TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    All Gutbusters.

Week 3 results are in: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689593/week-3-august-results#latest

Team Gutbusters did well with a 0.75% loss overall (for those that weighed in). 2nd for the week.

Team Gustbusters is currently in the lead with an average loss for 3 weeks of 1.93%.

The 1% (or more) reductions for this week are: @jaygirl3. @brunchowl. @Grebber1. @eevang. @LesIckaBod. @Sara41164. @westray16.

1% is a sustainable average loss and good for being able to keep weight off.

Due the nature of weight loss. Most will do a lot one week, then little the next. Don't be overly concerned if not 1% for any individual week.

Over 3 weeks we have a lot that are 2% lighter (or more) since initial weigh in:
    @mthomas0228. @WishfulThinning18. @Grebber1. @jaygirl3. @brunchowl. @Metubal. @ahelgers10. @ShareASmile. @Sara41164. @LesIckaBod. @westray16.
    (The first 4 of these are over 4% in 3 weeks - which is very impressive).

Finally do not be concerned to post a gain for a week. The group is about support more than winning. If we all work together and help each other, we all win (irrespective of the competition result).
  • craigo3154
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Username: mthomas0228
    Weigh in Week: August Week 2
    Weigh in Day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 156.3
    Today's Weight: 152.2

@craigo3154 I just noticed I entered a incorrect weight for last week's weigh-in....my weight on 8/6 was 155.2. Sorry for the mix-up!

@mthomas0228. That is fine. You are doing VERY well this month. 4.65% down so far.

Just for this week, I'll keep your last week's weigh in the same as it will adversely skew the results in favour of Gutbusters for this week, but will have no effect on the end of month result.

Next week I will put it to the correct value, as the effect on the weeks results of Gutbusters against other teams will no longer be an issue. I try very hard to keep the competition fair.

In the 2 months that I won the TBL competition (July/August last year), not once did I win a week in the team. It was the consistency that won it. Anyway, it's the same prize in TBL for first and last :) .

The real win from the competition was that I lost size and weight, got fitter and healthier and learned how to maintain it for the rest of my life. This is why TBL is still running and a desire of mine for all TBL competitors.

@mthomas0228. As week 3 result now posted, spreadsheet has had your week 2 weigh in updated now.

You are Gutbusters current star performer with 4.65% lost so far this month. The lighter you are, harder it becomes to lose weight. This is why the competition is measured by %, not lbs lost.

Keep up the great work.
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Username: WishfulThinning18
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Sunday
    Previous week's weight: 314.6
    Current weight: 312.8
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! Keep it up and remember why your here. Everyone on here has a choice on what they put in there mouth. We have 2 weeks left. Let's give it our best shot. What's 2 weeks? We got this
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    NSV: I have lost 10-15 pounds this summer (which is great, but doesn't feel huge since my total loss is over 55 pounds). So I haven't felt like things have changed all that much in the past few months. I've just been trucking along, doing what's been working.

Well today I tried on my "too small" clothes from the beginning of summer. I had gone through all my clothes, gotten rid of the big stuff and boxed the small stuff.

Almost all the clothes fit. Including a size 12 skinny jean and a size 8 stretchy skirt. At the beginning of summer, I was a solid 14 and now I'm a 10/12. I started at 1x.

I have only a few pieces of small clothing left before I have to buy a new wardrobe. I've got about 3 more pounds to lose before I'm at my second year of college weight...but I think I may be smaller size-wise than I was at that age because I've put on muscle.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nice job @eevang
  • mthomas0228
    mthomas0228 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Username: mthomas0228
    Weigh in Week: August Week 4
    Previous Weight: 151.8
    Today's Weight: 150.8
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    LesIckaBod
    Week 4 August
    Previous: 179.3
    Current: 175.5

Looks like an alarming loss for one week, but it brings my overall average for the month to the much-more-sensible -2lbs/wk.

My waist circumference today was 35.25 inches. So much positive progress, and yet still at high risk for disease based on BMI and waist circumference. Just kind of an eye-opening realization. I'm obviously so much better than where I was, but the facts show that I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks for being along for the ride, Gutbusters!
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    @eevang Way to go! Are you excited for the start of school? Will your students and colleagues be the type to say anything about your weight loss? I always have kind of mixed feelings about that, but regardless, you've done great work and I hope you're feeling on top of the world!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    eevang wrote: »
    NSV: I have lost 10-15 pounds this summer (which is great, but doesn't feel huge since my total loss is over 55 pounds). So I haven't felt like things have changed all that much in the past few months. I've just been trucking along, doing what's been working.

Well today I tried on my "too small" clothes from the beginning of summer. I had gone through all my clothes, gotten rid of the big stuff and boxed the small stuff.

Almost all the clothes fit. Including a size 12 skinny jean and a size 8 stretchy skirt. At the beginning of summer, I was a solid 14 and now I'm a 10/12. I started at 1x.

I have only a few pieces of small clothing left before I have to buy a new wardrobe. I've got about 3 more pounds to lose before I'm at my second year of college weight...but I think I may be smaller size-wise than I was at that age because I've put on muscle.

@eevang. Fantastic work. It's the "doing what's been working." that makes all the difference. Once you find what works for you (and you can live with ongoing) no reason to change. Welcome to the new you.

If at your "college size", what size are you eventually aiming to get to?

The problem with "vanity" sizes is that you can still be healthy and get too small to find off-the-shelf clothes that can fit. (This is from recent experience). The "average" population size in the US is solidly in the "overweight" category (BMI 28.7), but not yet at obese (BMI 30+). BMI 18.5 to 25 is considered "normal".

• craigo3154
    Options
    August 20
    Exercised?: Yes. 5 km walk in <40 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Worked from home today. Still tying to get back into work from home routine after so much travel.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 20 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Westray16
    Week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous weight 192 lbs
    Today's weight 195 lbs

Struggling to get back into this. Not able to walk far due to an injury but joined a pool this morning to do some water based exercises 3 times a week
  • craigo3154
    edited August 2018
    Options
    westray16 wrote: »
    Westray16
    Week 4
    Weigh in day Monday
    Previous weight 192 lbs
    Today's weight 195 lbs

Struggling to get back into this. Not able to walk far due to an injury but joined a pool this morning to do some water based exercises 3 times a week

@westray16. Please take care. It's hard to keep to a plan when injured and mobility is hampered. However, being forced inactive through injury does not mandate weight gain.

That said, weight/health management is 90% diet. Most calories are burnt by the body just running the brain and keeping warm. Activity boost to this burn rate, but you need to to A LOT of activity to significantly use more. (An active person uses, on average, only 30% more calories per day than a sedentary person).

My wife does almost no exercise and is type 2 diabetic. However, in the last 2 months, through solely changing eating habits, has lost over 15 lbs (averaged over 1% per week reduction) and reduced daily insulin dosage by 25%.

As the saying goes, "You cannot out exercise a bad diet". However the principle remains even without exercise. "You can do without exercise on a good diet".

Hope the injury heals soon and that you enjoy water activities. (I personally enjoy swimming, but don't get to do it that often).
  • craigo3154
    Options
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    With this session of the challenge ending soon... and this also being my first round... do I get to stay on the Gutbusters for the next round? Do I have to re apply?
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Username: bootssowhite
    Weigh in Week: August Week 4
    Previous Weight: 308.4 lb
    Today's Weight: 309 lb
  • eevang
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    @eevang Way to go! Are you excited for the start of school? Will your students and colleagues be the type to say anything about your weight loss? I always have kind of mixed feelings about that, but regardless, you've done great work and I hope you're feeling on top of the world!

I wasn't particularly excited but did wear a pencil skirt that made it obvious because I'm ready to wear my clothes that fit! haha.

At the end of the year, I was wearing baggy clothes still, so I got tons of comments today. Tons. It was nice but also awkward for me.

People at work keep telling me I worked hard. I guess the acknowledgment is nice but it also feels odd. Because what I'm doing now doesn't feel like work. I'm not fighting my body anymore. I kind of am just doing things that make me happy and being aware of the consequences of my actions while keeping an eye on the big picture.

I ran into a student I taught two years ago. He has been in the other side of the building and probably hasn't seen me since my loss became obvious. THAT was a bit hard. He looked a bit surprised, and I think it took him a second to realize who I was. I'm going to be seeing my former kids in the halls from time to time, and that is going to be a bit hard for me.

Also I heard the school is going to put up photos of us next to our rooms, and I think they will use last year's yearbook photo. I might be a diva and request a different photo because I'd rather not be a walking "after" picture. I don't want to draw extra focus to my loss.

@craigo3154 American society does certainly skew towards overweight. Today, I was called small or tiny by several different people. Um...I'm still overweight and have around 20 pounds to go before hitting normal.

Normal is my big goal. I'd like to be at the middle or lighter side of a normal BMI at the end of this. I want some leeway as I transition to maintenance and figure things out. And I want to stay in normal for the rest of my life. I want to stay active and strong.

I have gotten to the point where I'm feeling confident about my body. I wear short sleeves and shorts when it suits me now :) but I am still working towards the big goal.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    With this session of the challenge ending soon... and this also being my first round... do I get to stay on the Gutbusters for the next round? Do I have to re apply?

@WishfulThinning18. August is 5 weeks (so next week is the last week for TBL August).

Any competitor that posts a weigh in within the last 2 weeks of a month is automatically registered into the next month.

As you have posted a weigh-in for week 4, you will be registered into Septembers competition. You can, if you wish, request not to be registered for September by notifying me or Ashley ( @AB0215. )

So in summary, you don't need to re-apply.
  • eevang
    Options
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 4
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 165.0
    Current weight: 164.0

August started with a struggle, but I've been back on track and feeling strong.
  • eevang
    Options
    Question for y'all. I posted above about my thoughts on getting comments from others. It's particularly hard when there is a disconnect between how we feel inside and how people respond to our outside (ex. Working really hard with no or negative comments, going on a private journey to a healthier lifestyle only for it to become a topic of public conversation).

How is this going for you? Have you been surprised by certain responses or comments? How have you felt about getting comments? Does a lack of reaction ever bother you?

I know it's been important for me to process my thoughts on this forum and hope this prompt helps others do the same. Would love to hear from new and returning Gutbusters!
This discussion has been closed.