TEAM: Gutbusters (April)

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a deal to take acroyoga classes when we are the same weight. Just 50 more pounds. I should have no problem with push ups by then.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get out riding on my bike again - if only for a couple of miles. Hopefully I'll not feel so self conscious when I've lost a few more stones!
  • concordancia
    Options
    Oh, and I would love to try aerial silks! Again, need a much better upper body strength to body weight ratio, as well as improved core, to try that one out.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    April 26
    Exercised?: Yes, 5.19km run on the treadmill
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

What activity have you not done but would like to try?
    @craigo3154 Funnily enough I was thinking about buying some roller skates the other day! Thought it would be a fun "rest day" activity in the summer. I've also accumulated a range of exercise equipment over time to try some circuits in the garden this year - hula hoop, skipping rope, ab roller etc. Will see if the fiance's up for it to switch up our workout routines. I'm also hoping to get some horse riding in whilst we're in New Zealand. Once I got over 13.5 stone as a 21 year old I stopped as I felt it was too much for the horses at my local riding school to carry. I really miss my step classes too - seems to have fallen out of fashion in local gyms these days.
  • parinzz
    parinzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Username: parinzz
    Week: April WK 4
    Weigh day: Thursday
    Previous week: 140.0
    Current weight: 140.0
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Username: alydanbeads
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 138.4
    Current weight: 138.8
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    April 27
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 44 mins (hills).

Got walk in early. Looking forward to the weekend. Should be good weather an light winds.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for April 27 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for: @szymanskicolleen. @typeitdaily.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Username: typeitdaily
    Weigh in week: 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 241.2
    Todays Weight: 242.6
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Great list of things to aspire to. Aerial silks, acroyoga even horse riding, roller skating and bike riding. Gives me also ideas of things to try.

Question for today. Recording progress, have any of you taken progress photos and/or kept a good record of your progress over the months?

It is astonishingly hard to take progress photos at the start of a weight loss journey. Most don't (and later wish they did). Having objective evidence of where you came from is enormously helpful (even if you never plan to share them).

This morning I took some photos of where I am now. My weight this morning was the same as Wednesday, which is equal lowest for what I have had for many months (63.9kg - 140.9lbs). If people want I can share my current progress photos along with the ones that show not long after I started almost a year ago (at 87kg).

• concordancia
    Options
    I just record weight. Every picture taken over the last five years is a before picture, including our wedding pictures.

I managed 4 pushups on the back of the park bench this morning. My thing with dips is that I am too round, so everything is at the wrong angle. My elbows stick out due to the extra padding on my sides and arms and my weight has to be too far forward due to the extra padding on my *kitten*. However, between the yoga and the push ups, I actually noticed my triceps last night.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Username: aeloine
    Last week: 221.8
    Current: 220.2 on Wednesday and 219 on Thursday! I've dipped below 220 3/5 days this week!!!

@aeloine. Well done. The weight is what it is. Pretty sure next week it will record on Wednesday below 220.

Seems like you have now found what works for you. Just keep doing it.

Unfortunately I went on vacation/road trip and I'm still holding on to some water weight. This has been a crazy weight week. Left at just above 218, came back at almost 229 after 4 days! Dropped 6 pounds in 2 days and have sat in the low 220s for the last three days.

Username: aeloine
    Weighin day: Wednesday
    Week: 4?
    Last weigh in: 219
    Current weigh in: 222.8
  • emmclean
    Options
    April 27
    Exercised?: Yes, 5.04km run on the treadmill

I set out to workout every day this week and I did it! Of all the ways I've been monitoring my progress over the last 6 months the clearest correlation is more exercise = more weight loss. It's not so apparent week on week, there have been some times I've barely worked out and had a woosh but overall it's obvious so I'm really trying to step that up.

Second wedding dress hunt tomorrow, I'm 33lbs down from my last trip so it will be quite a different experience! Although I'm only around 1 dress size different so far...

Before and after photos: I've been doing them this time around. Have been taking photos every time I drop a stone (14lbs) only 3lbs to go until the next one!
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 I’d love to see your progress photos! I love all progress photos. I find them motivating.

@concordancia I get this. You’re doing awesome work. Keep it up. Gaining...I guess it’s mobility? Flexibility? Is probably my favorite thing about this whole weight loss process.

When I started losing weight, I didn’t want to start my strength training with a class bc I knew how impossible some of the moves would be with my body. I only started classes a month ago after nearly half a year of elliptical, slimming down, and becoming more compact with muscle on my own. I know some people like to be thrown in the deep end, but gradual was the right choice for me. I’m far from the best in the room and occasionally the worst, but I can now get a good workout in without feeling humiliated. Occasionally I need to modify a move, but I generally can do at least some version of the move now.

I actually had an interesting experience at my class today. Ran into two girls I knew from high school and haven’t seen in...maybe 5 years? I have no idea if I weighed more or less the last time I saw them. I don’t care that much. Because I’m so proud of the work I’ve done, and I’m certainly more muscular and strong. I feel like I held my own today.

Like others have mentioned, all my old photos will be my true “before” photos. Lately, though, I have started taking actual progress photos to compare the effect of added muscle on my body. It’s cool to see the dimensions change.
  • emmclean
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Week: 4
    Last weigh in: 196
    Current weigh in: 195

Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed, I worked my backside off this week, average daily calories was less than 1,000 when exercise taken into account. But a loss is a loss and I'm pleased, hard work will still pay off in other ways, I feel full of energy!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    April 28
    Exercised?: Yes. Over 10,000 steps setting up and packing up drone track.

Beautiful weather light winds. Great day flying.

Progress photo taken yesterday (64kg - 141lbs):
    bysfwbmhy5pf.jpg

Progress photos from my August 10 2017 post "**BIGGEST LOSER SUCESSES AND MOTIVATION**" thread - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10465540/biggest-loser-sucesses-and-motivation
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Ok. Here is mine. I'm smaller now - 179.4. I'll get a new pic when I'm in the 160's. ..
    @jackinorrie. Looks amazing Jacki. Well done. You must feel so much better.

I may as well re-post mine (from UAC last month - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40088983/#Comment_40088983).

They are intended for self reference only (so apologies for sans shirt (socially acceptable for men), this way I can see changes as only progressing from overweight (not obese) to normal - not much shows when clothed).

Side:
    jz8yjnozg7zt.png
    Front:
    6c2h8bzubiw5.png

Photos left to right are: 87kg (192 lbs), 81kg (178 lbs) and 74kg (163 lbs) and I am at 72kg (157 lbs) as of this morning.

You can see why I do not need to lose any more weight. :)

Daily Strength challenge

"Challenge for April 28 is squats (no weight - air squat - http://www.12minuteathlete.com/how-to-do-a-proper-air-squat/).
    You can do assisted squats (using a table or bench top to take weight off the knees if it is too much)."

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress photos @craigo3154 !!!!
    You worked hard and were successful and now you continue on with your healthy habits.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    As my current audio-book is "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns M.D. it gets me thinking.

Daily question: What makes you feel happy or satisfied?

For me, I seem to get the most satisfaction from meeting or at least striving to meet personal goals and commitments. They do not have to be lofty goals, but things I have set out to do. It has taken years to set SMART goals (specific, measurable, ATTAINABLE, RELEVANT, timely).

I highlighted attainable and relevant because these are the parts I always struggled with. It took me years to get this process right. Now that I have, I can

For example, my goals for tomorrows racing are:
    • To try hit top speed of my quad SOMEWHERE on the course.
    • To attempt to fly as well as I have in the past week.
    Everything beyond those is a bonus. It's not to win or even make final (cannot control that). It's not to finish every heat (desirable, but still not entirely in my control).

When losing weight it was to follow plan and to TRACK progress (note: NOT make progress). I cannot directly control the weight (it fluctuates too much - also how I metabolise a varied diet can change unpredictably). I can control if I follow plan. I can change the plan if it becomes too difficult to follow or was impractical.

I get pleasure from walking in the forest. Learning foreign languages. Solving puzzles.

I make sure I do at least one thing each day that I get pleasure from.

Life is too short to be miserable or beat yourself up over what you feel you "should" have done.
  • krissturner
    krissturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    WOW! Awesome progress photos @craigo3154 !
    I take progress photos too. I take my mine with less clothes regardless of social acceptability, not that I post them publicly often, but I find that when it comes to being honest it makes me more accountable. Certain shirts flatter me a lot more than others and some make me look 10 pounds heavier than they should.
  • krissturner
    krissturner Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Username: krissturner
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weeks weight: 245.6
    Today’s weight: 244.4

I'm grateful to end the month even though I don't feel like I made a ton of progress the last few weeks. As of today I'm down 20.7 lbs altogether since beginning this journey!

Thank you everyone for being such a great inspiration! See ya on the May thread!
This discussion has been closed.