• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod
    August Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Last week: 183.5
    Current: 179.8

I have mixed feelings about this. I keep my protein reasonably high (about 110+g/day) and keep increasing the weights and intensity in my hiit and strength workouts in order to preserve muscle mass, but my Fitbit Aria scale says my 12.5 lb weight loss this month is almost entirely lean mass, not fat mass. I know these home BIA scales are notoriously inaccurate, but my lean mass had been stable the two months prior to this, so the sudden drop has me feeling a little grumpy. WTF Aria?

In another two weeks I should be able to get an InBody analysis again, and hopefully it shows skeletal muscle mass has not decreased as much as the Aria's nebulous "lean mass" report.
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Username: bootssowhite
    Weigh in Week: August Week 1
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 313.8
    Today's Weight: 311.6

This is actually my highest weight in a few days, probably because I went out to eat last night. The irony is I'm actually really proud about how I ate last night. I picked one of the healthier options, stopped eating when I was full and then didn't continue to nibble just because it was in front of me. I also decided I would rather have an appetizer (which I also only ate part of) than dessert, and then actually stuck with that decision in the face of a bakery full of cake. And most importantly, I exercised some restrain and control and still felt satisfied. I'm not discouraged and I know my weight will drop back down in a day or two, but I still made a face at the scale this morning.
  • biblebabe588
    biblebabe588 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @LeslckaBod You actually can buy zoodles and Califlower already rice style in the frozen section where the veggies are. Or you can make your own.

• korimak0
    korimak0 Posts: 249 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Username: korimak0
    Previous Weight: 175.2 (79.5kg)
    Today's Weight: 174.7 (79.25kg)
    Note: I got my conversions wrong when I signed up, could someone fix my starting weight on the spreadsheet? Thanks!

Not sure what happened this week, I thought I was going well. Stuck with my eating plan except for one day I went a little off track. And I went to the gym four times. Maybe I'm gaining muscle haha. Or maybe this is just because I lost 4 lbs last week. Either way, nothing but to keep at it, right?
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    sara41164 wrote: »
    That leads me to my next question. What type of lifestyle change or diet is everyone doing? Counting calories or carbs, Beachbody, Atkins, Keto, etc.........? What works best for you?

Counting calories. I've lost weight before, only to gain it all back (plus some), so I know for me, whatever I do has to be something I'm content to do forever. I'm trying to really focus on the behaviors that cause me to be overweight as well as the foods that cause me to be overweight and I'm trying to correct some of the more problematic ones, which has mostly meant trying to break the habit of snacking constantly.

Cait
  • biblebabe588
    Options
    Today has been one of my harder days to really stay the course on food. I really want to eat the junk food so bad. I just want to eat pizza, cheese, pancakes.. etc.... anything that is high in calories. My body has retained water the last couple of day do to high weather. I will stick the course today i will be going 30 min workout and eating a healthy meal. I am trying to loose five pound in two weeks time. :):D
  • sara41164
    sara41164 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    User ID: Sara41164
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Last week: 155.3 lbs
    Today: 153.6 lbs

• eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @LesIckaBod I buy it as a blend at my local grocery store from the frozen aisle. I'm certain it's probably easy to make at home, but I'm all about super fast, convenient cooking (haha so I'm a lazy cook).

I like regular Riced cauliflower too (when dressed or combined with something--alone is meh to me) but the texture isn't quite as pleasing to me for some reason.

I also cook it way longer than the package usually says to in order to get it closer to the consistency I want.

Also...preserving muscle isn't my area of expertise but maybe your calories are a bit too low to be preserving lean mass? I vote don't worry at all until the real report comes in and then do research if necessary :)
  • eevang
    Options
    Username: bootssowhite
    Previous Weight: 313.8
    Today's Weight: 311.6

This is actually my highest weight in a few days, probably because I went out to eat last night. The irony is I'm actually really proud about how I ate last night. I picked one of the healthier options, stopped eating when I was full and then didn't continue to nibble just because it was in front of me. I also decided I would rather have an appetizer (which I also only ate part of) than dessert, and then actually stuck with that decision in the face of a bakery full of cake. And most importantly, I exercised some restrain and control and still felt satisfied. I'm not discouraged and I know my weight will drop back down in a day or two, but I still made a face at the scale this morning.

Good for you! You really exercised impressive willpower. I always gain a little from eating out (no matter how healthy) bc the increased sodium content.

You are doing awesome work!
  • eevang
    edited July 2018
    Options
    korimak0 wrote: »
    Username: korimak0
    Previous Weight: 175.2 (79.5kg)
    Today's Weight: 174.7 (79.25kg)
    Note: I got my conversions wrong when I signed up, could someone fix my starting weight on the spreadsheet? Thanks!

Not sure what happened this week, I thought I was going well. Stuck with my eating plan except for one day I went a little off track. And I went to the gym four times. Maybe I'm gaining muscle haha. Or maybe this is just because I lost 4 lbs last week. Either way, nothing but to keep at it, right?

I think it's definitely from the exercise, and it sounds like good things are coming your way. Keep it up!
  • eevang
    Options
    That leads me to my next question. What type of lifestyle change or diet is everyone doing? Counting calories or carbs, Beachbody, Atkins, Keto, etc.........? What works best for you?

Counting calories. I've lost weight before, only to gain it all back (plus some), so I know for me, whatever I do has to be something I'm content to do forever. I'm trying to really focus on the behaviors that cause me to be overweight as well as the foods that cause me to be overweight and I'm trying to correct some of the more problematic ones, which has mostly meant trying to break the habit of snacking constantly.

Cait

I love how you are focusing on behavior! It took me a long time to acknowledge my need to modify behaviors. I'm getting better, I think.

Today at Trader Joe's I was staring at some cupcakes. I hadn't had this kind since college (3 years ago). Omg cupcakes. 340 calories each. I could eat one a day if I went to the gym, right?

No. Not right. Bc there is no way I'd stop at one. I have terrible impulse control with sweets but worse with baked goods. I've learned ways to set myself up for success, and it's all about minimizing tests to my willpower.

• eevang
    Options
    Today has been one of my harder days to really stay the course on food. I really want to eat the junk food so bad. I just want to eat pizza, cheese, pancakes.. etc.... anything that is high in calories. My body has retained water the last couple of day do to high weather. I will stick the course today i will be going 30 min workout and eating a healthy meal. I am trying to loose five pound in two weeks time. :):D

Hang in there! You're doing great.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to keep working towards your goal--pace is less important than making sure you are always headed in the right direction. You've got this!
  • cheeso1
    cheeso1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    cheeso1 wrote: »
    What date is first weigh in please

@cheeso1 Your weigh in day is Monday, so your first weigh in is Monday 7/30.

Do I put my weigh in here or do I put it some where else
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I've eaten Mediterranean all my life because I'm from Turkey😊 On 6/11, i adjusted my macros to 65% fat, 20% protein, 15% carbs. So it was keto-ish. This week, I'll try to bump fat to 70%, and decrease carbs to 10% and fully try keto. But i love veggies and I'm not a big fan of pork products or red meat. Soooo... to get enough fat, i rely on avocados, nuts, seeds, olives, and fried eggs😋

I try to eat 1,200 cals. 7 hrs of sleep, 12 cups of water, and no snacking definitely makes weight loss super easy.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have to say I'm not mad. But I'm not happy either. Still at 382. I'm logging everything. I'm under maintenance and I'm active. It's not like I'm small and this is the norm. The pounds should be flying off. Ugh
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a horrible day. Woke up to a headache due to my allergies. Then i ate all the wrong foods. My family brought pizza home for dinner and they hate it if I don’t eat the same stuff as them. I ate less pizza than I normally would so it’s a plus. But I’m picking myself back up today and moving past yesterday 👌🏻
  • biblebabe588
    Options
    @grebber1 u might want to just change ur routine with maybe the exercise or maybe the type of food. My body hit a plateo last week then i tried something else and finally it went back. Except i decided to eat the pancakes ov weekend and gain some of it back. But that might help u get ur system back up and running.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    July 30
    Exercised?: No. Walked 3km in hills in 24 mins.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

This makes pass day #3 for the month. (but still in circle). All pass days this month are activity related. My no-activity day still includes 2x40 push ups, 10 chin ups and 90s plank, so not completely sedentary, just not 20 mins worth.

Working in own city, but 90 mins drive from home (120 mins by public transport). Interstate almost has less commute time. Was only just past dawn when leaving for work and past dusk when returning home.

Really dislike driving long distances, cross town, at night in peak hour (stop start traffic most of the way).

July 31
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in hills in 42 mins at lunch.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

At same client again today, but managed to go for a decent walk (in the wind) at lunch.

Interstate tomorrow (so early flight).

Daughter home from music camp. She had a good time.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for July 31 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Hello team Gutbusters.

I will be your coach again for this month (when I can). My role here is to help motivate, encourage.

I am also moderator for the TBL challenge (but Ashley ( @AB0215. ) has been doing most of the heavy lifting recently with my work commitments being insane). I rely heavily on the support of the team captains to make this successful as it is too much for one person to do alone.

At this stage team Gutbusters does not have a captain. Please PM me (@craigo3145.) if you feel you could fulfil this role. A team captain's primary role is to also help motivate and encourage the team. A team captain's secondary role is to enter weekly weigh-in data into the competition spreadsheet. Should be about 15mins per day.

As coach, I am running an optional mini-challenge within the Gutbusters team again this month.

Now an introduction:

I am a happily married 50yo father of one. I live in Melbourne Australia. I am passionate about helping people. Late August last year I passed my minimum goal weight (70kg - down from 91.5kg) and am now trying to maintain without bouncing back too far. I achieved the reduction in 4 months (so 40+ lbs in 4 months).

As I am now actively trying to NOT lose weight. At BMI 20.4 and less than 8% body fat, it would be crazy (if not dangerous) for me to try lose more weight.

(Why would someone not losing weight want to help run a weight loss challenge? Because it helps so many people and I feel I have so much to share. I learned so much losing weight that I seems a shame to not have it benefit others.).

About the mini-challenge.

First and foremost is that participation in this challenge is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. (If you take the attitude that "this is not what I signed up for", that is up to you).

I used the principles of this challenge to win July (6.29% - down 10.8 lbs) and August (6.44% - down 10.4 lbs). Following this challenge does work.

The challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (ultimate accountability challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.
    1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories on MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).
    End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognised in the thread as being part of the weekly "winners circle".

Using this strategy of consistent tracking and minimal exercise I have set a lifestyle plan that should keep me in my target weight range. (has for the last month :) )

I liked this strategy as:
    • No dietary restrictions. (fine for vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, paleo, carnivore, etc...)
    • Works with whatever strategy you may want to follow. (keto, 5:2, 16:8, atkins, etc..).
    • You set your own daily budget (MFP helps with this).
    • You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10mile run).
    • Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    • Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work.

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

You will find out more from me as the weeks go on. I have done A LOT of research into weight loss, diets, health and strength. I will happily share what I have learned with the group.

My commitment to this group is to post my daily results for this accountability tracking (and help out where I can).

I also post a daily strength challenge.

The daily strength challenge is additional to the 20 mins exercise in the mini-challenge. It is designed to:
    • build lean muscle (not bulk).
    • be quick (5 mins).
    • use no equipment (bodyweight only) and minimal space.
    • no impact so gentle on joints.
    • cycle through arms, legs and core with enough recovery time to get best results.
    Building lean muscle is one of the best ways to lose weight as lean muscle burns energy while at rest (sleep and lose weight :) ).

So a belated welcome August Gutbusters.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    What date is first weigh in please

@cheeso1 Your weigh in day is Monday, so your first weigh in is Monday 7/30.

Do I put my weigh in here or do I put it some where else

@cheeso1 Just post it here.
This discussion has been closed.