TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    @craigo3154
    I definitely agree with you that diet is the main factor in weight loss.
    You know at 370 tho you wouldn't think it would take much effort to lose weight. I use to eat a ton of food to get where I'm at. This last 4 or so days I've stayed at the same weight. I understand there's many factors in how people lose weight but I'm still disappointed that my weight stayed the same. I've tracked everything with pretty good precision and have been active. These two things alone you would think I would be able to overcome sitting around and just eating what I want. And yet the weight has stayed the same. It is kind of discouraging. I'm not giving up or anything like that I just really thought being so heavy that it would not take much to have a constant drop in weight. You know what I mean?
    I'm still kind of carb heavy in my diet and I need to pay more attention to my sodium intake I believe. So we will see what the next few weeks bring now that I'm starting to run out of food in the house that has a lot of carbs. Healthy mind you just carb High

@grebber1. Few things are likely in play here.

1) Adipostat. This is the body's internal setting for how much fat it believes you need to have.

2) Water weight. Initial conversion of fat to energy produces CO2 and water (H2O). The fat cells store a lot of this water for a time.

3) Minor food allergies/intolerances. Not everyone digests food the same way.

4) Other medical factors (like hyperthyriodism). May need blood tests from your doctor to check for other reasons.

Expanding on each:

Adipostat is a collective term (there is no one body system regulating this, but the effect observed from the interaction of a number of systems). Essentially the body fights to maintain a reserve level it believes it needs. This is irrespective of how far out this reserve level actually is. Sudden changes in diet or activity do not reset this.

To change the adipostat takes consistent change at a tolerable level (MONTHS at a time). Extended periods (3+ days) or more than 1000 kCal per day deficit from normal TDEE is often seen as starvation (Those conditioned to fasting takes longer for the starvation reaction to kick in). Starvation is considered as an intolerable level of change.

If the change is at an intolerable level (like the TV show TBL), the body goes into extreme metabolic adaption (read also matabolic damage) and slows down EVERYTHING until tolerable levels are resumed. It will also increase hunger (gherelin production) to persuade the body to eat more.

As a guide, 1% per week body weight change is the TDEE target. Ideally start above this, track and work down.

Water weight.

As stated, the initial conversion of fat to energy produces a lot of CO2 and water (H2O). The fat cells store a lot of this water for a time. The CO2 is exhaled fairly quickly (it is toxic for the body to to store it for too long).

The fat cells do not change "weight" significantly while storing water. But they do start to change size. If continually using fat for energy and not replenishing, the fat cell eventually gets super-saturated and must release the water (this is when you get a weight "woosh").

The body will release water by exhalation, perspiration and urination.

Because of how the fat cells store water, measuring is a far better indication of change than weight. Size tend to reduce consistently while weight goes in wooshes and plateaus.

Food allergies/Intolerances.

For me gluten is not processed efficiently. It slows other digestion processes and makes me slower. For others, the have limited tolerance to dairy, others to egg protien, some cannot tolerate nuts, etc.. Pat of this is down to gut bacteria, some down to cell absorption, some down to genetics.

A food intolerance may be subtle. They could be mood altering. They could be digestion altering. Not all can be "felt". Only by tracking and observation can you truly work out what foods suit you best. There is no "one size fits all".

Other medical factors.

If you are doing everything correct. Eating at a deficit, regular activity and after 3 week still not seeing changes in size or weight. Seek medical help.

There are a number of conditions that can cause weight / size stasis. Most can be determined by blood tests looking for organ function.

Largely. If you:
    • Stick to plan.
    • Review the plan vs results.
    • Implement small changes based on results.
    • Repeat.
    You will lose weight long term (and have a good chance at keeping it off).

Its a lifestyle change that makes permanent weight loss, not a diet or exercise plan.

Hope this helps.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    One last thing: it's week 2 of August, and there's plenty of time to go in this month. I get the feeling that some people are feeling a struggle now, so maybe some positive thinking would help? Here's a question: can you identify something that's bringing you happiness or joy right now as a direct or indirect result of your weight loss?
    • Not being out of breath when doing simple things.
    • Recovering quickly after exertion.
    • Buying off-the-rack clothing.
    • Inspiring others to live healthier.

• WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here's a question: can you identify something that's bringing you happiness or joy right now as a direct or indirect result of your weight loss?

I'm fitting in the clothes better.

I'm proud of myself for resisting these delicious looking home made cupcakes a co worker brought in.

I find myself just smiling more because I just feel better from the nutrition being better choices then junk
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 10
    Exercised?: Yes. 4km walk over lunch.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Travelled home again tonight. At least I managed to gat a walk in round lunch time.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 10 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes

Now that we're back home and not walking as extensively as we were while sightseeing, I'm feeling ... worried? ... about how I'll maintain enough activity to sustain the rate of loss I was getting used to this summer. I'm also feeling a little snacky when it comes to sugar, and I've dived into the boys' candy stash a couple times today. I just finished tracking my calories for the day, and while I'm below, I'm a little concerned I may have forgotten to add something. (Yup, just remembered something else: hummus, but still under my calorie quota for the day).

So, the lesson of the day is that I might need to pre-track again for awhile and get out the measuring cups and scales while preparing my meals. I also feel like I need to hit the treadmill to walk in the evenings after the boys go to bed, just to be sure I'm getting enough activity in these last two weeks before school madness starts again and my schedule too includes more daily activity.

I know that what felt like easy loss over July is unlikely to continue at the same rate, so I'm trying to control my expectations about that, and I'm also trying to mentally prepare myself to stay steady through what could be a long slog with little progress. (I'm a worrier!)

How are the rest of you Gutbusters tonight?
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    One last thing: it's week 2 of August, and there's plenty of time to go in this month. I get the feeling that some people are feeling a struggle now, so maybe some positive thinking would help? Here's a question: can you identify something that's bringing you happiness or joy right now as a direct or indirect result of your weight loss?
    • Not being out of breath when doing simple things.
    • Recovering quickly after exertion.
    • Buying off-the-rack clothing.
    • Inspiring others to live healthier.

Not getting out of breath seems like such a little thing, but I think it's seriously undervalued. Once you realize you won't get out of breath doing simple things, it's like you suddenly feel the confidence to do more -- or at least I did. I started feeling less like a slug or liability (can someone carry this for me?) and instead more capable and willing to engage with others (sure, I can carry that for you!).

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    Here's a question: can you identify something that's bringing you happiness or joy right now as a direct or indirect result of your weight loss?

I'm fitting in the clothes better.

I'm proud of myself for resisting these delicious looking home made cupcakes a co worker brought in.

I find myself just smiling more because I just feel better from the nutrition being better choices then junk

It's feels good to take good care of yourself, doesn't it? I think a lot of us have probably heard negative internal voices criticizing our appearance or choices, and it's nice to turn those voices off and finally hear some positive ones (at the risk of sounding schizophrenic, but I hope you know what I mean! :smile: ). Regardless of how much weight is lost from week to week, gaining that positive outlook is priceless.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I've gotten so much more confident. I wish I had been more confident at my heavier weight--but I actually let it affect my life significantly, and I never acknowledged that before. Lately, I've been reaching out to old friends, DATING, and making new friends through apps. I'm 20x more social. I've stopped watching TV naturally...probably because I'm out and about so much more. I'm in my mid-twenties and the way I lived before was indistinguishable from the life of an octengenarian. I didn't shut down social opportunities before, I just never pursued them.

I have to go now because I'm meeting a friend at the gym lol.

Also I love how my clothes fit :) and how cheap cute clothes are at this size.
  • lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Username: lolakinks
    Weigh-in Day: Friday
    Weigh-in Week: 2
    Previous Weight: 84.2 kg (185.6 lbs)
    Current Weight: 83.8 kg (184.7 lbs)

The second week I binged a few times and drank alcohol twice, however, I went 5 times to the gym. That's something...
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 185.2
    Todays Weight: 182.8

Amazing work this week Gutbusters, great logging, losses and support!

As to something that's bringing me happiness, I love how clothes fit now and that I'm fitting into my old wardrobe. Last summer at 235 I would only wear trousers and jeans, I got too much thigh chafe in skirts and always felt like they were too short (because my bigger butt took up more room!), now I go for skirts and dresses first and I feel more stylish and comfortable. One of my biggest achievements has been getting into a bikini two weeks ago for the first time ever in my life and feeling good about it - sure I still had lumps and bumps but I'm happy. Still a few lbs to go yet till goal though!
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Username: rawrxamberx
    Week : 2
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous weight: 291
    Today’s weight: 297

There were more sweets this week cuz of birthdays. This next week I’m gonna buckle down 👌🏻
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (62.3kg) 137.3
    Todays Weight: (62.6kg) 138.0

Still too low. Slowly inching up. Weigh in Saturday as was away on Wednesday morning.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: rawrxamberx
    Week : 2
    Weigh in day: Thursday
    Previous weight: 291
    Today’s weight: 297

There were more sweets this week cuz of birthdays. This next week I’m gonna buckle down 👌🏻

@rawrxamberx. Birthdays, celebrations, events are all part of life. And they should be celebrated with good company and good food. However, not an excess of good food. If you know an event is coming plan in advance.

Instead fo next week, start today. Just try make today as good as you can. Then do the same the next day. Forget about yesterday, it's gone and cannot be changed. Forgive any mistakes, simply learn from them and move forward.

At the end of the week, look back at your tracking and see if there is a single small change you can make for the week moving forward that will make thing better. Could be less of this, more of that, lower daily calorie target, more fats/less carbs, etc..(or even just to track)... One change a week and you can assess if the change is beneficial and sustainable. All changes should be sustainable.

All the best for today and the week going forward.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 11
    Exercised?: Yes. 20 mins bodyweight exercises.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Rained most of the day, so no flying. Managed to get bodyweight exercises done.

Sister over for dinner.

Over to a friends for lunch tomorrow, so no flying tomorrow either.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 11 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Name: ShareASmile
    Week 2
    Weigh in day : Saturday
    Previous week: 166.0
    Current weight: 161.0
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    eevang wrote: »

I've gotten so much more confident. I wish I had been more confident at my heavier weight--but I actually let it affect my life significantly, and I never acknowledged that before. Lately, I've been reaching out to old friends, DATING, and making new friends through apps. I'm 20x more social. I've stopped watching TV naturally...probably because I'm out and about so much more. I'm in my mid-twenties and the way I lived before was indistinguishable from the life of an octengenarian. I didn't shut down social opportunities before, I just never pursued them.
    I have to go now because I'm meeting a friend at the gym lol.

Also I love how my clothes fit :) and how cheap cute clothes are at this size.

@eevang I'm happy for you that you're having so much fun these days! The positive social changes are healthful changes, too, so you're winning on more than just the weight loss front! Enjoy!!!
    emmclean wrote: »
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 185.2
    Todays Weight: 182.8

Amazing work this week Gutbusters, great logging, losses and support!

As to something that's bringing me happiness, I love how clothes fit now and that I'm fitting into my old wardrobe. Last summer at 235 I would only wear trousers and jeans, I got too much thigh chafe in skirts and always felt like they were too short (because my bigger butt took up more room!), now I go for skirts and dresses first and I feel more stylish and comfortable. One of my biggest achievements has been getting into a bikini two weeks ago for the first time ever in my life and feeling good about it - sure I still had lumps and bumps but I'm happy. Still a few lbs to go yet till goal though!

@emmclean Whoa, a bikini! I'm not sure I'll ever have the nerve (just not how I roll) but congrats for you (and the fiance!!!)! Will the honeymoon be in a warm beachy place?

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    Just got home from taking the boys to an end-of-summer ice cream party at the library. I've been looking forward to this myself for weeks and I ran on the treadmill beforehand to ensure I got in my exercise before I could get lazy afterward. Got to the party, and what do you know? I had lots of fun helping the boys make their sundaes, and had pretty much zero desire myself to have any, so I didn't.

I did get a latte on the way home, and I know the milk has plenty of calories and sugar on its own, though I don't add additional sugar to my coffees. So, maybe not a total win, but mama enjoys her caffeine.

Also, I don't like to treadmill often because I'm clumsy and afraid of falling off, but I was running comfortably at 6 mph, alternating with 4.2 mph walking and 5.5 mph jogging to give me some HIIT action. And it felt good!

Here's to exercise endorphins for the rest of you today as well! Cheers!
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Username: WishfulThinning18
    Weigh in week: Week 3
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Weight: 316.6
    Todays Weight: 314.6
  • craigo3154
    Options
    jaygirl3 wrote: »
    Username: jaygirl3
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Weight: 208.6
    Todays Weight: 201.0

@jaygirl3. Amazing. 7.6lbs down for the week. Quite a woosh. Must be doing something right. Well done.
This discussion has been closed.