TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Like I said before I was doing some research on keto and how it works. Then I started looking at my diet. I'm completely going in the wrong direction. When I started trying to change my life style a few weeks ago I thought I was doing a good thing by eating Lean Cuisine and other brands like that for lunch. The calories was great and to be honest most of the food is pretty good. Problem is at the end of the day carbs are like 2 thirds of my diet. Sodium is higher than I like as well but still not bad.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm eating better then I usually would but I think it may be time to stop buying the frozen foods that's "healthy" and start making my own. I'm not having any problem with calories now but I seem to have forgotten about everything else that's in the food.
    I dunno. What do you guys think?
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    July 30
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: No
    Tracked: Yes

I don't eat back exercise calories, and I try to be generous and overestimate calories when I'm not home and can't measure or don't know the measurement of something. If you're new, it helps to spend some time at home playing with your measuring cups and a food scale if you have one, just so you can get used to estimating quantities when you need to.

My calories were over my daily allowance yesterday. I keep a spreadsheet with my daily calories, daily weight, and some columns to calculate 3-week and 2-week average TDEE. Since I planned to go over calories yesterday, I've been keeping an eye that my calories were lower the previous couple of days, and I'll keep watching the remainder of the week as well.

I pay attention to what I eat at each meal, each day, but I'm playing the long game here.

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    Yesterday was a horrible day. Woke up to a headache due to my allergies. Then i ate all the wrong foods. My family brought pizza home for dinner and they hate it if I don’t eat the same stuff as them. I ate less pizza than I normally would so it’s a plus. But I’m picking myself back up today and moving past yesterday 👌🏻

@rawxamberx I've been through some days like you describe here, especially with the family bringing home pizza. I've been able to convince my husband to just take our boys out with him and go to the restaurant without me rather than bring home pizza. I like hanging out with my family, so it's kind of a bummer not to go with them, but on the other hand, this mama doesn't mind a bonus hour to watch some netflix by herself while eating her chicken breasts and veggies.

Do you think you can convince your family that it would be a treat for you to get some solo time at home alone if they feel the need to go get pizza?
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    Like I said before I was doing some research on keto and how it works. Then I started looking at my diet. I'm completely going in the wrong direction. When I started trying to change my life style a few weeks ago I thought I was doing a good thing by eating Lean Cuisine and other brands like that for lunch. The calories was great and to be honest most of the food is pretty good. Problem is at the end of the day carbs are like 2 thirds of my diet. Sodium is higher than I like as well but still not bad.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm eating better then I usually would but I think it may be time to stop buying the frozen foods that's "healthy" and start making my own. I'm not having any problem with calories now but I seem to have forgotten about everything else that's in the food.

@grebber1 I think you've absolutely made the right realization, and this could be a big turning point for you. Whether you actually follow the keto diet or not, learning how to cook lean proteins and vegetables for yourself will go a tremendous distance to allowing you to lose weight and develop a sustainable healthy lifestyle.

Hurray for you! I really think this is great news that you've had this insight!
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @grebber1 I personally find homemade food much more satisfying than the frozen meals. They usually over sauce things, or the sauce is too sweet for my tastes. I'm also typically really lazy with cooking and meal prep, so I try to cook something in the crock pot on Sunday's, and then make enough portions to last for lunches for the week. My favorite thing to do is a chicken/vegetable soup or turkey chili.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Westray16
    Weigh in Monday
    Weigh in week 1
    Previous weight 196lbs
    Weight now 195lbs
  • biblebabe588
    biblebabe588 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement this week. I have officially am back on the game again. i ate a cheese stick last night and it seem that is what my body need. I research when i was craving things what my body was telling me and it said calcium. So i had some cheese, lol. I also barley accomplished 30 min workout but I did it!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    @LesIckaBod I buy it as a blend at my local grocery store from the frozen aisle. I'm certain it's probably easy to make at home, but I'm all about super fast, convenient cooking (haha so I'm a lazy cook).

I like regular Riced cauliflower too (when dressed or combined with something--alone is meh to me) but the texture isn't quite as pleasing to me for some reason.

I also cook it way longer than the package usually says to in order to get it closer to the consistency I want.

Also...preserving muscle isn't my area of expertise but maybe your calories are a bit too low to be preserving lean mass? I vote don't worry at all until the real report comes in and then do research if necessary :)

@eevang You're the voice of reason for my worrywart frustrations. I did run a bit under my target calories based on tracked 3-week TDEE recently (not enough to lose 11 lbs of lean mass, I would think, though!). You know I'll keep you all posted when I get the new Inbody results!

Also, I'm going to take a closer look at the freezer section of my grocery store next time to check for riced cauliflower. :smile:
  • sara41164
    sara41164 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I think fresh is always better. I tried the frozen dinners once last year and couldn’t drop anything hardly. I heard a good rule of thumb is to stay on the outside isles of the grocery store. Which usually includes the fresh stuff. Good luck!
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I try to stick with fresh, homemade meals, but I also always keep a couple of frozen meals on hand. I don't always have the time or energy to actually cook something, and a Lean Cuisine pizza is a far cry better than ordering an actual pizza or picking up fast food.
  • grebber1
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. Leaving the frozen meal at home tomorrow. I usually have a salad with it at lunch but tomorow I'll just have the salad with a hard boiled egg and sliced grilled chicken.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @grebber1 Awesome insight--that kind of insight is what will give you switches and tricks that make long-term loss and maintenance a success.

I had the same insight but it took me a while. I ate lean cuisine all the time at my highest weight and very rarely now. I used to get hungry an hour after eating one and then cave to snacking. I do like to have a couple of the frozen meals on hand if I ever have a zero energy day after work. My rule of thumb is this: less than 400 calories, over (or very close to) 20g of protein. The higher protein content keeps me full.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 168
    Current weight: 167.6

I'm pretty happy with the weight loss. I lifted weights earlier this week and haven't pushed too hard recently (had a few stresses this past week, so I focused on finding a balance for a healthy mind & body), so a loss of any kind is all I was looking for.

I lost two pounds last week and my goal is to lose 1.3 per week, so the average is pretty good.

I am getting excited to get to 60 pounds lost! I've got another 6.6 pounds to go but I'm hoping to get to 161 this month or next.
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @eevang You got this!!! I'm so excited for you to be so close to the next mini goal.

I've had a very stressful week. I work full time and then also have (had) a part time job. Both of my jobs are very stressful in themselves. However on Sunday I was at my part time job, two hours until time to go home. Since I'm part time there has been a lot of changes on how things are done. I'm a quick learner and I only recently dropped down to part time after 10 full years on the job. I know what I need to do. I just wanted clarification on one thing and went to speak to the supervisor. In his true fashion when he doesn't know the answer, his response was "well did you read the policy" and I responded "yes". This is where he ALWAYS starts screaming at people so they sit down and drop the question/subject. After said supervisor literally screamed at the top of his lungs as me as the 17 other people watched in horror (and then later sent me texts about how that was NOT appropriate as well as others having a few choice about how they describe him), I decided I was going to quit. I sat there and cried at my desk, wanting to just walk out right then and there. Instead I made it through the rest of the shift and I turned in my notice and will be reporting him to HR. The big bosses are very sad to see me go and even said they weren't going to make it official until Wednesday after I had a few days to think if it's really what I want. And it is. Thankfully I have my full time job that is great and I don't have to put up with him. It'll be rough and I don't know how I'm going to swing bills, but at this point I just don't care if that means I have to donate plasma to make up some money difference. And it made food shopping easier because I was not hungry due to being upset that the chocolate bar in the check out wasn't even a temptation. I don't know if I cried because I'm so embarrassed, or if because I'm so happy I don't have to deal with the stress, or because it's been my job for the last 10 years and I'm leaving behind people who really supported that tonight when I didn't think they really cared that much. Hopefully now the stress is gone, it'll be easier to lose weight. I've been wanting to stress eat but so far I'm handling it well.. sticking to plan. I ate two small fun sized butterfingers... but resisted cake at work for someones retirement party!

• korimak0
    korimak0 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @WishfulThinning18 wow it seems like you had a quite a day. Good on you for not slipping foodwise- I totally would have. Having a bad boss has been the difference between loving and hating my job in the past, and your boss sounds toxic! Sometimes you just have to get out of there. I do hope they follow up on that hr complaint, so that your co-workers have an easier time.

Sending hugs your way <3
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

hi all, new here, hoping to lose weight soon! lol. thank you
  • grebber1
    Options
    Been reading all your posts. Wishfullthinning18... that supervisor is a real piece of work.
    And thanks to everyone who responded to my posts.
    Tomorrow is my weigh in but this morning I finally hit under 380 by a hair. Ate good yesterday and had a good workout unloading 40 75 lb retaining wall blocks off of a trailer. Then went for a few mile walk. All in all it was a good day except I can't find any of my Beachbody exercise CDs and I don't know who has them :(
    Was really looking forward to diving into one of them this month.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Jaygirl3
    Weigh in Sunday
    Weigh in at start was 209.6lbs
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Username: caitlynns727
    Weigh-in Day: Wednesday
    Weigh-in Week: 1
    Previous Weight: 184.2
    Current Weight: 182.3
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @WishfulThinning18 Way to go for taking care of yourself by getting out of that abusive-sounding work situation. I hope the relief from stress opens up your life to allowing you to better achieve your health and other goals.

@grebber1 Congrats on breaking under 380! I hope your salad, egg and chicken lunch helps you keep making progress! One tip: since you're a big guy and have a physically strenuous job, really make sure you're getting enough protein and fat in that lunch. Pre-tracking your food for the day on MFP could help, and if you find you need a little more protein or fat, think about adding some nuts into your lunch or packing a protein smoothie in a cooler.

@eevang Way to go on your weight loss! Since I've been in the group, you've been a role model for steady, reasonable weight loss -- and reasonable attitudes toward the ups and downs of weight loss, too. I'm rooting for you to reach your 60 lb milestone!
This discussion has been closed.