Meaty May

Options

Replies

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    You know how with vegetables & fruits people say to eat a variety, like "colors of the rainbow"? Would the carnivore version of that be eating from a variety of species?
    Yesterday I had ground beef for lunch, salmon for dinner, and salami for a snack!

Yes. I believe so.

I think my taste buds have done some changing. My cricket shake-up tasted a little like chocolate. :D

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lol whaaaat!! Cricket flour?? I am intrigued!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Starting late, but I'm in!
    Meal 1 (noon) Eggs, bacon
    Meal 2 (5 pm) Ribeye & a porkchop

That was easy!
  • cricketpower
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lol whaaaat!! Cricket flour?? I am intrigued!

Yeah. kirkor told me to make "huevos con grillos" with them and that was NASTY. :D

Drinking them isn't bad at all. And my body seems to agree with it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    hey, you had already bought the damn stuff ;)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Haven't had my crickets since I went full carnivore. Let's see what the histamine has to say about that. :)

msqpfx01n5bd.jpg

I thought I took some weird stuff.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Anyone else taking measurements and stuff? I did this morning so I know where I sit later.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I phased in a few days early and was full carnivore starting on April 30 with one exception. I have some canned sardines in EVOO. I figured that little bit won't hurt. It is kind of like seasoning. I will be picking up some more sardines in water so I can have those through the rest of the month.

As for variety, in addition to sardines, I have had eggs, pastured lamb, ground beef a couple of ways, salami and salmon so far.

Sprouts recently had grass fed ground beef on sale for $3.99/lb, so I stocked up. Last night, i took one package (1.45 lbs - if my math is correct that is 23.2 oz) and made a pretty massive and tasty burger. Just beef and some seasoning - mostly SPG (salt, pepper & garlic powder). It was delish. It took up the entire pan when cooking it. The only down side was it splattered a bit when I flipped it so some of the grease was lost. I did pour the remaining grease on the burger after plating it. Fortunately, my wife and daughter are now used to seeing me like the grease off my plate when I'm done.

I know cheese should be ok, but I am using this as an elimination diet time to see what affects my BG, so the only dairy I am using is ghee since even those with extreme dairy sensitivities can frequently have it. I am already missing my cheese, glorious cheese.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    Anyone else taking measurements and stuff? I did this morning so I know where I sit later.

The only thing I am tracking is BG. I do still weigh every morning, but I am already at goal there, so it is more just to make sure I stay there. Of the seven deadly sins, gluttony is the one where I struggle. I always took "all you can eat" as a challenge.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    hey, you had already bought the damn stuff ;)

I know -- it was a great suggestion -- it just turned out to be gross. :D

The dog liked it.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »

I'm just checking ketones and blood sugar on Saturday mornings to keep up with my nerdery in that department.

No goal for weight loss (and I don't weigh & measure anymore) ~ but I did take a nice bloated gut picture the day I decided I needed to do carnivore, and I think I'll have a nice side-by-side at the end of May. My abs are showing up again, and I like it. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @cricketpower, I wondered if your name had any foodstuff connections... I am a fan of crickets, but have never used the flour... I prefer mine mixed with other stuff like seeds and some buckwheat and better flavours ;) .
    wjodlwqwswv3.jpg
  • canadjineh
    Options
    ** I apologize for mentioning seeds and buckwheat in this forum thread :D **
  • cricketpower
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    ** I apologize for mentioning seeds and buckwheat in this forum thread :D **

LOL -- don't let it happen again! :D

Yep. You got my name figured out before I even posted about it. ;)

I haven't tried any of the cricket products ... there are approximately 1 million things I don't (or can't) eat, so it's just water & crickets for me. I'm sure they've made some amazing things with it. The flavor really isn't bad. The bag came with a recipe e-book. They add it to pretty much everything.

It does smell exactly like a canister of fish food when you first open it. I mean, exactly.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Keeping up with kirkor's "variety" theme ~ I'm eating bison.

Yes, I know. I know it's boring, and it looks like beef. But it's not. It's BISON! :)

o6cvb0kzoqo9.jpg
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Today’s meal. Along with meaty May, I’ve integrated my old routine of one meal per day. So far, so good. Down 3 pounds in 2 days.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we can't buy crickets in New Zealand lol very bizarre!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Rise up, entomophagists of the world!! Over 2 billion of us according to a fairly recent article.

BTW, hubby and I had bison burgers at a local gourmet burger place in our town on Tuesday. With goat cheese (in a lettuce wrap for me because I have celiac disease). It's my favorite burger there. Bison is delicious.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Salmon last night, and salmon today. If it makes me feel good, it's going to stay! :)

7ysuytz2p6ci.jpg
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    "Salmon in the morning, salmon in the evening, salmon at suppertime"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvEHn6fKWE