Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    September 25
    Exercised?: Yes (5km in 38mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Managed to get a walk in before evening phone conference with Spain.

Worked from home.

Not much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for September 25 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (63.7kg) 140.4
    Todays Weight: (63.2kg) 139.3

Yay, a weigh in on Wednesday. :) Next week in Spain again, so will weigh in after I get back in 2 weeks.
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Username: Bendiz_
    Previous weight: 171.5
    Today's weight: 172.8

Notes: Aww.. I’ve been working my *kitten* off in the gym three times a week and tracking calories everyday. But! It is my time of the month in a few days, so I’m suspecting that this is the cause of the weight fluctuation. I’ve seen that my weight tends to bump up a little around that time. I have lost some cm’s over my arms, butt and thighs.. but my chest and waist are a bit bloated it seems.
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Username: caitlynns727
    Week: 4
    Weigh in: Wednesday
    Previous: 175.9
    Current: 174.7
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Week 4. Sept 26. Wednesday
    Exercised. Yes. 36 minutes treadmill
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Weigh-In for:

@bendiz_ - today's blip aside, you're still down for the month! 1.43% lost!
    @caitlynns727 - love the idea of the work week hustle! Down 1.8% for the month!
    @edising
    @hayleymace90
    @inshapeCK

@Grebber1 Looks like you've got yourself a non-scale challenge to motivate a future non-scale victory! It seems to me like your attitude just keeps getting more and more positive - I love seeing these kinds of changes! Thanks for sharing with us - we'll be rooting for you!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »

Question for the Week:
    Think back to your goals for September. Which goal do you think you made the most progress on, and what did you do that enabled you to make the progress?

OK, I'll be the first to bite on my own question. You all know I really just wanted to talk about this myself, right? :wink:

One of my goals was to work on getting more sleep. I'm making some progress on that, but not as much as I wanted. I think reading more at night helps, and I could use some more book ideas. So, readers out there, what do you recommend for me? I tend to read sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers, but the self-edifier in me also thinks maybe I should read some non-fiction or at least "classics" now and then. Ideas?

• grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks but it's a struggle every day. I wish I could say everything was easy and all but the truth is it sucks. Losing weight really sucks. And most people like myself are thinking "I can't wait till this is over and I'm at my goal so I can quit." Is almost a shocker to realise this is never over. To get where I want to be in to stay there will be a lifelong adventure. Some days are easy more often than not the days are a struggle to make sure I stay on track. It gets better with time but the thought is always there. At the end of the day it's all worth it hands down. Sometimes I wish I could close my eyes and fast-forward a year or two and just skip the weight loss part and get straight to maintenance LOL
  • craigo3154
    Options
    September 26
    Exercised?: Yes (5km in 38mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Managed to get a walk in before evening phone conference with Spain (again).

Worked from home.

Not much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for September 26 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    Thanks but it's a struggle every day. I wish I could say everything was easy and all but the truth is it sucks. Losing weight really sucks. And most people like myself are thinking "I can't wait till this is over and I'm at my goal so I can quit." Is almost a shocker to realise this is never over. To get where I want to be in to stay there will be a lifelong adventure. Some days are easy more often than not the days are a struggle to make sure I stay on track. It gets better with time but the thought is always there. At the end of the day it's all worth it hands down. Sometimes I wish I could close my eyes and fast-forward a year or two and just skip the weight loss part and get straight to maintenance LOL

I know what you mean. "It won't be easy, but it will be worth it."

I think we have to look at the weight loss process as preparing us for maintenance. We have to work on these habits now in order to have them in place for maintenance later.

I always think about the fact that, even though I feel pretty good about my current weight, there was a time in my life long ago when I was this weight, and I didn't maintain it -- I just kept on going up! Why didn't I stop then? Why didn't I maintain at a "normal" weight?

The fact is, I didn't know how to live at a normal weight. I knew I should eat fewer calories, but I didn't know how choosing more protein and more fat would help me more than choosing more salads (which left me hungry and angry -- not cute "hangry" but like "Hulk Smash!!").

I didn't know that getting off the elliptical, eating more protein, and consistently lifting some things that weren't too heavy (I'm talking, less than 10 lbs even!) would give me visible muscle development as I lost weight. I'd lost weight, but I always looked flabby even when I reached my goal. Dude, I'm not even at the lowest weight of my adulthood yet, and I've got some pipes now! My shoulders and triceps are showing! My quads are looking strong. I see some oblique development in the belly area. There's something better growing under this flab this time, and I keep knocking off the flab to show it!

I hear you - it's still hard. But for now, trust in the process, and stay consistent. At some point, you're going to see some development in yourself -- physical, emotional, mental, somewhere -- and you'll flip the switch from someone who struggles with the basics, to someone who chooses greater struggles for the sake of the development. So, from struggling to exercise at all, to pushing to meet some new exercise challenge. Or from struggling to lose X lbs, to struggling to put on X lbs of muscle.

I really believe it now. I didn't believe it before, but somehow, I kept on fighting, and I believe it now.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting post if anyone is interested. I immediately identified with this woman.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance
  • Colleen790
    Options
    Sept. 27 Week 4
    Username: Colleen790
    PW: 177.0
    CW: 176.1

• caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Question for the Week:
    Think back to your goals for September. Which goal do you think you made the most progress on, and what did you do that enabled you to make the progress?

OK, I'll be the first to bite on my own question. You all know I really just wanted to talk about this myself, right? :wink:

One of my goals was to work on getting more sleep. I'm making some progress on that, but not as much as I wanted. I think reading more at night helps, and I could use some more book ideas. So, readers out there, what do you recommend for me? I tend to read sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers, but the self-edifier in me also thinks maybe I should read some non-fiction or at least "classics" now and then. Ideas?

So I read a TON of young adult books to encourage my students to read. They might not be exactly what you're looking for because of the young genre, but I actually really enjoyed the Seven Realms quarter by Cinda Williams China. I also really liked The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth (divergent author). More adult books I really like include the Shannara Chronicles (there's about 100 lol), The Outsider and anything else by Stephen King, and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,940 Member
    Options
    Username: inshapeCK
    Previous Week's Weight: 145.8 pounds
    Todays Weight: 144.1 pounds:

Super stoked as I lost 1.7 pounds in 1 week B)
    and I got back down to my August 29th weight which was 144.7 pounds
    plus I lost an extra 0.6 pounds of "new" weight to get me to 144.1 pounds! :p

Down exactly 26 pounds from my highest weight which is a new number of accomplishment for me.
    Proud of myself! o:)
    Just 4 pounds away from 30 pounds down from my highest weight! :o

• craigo3154
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    This is an interesting post if anyone is interested. I immediately identified with this woman.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance

@Rocknut53. Very interesting. I can see where a lot can identify with this.

From my point of view, obesity is a symptom, not a disease. It's indicating that there is something that is not right either with your eating habits (food choices), or the way your body processes food.

The modern food industry is heavily driven by profit, not the benefit of the consumer. As such, long shelf life foods that are calorie dense and cheap to produce (usually heavily government subsidised) are prolific. When you can make profit from something, you spend money on influencing and advertising to continue to make a profit. Consequently, funded studies, education, government backed food organisations, etc.. have questionable motives.

What can be done?
    1. Teach the people about health, nutrition, macros and how the body processes food. (science based research, reproducible results, method and results published, researched aimed at finding information rather than targeting to prove a hypothesis, ideally NOT interest group funded - a lot of my research was through pub-med and I needed to learn a lot of medical terminology to wade through the data).
    2. Encourage people to experiment with their diet and activity to find a balance that works for them (not everyone processes the same food in the same way). Any change must be able to be made forever. If the change is too hard, it can never become habit.

Tracking is ESSENTIAL to diet/lifestyle experimentation. Only by tracking can you know what the start point was, what has been changed and what the result is.

Before experimenting, get a medical (blood tests), check to see if you have any known conditions that may be affected by experimentation (hyperthyroidism, type II, reduced liver function, etc...).

Experiment till you find out what works for you.

Once you get the right mix of eating and activity as an easy habit to maintain, weight is MUCH easier to keep in line.

Through experimentation, I found I do not process gluten the way I should (not celiac, just sensitive). Solution for me is to limit gluten where possible.

I see myself as gluten sensitive, not normal with "obese" tendencies.

I also limit snacks so I can have better meals. If I find myself hunting for food between meals, drink something first (water or unsweetened tea) and wait 20 minutes. Often hunger is a sign of dehydration (or boredom). If still wanting food after 20 minutes, find something small, high fat (like nuts) or high protein (dried meat) to snack on as it induces satiety. I carry high fat/protein snacks with me most days when out of the house.

Small changes at a time. Weight management is a long term activity, not just something you do for a month or three.
  • pilpolf
    pilpolf Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Week 4?
    Letting the side down sorry.
    CW 149
    Tracking and everything but even a few calories over seems to stick to my hips 🙄
  • craigo3154
    Options
    pilpolf wrote: »
    Week 4?
    Letting the side down sorry.
    CW 149
    Tracking and everything but even a few calories over seems to stick to my hips 🙄

@pilpolf. You are being too hard on yourself.
    1. This makes this month a 3.1% loss this month alone (which is great by anyones standard)
    2. It is MUCH harder to lose lbs when you are already low (a lot here DREAM of ever making 150).
    3. It is normal for women to carry reserves on the hips (men on the stomach).

You are, in no way, letting the side down.

(Tip: To try move stubborn reserves when in a calorie deficit, try keep the area warm to increase blood flow (heat pack, warm clothing, etc..). More reserves are used from areas in the body that are kept warm because the increased blood flow allows access to the reserves. Spot reducing with exercise does not work because the muscles cool down too quickly letting the blood flow go back to it's normal genetically pre-disposed flow patterns. The one thing to remember is that MOST of the body's energy is used keeping warm. If warming from external sources, less fuel is needed to fire the internal heating system (so you may need a slightly larger calorie deficit)).

• Colleen790
    Options
    Sept 27 Thursday
    Exercise. Yes
    Calories no
    Tracked. Yes
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Name: grebber1
    Weigh in day: Thursday