Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Agreed! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Oh man, good weekend for Meaty May considering it's one of the 2 national grilling holidays!!!

XgCyWll.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I grilled up some chicken thighs yesterday and have a couple left to finish today. I'm traveling for a week starting Tues. and the only things I can't/won't put in the freezer are eggs and the leftover chicken thighs. One of the benefits of having no produce is that using the freezer is as easy as just wrapping in freezer paper or a freezer bag. For produce, it seems like there is so much more work to properly prepare for freezing... and then it is ruined anyway.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Having a carnivore salad at Five Guys ... on our way to Costco for a meat stock-up. :)

qivatuu47o2o.jpg
  • kirkor
    Options
    Well, after dinner tonight we'll be at the end of Meaty May!

I missed broccoli quite a bit so I'll definitely be bringing that back in to the rotation, assuming I don't have any funky reaction.

Anyone that was new to this WOE this month planning to keep going 100% carnivore?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I'll be a 95% carnivore. I like how I feel eating no plants but I kept coffee and some coconut cream. I also want the option of an occasional treat like fresh berries or just picked peas.

I don't know if it will be forever, but I'll stick (mostly) with it for next few months.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Have to share this one of me and my son goofing around on our trip.

Not looking for any arm compliments here ~ lol. The point of sharing this one is to show how much I've leaned out, with zero effort to do so. When this happens, I carry any remaining fat in my lower half. I know, my arms look skinny ~ and some people may even think they look gross. I'm cool with that. :)

sbu145s3le1t.jpeg

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    My husband and I jokingly look at my arms and say: "Skeletor" because of that very thing. Damn pear-shape.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @cricketpower your hands look exactly like mine - no extra flesh - all the vascularity and joint definition, lol.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Oooh I WANT a bicep vein. That would be so "mom cool". And my boys would be jealous. ;) I do carry weight in my arms. Even when slim I could fly with my bat flaps! LOL

• cricketpower
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Oooh I WANT a bicep vein. That would be so "mom cool". And my boys would be jealous. ;) I do carry weight in my arms. Even when slim I could fly with my bat flaps! LOL

Lol. Don't get me wrong. I love my veins. ;)

But they only used to come out due to weightlifting. Now they're out due to carnivore.

• kirkor
    Options
    Lol. Don't get me wrong. I love my veins. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGiBl49I6aY&t=15s
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Bringing this conversation up one more time, for something I've been wanting to do. For the visual folks who like charts ~ here are my results of once/week fasted tracking ~ for what ended up being 8 straight weeks of carnivore eating.

A few notes:

1) I ate a keto diet for two weeks before switching to carnivore. I wasn't measuring glucose during that time, but I measured ketones at the end of week 1: 0.2 and week 2: 0.7

2) I did not set out to lose fat, but as you can see from my pics ~ I did lose fat. I think I reached a point where my body said enough is enough and my hunger did increase. However, I filled that void with more meat & seafood. Toward the end, I got a little more brave and allowed more spices, and sugar in bacon ~ and probably more cheese here and there ~ but at no point was I just straight up adding carbs or "cheats". So I feel this is a realistic picture of what MY body did with a carnivore diet ... and I cut off the results when I know I was intentionally having things beyond meat & seafood.

(FWIW ~ my ketones actually went UP a little bit in the next week's measurement, but so did my FBG.)

3) I never did manage to completely cut coffee. I drank it black, as always ~ and I tried to cut back in total ounces ~ but it was still very much a part of my daily life.

---

In conclusion ~ and reflecting back, now that I have messed around with plant foods again:

This was possibly the best experiment I have done with my food in my entire 39 years of life. The benefits are too many to count.

I had a spot on a tooth that had been bothering me for years completely heal itself (!) and now it never hurts, ever.

I've managed to get my body on a good circadian rhythm ~ I get up and watch the sunrise every day, and I don't eat after dark. I go to bed after dark... as humans are meant to do.

It was the catalyst for change in almost every area of my life. That may sound dramatic ~ but it's true. If you are consuming things daily that do not make you feel well, if you are living in a state of anxiety or fog all the time ~ and you remove those things that are making you feel that way ... the sky's the limit.

THANKS to all who have been here & contributed to this thread. I value each and every one of you. And best wishes on your journey ahead. :)

9769zfdyqmpa.png

ba1rd06l1kfq.png
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Bringing this conversation up one more time, for something I've been wanting to do. For the visual folks who like charts ~ here are my results of once/week fasted tracking ~ for what ended up being 8 straight weeks of carnivore eating.

[ . . . ]

This was possibly the best experiment I have done with my food in my entire 39 years of life. The benefits are too many to count.

I know I have been almost nonexistent around here, through this whole thing. I am one of the longest running carnivores around here (if not the longest running one). When I started, I barely mentioned it to anyone. I was worried about what people would think. It was just too insane. This was long before there was anyone doing it publicly. But, the benefits were just too great. Eventually, I couldn't help but talk about it. And, other people got interested. Other people wanted to try. Many of them found they had crazy benefits from it as well.

I believe that it's the right way to eat for everyone, but I'll concede that I "could" be wrong about that. I wish everyone would give it a real shot, like you did. You will never know what benefits you might find until you do it.

I'm glad your results were so awesome.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Thank you @FIT_Goat ~ I know you are a busy guy. :)

I think I got some plant experimenting out of my system, and I'm back at it today. I am going to start a new journal in the carnivore section. I've learned A LOT since I first started. Feel like a different person.
  • nvmomketo
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I really enjoyed your updates too. It was inspiring to me.

It was a good challenge for me too. I've done it before but this time it feels like it is sticking better.

I added back some plants/carbs a few times and it led to a few BM problems and some bloating, which quite surprised me because I did not have many problems before when I was just keto.

My weight loss completely stalled on the scale too, which I attribute to bloating because I'm still eating with a deficit.

I was thinking I was carnivore 80% of my meals, and plants played a small role when I did eat them, but I think I'll go back to about 95% carnivore - have plants maybe 1/20 meals or so rather than every 5th or 6th meal.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's microbiome is different, I'm sure some are optimized for a carnivore diet and have much less of the microbes needed for plant digestion, and of course, vice-versa.