September Monthly Challenge: This September I Will...

Options

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Four days into the month of September and I have managed to meditate each morning and night. I hate that I let this habit slide in the past. I am looking forward to building this practice/habit as the month goes on. Four days in and I am sleeping a little bit better. Woot!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Four days into the month of September and I have managed to meditate each morning and night. I hate that I let this habit slide in the past. I am looking forward to building this practice/habit as the month goes on. Four days in and I am sleeping a little bit better. Woot!

That’s terrific, @PinkyPan1! I’m glad you are sleeping better too.

Habits are slippery things aren’t they? It’s easy to get out of a good habit. But they can always be picked up again.

Meditation has changed my life and I’m glad this is your September focus.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,033 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp
    Thanks! I’ll be interested to know how the Intuitive Eating goes for you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This September I will spend a minimum of 60 mins daily doing some combination of the following small actions: learning, finding resources, dreaming, illustrating, painting, sewing, repairing, transforming/altering, and creating clothing that is flattering to my body.

What does success look like to you at the end of September?
    *** I’ll have at least a jacket that fits with new buttons & other touches & *possibly* a new coat-inspired dress made from a jacket that is too large.
    *** I will have many drawings (in marker and/or of original designs) completed.

*** I will have also begun a mood board for my new wardrobe: color palette, styles, sketches of designs, accessories, etc.

9/2 - 2.5 hours: sketching, creating a croquis for my own body based upon measurements, sketching & painted clothing, trying different media; went through my old clothing that is too large, gave away some & put the ones I will alter/redesign in a prominent place. Took 3 things that fit in to be repaired.
    9/3 - hiked, no designing, but counted my second hour from the previous day
    9/4 - 1.5 to 2 hours (lost track!!!) hours - great fun! Sketching, made two improved croquis, created an outfit on one, water drawing of three ladies, added embellishments with white pen/market & a manga deleter black pen, practiced collar bone & shading of neck & face, used Prisma app to manipulate image, then Snapseed. SO MUCH FUN! Figured out how to slant shoulders in one direction & hips in the other to add movement to the figure.

Next: faces!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Hooray @PinkyPan1

@MadisonMolly2017 will let you know for sure.
  • themedalist
    Options
    This September I will spend a minimum of 60 mins daily doing some combination of the following small actions: learning, finding resources, dreaming, illustrating, painting, sewing, repairing, transforming/altering, and creating clothing that is flattering to my body.

What does success look like to you at the end of September?
    *** I’ll have at least a jacket that fits with new buttons & other touches & *possibly* a new coat-inspired dress made from a jacket that is too large.
    *** I will have many drawings (in marker and/or of original designs) completed.

*** I will have also begun a mood board for my new wardrobe: color palette, styles, sketches of designs, accessories, etc.

9/2 - 2.5 hours: sketching, creating a croquis for my own body based upon measurements, sketching & painted clothing, trying different media; went through my old clothing that is too large, gave away some & put the ones I will alter/redesign in a prominent place. Took 3 things that fit in to be repaired.
    9/3 - hiked, no designing, but counted my second hour from the previous day
    9/4 - 1.5 to 2 hours (lost track!!!) hours - great fun! Sketching, made two improved croquis, created an outfit on one, water drawing of three ladies, added embellishments with white pen/market & a manga deleter black pen, practiced collar bone & shading of neck & face, used Prisma app to manipulate image, then Snapseed. SO MUCH FUN! Figured out how to slant shoulders in one direction & hips in the other to add movement to the figure.

Next: faces!

This is great progress, @MadisonMolly2017! I really like your practice of a "time bank". It keeps you on track for your goals, but gives you flexibility each day.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This September I will go to the group fitness classes at the gym every week day. Which means getting up early as with my schedule it's best if I do the early morning (5:15 am) classes.
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal : Setting my alarm early enough to get there in time, getting my workout stuff ready the night before. Telling my husband and teen age daughter I'm going then so they can hold me accountable. Also making sure I go to bed early enough the night before.
    How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible) every week day as that's when the gym has classes.
    What help do you need from us? Cheer me on, ask if I made it to class or just how was class today?
    What does success look like to you at the end of September? I'm going to put a sticker on the calender every day I go. Sounds cheesy I know but it will give me visual proof that I went. Also hopefully I will notice good changes to my body. And feel better about waking up early.

Day 2 done! I've been going to classes for almost a month now and realized this morning that I actually really enjoy going.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    Day 5 of Sweatember and I have managed exercise every day. I’m so proud of myself as for the first two days my asthma was particularly bad due to a developing cold and it would have been so easy to use it as an understandable excuse.

We are proud of you too, @Jinantonix!

Yes, excuses are tricky. I've come to realize that I need to challenge my assumptions about myself frequently. Is it really true that "I can't do blah blah" or is it more accurate to say that I can do it, just in a different way and likely more slowly than someone else? There's a big 'ole difference between the two!

"Sweatember" just cracks me up!
  • themedalist
    Options
    This September I will go to the group fitness classes at the gym every week day. Which means getting up early as with my schedule it's best if I do the early morning (5:15 am) classes.
    The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish my goal : Setting my alarm early enough to get there in time, getting my workout stuff ready the night before. Telling my husband and teen age daughter I'm going then so they can hold me accountable. Also making sure I go to bed early enough the night before.
    How often you’ll be taking these actions (daily is best if possible) every week day as that's when the gym has classes.
    What help do you need from us? Cheer me on, ask if I made it to class or just how was class today?
    What does success look like to you at the end of September? I'm going to put a sticker on the calender every day I go. Sounds cheesy I know but it will give me visual proof that I went. Also hopefully I will notice good changes to my body. And feel better about waking up early.

Day 2 done! I've been going to classes for almost a month now and realized this morning that I actually really enjoy going.

I think the point at which we begin to enjoy exercising and look forward to it is a big inflection point and cause for celebration. I'm so happy for you!
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I think the point at which we begin to enjoy exercising and look forward to it is a big inflection point and cause for celebration. I'm so happy for you!

Thank you!
  • MrsDavis1517
    MrsDavis1517 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goal will be to stick to my workout schedule I planned. It is 5 days a week and anywhere from 35-50 min long.

My action step will basically be to not allow myself excuses. If I miss a workout I will have to make it up on one of my rest days.

I've chosen routines that I love so there is no reason why I should not be able to stick with it.

My workouts are Monday through Thursday and Saturdays. Mon, Wed, and Sat will be Chalean Extreme and Tues and Thurs are cardio with an ab workout.

Feel free to check with me nightly and hold me accountable! Good luck everyone!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

I complete agree!!! Congratulations @Heidijens123 !!!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    MrsDavis1028 Hi! My favorite workout DVDs are Chalean Extreme. I always feel so strong when I’m done 💪🏻 🏋️‍♀️
  • themedalist
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My goal will be to stick to my workout schedule I planned. It is 5 days a week and anywhere from 35-50 min long.

My action step will basically be to not allow myself excuses. If I miss a workout I will have to make it up on one of my rest days.

I've chosen routines that I love so there is no reason why I should not be able to stick with it.

My workouts are Monday through Thursday and Saturdays. Mon, Wed, and Sat will be Chalean Extreme and Tues and Thurs are cardio with an ab workout.

Feel free to check with me nightly and hold me accountable! Good luck everyone!

Great goal and plan, @MrsDavis1028! You’ve set yourself up for success by choosing workout routines that you love.
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    MrsDavis1028 Hi! My favorite workout DVDs are Chalean Extreme. I always feel so strong when I’m done 💪🏻 🏋️‍♀️

I need to look into Chalean Extreme! I love a good workout!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , I love your time cards! I'm going to find that app for tracking my yoga. I like the idea of getting a star for each day I do it.

So far, so good. I missed Sept 1st, but otherwise I've done a yoga routine every day so far. 4 days isn't an impressive streak, but I'm finding that doing it after dinner is much better than trying to fit it in the morning, This is a bit of a revelation for me because I generally like to exercise first thing in the morning. However, my schedule this semester seems to work better with the evening. And on days when I work late, I do a nidra which I transition from the beginning floor work into finishing it in bed.
  • purplicious86
    purplicious86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This September I will make small changes to help curb after dinner eating and snacking that just ends in me emotional eating non stop. I will start having a snack after work and making my suppers more protein rich so I'm fuller. Then focus on NOT eating much after dinner and getting sucked into the black hole of eating abyss.

Fantastic goal, @purplicious86! Stopping the late night snacking was my top priority when I lost weight here on MFP in 2011-2012. I lost 50 pounds. I make a concerted effort not to eat junk food or snack when watching TV at night. I will not be resuming that bad habit!

Great choice for a September focus!

It's definitely not easy! How did you go about it? I feel like I don't even notice myself go to the kitchen then come back sometimes! So far it's going okay.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Good for you @Heidijens123 for doing the Yoga classes. Happy you are enjoying it.

Great goal @purplicious86 !!! I too had to be strong about the snacking at night and while cooking. I talk to myself into waiting until I finish cooking to eat and once everyone is done I immediately put the food away.

Intuitive eating is basically eating following your body ques and without the "diet" mentality. @MadisonMolly2017 this is all new to me but they do want to help with body image issues, the obsession we sometimes have with food and diet, weight and numbers. I have tried every diet and exercise there is, I have lost 40lbs, gained it back, lost it again, gained it again and now I am ready to just simplify. Walking, bike riding, eating right and take care of my mind, body and soul. I am dreading the holidays because of all the food I "cannot" eat but I do want to enjoy myself and in my culture we celebrate with food. I am hoping this approach will give me some tools to manage that. Worth giving it a try.

@77tes glad you found a way to accommodate the yoga and that is working with your schedule.

@MrsDavis1028 great goal. Happy you are choosing what you like!