Move More in May

Options

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Today my goals are to have no more than 2 cups of coffee and to do my physio exercises and stretches.

Being prepared makes such a difference! Nice job, Mihani.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Having that food prepped makes a big difference for me too in throwing something together when I am hungry.

Carla - power of suggestion...early evening I went to the YMCA to ride the spin bike for an hour. They have spin bikes and regular exercise bikes. I ride to a You Tube spin class on my phone. I had to go grocery shopping after and I was starving to the point of shaking and sweating (low blood sugar). I bought natural coconut/date balls ...nothing else added and that got me through...I had very little to eat all day and was not paying attention until I got off the bike. I need to learn to make my own.

Brooks and I swam this morning. It is my favorite exercise lately. It feels so good. I want to join a master swim class soon.

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Another long day, no secretary past two days so I've been answering phone and all that. I got into some pretzels today. Sigh. I can SO see stress and fatigue making me go off the rails. I have always known this, but I don't seem to have the power lately to ride it out. Anyway, tomorrow is another day! I'm still hovering around the weight I've been for weeks now, up and down a pound or two, but haven't lost anything since I finished my 6 week plan round. I need to get back to it and do it 100% again for 6 weeks. That will get me darn close if not at my previous low and I will have more clothes that fit. I've been indulging in a glass of wine or a couple beers here and there too, which always derails me.

How you doing on the coffee, Carla? That is one thing I haven't gone back to. I do have a couple cups of caffeinated tea in the mornings, but after that it is water, flavored sparkling water, or decaf tea. So happy to hear you enjoyed the class so much.

Donna, I get low blood sugar shakes too. There are a lot of good recipes for homemade lara bar type snacks on the 'net. I have saved a ton of them but haven't ever tried any. A lot of the sites with recipes say just make balls though, easier. I used to love to swim but I'm so freaked about bathing suits I haven't for years. I have seen the swim shorts though, and planning to buy some next summer so I can start swimming again. It's exercise that doesn't feel like exercise to me, it's more fun!

B - oatmeal with cinnamon, chia seeds, blueberries
    L - salad same as yesterday, watermelon
    D - collards, roasted sweet potato, broccoli
    S - pretzels, too many of them
  • bisky
    Options
    Oh Mihani, don't worry about getting in a bathing short or trunks. If you know how to swim and loved it go for it. I started last year, first time ever swimming laps. I was very obese and at my age I am starting to get that ugly baggy old age skin. I still have another 30-40 lbs to lose. It did help that a younger friend and my husband where supporting me. The people swimming lap lanes, they are too busy to stop and stare. I feel like people in a gym are always sizing everyone up. I have a good friend in Italy who has a bad hip, she is 62 and won't go swimming as she is a 100lbs + overweight. She can't walk or bike for exercise. She is stuck. In Northern Italy at the pool people mind their own business. It is free, beautiful clean indoor pool the USAF helped built and it is never busy during lunch.

I will look up the Lara bar recipes next week. Taking tomorrow off other than walking dogs to be ready for Saturday's ride.
    B - oatmeal and strawberries
    L - Salad
    D - sweet potatoes and black beans plus watermelon ...it is hot here and watermelon sounded refreshing.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Donna, for the cashew cookie lara bars, I do 1 cup of cashews to 1 cup of medjool dates. if you want them stickier like the lara bars so you don't have to roll them into balls, use more dates. The ingredients in the original coconut cream Larabars are dates, unsweetened coconut, almonds, cashews and coconut oil, so that's just a matter of playing with the ingredients. Instead of using coconut oil, I'd use coconut butter which is just coconut flesh blended up (it is super yummy if you haven't tried it..i've eaten it out of the jar with a spoon!!).

Mihani, you seem to never catch a break at work! Just when you are trying to get an actual weekend, you have to answer the phones and do reception work on top of it all. Aside from a few too many pretzels you are doing great! I failed big time on reducing my coffee intake. I ended up having 3 cups during the day and then went out with my fiber friends in the evening and had another one! Today I'll try to keep it down to 3!

Now that class is over, things should be calming down around here.We have a new menu for Monday and we're going to get the batch done so things are back on track. I finally started back on my physio exercises this morning. My back and hip were getting sore again so it was definitely time.

• Mihani
    Options
    Donna, I don't even own a swimsuit at this stage of my life so I'd have to buy one, and if I'm going to do that I'll go with the swim shorts and blousey swim top. I think they would definitely make me feel less self-conscious.The only swimsuit I still own is about 30 years old and a size 6, not even sure why it's still in the dresser lol. I still have one pair of jeans from those days too, and if I ever get into them again I'd be surprised, but I can't bear to part with them! Good luck on your ride tomorrow!!!

Carla, what's on the menu this week? I was looking at some of the meal delivery services, there's one that is plant based and you can also specify no oil and no sugar. It would be really cool, but it's only 6 dinners and like $109. That's $18 per meal... holy crap!!! There are quite a few plant-based services that are less expensive, but still a lot for my budget right now. And it's only the dinners, I'd still have to shop and deal with breakfast and lunch. Just seems a bit too indulgent for right now, but I may check into it again in the future. I've been meaning to try the Hello Nutritarian batch cooking plan, but it's just too much time when I'm working so much. Hope your back and hip are feeling better.

I left work around noon today (I get in between 7 and 7:30 a.m.), stopped and got stuff to make chickpea salad for dinner. Won't be quite ETL with the vegan mayo, but it is hot today and I was thinking how good it sounds to have that cold salad on warm bread. Figured since I was supposed to have today (not to mention the long weekend) off that I deserved to get out of there. At least I know I have Saturday and Sunday in there with nobody bugging me. Monday my boss will be coming in too, and hopefully I'll have a lot piled up for him to review/sign.
  • bisky
    Options
    LL Bean has some very cute shorts and swim tops...my message did not make sense. I meant to say don't worry about what others think...not the suit vs. the shorts. So sorry. Wish you all were closer and could come swim with me in San Antonio!

Making sweet potatoes, black beans and onion with lime juice and seasonings. We are going to a private swim club this evening for a military retirement party.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Stumbled across this site this morning: https://www.wholefoodplantbaseddiet.com/home/ Haven't explored it too much but looks like he writes a post about every day. Looking at the recipes it appears some are his and others are links, which are introducing me to some new WFPB recipe blogs.

Got a good night's sleep. Going to head to the office here shortly. Going to have one more lackadaisical day here then it's back to 6 week plan strict.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We have groceries in the house, and all of the wasted food in the fridge cleaned out (ugh! hate throwing stuff out). Yesterday I made a few of the sauces and cooked the rice. Not much, but it will be helpful to have those few things out of the way today.

Here's our menu for the week: BBQ sweet potato steaks with big crunch slaw, mac daddy burgers with corn on the cob, citrus celebration salad, spinach baked beans stack with classic broccoli raisin salad, and a bbq pineapple bowl.

In other news, our strawberries are starting to ripen! We are hovering anxiously LOL. It looks like we're going to have a huge crop this year. We have three of our raised beds stuffed full of plants and there are tons of berries.

I'm picking up some reference books at the library today to get started on my year-long at home study for the level 1 spinning class. I also bought some fleece online from a trusted source and scored a few of the rarer breeds from the UK and US. I'm hoping that my instructor hasn't seen/used one or both of the rare ones. I have to start working on spinning very consistent yarns because I always go for the art yarn with varied thickness and textured bits in it.

Here's one of the yarns I'm spinning for a personal project, not for class. I'm going to make it into a 2 ply that I'll post later. I am excited about this one because I dyed the fiber myself. I am looking forward to when I process the fleece from raw form, then dye, and then spin it! I'm a fiber nerd!

ufwpybm9benc.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Looks great Fiber Nerd!!! :p I had to throw out some things today too, but I'm all set for lettuce and greens for the week so it should be a good week. Your menu sounds tasty.

Spent about 6 hours in the office then brought work home so I can work here tomorrow. Tired of the office and taking a Monday out of there feels kind of like playing hooky even if it is a holiday. Plus my boss will be there tomorrow and I would rather have a day alone.

It is really hot and muggy and I hate this type of weather, especially with all the dandelion and cottonwood blowing around and aggravating my allergies.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Glad you're staying home today, Mihani! I hate hot and muggy too. I have the windows all open and I'm actually freezing cold! The high today is 19 C/66 F so I guess I can go ahead and close them.

Looking forward to being back on track, at least for the most part. I'm having a lot of headaches lately and I blame my bad eating habits. I'm still having too much coffee, but that isn't my biggest concern right now. Time to power through the first few tough days of no snacking after dinner. And no more trail mix for a snack! Back to a piece of fruit.

Working on my homework and struggling to figure out how to cite my sources properly in APA format. It has been a long time! I have the APA guide on request at the library and that should help a lot.
  • bisky
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Carla - that is amazing colors in that yarn. Have you thought about getting your own sheep? What breed has the best wool?

I am having a hard time snacking too. That bike tour was difficult and I had pizza (with vegetables and cheese) after plus a margarita. Last night a party...turned down the steak for beans but not the wine. Plus a fattening spinach dip. Have been up 2 lbs :(. I just want to eat simply today. Cleo and I had a long walk this morning, 4.5 miles and at the end it was up to 90* with 45% humidity. We bought the dogs a little hard plastic swim pool.

Dinner: vegetable kabobs on the grill (mushrooms, red pepper, onion and zucchini) plus vegetarian coleslaw and sweet potato fries (not fried, roasted).
  • Mihani
    Options
    I stayed home and worked, did some yard work, napped. That's the danger of working from home. Naps are tempting! I wish I had got a lot more done this weekend but I did what I could. Will be putting in some long days this week.

Totally off the rails past two days. Going to get back to very simple oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch, greens and beans for dinner.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Naps are totally allowed on weekends! Especially holiday weekends :) I have been off the rails for too long. I'm up almost 10 lbs! I'm hoping there's some water weight in there that I can get rid of over the next few days.

Good idea on the pool, Donna. We bought one for Ruby a few years back. Nice long walk. I don't know how you do it in weather like that!

The wool question is a big one. It really depends on what you want to do with the wool. For next-to-the-skin softness, Merino is considered the best. If you want something more durable, like for outer wear, you want a medium wool breed, and if you want something really tough, you want a long wool or primitive breed, but you wouldn't want that wool for clothing. Maybe for a bag/satchel, a net, stuff like that. Long wool is the kind that has beautiful long curly locks, so it is also used decoratively. We have thought about getting fiber animals, but really it is much cheaper and easier to buy fleece from someone else. If you buy by the fleece it isn't too pricey, and that way you can buy exactly the breed and quality you want. There are some super sweet animals out there though, so I do get tempted often!

I didn't snack yesterday after dinner, but I snacked a lot during the day. Our yam steaks and slaw turned out really good. I'm going to get back into walking during the week. If I go early in the morning I won't have any excuses!

• bisky
    Options
    Errr, big argument with older sister. She is trying to do ETL and starting a walking program...I started at 2 miles, she started at 3. She is so focused on protein and getting enough it drives me crazy. I can't talk to her anymore. We grew up thinking fruits, carrots, sweet potatoes were all high sugar bad food. Meanwhile my family would have 2-3 glasses of wine every night...much more sugar in that. I had to get over the sugar/fruit myth. Mihani you are the one who pointed out ETL recommends 4 fruits a day.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Carla, here's my show & tell...

I'm spinning this right now:
    AB9D089B-0844-4B0E-9B0E-5B3D1B8BE133_medium2.jpeg

And I finished this yarn at the beginning of the month:
    61EF86A0-7A70-4053-A5CC-A7B3F891B1C4_medium2.jpeg

I've gotten my eating a little more under control this week and I've also been outside walking with my zombies app. I've been starting with 4km every morning at 5; I started last Tuesday, so I'm feeling good about that...

Still no movement on the house, although a few more people are starting to come looking. Hopefully someone puts in an offer soon...
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Hi Karrie! The yarn you're working on is really consistent. Nice work! Love the other one too. Is the shiny ply silk or something else? 5 a.m workout! wow, good stuff!

Donna, that sounds annoying! Has she read any of the books? I would just suggest to her that she looks up what Dr. F. says about it and then let her do her own thing. Great news that she is trying ETL though!

Mihani, hope the boss isn't driving you too crazy with stuff now that he's back in the office.

I'm still having too much coffee, but I am doing better with food. I'm doing yoga stretches, my physio exercises, and some weeding and calling that a workout. Better than nothing. I'm going to to a local park for a walk tomorrow. The main improvement for me this week is what I'm eating for dinner. The food tastes better than the convenience foods we were eating and I missed all the veggies.

Here's a few of our flowers.

3rkmjz6z2d08.jpg
    iynat5ld9n1x.jpg
  • bisky
    Options
    Carla - those are beautiful pictures. Is that a Clematis...one healthy plant. We lost a lot of our cacti when it snowed in San Antonio.

Going to California on Saturday to visit a friend who lost her husband recently to colon cancer. She is taking me up to Lake Tahoe for 3 days to hike. Another good friend of ours will be up there too. It will nice to get away from the heat here in San Antonio. She is korean and eats a ton of vegetables and fruits.

I am loving the date rolls more than chocolate!

Big salad today of lettuce, cabbage mix, roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, sun flower seeds and onion. Out of Avocado. Going to make hummus and snap peas for dinner tonight along with a salad.

• Mihani
    Options
    Sorry to hear still no offers on the house Karrie. Nice yarns!

Pretty flowers Carla. I know what you mean about fresh homemade tasting better than convenience foods. I used to really like the Amy's stuff, but the last few times I've had them I've thought they were really meh. I don't know if they changed or my tastes have changed.

At least your sister is open to thinking about ETL, Donna. When you say she is focused on protein do you mean she thinks protein has to be meat? Salad sounds good.

I am feeling really run down the past few days. It has been hot with air quality warnings and I think that's part of it. Getting a little rain tonight maybe that will help. Doing better with getting back to nothing but whole foods, but still letting a few snacky/convenience things slip through.

• bisky
    Options
    It is just an ongoing talk with my sister. She has this list of bad foods (fruits, corn, potatoes and carrots) and she is open but her focus is always on protein. I have a lot of resentment that I need to let go off. When I was a teenager and 5'4, 120 lbs...she and my mother went on Atkins diet (it was very strict back then)...she convinced me I was too heavy and needed to do this diet with them and I developed weird thoughts about good food/bad food. I have tried vegetarian diets before and she has always been negative about them. When she brought it up again I overly reacted. She has tried ETL for about 3 weeks now (after I did the Rookie Tri) and complained about feeling weak, etc, etc. She says she things she is getting too much sugar from oatmeal and fruit... I was not nice and I am not proud of this but I pointed out there is much more sugar in alcohol with no fiber, vitamins or micronutrients. I should have been kinder and more patient but we have had this discussion before. She was eating 800 calories a day and no wonder she was weak. I have never given up eggs or fish during my weight loss. I don't have them every day but I have avoided meat, cheese and chicken as they are high in saturated fats. Her blood work showed she had high cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides. She is not diabetic and no healthy reason to not eat fruit.