Ad Libitum August '18

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    A common strategy is to just log foods that have carbs. That way to can keep track of the carb count easier.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    al4374 wrote: »
    Anyone else want to share their strategies for this challenge? Are u not tracking anything at all? Only carbs? Logging? Not logging?

xxkyn0gmdmyf.jpg

Meat & complex carbs
    fats for taste :)
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I’m actually debating with myself whether to keep tracking or not. It will be interesting to see exactly what I eat if I’m not trying to hit a calorie goal but I don’t know if still seeing that number on the screen might affect whether I eat or not.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat - I joined the group this morning, but did not seem like the request went through? Please let me know if the request is not there. Want to make sure I am in for Aug. 1st :smile: Thanks!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I am very intrigued by this and think that I'm going to give it a go. I was already considering doing my own "Zero Carb Challenge" for August, so think that I might do so in conjunction with this. I do currently track my calories and try to ensure that I remain in a deficit, so this is probably going to be tough for me. But I figure, if I'm only eating meat and eggs and maybe some goat's milk dairy, that maybe I won't feel the need to track. I've got to admit. The concept of not tracking scares me. I find that when I don't track, it's easy for me to go off of the rails. I'm going to do my best. I really need to get this weight off.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    @FIT_Goat - I joined the group this morning, but did not seem like the request went through? Please let me know if the request is not there. Want to make sure I am in for Aug. 1st :smile: Thanks!

I don't see it. I am going to send an invite. Maybe that will work.
    I’m actually debating with myself whether to keep tracking or not. It will be interesting to see exactly what I eat if I’m not trying to hit a calorie goal but I don’t know if still seeing that number on the screen might affect whether I eat or not.

I had a fairly long response to this, but then I hit "Done" on the top of the app and not the "post reply" or whatever it is under the post. That erases the whole post. I do that more often than I like to admit. The short answer is that tracking everything is fine, as long as your calorie count doesn't impact the type or amount of food that you would eat.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I don't see it. I am going to send an invite. Maybe that will work.

I had a fairly long response to this, but then I hit "Done" on the top of the app and not the "post reply" or whatever it is under the post. That erases the whole post. I do that more often than I like to admit. The short answer is that tracking everything is fine, as long as your calorie count doesn't impact the type or amount of food that you would eat.

Shame we lost that reply! Thanks, thinking of one of two approaches, Number 1 is to temporarily change my calorie goal really low or really high so that when I see it I know it’s not an actual goal number and will be reminded that it’s not my focus right now. Number 2 is to just not record anything until I’m ready for bed, that might actually work as I’m planning on sticking to meat eggs and dairy so not a lot to remember there!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'll join this too. I'm really lazy about logging so I won't need to change much. :D

For me, this works when carbs are low to zero. I let my carbs creep up this past year and regained some of my lost weight. This summer, I've cut carbs and have been losing again without worrying about calories or not eating when hungry. I'm a believer. ;)

I'm another going for zero carb. I'm just weaning myself off of stevia and protein powder in my coffees. I really am that lazy - I tend to treat those as a small meal's worth of calories or energy rather than cooking breakfast or lunch.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    :/
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    tifano wrote: »
    I eat around 55-60 grams of protein a day. On days I lift I might take it up to 70 just depending on how I feel. The founder of Common Sense Keto has been doing this way of Keto for over 10 years and he's a CrossFit Coach/Athlete. He's shredded and not losing muscle by eating less protein. I think his max protein a day is around 80

Protein is outside the scope of this challenge, but we'e had tons of discussions on why low protein tends to be significantly worse than too much. Too much protein is almost harmless, too little is a major long-term issue. I did google him to see what his advice is, and I hate to say that I just don't agree. There is almost no one who has "too much protein" as a negative issues that is hindering their ketogenic diet (outside of those who are on a therapeutic diet and absolutely must keep blood ketone levels sky high).

I was going to chime in here as well, because I routinely eat 60-70 grams of protein with EACH meal and have no problem maintaining ketosis, weight loss and more importantly to me, muscle mass.

Yeah, 60 feels low to me. I realize people who recommend .8 g/km of IDEAL weight eat roughly that much. I have seen what higher protein alone with no other dietary changes can do for someone, so this whole thing has been extremely confusing. I personally try to average 95g. I remember reading that during weight loss the higher amount supposedly hinders insulin resistance healing -- but I wonder how true that is, I'd only seen a single study on it.

The 60g of protein is what he eats at each meal. ;) If he eats three meals a day, that's about 180g of protein in a day. Probably closer to 1 g per pound body weight. Probably at the top of the moderate protein range.

I've seen a few people who have said they need to keep protein to moderate, or the low side of moderate for their IR. I don't think it is the norm though.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'll join this too. I'm really lazy about logging so I won't need to change much. :D

For me, this works when carbs are low to zero. I let my carbs creep up this past year and regained some of my lost weight. This summer, I've cut carbs and have been losing again without worrying about calories or not eating when hungry. I'm a believer. ;)

I'm another going for zero carb. I'm just weaning myself off of stevia and protein powder in my coffees. I really am that lazy - I tend to treat those as a small meal's worth of calories or energy rather than cooking breakfast or lunch.

I had carb creep over the past year, too. Ugh. I've toyed with the idea of going close to zero carb for a while but may instead keep it to something simple like (up to 3 servings/day of non-starchy vegetables) and maybe cut back artificial sweeteners to 1/day, then maybe 1-2/wk.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I had carb creep over the past year, too. Ugh. I've toyed with the idea of going close to zero carb for a while but may instead keep it to something simple like (up to 3 servings/day of non-starchy vegetables) and maybe cut back artificial sweeteners to 1/day, then maybe 1-2/wk.

Annoying isn't it?! ;) I wish I could just hit that magic weight and stay there without effort. I almost think losing is a simpler mind game than maintaining. I find it harder to stay vigilant to stay where I want than it is to achieve what I want. If that makes sense.

But I still think starting is the hardest mind game. Something about that is always the most daunting to me me.
  • macchiatto
    Options

Annoying isn't it?! ;) I wish I could just hit that magic weight and stay there without effort. I almost think losing is a simpler mind game than maintaining. I find it harder to stay vigilant to stay where I want than it is to achieve what I want. If that makes sense.

But I still think starting is the hardest mind game. Something about that is always the most daunting to me me.

I agree! One of these days I'll get maintenance figured out. ;) I miss being able to wear the smaller clothes in my wardrobe!
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2018
    Options

I agree! One of these days I'll get maintenance figured out. ;) I miss being able to wear the smaller clothes in my wardrobe!

I hear you!

I got rid of two sizes worth of fat clothes when I lost weight a few years ago. I actually had to go and buy a pair of shorts this spring because what I had left was too small. That's what prompted me to get losing again. I can thankfully now wear the shorts that were too loose a year ago, although they aren't loose anymore. LOL hopefully I'll be back into all of my 10s and 8s again before next year.

And then I need to ignore figure out maintenance again. Better this time. ;)

Edited to fix autocorrect wrongness.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @nvmomketo I'm trying to get back into my 8's and some 10's, too. I ended up being thankful this summer that I'd saved two pairs of size 12 shorts. I was a bit shocked that gaining 10 lbs had me going up *two* sizes in shorts (the 12's are a tad loose but I tried on a bunch of 10 shorts at Target and they were too tight!) but at least I didn't have to blow all my money. I really thought I'd lose the weight by the end of this summer, but I'm nowhere near.

And yes, I'm not entirely sure what "ignore out maintenance" was supposed to be but hopefully you and I will both rock maintenance this time around!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Argh, dumb autocorrect. So sorry about that. I should have double checked. I meant figure out, and not ignore out. LOL :D
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Haha, that makes more sense! Autocorrect gets me often.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    We start tomorrow. Everyone should make sure they weigh in tomorrow morning. If someone started early, that's fine. When you do your check-in, just let me know what your start date was. You'll be checking in early (every 7 days) compared to the rest of us, but I can make it work.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I just asked to join as well. I’ve gotten really good at logging and checking calories and feel like I need a break from it. I think I’ll struggle initially but want to give it a go.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm going to track foods simply to make sure I eat enough. But I'm going to ignore calories as long as there are at least 900.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm interested 😊