Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Do we eat to hurt ourselves?

2»

Replies

• wellnesschaserwellnesschaser Posts: 895Member, Premium Member Posts: 895Member, Premium Member
    PamelaR64 wrote: »
    During a recent emotional binge, I wondered if I was eating to hurt myself. Women who hurt/self-injure themselves seem to have many of the same reasons/causes those of us who binge or emotionally eat do. I have an appointment with my therapist today and I plan to ask him his opinion...

I ask myself his all the time. Because it is self harm, especially when there is no physical hunger and maybe discomfort happening and we know rationally that the discomfort will increase yet continue the behavior.

I also ask “why do I do this?” but haven’t had any good answers, except that maybe my self esteem is low, I’m disappointed on myself and/or my situation and feeling physical discomfort is easier to process than emotional discomfort.
  • clsumrall1clsumrall1 Posts: 351Member Member Posts: 351Member Member
    We are being just as abusive as the men or women who had abused us when we are young. We have made a judgement on our feelings about the inner fear we are experiencing. Instead we need to just recognize the emotion and not make that judgment. Just experienced the felling of sadness or fear or alarm or whatever the moment brings up.
  • Gracedtimes2Gracedtimes2 Posts: 49Member Member Posts: 49Member Member
    Wow! Amazing insights all of you have. Thanks for your posts.
    I’ve been pondering and researching that some emotional and/or binge eating could be part emotional and also part of imbalances of feel-good brain chemicals, such as serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, etc.. Childhood and adult trauma can actually alter the flow of these chemicals, creating an imbalance that can make us feel a little more raw than others. Our brain chemicals play a large part in our eating cycles, and if unbalanced, like most addictions, we will attempt to balance (and feed) those chemicals to ease stress, tension, depression, etc...
    I don’t have a solution to this. I wish I did. However, our brains aren’t stone and our choices can help restore some balance—like exercise, eating Whole Foods, sleep, meditation, healing trauma—all which can help cease the connection of using food to ease emotions, and yet harm ourselves in the process. Also, some anti-depressants can help restore imbalances, helping some to feel more calm, less stressed and stop cravings like sugar and carbs (which increase serotonin).
    Thanks to all for your courage, efforts, and sharing along this path towards health.
  • clsumrall1clsumrall1 Posts: 351Member Member Posts: 351Member Member
    Happy Fourth of July all. This is such a great day in the history of America and a great day of history for Those of us on this site. Instead of Alchol today can I recommend a fun drinking. Blender party. Fresh watermelon plus cucumber and a squeeze of lemon and stevia with mint. A splash of your favorite bubble water that has no sugar but a fruit flavor. Light and refreshing for sure. Good luck to everyone today let’s make good choices so we can make good memories of our new healthy history of community commitment
  • GamlielaGamliela Posts: 2,381Member Member Posts: 2,381Member Member
    @clsumrall1 Thank you for the insightful post three up. I was stunned when I read it. Happy 4 th of July.
    @Gracedtimes2 Your suggestions about excersize, good food etc. do work for me. I spiraled downward for a few months and just the last week found walking, meditation and dropping one significant unhealthy eating habit has made all the difference.
    I realize I am punishing myself as well as trying to nourish myself, I just can't to get it right for very long. All in all I find myself better more and more of the time.
    I'm very grateful for this group and the inspirations posted here.
    Best to all of you!
    and yes, let's make good choices for good memories and a healthy history, what a brilliant way of saying that !
  • hoer5641hoer5641 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Wow never thought of it that way . That is very insightful for me. Thank you
2»