Ad Libitum August '18

Replies

• CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Yes.... I am in for August! This seems to fall in line with several changes I am aiming to make. Also, I have scheduled some blood work for the beginning of September-- interested in seeing the results.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    @PaulaKro , thank you , yes doctors want me to do the bariatic surgery , and I won't , but i need surgery on my leg and my neck , that I have to lose all this weight before they will do it . The low carb works for me . I already have so much scar tissue on my stomach and problems , that bypass or sleeve or any of those things would put me in danger .

Way to go on losing the 175 pounds . That is amazing no matter how you did it .Thank you for your kind words .
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    @FIT_Goat I'd like to try this but will have to wait for September. I have a couple trips in August that may be too much of an obstacle. This all does make sense to me and I think I have the courage to trust myself. I've maintained my losses for almost 2 years after joining this group in 2016 but I still have more to go.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    You can try it in your own time. I think trips provide a great motivation to do it. Do you really want to pull out a food scale on a trip? Can you make low carb work without a nutrition label and while eating out and around strange food? How good are you are making low carb choices that fit your goals?

Of course, I have less trouble than most when it comes to staying on track. It's really obvious which foods fit my plan (is it meat? then it probably is ok).

If you want to do it in September and still want your numbers included, we can make sure to add them as you go.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I'm in. Making a run to the meat market to stock up. Wife is "on her own" for a month.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I am definitely in, I’ve been toying with trying zero carb again as it’s so much better for my health, this might help me get back into it and maybe even help reset my thinking a bit so I can stick with it this time. I’ve been eating at maintenance calories for a while and while my weight has remained stable, which is a huge victory for me, the carbs have been creeping in along with my old thought habits and I’m not happy with that as it causes awful digestive problems for me.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    I'm ALL about this way of keto. I did CICO for the first 11 months of my keto journey and I hit a wall with weight loss, started losing hair like I was in chemo again, brittle nails, tired/no energy, loss of muscle mass, etc. Since November 2017 I've significantly increased my calories, reduced my protein and increased my fat and ATE all my fat. I stopped buying into the fat as a lever. I've lost about 10 pounds since increasing my calories and not really eating at a deficit.

Here's another great resource on why calories in calories out is not what it's cut out to be:

http://commonsenseketogenics.com/why-cico-calories-in-calories-out-isnt-true-and-why-insulin-glucagon-control-weight/

If someone is like me and has to know their numbers here's a great way to figure how much you need:

http://commonsenseketogenics.com/what-is-tdee-how-to-figure-it-out-and-what-is-the-point/
  • FIT_Goat
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm in. Making a run to the meat market to stock up. Wife is "on her own" for a month.

You've still got a week before the official start, but it's never too soon to stock up on delicious meat.
    I am definitely in, I’ve been toying with trying zero carb again as it’s so much better for my health, this might help me get back into it and maybe even help reset my thinking a bit so I can stick with it this time. I’ve been eating at maintenance calories for a while and while my weight has remained stable, which is a huge victory for me, the carbs have been creeping in along with my old thought habits and I’m not happy with that as it causes awful digestive problems for me.

Awesome. Zerocarb does make it really easy to hit your carb goal without counting. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. About the only thing I need to watch is cheese. I ate a pound of cheese yesterday--I am serious when I say that I eat whatever I want--and the scale bounced up today. It will go back down, soon enough.
  • FIT_Goat
    tifano wrote: »
    I'm ALL about this way of keto. I did CICO for the first 11 months of my keto journey and I hit a wall with weight loss, started losing hair like I was in chemo again, brittle nails, tired/no energy, loss of muscle mass, etc. Since November 2017 I've significantly increased my calories, reduced my protein and increased my fat and ATE all my fat. I stopped buying into the fat as a lever. I've lost about 10 pounds since increasing my calories and not really eating at a deficit.

Here's another great resource on why calories in calories out is not what it's cut out to be:

http://commonsenseketogenics.com/why-cico-calories-in-calories-out-isnt-true-and-why-insulin-glucagon-control-weight/

If someone is like me and has to know their numbers here's a great way to figure how much you need:

http://commonsenseketogenics.com/what-is-tdee-how-to-figure-it-out-and-what-is-the-point/

It really is amazing when your body finally jumps on board with the weight loss, because you're no longer fighting with it against what it needs.
  • Shoop69
    Shoop69 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm sold! Inspired to start today. I'm 3 weeks in and its been a real eye opener to log my food to see how many carbs I'm eating - but sure enough, I soon became obsessed with calorie intake too. and protein. I spent hours trying to figure out how to meet my macros.. as a result, my food options became rather narrow and I am constantly on the diary site trying to figure out good combinations.

I am SO over that! Particularly because I had no intent to become so obsessed. I just wanted to do LCHF. But man.. there are so many discussions that sway and influence one to rethink... it made my diet (err.. my intended new lifestyle) so darn complicated.

So sign me up! I have mountains to lose, so one month wont make a difference in the bigger scheme of things :) Unless it works - then it'll be the best. thing. ever.

• tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2018

This was enough to convince me.

I had a concern though. In general, a good deal of protein is recommended to preserve muscle. Does that apply here? The article recommends a lot less than I eat. I do think it's worthwhile to keep in mind if so.

Edit: As it applies outside of this challenge mostly -- since for this challenge macros don't exist.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Oh! And do we watch net, or total??
  • FIT_Goat
    tayusuki wrote: »

I had a concern though. In general, a good deal of protein is recommended to preserve muscle. Does that apply here? The article recommends a lot less than I eat. I do think it's worthwhile to keep in mind if so.

Edit: As it applies outside of this challenge mostly -- since for this challenge macros don't exist.

Protein is good, and you should eat it at every meal. In general, when you eat real foods, you will get enough protein. It's definitely something to at least be aware of. The third thing I ask, when people aren't losing weight like this (after have you reduced your carbs? and have you cut artificial sweeteners?) is "are you eating enough protein?" It is satiating and it also plays into your body's desires. If you're not getting enough of a nutrient, you will be hungry.

I only eat meat, so protein is easy for me to hit. That's not a requirement or goal for this. The meat-only (also called carnivore or zerocarb) thing is a whole different beast. You should probably build your meals and snacks around a protein source. But, I don't even say that you need to. In the original challenge, people were told to keep doing what they had been doing and just watch carbs and nothing else.
    Oh! And do we watch net, or total??

Net carbs are permitted. I do encourage you to count sugar-alcohol carbs (either as towards your goal or separately just for information). They tend to throw people off, so having an idea of how much you're eating or counting them against your daily goal helps.

If you normally go by total, you can continue to do so. Another part of this is finding where you need to keep your carbs that works for your body. It's different for everyone. And, you should count those in a manner that works best for you.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Ok, willing to try for August and not wait until September. I do count total carbs already and only look at calories if I've not had enough (which usually means I didn't log properly anyway).
    Pretty good at judging what won't work without a label and am lucky in that I'm not terrible sensitive sugar alcohols. I do try to eat on the whole food side normally. My vacation trip meals are already planned so no worries there. My business trip should be fine for breakfast and dinner. I'll just have to be prepared to leave the hotel for lunch on my own if what they are serving is off limits.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • tifano

I eat around 55-60 grams of protein a day. On days I lift I might take it up to 70 just depending on how I feel. The founder of Common Sense Keto has been doing this way of Keto for over 10 years and he's a CrossFit Coach/Athlete. He's shredded and not losing muscle by eating less protein. I think his max protein a day is around 80
  • tifano
    Shoop69 wrote: »
    I'm sold! Inspired to start today. I'm 3 weeks in and its been a real eye opener to log my food to see how many carbs I'm eating - but sure enough, I soon became obsessed with calorie intake too. and protein. I spent hours trying to figure out how to meet my macros.. as a result, my food options became rather narrow and I am constantly on the diary site trying to figure out good combinations.

I am SO over that! Particularly because I had no intent to become so obsessed. I just wanted to do LCHF. But man.. there are so many discussions that sway and influence one to rethink... it made my diet (err.. my intended new lifestyle) so darn complicated.

So sign me up! I have mountains to lose, so one month wont make a difference in the bigger scheme of things :) Unless it works - then it'll be the best. thing. ever.

Yea this makes me so happy to read especially when the other day you wanted to stay between 1200-1300 calories!!!!
  • FIT_Goat
    I eat around 55-60 grams of protein a day. On days I lift I might take it up to 70 just depending on how I feel. The founder of Common Sense Keto has been doing this way of Keto for over 10 years and he's a CrossFit Coach/Athlete. He's shredded and not losing muscle by eating less protein. I think his max protein a day is around 80

Protein is outside the scope of this challenge, but we'e had tons of discussions on why low protein tends to be significantly worse than too much. Too much protein is almost harmless, too little is a major long-term issue. I did google him to see what his advice is, and I hate to say that I just don't agree. There is almost no one who has "too much protein" as a negative issues that is hindering their ketogenic diet (outside of those who are on a therapeutic diet and absolutely must keep blood ketone levels sky high).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Protein is outside the scope of this challenge, but we'e had tons of discussions on why low protein tends to be significantly worse than too much. Too much protein is almost harmless, too little is a major long-term issue. I did google him to see what his advice is, and I hate to say that I just don't agree. There is almost no one who has "too much protein" as a negative issues that is hindering their ketogenic diet (outside of those who are on a therapeutic diet and absolutely must keep blood ketone levels sky high).

I was going to chime in here as well, because I routinely eat 60-70 grams of protein with EACH meal and have no problem maintaining ketosis, weight loss and more importantly to me, muscle mass.
  • Shoop69
    Shoop69 Posts: 48 Member
    Yea this makes me so happy to read especially when the other day you wanted to stay between 1200-1300 calories!!!!

Yeah - I dont know what I was thinking - counting everything started making me go mad! haha :)

I know this trial begins 1 August, but I celebrated my freedom starting today. Ate like I felt and my carbs still didnt rise over 20g. I totally ignored all other macros.

The last 3 weeks of CICO approach, if nothing else, has really shown me how many carbs I used to eat. I now have a much better understanding of where my carbs are coming from and what to avoid.

I'm still gonna log every day, just so I can come back see the whole picture later.

• FIT_Goat
    Shoop69 wrote: »

Yeah - I dont know what I was thinking - counting everything started making me go mad! haha :)

I know this trial begins 1 August, but I celebrated my freedom starting today. Ate like I felt and my carbs still didnt rise over 20g. I totally ignored all other macros.

The last 3 weeks of CICO approach, if nothing else, has really shown me how many carbs I used to eat. I now have a much better understanding of where my carbs are coming from and what to avoid.

I'm still gonna log every day, just so I can come back see the whole picture later.

That is awesome to hear. You have no idea. Logging is still good, I logged for a while, after I gave up the conscious restriction. Then I got to the point where I would log a week, just to see what was going on (not to try and manipulate the numbers). And, now, I don't know the last time I logged. It is so freeing to trust your body. It's unrelated, but I was once asked what the benefits of being zerocarb (carnivore) were for me. Part of my response is below:
    The biggest change is probably mental. [. . .] I have learned to trust my body. I don’t know if many here will understand how deep that really is. My whole adult-life, I had been constantly betrayed by my body when I didn’t strictly monitor what I ate and my activity level. When I ate because I was hungry, I got fatter. I would know I was eating too much, but I couldn’t stop myself. I knew my body was wrong.

Now, I can trust my body is right. If I am hungry, I eat. I don’t worry if it’s 5,000 calories in a day (and sometimes it is). I know my body is asking because it needs it. If I am not hungry, I don’t worry about it. I know I don’t need it. If I am feeling like going out for a walk or a run, I do. If I am feeling like sitting in the yard and enjoying the sun without moving except to reach for my iced coffee, I do that instead. No guilt about being lazy. No concern about getting fat and losing my muscle.

Now, these days, I do a bit more physical activity and have a goal for a certain amount every day. That's unrelated to weight loss or worry about being fat. It's more about strength and physical ability to engage in specific activities that I enjoy.