Snack, Snack, Snack

rmhenson
rmhenson Posts: 2 Member
So I'm one that seems to want to snack all the time without realizing it. Anyone got suggestions on the best way to curb that appetite. I am so tired of doctors trying to put me on medicine that makes me feel horrible to curb it.

Replies

• MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    I have found my appetite is a lot smaller now that I have cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners

Yes! A smaller amount of good-for-you-food fills me up AND the bad-for-you-food tastes overly sweet or salty and I just don’t want it!
  • mjschmitzmojo
    mjschmitzmojo Posts: 22 Member
    New to the group, so not sure if this has been an discussed or not. I know that nuts are a great snack and source of protein, but I have peanut allergy and cannot have any kinds of them. Any suggestions for crunchy snacks for when I really in the mood for a snack?
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    This probably isn't what you had in mind, but I get a very satisfying crunch from carrot and celery sticks and apple slices.

• mjschmitzmojo
    I do like the carrot, celery, and apple slices but they get boring. I do include snacks in my daily calorie intake was just looking to see if anyone had any ideas for snacks that I hadn't thought of. My husband is watching what he eats also but he can eat the nuts where as I can't. He says they are good to fill up that urge to snack. I will say my favorite snacks are pretzels or air popped popcorn.
  • mjschmitzmojo
    That sounds delicious, will be trying this suggestion.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Sugar snap peas in the pod is a good crunchy snack.
  • lauraalee1967
    lauraalee1967 Posts: 2 Member
    I try to add protein to my snacks as well - I eat apples and grapes with a cheese slices or a hard boiled egg. It is still low calorie but feels more satisfying then a handful of popcorn or nuts. I also find herb tea/hot drinks make me feel fuller than a glass of water.
  • mandygne
    mandygne Posts: 1 Member
    Nights are a problem. I suffer from reflux and have to eat at least every few hours. If I don't, I can't sleep at night. If I eat dinner at 7:30pm ish, I need to eat again at around 10pm and then just before I fall asleep at about midnight. What can I have for those two snacks that are not high in calories while I'm trying to lose weight? Desperate!
  • ashrymom
    ashrymom Posts: 816 Member
    I always find if I’m hungry and snacky I make a large cup of hot tea. The warmth fills my tummy and it takes a while to sip it. And zero calories!
  • KittyKatori
    KittyKatori Posts: 5 Member
    I have a tendency to skip meals and and just mindlessly snack a lot. Oy..and I used to be a habitual soda drinker too, giving that up. The way I curb these habits is to make sure to plan my actual meals to include all the nutrition I need...and drink a lot of water and chew mint or cinnamon gum in the interim. Makes actual food taste awful, and keeps my mouth busy so I am satisfying that urge as well.
  • ryleelove2011
    ryleelove2011 Posts: 1 Member
    I was wondering the same thing lol I get junk food cravings and feel like I’m not eating the right things to keep me full
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited January 2019
    krythie wrote: »
    This probably isn't what you had in mind, but I get a very satisfying crunch from carrot and celery sticks and apple slices.
    I think those are great ideas! :) I had the same thought, that crunch factor is big for me as well..
    Anything from Baby carrots, apple slices, sugar snap peas, celery etc. paired with cheese, nut butter, raw almonds, Cuties etc. The protein/fat combo keeps me satiated and the crunch well, I dunno I think I'll go with "satisfying" as @krythie shared in his post. :D
    I'm always drinking lots of water as well, water out of the fridge is my drink of choice so I always have that on hand.

One thing I'll add that keeps me from craving sweets is to try not to start in the first place. I realize that's not realistic sometimes but once I start it's a roller coaster for me. I'm not strong in moderating certain things so it's better for now that I don't eat them often. Once I start it becomes a craving everyday after that and difficult to get a handle on again.