night is not over and I'm still working on it.

Weigh in:
    Username: Fyreside
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 251.1 lbs
    Current Weight: 248.6 lbs

After my mid week low, I bounced back as I was pretty dehydrated and everything I drank on Wed night just soaked in. But progress continued and I'm really happy with where I finished the week/month. Not losing at the rate I might like, but I'll take the consistency any day. Have a great April everyone. :)
  • AB0215
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »

I bought a new toy. The pee based keto strips have been disturbingly showing trace or no signs of ketones for months now. Which is not uncommon in a keto adapted body. You just don't make more than you need.. etc. But despite having every reason to believe I was in ketosis, I really wanted to see the numbers, so I bought a blood test machine that does both glucose and ketones. In the up-comming days/weeks, I'm looking forward to fine tuning my diet macro's to see if I can dial in on optimal function. (it was 2.1 btw, in an ideal range of 1.5-3)

Oh interesting! Let me know how it works. My keto strips suck..or maybe it's me and my bad diet lately :)

Hey, just a quick followup on this topic. I've had a chance to do both an end of busy day test and a fresh in the morning one. I'm reading that a healthy "in keto" range is from 1.5-3mmol/L My late in the day test came in at 2.1 and my fresh in the morning test just read 2.4 So I'm pretty happy with those numbers.

So, now that I've answered my main question which was, Am I really in ketosis and why are these strip tests saying no trace? Part of me wonders if I really should have bought a machine just to find out lol. I probably should have just asked my doctor if he has a machine and gotten my answer that way. However, in the coming months I will definitely test my carb limits and find out just how many carbs per day I can get away with without falling out of keto. As well as mess with my macro's to see if I can really dial in optimal fat burn.

I've done both, and I stopped using both. The urine strips are a good indicator only when you are in the very beginning. It is showing an excess amount of ketones, the ones you don't use that are excreted. When you begin keto, your body isn't as efficient at using ketones so you will see a larger excretion of ketones. Blood ketones are a better measure of ketosis, but it still has it's flaws. Bottom line is, if you're limiting your carbs, you will be in ketosis. Now what is very useful about the blood testing is to help test your limits, but even then, once you have been doing keto for a while, you know how you feel when you're in ketosis and when you are not by how you feel. I learned my limits and how I felt in relation using the blood test, so there's a little extra information, if you'd like it.

Side note on the "In keto range" it's really from about .5 mmol and up, but optimal seems to be different for a lot of people and mine is around about 1 mmol. Some people report the higher the number, the higher the amount of energy they have, but everyone is different, so you really need to find what works for you and testing may be a great tool to help you find this.
  • AB0215
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Daily Post (Friday)
    Day/Goals:Tried my first bulletproof coffee today. Turned out pretty good. I think I probably prefer my usual creamy cuppa, but will definitely add the occasional BPC to my world.
    Water Intake: Good

With the msg vs tag thing.. I burned out really badly on the msging.. I found it strangely exhausting and It was the reason I took a step back. You want the team to do well and you care about your teammates, but ultimately we're all adults and can't expect someone to hold our hands. Ppl need to want to succeed.

Both our Captain and Co-Cap have done a wonderful job this month. Thank you both for your efforts.

Bulletproof coffee, my two cents. So butter in coffee is delicious--found that out a while back and I found that once melted, I really didn't need to blend it, just stir it before I drink it, but everyone has a different take on that. MCT oil helps me in the gym, I usually only put a little MCT oil and some heavy whipping cream in mine, super tasty, but the MCT oil really gives me a pretty big boost in the gym on the days where I know I need to dig deep, otherwise I don't drink coffee and I don't eat before I go to the gym.

• AB0215
    Options
    Weigh in:
    Username: AB0215
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Week's Weight: 189.3 lbs
    Current Weight: 188.4 lbs
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    Options