TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I’m super annoyed. Not sure if it’s at my co worker, at myself... most likely both.

Sitting down to work.. co worker comes over and asks if I wanted this peanut butter Krispe treat covered in melted chocolate. I said no thank you. Mind you they know I’m trying to lose weight. It’s not a secret... the Nutrisystem part is but they know I’m trying... so what does he do? Plops it right down in front of me on my desk and walks on. If I didn’t have someone sitting next to me I would have just thrown it away but we were working on a project so she moved the trash can so we could sit next to each other.

I ate it. I already touched it. He already had touched it. I didn’t know where he put the container. Now thankfully Nutrisystem allows me to flex (exchange things in and out) so I decided that I would flex my dessert and have this. And it wasn’t even good. At all. It was meh at best.

30 minutes go by and he asks if I ate it. I said yes but please don’t ever set food down in front of me again.

Now I’m thinking I probably sounded like a witch, and I’m new so now I’m worried about how I came off.

Sigh. I’m taking this weight loss seriously. I’m paying quite a bit of money for my plan. And if I go off it I feel like I’m wasting money because I am paying for said plan. I don’t want to be fat. And I’m an all or nothing kinda girl as well so going off what I’ve planned for myself is why I’m upset with myself. That’s how it always started in the past when cooking my own foods.. oh it’s just this once.. oh it’s just a bite.

@WishfulThinning18. Sometimes you need to defend your own space. Even if it offends other people.

Hindsight is always 50/50, but really the correct thing to do in this situation was either offer it to someone else, or get up and throw it in the bin (just so you can tell mister drop and leave that his "gift" was not welcome considering you stated you did not want it in the first place and that it disrupted your work having him leave it on your desk).

You were right to tell him not to set food down in front of you again. Do not be concerned with how it sounded, he did the wrong thing by you to begin with.

Next thing is to forgive yourself for this disruption to your eating plan. It was not a circumstance you had planned for. It was beyond your capacity to resist at this stage (it take a LONG time to build up cast-iron resolve). As you progress, you will get better at handling this (and other) situations.

You cannot change the past, but you can learn from it.

Simply resolve to do better the next time.

id9xay56ob4i.jpg

• craigo3154
    Options
    Happy weigh-in day for: @fe452436. @lolakinks. @Biblebabe588. @runforfun_wa.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 17
    Exercised?: Yes. 5km walk in hills in 38 mins.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Nice to work from home for a day.

Long way under calories. Will have something before bed, but still will not put me over budget. (I could demolish a 100g block of chocolate and STILL not be over budget).

Bad weather tomorrow and Sunday (after good weather all week). Race scheduled for tomorrow postponed.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 17 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? Good here. Eating light today because my father is taking my sister and I out to eat for our belated birthdays. Steak dinner at some small place by my house. Not looking forward to it as much as I usually would. You know the deal. Lord knows how everything is prepared. Hard to mess a steak up but it's the other stuff that I need to be concerned with. Deep fried shrimp that comes with it I'll give to my dad or sister. Hopefully they will have a salad option instead of the other stuff like potato
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @grebber1 Happy Belated Birthday!
  • grebber1
    Options
    Thanks!
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in week:3
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Weight last week:193 lbs
    Weight today:194.5 lbs

Sorry.Need some more time.I am trying.
    Once I lost 15 -17 lbs and hit 160 lbs .At that time I was not thinking of anything but weight loss.In that situation one can perform too many repetitions hurting anything.
    I wish I could be able to join gym classes again.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    Will the honeymoon be in a warm beachy place?

Yes indeed! 2 weeks in New Zealand with a bit of beach time in amongst trying to see as much of the country as possible and then 5 days in Langkawi, Malaysia. I can't wait! Between saving for a home and then saving for a wedding we haven't had a proper holiday since 2014. Although we've had a great week in Cornwall and some amazing short trips to Ireland for wedding planning.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 182.8
    Todays Weight: 179.8

2 weeks to go until the wedding and 0.8 lbs to target! Mind you that's two weeks in a row with a decent drop so it might balance out a little higher during the week. Could also be that I got my lazy backside out for a 5km run both days last weekend and that's kickstarted my weightloss again. Better go again today!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Weight last week:193 lbs
    Weight today:194.5 lbs

Sorry.Need some more time.I am trying.
    Once I lost 15 -17 lbs and hit 160 lbs .At that time I was not thinking of anything but weight loss.In that situation one can perform too many repetitions hurting anything.
    I wish I could be able to join gym classes again.

@fe452436. Seems like you have not found your balance yet. Eating style/preferences vs satiety vs activity level.

If you get the balance right, the weight takes care of itself (this is from experience).

Time and time again, those successful at weight management confirm it's a lifestyle change, not a diet or an activity plan. Your entire way of thinking slowly changes. You no longer WANT the things that made and keep you overweight.

The fact you got down to 160 and have gone back out to over 190 shows that this "mindset" was not learned as you dropped the lbs to 160.

It is a common mis-conception that you need the gym or vigorous exercise to lose weight. I have not seen the inside of a gym in more than 5 years and I dropped over 50 lbs last year (and have kept it off). My main "exercise" is walking (not jogging or running - low impact walking). I supplement this the quick bodyweight exercises. No equipment required. Completely portable. :)

If you like the gym, and/or it is convenient, then this is great way to work out for you (and sculpt the body you desire). For me, the gym is not convenient, nor a place I even want to be. Any activity that you try that you do not enjoy doing, in time you will avoid and stop doing.

Get your normal eating habits correct, then worry about activity (gym). Note this is not a "diet", something you go on an off, this is getting your normal eating habits set to something you can live with that will work best for you.

You have all the time you need. I am happy to help out where I can to get you on a track that heads you in the right direction.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    How's everyone doing? Good here. Eating light today because my father is taking my sister and I out to eat for our belated birthdays. Steak dinner at some small place by my house. Not looking forward to it as much as I usually would. You know the deal. Lord knows how everything is prepared. Hard to mess a steak up but it's the other stuff that I need to be concerned with. Deep fried shrimp that comes with it I'll give to my dad or sister. Hopefully they will have a salad option instead of the other stuff like potato

@grebber1. Happy belated birthday.
    grebber1 wrote: »
    Pretty proud of myself. Gave the shrimp to my father. Well. I had one. The steak was good. Prolly a 7oz. No potato instead I had a salad. Only bad thing was ranch dressing. Oh well could have worse.

Hope all the focus on the right food did not detract from you having a good evening.

I am also proud of you sticking mostly to plan and eating well. This take a lot of resolve and self control. Well done.

From what I can see, you are doing astoundingly good. Hopefully, through this time you can learn habits that will keep you healthy for the rest of your life (not just shed lbs in the short term).
  • ShareASmile
    ShareASmile Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Username: ShareASmile
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Weight last week:161 lbs
    Weight today:159.8 lbs
  • grebber1
    Options
    @craigo3154
    "From what I can see, you are doing astoundingly good. Hopefully, through this time you can learn habits that will keep you healthy for the rest of your life (not just shed lbs in the short term)."

That's the $10,000 question. Only time will tell. I feel this time I can sustain what I'm doing though as last time I felt I was starving myself a lot of the times and always felt like crap. MyFitnessPal and logging what I'm eating is a game changer. Going "out" and managing what I eat is still a work in progress. Knowing I can go out and have fun but not go overboard is something I'm still learning but it will come in time
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

Lastly you could forego mains entirely and just straight to dessert (have it while others are having mains :) ). This way you get something you enjoy :) .
    @craigo3154 Yasss -- now if only I could do this while somehow getting the little dudes to not clamor for dessert instead of dinner, too! :smile:
    eevang wrote: »
    I do want to add...I'm not sure I could eat a grilled chicken salad while people are eating pizza around me. Ever. I just couldn't face that temptation while eating salad. My go-to meal at an Italian restaurant is generally a chicken entree where I ask for the noodles to be swapped out with broccoli (I generally check to make sure they have broccoli first). I've done Chicken Parmesan and Chicken Piccata before. I also did a philly cheese steak without bread over baby spinach before.

@eevang You (and @craigo3154) definitely have great suggestions about the alternatives for eating out, and I've got a lot to learn in this area. I really do appreciate your ideas.

Now here's where I get honest and recognize my petulance: I don't like this particular restaurant, and I probably look for ways to have a bad time there. So, that's something for me to work on, too. Just got to get over that feeling and probably give the place a skip more often than not until I can. Darned mental weight loss game!

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Folks, I'm feeling a little a low for various reasons related to my work, but I wanted to share something I feel good about. This is my body composition history from the Inbody scale. The columns record values at Day 0, Day 55, Day 80, and Day 131. This is a bioelectrical impedance analysis, which is imperfect, but the Inbody scales seem to be a little more accurate because the current goes through both hands and feet. (Too woo woo?)

Anyway, the weight loss is clearly down, and the trend for skeletal muscle mass is up every time, which I feel great about. And most importantly, I've been doing this for over 4 months. No "6 week body makeover" and "30 day plan" or "power 90" -- just me, figuring out some things that work and some things that don't, and feeling like I can keep this up.

9f1c9bwig0ai.jpg

• craigo3154
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    craigo3154 wrote: »

Lastly you could forego mains entirely and just straight to dessert (have it while others are having mains :) ). This way you get something you enjoy :) .
    @craigo3154 Yasss -- now if only I could do this while somehow getting the little dudes to not clamor for dessert instead of dinner, too! :smile:

@LesIckaBod. For a night out at special place, let the little dudes start with dessert too. :) Keeps them happy and makes it special night for them too. (Maybe limit them to ONE desert which they can have before or after mains - their choice).
    Now here's where I get honest and recognize my petulance: I don't like this particular restaurant, and I probably look for ways to have a bad time there. So, that's something for me to work on, too. Just got to get over that feeling and probably give the place a skip more often than not until I can. Darned mental weight loss game!

@LesIckaBod. It's ALWAYS going to be a mental game. EVERYTHING is. If you expect to have a bad time, most often you are right. If you expect to have a good time, most often you are right too. :)

Training a mental approach to things takes YEARS of re-enforcement. I was fortunate to be coached in sports psychology when competing ice skating as an adult (in my 30's - I started at age 28 and managed to compete in 7 successive national championships). With any endeavour, weight loss, skating, difficult work situations, difficult social situations, etc... mental preparation helps make thing go your way. (btw, I am now over 50 :) ).

A day or two out from the situation, take 5 minutes to imagine the situation going the way you want. Find a quiet place, sit comfortably, close you eyes and imagine the situation in as much detail as possible. Remember you are in control of the situation you are imagining. You can change details, people attitudes, etc.. , but you want to make it seem to your brain as real as possible. Run through the scene/situation as many times as you need to focusing on controlling you actions to attain the desired outcome. The more times you can do this, the better prepared mentally you will be when the situation arises to be able to cope and try get the desired outcome for real. (This is a simplified summary of a technique I use, but the full explanation would take a chapter in a book).

The above can be repeated as often as desired as, at it's core, the brain cannot tell the difference between reality and simulation. The more practice you have at a situation, the better you become at it.

Hope this helps.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Folks, I'm feeling a little a low for various reasons related to my work, but I wanted to share something I feel good about. This is my body composition history from the Inbody scale. The columns record values at Day 0, Day 55, Day 80, and Day 131. This is a bioelectrical impedance analysis, which is imperfect, but the Inbody scales seem to be a little more accurate because the current goes through both hands and feet. (Too woo woo?)

Anyway, the weight loss is clearly down, and the trend for skeletal muscle mass is up every time, which I feel great about. And most importantly, I've been doing this for over 4 months. No "6 week body makeover" and "30 day plan" or "power 90" -- just me, figuring out some things that work and some things that don't, and feeling like I can keep this up.

9f1c9bwig0ai.jpg

@LesIckaBod. Doing amazing. Slow and steady does win this race.

Crash diets yo-yo, but steady lifestyle changes produce permanent results.

Go Les.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    name: Jaygirl3
    weigh in day: sunday
    Weight today: 201
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 19
    Exercised?: Yes. 20 mins bodyweight exercises (completed before posting :) ).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Coldest day in a while with snow on the nearby hills. Rain, lightning, hail, wind, low temperatures, so no walk.

Friends over for the afternoon.

Meatza for dinner (gluten free - pizza with protein crust (instead of bread based crust) - mince mixed with egg for binding - recipe from skinnymixer's - delicious).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 19 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
This discussion has been closed.