Stiffness

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tumeric can come in capsules. :) It was suggested to me for something else. I have not been consistent with it to know if it helps.
    My hubby likes to cook with it: fried eggs; Would be good in rice too.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Falling on the ice in the driveway doesn't help with stiffness. Just had that experience. It was easier to recover when I was younger...
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Falling on the ice in the driveway doesn't help with stiffness. Just had that experience. It was easier to recover when I was younger...

Hope your injuries are limited to the stiffness. :)
  • RodaRose
    Options

Yikes! Sending good healing vibes. <3

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advise. B3achy I will implement your suggestions. As for the Turmeric how do u take it?
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I’ve signed up with a personal trainer to see if that helps. I keep u all posted
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Hope your injuries are limited to the stiffness. :)
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    Learning the parachute landing fall years ago continues to serve me well.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I add turmeric to my smoothies. Powdered.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

How much do you add? A teaspoon? A tablespoon?

Thank you.

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Turmeric / Curcumin does help - The absorption is poor , you need the take it with black pepper and fat. I eat my morning eggs then the curcumin. - Eastcoast Jim
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I just take capsules of turmeric, haven't tried to cook with it yet.
  • somrok
    somrok Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a gentleman in line at Costco and he was buying Tumeric and Curcumin altogether in one formula and he said it really helps his arthritic knees.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Curcumin is a chemical contained within Turmeric.
    It can interfere with blood clotting -- in other words, check for med interaction with any
    supplement/s.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Here is a google scholar entry on Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398.2015.1077195
    Curcumin is known recently to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer effects and, thanks to these effects, to have an important role in prevention and treatment of various illnesses ranging notably from cancer to autoimmune, neurological, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetic.

And a second one
    http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/ArticleFullRecord.jsp?cn=SPOOBG_2014_v43n4_612
    Thus, the findings of the study suggest that turmeric extract is effective against both acute and chronic inflammation.

From The University Arizona College of Medicine:
    Turmeric for Inflammation: How Much is Enough?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxV6jowuJ4
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough for stiffness I have started giving my horse Devil's Claw. Based on a farrier recommendation. It appears to help. Or at least I have noticed that since I started he has been lifting his hind feel more easily. That's the experience the farrier has shared also. They make it for humans as well. ;)
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    My right knee has been bothering me for about a week and a half since i stepped in a hole in a client's yard and wrenched it slightly. Didn't think much about it at the time, but it has begun bothering me more and more each day, particularly while driving.

It's a general ache but with localized pain about the size of a quarter on the inside (medial) just about at the top of the shin bone (Tibia). Last couple of days it has been feeling a bit unstable with pops, catches, and a little grinding (gravel on the knee sort of thing).

Call the doc yesterday morning around 10 and was able to get an 11:30 slot that same day due to a cancellation (providence?). Doc says most likely a tear to the medial meniscus but would need an MRI to confirm.

A meniscus tear can't be fixed by surgery as cartilage does not grow back, but they can trim off the rough areas of the tear (like trimming a hangnail) to smooth up the works orthoscopically (microsurgery).

Since I can't be off work during our busy season, I asked about a cortisone shot to put off the whole issue a couple of months. He said that a shot might do that and reluctantly agreed.

Knee is feeling better this morning. I'm to let him know in about 10 days if the pain comes back so he can schedule a MRI.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I am doing PT for my knees now. I may be able to push off replacement for more than the 3 years the surgeon estimated. I must lose weight, obviously, and move as much as possible. I have a decent anti inflammatory and my PT is going very well. But if I sit too long, I do end up feeling like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz and need oiling up! I try to not sit more than 60 minutes at a go. The fish oil supplement sounds like a good idea.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options

How much do you add? A teaspoon? A tablespoon?

Thank you.

I add very little but I imagine you could increase it slowly. I don't think it has much taste in my smoothie but when I'd add it to rice, it really made the flavor sing.

• ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I recommend before throwing every supplement and vitamin in the book (or out of it in some cases) at it, have a good checkup/physical, including a blood test for arthritis (RA).

Mine started with unexplained foot pain in the morning, and morning stiffness is a classic symptom. You can get it much younger than I thought was possible- I thought you didnt get it till like 60 or something, but its actually common in women starting around 30. (I was only 38)
    Let a professional rule out any specific type of condition (including thyroid problems as was mentioned) - and dont just go by "*poke* *prod* you seem fine to me", ask for tests to find the cause, bodies dont just get painful and stiff for no reason, and its not just "getting older".

If they cant find any after due diligence (remember there is always be a reason for pain and it isnt some mystical missing ingredient), feel free to throw whatever bottled weeds and vitamins and so forth you like at it, but be aware most of the websites and gurus promoting a lot of them are more interested in emptying your wallet* than admitting the truth about their anecdotal "findings". [*Especially for "detoxes", thats what your liver does for you, and if it isnt working you need emergency help, not a bottle of goop that make you poo. The only thing they empty is your bank account. If your gp thinks you need a detox, Id look for a real doctor.]
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I am doing PT for my knees now. I may be able to push off replacement for more than the 3 years the surgeon estimated. I must lose weight, obviously, and move as much as possible. I have a decent anti inflammatory and my PT is going very well. But if I sit too long, I do end up feeling like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz and need oiling up! I try to not sit more than 60 minutes at a go. The fish oil supplement sounds like a good idea.

I did some algae recruiting a few years ago when it was all the rage and supposed to take over as the next biofuel (yeah, right...). Well, anyway, I was talking to a lot of scientists at that time that were REALLY excited about Astaxanthin, which is a Carotenoid (a red algae derivative), way more powerful than beta-carotene, lutein and Zeaxanthin. You hear about it more these days, but I still think it's way underrated. There have been a few studies lately about how much, in conjunction/combination with Fish Oil, how well it works for joint pain, especially back pain. You hear about Krill Oil all the time. All Krill Oil is comprised of is Fish Oil and a tiny bit of Astaxanthin (naturally occurring). It's actually much stronger effect if you take Fish Oil along with a separate Astaxanthin supplement (don't need much, like 4mg a day). I do this every day and don't have many joint pains at all and I train pretty hard.

Here's one study (though sponsored by FlexPro) that studies Astaxanthin, Fish Oil and Hyaluronic Acid. There are a lot more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5312594/

There's a reason why you're seeing Astaxanthin in so many women's serums. It also reduces oxidative stress.

I also have great luck with Tart Red Cherry Extract and Turmeric.

A lot of the newest research indicates that keeping your fiber up to the RDA also helps tremendously with inflammation. There are certain bacteria in your "microbiome" that only grow/develop when you eat more fiber and polyphenols. One, in particular exciting a lot of scientists currently, is Akkermansia, now thought to be key in controlling inflammation.

Ocean Spray actually sponsored a study that demonstrated cranberries increased the amount of Akkermansia bacteria in your microbiome, so eat your tart cherries and berries!!