Introduce Yourself!

Replies

• ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    I have been fasting the last few years. No weight loss, but it does give me more energy.

I am wondering if other women with pcos have luck with IF
  • AzaleaGirl
    AzaleaGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Hello! I have been doing 16:8 fasting for about 3 weeks. I am following very low carb as well about 3 days a week (30-40 gms/day) and eating moderately the other days (2 meals a day) staying within my calorie deficit. I have not weighed in yet. I am 64, female, and have over 50lbs to lose. I have lost 65 lbs and have kept it off for the last 4 years by counting calories. This is no longer working for me. I have been stalled for quite a while. I tried the 5:2 diet for several months and that produced some very slow weight loss for me. Probably a good maintenance program for me actually.

I cannot do much exercise do to severe back pain while standing.

Wondering if there are any other mature ladies out there that this plan of eating has worked well for.
  • LeeshaSeal
    LeeshaSeal Posts: 61 Member
    Hello! I started out with 16:8 2 weeks ago but found it wasn't clean fasting. I now switched to black coffee and 18:6 this week.
  • Inspire2019
    Inspire2019 Posts: 6 Member
    I just started last night. The first day went incredibly well. I'm doing 16:8 5-6 days a week and 23:1 1 to 2 days a week. I am doing this primarily for weight loss but also as a lifestyle change to benefit my heart health.

I am looking for supportive friends who don't mind checking my diary and kicking my butt if I'm not doing what it necessary to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I also try to eat vegetarian at least 2 out of 3 meals a day.
  • datgnat
    datgnat Posts: 14 Member
    Scott here. A few months shy of 63, fasting for about a year (18/4, OMAD, 2-5 days occasionally, just keep changing it up). I was 262 on August 15, 2017, creeping towards being pre-diabetic, diagnosed with a malignant tumor in my throat (so far so good), and decided after stumbling upon Dr. Jason Fong on the internet, that it was time for a radical change. Blood sugar is far more normal now, I'm exercising a lot more (we moved to Guanajuato, Mexico in May; it's at 6600 ft elevation, and there's a lot of up and down walking in my daily routine). I still have 30-40 pounds to go, and am quite certain I'll get there. When I'm eating I favor LCHF, but on feasting days I'm not above a few tortillas or a margarita.
    Today I'm three days into a fast, and playing with the idea of one more full day, but there's a Tbone steak in the fridge that's calling to me. Fasting has been a wonderful discovery, and a great tool that's given me a lot of hope in the last year. It was the extra step that took LCHF eating to the next level. It was not terribly difficult for me to get started, and it's only gotten easier as I've progressed. I don't stick to a fixed regimen, and on those few occasions when I don't feel 'just right', I have no qualms about ending a longer (or even a shorter) fast. It's not a race. I came to MFP long before I started fasting, back when I was just counting carbs, and now because I eat less frequently and dine out quite a bit (my wife and I can go out for dinner here, tip generously on 12-15 dollars US), I don't really use the food diary. Anyway, that's my story so far. Have a great day, folks!oamktuimj4er.png
  • thebomb4043
    thebomb4043 Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hello Ive been IF for about 2months off and on but consistently at a rate of about 3-4days a week. (16:8). I am trying to do it everyday, depending on new information i read.

My Question is: Does IF lower Basal Metabolic Rate?
  • Hi all!

My name is Scott, and I can never stick to my IF plan 16:8. I always start off great, and then just fall off the wagon. I'm thinking that maybe I can get some insight and motivation from some of you folks out there.

So how long this time, one day so far! Here we go!

Feel free to friend me on MFP as well!

Thanks!
  • Clhumpal
    Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
    Hi all :) almost through my first week of 16:8 - planning to stick to it every day, as much as possible - I've been reading through the information on idmprogram.com - it's a LOT to take in, but evidence-based, and interesting :)
  • ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi all!

My name is Scott, and I can never stick to my IF plan 16:8. I always start off great, and then just fall off the wagon. I'm thinking that maybe I can get some insight and motivation from some of you folks out there.

So how long this time, one day so far! Here we go!

Feel free to friend me on MFP as well!

Thanks!

When I first started I only did 12-13 hours fasting.

Sometimes you have to build up your residence.
  • Kokodaready2020
    Kokodaready2020 Posts: 28 Member
    Hi everyone, Just joined this group, I do OMAD (one meal a day) and Keto, and have done so for about 3 months. I have lost 10 kg with another 15 to go. My long term goal is the Kokoda trail 2020 for Anzac Day.
  • myrtissmith
    myrtissmith Posts: 8 Member
    Hi. I've been doing IF (16:8) since September. With the exception of the holidays if found it easier to stick to than any other "diet".

I'm curious if anyone has made this their permanent way of eating? I see myself doing this long term but I don't know if there are any downsides of that.

Thanks
  • Hi! Just joined this group and have just recently decided to try out i.f. I've been battling binge eating and food addiction for years and I'm ready for all of that to stop!!!! Anyone have tips for a total beginner?
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Hi! My name is Leslie and I've been fasting now for two weeks. I'm using the BodyFast app. Right now I'm doing 16:8 with my fast starting at 8pm. I'm really good with the fast... no bloating, no headaches, losing weight. But I need to work on preparing that first meal for after my fast. I tend to gorge if I don't.

I'm not doing any specific diet. But I'm watching my carbs and fried foods. And I'm drinking over 100 oz of water a day.

As for workouts, I'm doing Les Mills Pump (weights) and Les Mills Combat (cardio). Instead of following the schedules that came with those programs, i'm only working out about four times a week.

SW: 250, Jan 1
    CW: 238, Mar 1
    GW: 135
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Hi. I've been doing IF (16:8) since September. With the exception of the holidays if found it easier to stick to than any other "diet".

I'm curious if anyone has made this their permanent way of eating? I see myself doing this long term but I don't know if there are any downsides of that.

Thanks

Hello I plan to make this a way lf life if at all possible. 👌 The good thing about it....it costs nothing to fast. But Im sure SOMEONE will try to monetize intermittent fasting soon. I do the Lean Gains method...16:8 for about 3 weeks and lost 10 pounds
  • lleeann2001
    Hi! My name is Leslie and I've been fasting now for two weeks. I'm using the BodyFast app. Right now I'm doing 16:8 with my fast starting at 8pm. I'm really good with the fast... no bloating, no headaches, losing weight. But I need to work on preparing that first meal for after my fast. I tend to gorge if I don't.

I'm not doing any specific diet. But I'm watching my carbs and fried foods. And I'm drinking over 100 oz of water a day.

As for workouts, I'm doing Les Mills Pump (weights) and Les Mills Combat (cardio). Instead of following the schedules that came with those programs, i'm only working out about four times a week.

SW: 250, Jan 1
    CW: 238, Mar 1
    GW: 135

Four times a week is great!. One thing though...a lot of people stall when they work out...not because you are not losing fat but because you are gaining.muscle. And muscle weighs more than fat....I feel silly sayi g this. Im sure you are aware. I feel like a lecturer sometimes. 😬
  • lleeann2001
    Oh and guess how many times a week I work out. I work out a total of 0 times a week. So you are doing excellent..👌
  • Dalia444
    Dalia444 Posts: 512 Member
    Hi, just started IF yesterday after reading Eat Stop Eat. 24 hr fast two days a week. Doing mostly for WeightLoss and any added health benefits.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Hi, I had lost over 60 pounds from 2012 to 2014 but family issues,health,work etc got me out of the game and I've gained a lot back. Now, I want to get back in shape but not just with Workouts (cause I reach Plateau pretty fast) so I've discovered IF.
    I started IF 16:8 (Feb 27th) and I feel AMAZING! it's very easy for me. With my schedule I need to eat late so my eating window is 2pm-10pm.
    I pushed it to 17:7 couple times too...not a problem.
    I love the fact that I'm seeing result already and I feel so much better.

Question: Is it good to stay on 16:8 forever or going back to 14:10, 12:12 is better in the long run?
  • chelseakom
    chelseakom Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all, I started IF I guess maybe 6 weeks or so ago, starting out with 16:8, and have recently been able to push to several 20+ hour fasts per week. I'm also restricting calories with MFP and working out hard about 6 days a week. Not going to lie, the first two weeks of fasted workouts sucked, but I am SO HOOKED on fasted workouts now - it's like my energy is constant and non ending. I can lift heavier, run farther, all at the very tail end of a long fast. I was especially interested in what I've read about IF's effect on PCOS. My body stores a very unusually high proportion of its fat right over the gut and weights sort of "look heavier" on me because of that. I've lost weight with the combo of calorie restriction/IF/workouts but the fat storage pattern hasn't changed - hoping it will over time. BUT I have noticed a major change in that my body wakes up naturally around 6:45 am when it used to do so around 9 am and this is my question - in reading about IF and PCOS I heard that the ovaries will actually shrink and the adrenals will become bigger and "dominant" - so I'm wondering if the early wakeup time is my body finally making enough cortisol now that adrenal glands are starting to kick back in to normal working order? I feel so alert now and before it was like my brain was always partly asleep.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have been doing IF for almost 10 months. I added to IF to LCHF whole foods diet w only moderate to light meat consumption. IF was really just a tweak for me, since I have not been a breakfast eater in decades. I had to move dinner up sooner, which means I do not eat with my husband on weekdays. He typically eats at 8p. I do try to join him on weekends.

I was not losing weight on LCHF, so I tried IF 20:4 and some 28h to 36h fasts. I had some short term wt loss. I tried cutting my calories from 1200kc/day to 800kc/day. After 15mos of LCHF I was 12lbs heavier. TIME FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

AS OF MARCH 25: I am doing a recalibration too. 15 mos of LCHF--> 12 pound weight gain. More worrisome was that my kidneys were sending me signals that they could not handle the fat--water retention in my feet began being a thing a few months ago!

Still keeping starchy carbs (grains and food made w grains) low, but I am doubling down on vegetables. This rises my overall carb count, even if I substract fiber for net carbs. net-Carb target is 90-120g/day. Protein is the same 45-60g/day. Fat has been cut to a third of what it was at 20g-30g/day w a more specific target to keep saturated fats below 12g/day.

This means that my diet looks a lot like my vegan Daughter's meals. I won't do vegan cheese. If I want cheese, I will have the real dairy product--but I have to plan for it to stay below my saturated fat target. I have taken the cream out of my coffee and substituting w homemade oat milk. I want to use my saturated fat grams in a real meal.

I don't have a sweet tooth. I am good with fiber. I have learned where I need to add salt to meet recommended minimums. I do intermittent fasting, IF, 18:6 weekdays (2 meals between noon and 6p). Weekends are 16:8 on account my husband like to eat supper late.

I exercise a minimum of 20 minutes a day. Although my target is 40min I have not been good about staying on track with that.

AS OF APRIL 25: I lost 4 pounds. I need these kinds of results for at least 6 months before I know whether this recalibration is working.