Meaty May

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    q7lk1r0miwsd.jpeg

Getting ready with lamb loin chops cooked in ghee and topped with blue cheese and the ghee from the pan poured over top. For May, I will be dropping the dairy except ghee, but this was just a warm up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Good stuff to think about from another forum:
    I think there's lots of good ones out there, but yeah it's almost like it's more about finding your niche than justifying your position. Or maybe just like it. Shawn Baker for instance--I think plant-free is interesting, there are people out there who look to be doing pretty good. There is a plausibility in places, if a person really needed more consistent ketosis, maybe being able to be a little freer with protein would be worth bringing the carbs even lower. But his lab numbers kind of suck, when somebody has a blood glucose in the 90's I'm sort of willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but 125 with a prediabetic A1C looks suspicious. If the A1C were prediabetic, and the blood glucose normal, again benefit of the doubt, A1C doesn't perfectly correlate with average blood glucose. Taken together these deserve better than the shrug Baker seems to have given. A carnivore diet is healthful, so whatever my numbers are, they must be healthful doesn't really cut it. He could easily drop his protein in half and increase his fat, and his blood glucose would probably go down, this would look more like a normalization of diet than protein restriction, since he's eating 300+ grams a day.

If there really are people so sensitive to just about every plant (or to so many that it's not worth the risk looking for tolerable ones), that doesn't do away with the need to find out what's best within a carnivore template.

My n=1 on that front was that my morning glucose ran a bit high (110-115) even while meat only, but on a plan that did three meals a day. Dropped breakfast and went to two meals a day and my numbers dropped into the 80s within a week or two and stayed there even after adding a morning latte back in.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oh snap. The weather has warmed up and we have a new grill.

bbqle0lbw0rk.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Going grocery shopping soon to stock up for the first week of May. It definitely is BBQ season!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Yo!
    I put a sticky up at the top with the other challenge so, if yours gets buried in the mess, you can just go in that thread and click the link to this one without having to dig around for it if it's not on the front page.

Happy MEATing!
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have to confess I’ll actually be starting Meaty May a day late as I forgot it was 1st May today and wasn’t prepared!
  • cricketpower
    Options
    I have to confess I’ll actually be starting Meaty May a day late as I forgot it was 1st May today and wasn’t prepared!

Better luck tomorrow! :D

So WHO actually started today ~ and how did it go?

We had a lot of folks signing up. But today is pretty quiet.

I'm already 11 days in. Working out the kinks with the histamine issue. I feel AMAZING sometimes, and sometimes, just... not. It's been my norm for a long time, I think, to not feel good. But the AMAZING part is pretty new!

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    But today is pretty quiet.

We're busy

PtyBF1d.jpg
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm doing meaty may! However I am a day ahead of you all and yesterday was the 1st so I am on day 2. Going good so far :-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot myself at one point and went to grab a handful of nuts. LOL

I started today. All animal products but I have a bit of dairy and coffee. The rest of the day was pork chops and pepperoni sticks. I didn't log so I suspect I under ate a bit. I have more food planned for tomorrow when I have more time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was mostly doing carnivore already... copy / paste from another thread in the carnivore group:

Yesterday: I had coffee for breakfast - it was not as strong as I'm trying to ease back on coffee slowly. I have about 1 cup of sucralose left (not carnivore) and some cinnamon that I've been adding to coffee until I run out.
    Mid-morning, I had a glucose tablet to treat hypoglycemia (not carnivore, but necessary in my case).
    For lunch, the boss brought in food because it was a busy day. I ordered a build-a-burger from a local restaurant. The options I chose were beef and cheese, bacon, pulled pork, and egg. No sauces and no bun. Side of cottage cheese. Of course they put the bun-less burger on a lettuce bed, which I did not eat.
    For dinner, I cooked 2 sirloin tip roasts. I ate 1 of them and part of the 2nd. The rest of the 2nd roast is in the fridge for leftovers.

Today: Coffee for breakfast (still using up sucralose and cinnamon). For lunch, will probably go home (I live about 4-5 min. drive from work) and either re-heat some of the sirloin tip roast from yesterday or cook hamburger on the counter-top grill and add cheese. Depending on what time I get away from work, I have a dinner meeting in a nearby town. I've been to the establishment before and IIRC, the best carnivore option is to get a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun / etc. and skip the side (bag of potato chips). Drink water as I have been able to go without diet soda for several weeks now and am pleased with that.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I managed no plants so far today, omelette for lunch as I didn’t fancy meat for some reason, not sure how everyone feels about eggs on Meaty May but I remember reading once someone on a carnivore diet saying they considered eggs pre-meat so I’m going along with that! I’ve got some nice big beef burgers for dinner and more eggs for a side dish.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Had (what is supposed to be) my 5-hour class this morning.

Found out last week that my teacher is vegan ~ which would explain why we watched "What the Health" as part of this class (advanced anatomy & physiology). I overheard another student telling her that she had been eating vegan since watching it in class a few weeks ago. As I sat there thinking... "wow, ALL I'm eating is meat". :D

Clearly the "documentary" did not convince me.

I was tempted to break out my ziploc bag with giant cold burger during class today. Not to be a smartass or offensive -- but because I felt like it was time to eat. Thankfully, she let us out of class way early, and I enjoyed my cold burger in the car on the way home.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you do a little digging, @cricketpower, you will find that 'documentary' is "kitten" as we say around MFP...
  • cricketpower
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    If you do a little digging, @cricketpower, you will find that 'documentary' is "kitten" as we say around MFP...

Lol. It was a load of crap. I sat through it because I needed to be there for the lab we did later in class. ;)
  • cricketpower
    Options
    I managed no plants so far today, omelette for lunch as I didn’t fancy meat for some reason, not sure how everyone feels about eggs on Meaty May but I remember reading once someone on a carnivore diet saying they considered eggs pre-meat so I’m going along with that! I’ve got some nice big beef burgers for dinner and more eggs for a side dish.

I think it's unanimous that Meaty May does include eggs. :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

I think it's unanimous that Meaty May does include eggs. :)

I think it's a personal choice, but my version of meaty may definitely includes both eggs and cheese.

Must have cheese - cheese is life!!!! :smiley:
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Haven't had my crickets since I went full carnivore. Let's see what the histamine has to say about that. :)

msqpfx01n5bd.jpg
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You know how with vegetables & fruits people say to eat a variety, like "colors of the rainbow"? Would the carnivore version of that be eating from a variety of species?
    Yesterday I had ground beef for lunch, salmon for dinner, and salami for a snack!