Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Here's a link showing Dr. Eric Westman's (Obesity Clinic, Duke University) list of foods to eat on a ketogenic diet. As Dr. Westman says in his videos, "If it's not on page 4, don't eat it". The link is "Page 4" (and 5):
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5564bef0e4b02c810ff236ad/t/5a9355f2e2c483bcb2b6cef0/1519605234635/Casey's+Keto+Food+List.pdf
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    Options
    Im less hungry, very little cravings, the afternoon munchy habit is gone. My daughter (16) is also down 30 lbs. which makes me very happy. She's gained self esteem and confidence. Keto on!
    @loserlee123 That is so heartwarming!

• Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I find Valter Longo's research fascinating. If anything would cause me to lean towards fasting, it would be his research. I'd probably have to do it more often than his recommendations though. I'm pretty far from "vegan and a little fish". ;) My diet (at this time) includes vegetables, fish, a couple dairy products for protein, some meat, very occasional fruit (other than berries) and maybe a bit of grains or legumes every now and then. I don't eat keto. I do eat LCHF.

Will you be following the rest of his plan the other 25 days of the months or are you just using his ProLon for the fasting part of the diet? Was the food good?

I wasn't using ProLon food actually, but I have an FMD group here on MFP and others say it is fine. My husband was so into fasting but I couldn't do it, so he found FMD for us to both try together. So I did the research, looked at his numbers, did the research on Ketosis, and basically follow the calorie restrictions of 6 calories per lb of weight on Day 1 and 4 calories per lb of weight on days 2-5. Then I do a 70-15-15 Macro ratio, which is what my MFP macros are set at all the time. Hubby says this is way better than normal fasting for him and he has lost more and kept it off doing FMD than just a plain old fast.

As for following his plan the rest of the month, it seems like there isn't really a plan unless I read it wrong. It seems to me it is just eat what you want. That won't work for me or I would gain everything back. So I am doing Low Carb more than Keto, I guess, but I have seen that there are different opinions on what Keto macros really are. Anyways, either way my nutritionist is pretty adamant that I don't drop my carbs too low outside of my FMD days because she wants me to get 25 gms of fiber daily. My dairy is available for friends to see, so if you want, just friend me and you can check it out. I have been trying to be really good about logging every day. Occasionally I do get lazy though, especially on my high carb days, which I do allow myself to have once a week.
  • kpk54
    Options
    @Uneeknitter I don't think his daily longevity diet is "just eat what you want" unless what you want excludes animal products except for a little fish and occasional goat cheese. His daily diet (to me) is basically vegan + a little bit of fish based on his book, The Longevity Diet and this website.

https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/

I'd parallel it to a Mediterranean Diet more than anything. Vegetables, whole grains, olive oil daily and fish or maybe white meat 2 or 3 days a week. Legumes being a primary source of protein.

That's what I was actually curious about-if you were perhaps managing vegan or pescatarian keto. His protein recommendations are low but that doesn't bother me. I'd get a few extra grams since I'm about to hit 65. :)
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 I see what you mean...just visited that site. The Fasting Mimicking Diet is a separate piece from the longevity diet. I just read another piece that said with FMD you just go back to healthy eating between FMD which they recommend 5 days on and 25 days off. I don't know anything about the Longevity Diet though. Sorry. :disappointed:
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    skctilidie wrote: »
    @skctilidie you're not the 1st to indicate that upping carbs helped with weight loss. I don't have a scientific reason for that but will suggest that perhaps keeping under 20 was just too much stress perhaps raising cortisol which can deter weight loss. Dunno.

I know for myself raising carbs from 20 to 50 just made things easier and overall more pleasant with a higher variety of foods. Neither had an impact on weight loss since all my keto experience has been at maintenance.

@loserlee123 that is awesome about you daughter's increased confidence/self esteem. It is important for all and particularly awesome/important for a 16 year old. <3

That’s interesting! Mine still haven’t been consistently over 20 and I don't think i was finding it stressful to stay under, but who knows. In my case, this last week and a half I’ve just indulged kids who were begging to go out for rolled ice cream twice and have had a bit of fun with the silly Snickers bar selfies that are
    the thing on the chit chat forum’s selfie threads. Some days have been 15-20 net carbs and some have been more like 40-50.
    I’m currently losing without feeling hungry/wanting to eat more than an average of 1300 calories or so and not having any cravings, so I guess I’ll keep being relaxed about it and see what happens. If progress stops, I can always get more strict again, right?

I think that was internally stressful on the body and liver in ways we can't quantify without constant tests, not on your compliance. When blood sugar drops below a certain point, the body panics and dumps glycogen from the liver. In some people, this process is barely noticed, in others they feel it all, and some are in the middle... So that is stressful, and it releases cortisol, etc...

I suppose so. Dunno. My "stress" was just from looking at a nice collection of green beans, cucumbers, bell peppers or tomatoes fresh from the garden and thinking, "Really? I can't eat these"? :)

Who is telling you they you can't eat these things? I would go a bit easy on the tomatoes but if it's green it's on the list in my book. Peas are a bit high. Avoid the starchy stuff, i.e., potatoes, and most root vegetables and you should be fine.
  • timstepanski4959
    timstepanski4959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting over...again. Lost 75 pounds on the medically controlled HMR diet. Came off of that and put 50 back on. Started day one with a bike ride. Wasn’t fast, wasn’t far, but it was nice to move again. 250 today. Goal of 200 but more importantly, the ability to make better food choices.
  • kpk54
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @skctilidie you're not the 1st to indicate that upping carbs helped with weight loss. I don't have a scientific reason for that but will suggest that perhaps keeping under 20 was just too much stress perhaps raising cortisol which can deter weight loss. Dunno.

I know for myself raising carbs from 20 to 50 just made things easier and overall more pleasant with a higher variety of foods. Neither had an impact on weight loss since all my keto experience has been at maintenance.

@loserlee123 that is awesome about you daughter's increased confidence/self esteem. It is important for all and particularly awesome/important for a 16 year old. <3

That’s interesting! Mine still haven’t been consistently over 20 and I don't think i was finding it stressful to stay under, but who knows. In my case, this last week and a half I’ve just indulged kids who were begging to go out for rolled ice cream twice and have had a bit of fun with the silly Snickers bar selfies that are
    the thing on the chit chat forum’s selfie threads. Some days have been 15-20 net carbs and some have been more like 40-50.
    I’m currently losing without feeling hungry/wanting to eat more than an average of 1300 calories or so and not having any cravings, so I guess I’ll keep being relaxed about it and see what happens. If progress stops, I can always get more strict again, right?

I think that was internally stressful on the body and liver in ways we can't quantify without constant tests, not on your compliance. When blood sugar drops below a certain point, the body panics and dumps glycogen from the liver. In some people, this process is barely noticed, in others they feel it all, and some are in the middle... So that is stressful, and it releases cortisol, etc...

I suppose so. Dunno. My "stress" was just from looking at a nice collection of green beans, cucumbers, bell peppers or tomatoes fresh from the garden and thinking, "Really? I can't eat these"? :)

Who is telling you they you can't eat these things? I would go a bit easy on the tomatoes but if it's green it's on the list in my book. Peas are a bit high. Avoid the starchy stuff, i.e., potatoes, and most root vegetables and you should be fine.

I'll respond (because I don't want to ignore) by saying I'm fine and I eat vegetables. Perhaps I eat more vegetables and a larger variety of vegetables than many reading the forum. Dunno. I have been here a long time. I lost my excess weight a long time ago. A ketogenic diet was not a part of my weight loss. Weight loss was via low carb. Ketogenic has been a part of my ease in maintenance for the last 2 of 4 years. I am a fan of both ketogenic and very low carb/high fat. My hunger and my cravings are (mostly) under control thanks to keto an LCHF.

Those familiar with the general gist my weight loss and maintenance history perhaps got the "gist" of my post. Perhaps not...I did say "I can't eat those?". I apologize if I lead anyone to think that one cannot eat vegetables on a ketogenic diet. Leafy greens and above ground vegetables are encouraged (in limited amounts) on most ketogenic diets. Certainly many some folks do not eat as many vegetables as they may individually prefer to eat when they have a primary focus of limiting carbohydrates since vegetables are a carbohydrate. My choice of carbohydrates in my LCHF WOE includes many vegetables. I choose to stay within my personal carb parameters by not eating the "sweet crap" (cakes, cookies, ice cream, brownies, etc) I over ate years ago when I was gaining weight. Vegetables have never been my "problem food". I do understand vegetables can be problematic even in small amounts for some. Like diabetics, for example.

I favor your way of eating ketogenic that includes vegetables. I eat them too. Vegetables are now my "preferred carb" (versus candy bars) and I am looking forward to the vegetables ripening in my garden.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 What you have described fits me almost perfectly. I'm close to maintenance and using LCHF for "ease in maintenance" (perfect description, thank you). I'm using the Keto model to reduce carbs and increase proper fats and salt. I love vegetables and don't eat red meat or dairy, so I didn't think I'd hit Keto, but did (accidentally).

It's a rebound from the low calorie, low fat WOE model (which does not! work for me).

BTW, my slender husband is my opposite. I get carb addictions and metabolize fats well. He metabolizes carbs just fine, but if he eats too much red meat/dairy his cholesterol goes through the roof.
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I'll respond (because I don't want to ignore) by saying I'm fine and I eat vegetables. Perhaps I eat more vegetables and a larger variety of vegetables than many reading the forum. Dunno. I have been here a long time. I lost my excess weight a long time ago. A ketogenic diet was not a part of my weight loss. Weight loss was via low carb. Ketogenic has been a part of my ease in maintenance for the last 2 of 4 years. I am a fan of both ketogenic and very low carb/high fat. My hunger and my cravings are (mostly) under control thanks to keto an LCHF.

Those familiar with the general gist my weight loss and maintenance history perhaps got the "gist" of my post. Perhaps not...I did say "I can't eat those?". I apologize if I lead anyone to think that one cannot eat vegetables on a ketogenic diet. Leafy greens and above ground vegetables are encouraged (in limited amounts) on most ketogenic diets. Certainly many some folks do not eat as many vegetables as they may individually prefer to eat when they have a primary focus of limiting carbohydrates since vegetables are a carbohydrate. My choice of carbohydrates in my LCHF WOE includes many vegetables. I choose to stay within my personal carb parameters by not eating the "sweet crap" (cakes, cookies, ice cream, brownies, etc) I over ate years ago when I was gaining weight. Vegetables have never been my "problem food". I do understand vegetables can be problematic even in small amounts for some. Like diabetics, for example.

I favor your way of eating ketogenic that includes vegetables. I eat them too. Vegetables are now my "preferred carb" (versus candy bars) and I am looking forward to the vegetables ripening in my garden.

@kpk54 I apologize if I misunderstood you or took something the wrong way. Thank you for explaining! I did not mean to sound dogmatic and judgmental.
  • narm1267
    narm1267 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and on day 3 of my keto journey. So far I'm loving it but now I'm waiting for the dreaded keto flu to knock me down a keg or two! lol
  • kpk54
    Options
    narm1267 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and on day 3 of my keto journey. So far I'm loving it but now I'm waiting for the dreaded keto flu to knock me down a keg or two! lol

Keto flu is totally avoidable. It is an electrolyte imbalance. If you have no medical reason to not increase sodium UP YOUR SALT INTAKE. The most frequently recommended amount is 3000-5000 mg per day. Drink salty boullion, make a salty drink with Mio or just have a half teaspoon or so from your palm (or a spoon) and wash it down with something liquid.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    narm1267 wrote: »

Yes, @kpk54 is right! The Keto flu is a real thing, but it is absolutely avoidable. Keep your electrolytes up (sodium, magnesium and potassium) and you will be able to steer clear of it!
    If you are eating a normal diet, that much sodium would be a bad thing, but as long as you are eating very low carb (which is naturally diuretic), your body will need more sodium. (some would say as much as 7000mg per day if you are sticking to your low carb numbers and especially if you are exercising)

Magnesium: 300-500mg and Potassium: 1000-3500 (through potassium rich food) When I have heeded this, I've had absolutely no flu-like symptoms. If I do, it's because I have gotten off track!
  • kpk54
    Options
    That shirt is getting pretty roomy! @xDaniDragonflyx
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I don't normally post pictures of myself, ever, unless they're just of my face at a certain angle... but I'm seriously excited about this one! Because I can finally SEE the progress I'm making!

hmce5ew4dh4i.jpg

^_^

That’s great progress!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I don't normally post pictures of myself, ever, unless they're just of my face at a certain angle... but I'm seriously excited about this one! Because I can finally SEE the progress I'm making!

hmce5ew4dh4i.jpg

^_^

Wow! Yes. Progress is evident. Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.