A Must Watch

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    I took the the title "The Magic Pill" to mean there wasn't any! That's just me :) I thought the documentary was worth watching.

Ahhh.... I am embarrassed never thought of that! :)

Edited because I am embarrassed that I spelled embarrassed wrong and had to fix it. ;)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I took the the title "The Magic Pill" to mean there wasn't any! That's just me :) I thought the documentary was worth watching.

That was my take too. My generation came along right after wide use of antibiotics got underway. I know some of my generation will load up on sugar and say I will take an extra Metformin as if it is a magic pill.

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    OK just watched this movie and I am just blown away , now I want to try to do the keto again , I do low carb now , but I am going to do more research before I try again , and I don't know why I am not going into ketosis , it has been over 100 days and I am really struggling , but I am doing the diet , what am I missing , is it the metformin or the lantus holding me back ??? but Thank You so Much for telling us about this movie . it was amazing .
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 it is on my heart to mention Dr. Jason Fung to you. I don't have a particular article or video to link, but please check out his stuff and see if anything is interesting to you. He has a book on Amazon I haven't read. I just know that I have loved every talk I've ever heard him do. Best wishes!
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    @tammyfranks2 it is on my heart to mention Dr. Jason Fung to you. I don't have a particular article or video to link, but please check out his stuff and see if anything is interesting to you. He has a book on Amazon I haven't read. I just know that I have loved every talk I've ever heard him do. Best wishes!

I will look him up Thank you so much :smiley:
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

for anyone else who wants to watch his videos , here is a link
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I liked the film and thought it was interesting. I find that most documentaries these days have some sort of argument they are going to present and then footage that suits that argument and proves the point they are trying to make. With that in mind, I find the things that resonate with me throughout the film and maybe do a little more research outside of the confines of what the filmmaker is trying to say. It's always good to remain objective in most cases, in my opinion. From my personal experience the LCHF WOE has greatly benefited my health, I may not be extremely low carb or Keto but cutting out the majority of processed foods and sugars has shown significant results across the board. This WOE has kick started so many other healthy habits in my life so I can't knock it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OK just watched this movie and I am just blown away , now I want to try to do the keto again , I do low carb now , but I am going to do more research before I try again , and I don't know why I am not going into ketosis , it has been over 100 days and I am really struggling , but I am doing the diet , what am I missing , is it the metformin or the lantus holding me back ??? but Thank You so Much for telling us about this movie . it was amazing .

First, how do you know you're not in ketosis? If you're using the urine strips, it's likely a false negative. As the body adapts, fewer ketones are wasted, and the urine strips become less accurate.

That said, ketone production is insulin-moderated, so yes, the Lantus might be interfering. Metformin shouldn't, as its action is on increasing insulin sensitivity in liver (which means less insulin is required, and ideally, lower insulin levels). It might be worth revisiting your Lantus dosage if you haven't recently, to make sure you don't need the amount that you're currently taking.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I took the title the same way. There IS no 'magic pill' folks. I'm so glad I watched this movie. Btw, before I was keto I spent time following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and several of those forums. You noticed in this movie that one of the Moms put her boy on that diet (SCD) and saw some results but saw even greater results when her boy went LCHF/keto. The SCD did help many kids with autism. I love keto. I love not being hungry. I've been keto for almost 19 months and I'm still amazed at how satiated I am all the time. :)

One of the things I like about this forum is that folks here can post stuff like this and we'll usually see good, old-fashioned discussion on it for a while with studies and links provided along the way. Oh, and I second the recommendation of Dr. Fung and Dr. Bernstein. :)