TEAM: Gutbusters (September)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday weigh-in for:

@cjscoey
    @Colleen790 - Down 3.03% for the month! Well done!
    @Grebber1 - Down 5.91% for the month! Whatever you're doing is working!!
    @peacekeace

• LesIckaBod
    Options

So I read a TON of young adult books to encourage my students to read. They might not be exactly what you're looking for because of the young genre, but I actually really enjoyed the Seven Realms quarter by Cinda Williams China. I also really liked The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth (divergent author). More adult books I really like include the Shannara Chronicles (there's about 100 lol), The Outsider and anything else by Stephen King, and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Thanks @caitlynns727 ! I used to read the Shannara books as a teen myself! I'll check out some of your recommendations here.

To return the favor, have you tried any of Naomi Novik's books? Her debut was the Temeraire series (super good!!) and then she wrote the stand-alone Uprooted, set in a different world with a different style of writing. She's got a new book out, but I haven't read it yet. Her work isn't dystopian, which I like because I feel like I got a little bogged down in the dystopias a few years ago.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    September 26
    Exercise: Yardwork
    Calories: Yes
    Tracking: Yes
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    This is an interesting post if anyone is interested. I immediately identified with this woman.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance

@Rocknut53. Very interesting. I can see where a lot can identify with this.

From my point of view, obesity is a symptom, not a disease. It's indicating that there is something that is not right either with your eating habits (food choices), or the way your body processes food.

The modern food industry is heavily driven by profit, not the benefit of the consumer. As such, long shelf life foods that are calorie dense and cheap to produce (usually heavily government subsidised) are prolific. When you can make profit from something, you spend money on influencing and advertising to continue to make a profit. Consequently, funded studies, education, government backed food organisations, etc.. have questionable motives.

What can be done?
    1. Teach the people about health, nutrition, macros and how the body processes food. (science based research, reproducible results, method and results published, researched aimed at finding information rather than targeting to prove a hypothesis, ideally NOT interest group funded - a lot of my research was through pub-med and I needed to learn a lot of medical terminology to wade through the data).
    2. Encourage people to experiment with their diet and activity to find a balance that works for them (not everyone processes the same food in the same way). Any change must be able to be made forever. If the change is too hard, it can never become habit.

Tracking is ESSENTIAL to diet/lifestyle experimentation. Only by tracking can you know what the start point was, what has been changed and what the result is.

Before experimenting, get a medical (blood tests), check to see if you have any known conditions that may be affected by experimentation (hyperthyroidism, type II, reduced liver function, etc...).

Experiment till you find out what works for you.

Once you get the right mix of eating and activity as an easy habit to maintain, weight is MUCH easier to keep in line.

Through experimentation, I found I do not process gluten the way I should (not celiac, just sensitive). Solution for me is to limit gluten where possible.

I see myself as gluten sensitive, not normal with "obese" tendencies.

I also limit snacks so I can have better meals. If I find myself hunting for food between meals, drink something first (water or unsweetened tea) and wait 20 minutes. Often hunger is a sign of dehydration (or boredom). If still wanting food after 20 minutes, find something small, high fat (like nuts) or high protein (dried meat) to snack on as it induces satiety. I carry high fat/protein snacks with me most days when out of the house.

Small changes at a time. Weight management is a long term activity, not just something you do for a month or three.

@craigo3154 While I agree with your assessment which in theory is spot on, I feel the emotional/psychological aspects of obesity can't be ignored. Every morning, I find it easy to focus on what I need to do: the logging, the exercise, the meal planning, steps I can take to avoid giving in to the insane urges I have to eat more than I should and so on. Then as the day progresses inevitably something happens to sidetrack my efforts. At this point I'm convinced it's something subconscious because I can't identify the trigger. I achieved my goal weight of 129# after a 60# loss last year, maintained for awhile then slowly started putting it back on (like the large percentage of people who lose weight). At this point, I'm stable, but having a hard time nudging that scale downward. I can and will do this. I refuse to be one of those who gains it all back and then some. I've spent my whole life doing that and that cycle needs to stop. Thank you for insight and your commitment to helping us all.
  • LesIckaBod
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This is an interesting post if anyone is interested. I immediately identified with this woman.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697701/i-still-have-chronic-obesity-even-a-year-into-maintenance

From my point of view, obesity is a symptom, not a disease. It's indicating that there is something that is not right either with your eating habits (food choices), or the way your body processes food.

@craigo3154 While I agree with your assessment which in theory is spot on, I feel the emotional/psychological aspects of obesity can't be ignored. Every morning, I find it easy to focus on what I need to do: the logging, the exercise, the meal planning, steps I can take to avoid giving in to the insane urges I have to eat more than I should and so on. Then as the day progresses inevitably something happens to sidetrack my efforts. At this point I'm convinced it's something subconscious because I can't identify the trigger. I achieved my goal weight of 129# after a 60# loss last year, maintained for awhile then slowly started putting it back on (like the large percentage of people who lose weight). At this point, I'm stable, but having a hard time nudging that scale downward. I can and will do this. I refuse to be one of those who gains it all back and then some. I've spent my whole life doing that and that cycle needs to stop. Thank you for insight and your commitment to helping us all.

I agree with @Rocknut53 that the emotional/ psychological aspect is very real, maybe not for everyone, but for some people. I don't have a firsthand familiarity with drug or alcohol addiction, so please forgive me if I offend anyone with this, but I feel sometimes that overeating is similar to those addictions. I could relate to the post @Rocknut53 linked to on that basis.
  • edising
    edising Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Username: edising
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 195.8
    Today's Weight:195.2
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    LesIckaBod wrote: »

I agree with @Rocknut53 that the emotional/ psychological aspect is very real, maybe not for everyone, but for some people. I don't have a firsthand familiarity with drug or alcohol addiction, so please forgive me if I offend anyone with this, but I feel sometimes that overeating is similar to those addictions. I could relate to the post @Rocknut53 linked to on that basis.

@LeslckaBod I feel there is a similarity to all those addictions. The problem with food is that we need it to survive unlike other addictions and there probably is not a chemical component involved like with cigarettes. So perhaps it's harder to conquer. I don't know.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options

@eevang You're coming up on your 1 year anniversary of this weight loss journey, aren't you? (I seem to remember you mentioning October as your starting date). I've only been at this for about 6 months, and I keep wondering where I'll be in 6 months. You're my role model for staying committed to tracking and exercise throughout ups and downs! I'm rooting for you!

Yep! October 30 was my start date and I'm hovering around a 60 pound loss currently which is awesome :)

Thanks! Excited to see what the next year brings.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options

So I read a TON of young adult books to encourage my students to read. They might not be exactly what you're looking for because of the young genre, but I actually really enjoyed the Seven Realms quarter by Cinda Williams China. I also really liked The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth (divergent author). More adult books I really like include the Shannara Chronicles (there's about 100 lol), The Outsider and anything else by Stephen King, and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Thanks @caitlynns727 ! I used to read the Shannara books as a teen myself! I'll check out some of your recommendations here.

To return the favor, have you tried any of Naomi Novik's books? Her debut was the Temeraire series (super good!!) and then she wrote the stand-alone Uprooted, set in a different world with a different style of writing. She's got a new book out, but I haven't read it yet. Her work isn't dystopian, which I like because I feel like I got a little bogged down in the dystopias a few years ago.

Love Uprooted so much!

Have you ever read Ilona Andrews?
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sep 26
    Exercised: Yes
    Under calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

Been so much going on lately, so I've only been tracking food and not using the mfp forum. Haven't been home and I hate writing on my phone. Hope things settle down here soon :smiley:
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So I had this planned out to have some pizza today for dinner. Plan was to buy a small deluxe pizza (4 piece) and split it with my mother. We talked about this for a week. I wanted to wait till my weigh in day.
    I almost fell guilty for eating 2 small pieces. ........ no I dont. It was bliss. Except the part where I'm analyzing the pieces and figuring out the calorie content. I'll be eating strict tomorrow. But with the help of mfp I was able to have them without blowing my diet because I allowed for it calorie-wise
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    By the way. Great job everyone who participated in the challenge.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    By the way. Great job everyone who participated in the challenge.

You're doing great, keep up the good work!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    September 27
    Exercised?: Yes (3km in 22mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Quick walk during a busy day working from home.

Looking forward to see my parents tomorrow for the first time in over 4 months. (They travel over the Australian winter and are back home now).

Daily Strength challenge

"Challenge for September 27 is squats (no weight - air squat - http://www.12minuteathlete.com/how-to-do-a-proper-air-squat/).
    You can do assisted squats (using a table or bench top to take weight off the knees if it is too much)."

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options

The modern food industry is heavily driven by profit, not the benefit of the consumer. As such, long shelf life foods that are calorie dense and cheap to produce (usually heavily government subsidised) are prolific. When you can make profit from something, you spend money on influencing and advertising to continue to make a profit. Consequently, funded studies, education, government backed food organisations, etc.. have questionable motives.

What can be done?
    1. Teach the people about health, nutrition, macros and how the body processes food. (science based research, reproducible results, method and results published, researched aimed at finding information rather than targeting to prove a hypothesis, ideally NOT interest group funded - a lot of my research was through pub-med and I needed to learn a lot of medical terminology to wade through the data).
    2. Encourage people to experiment with their diet and activity to find a balance that works for them (not everyone processes the same food in the same way). Any change must be able to be made forever. If the change is too hard, it can never become habit.

Tracking is ESSENTIAL to diet/lifestyle experimentation. Only by tracking can you know what the start point was, what has been changed and what the result is.

Before experimenting, get a medical (blood tests), check to see if you have any known conditions that may be affected by experimentation (hyperthyroidism, type II, reduced liver function, etc...).

Experiment till you find out what works for you.

Once you get the right mix of eating and activity as an easy habit to maintain, weight is MUCH easier to keep in line.

Through experimentation, I found I do not process gluten the way I should (not celiac, just sensitive). Solution for me is to limit gluten where possible.

I see myself as gluten sensitive, not normal with "obese" tendencies.

I also limit snacks so I can have better meals. If I find myself hunting for food between meals, drink something first (water or unsweetened tea) and wait 20 minutes. Often hunger is a sign of dehydration (or boredom). If still wanting food after 20 minutes, find something small, high fat (like nuts) or high protein (dried meat) to snack on as it induces satiety. I carry high fat/protein snacks with me most days when out of the house.

Small changes at a time. Weight management is a long term activity, not just something you do for a month or three.

@Rocknut53. 100% agree. There are emotional/psychological aspects of obesity can't be ignored.

There are commonly many parts that trigger eating.
    1. Hunger (the desire to consume food)
    2. Habit (what you have always done)
    3. Comfort (you get pleasure from the taste of the food you are eating)

If the hunger trigger can be reduced (proper macros). It makes re-programming the others easier.

You can to a certain extent re-program your tastes. I now drink tea unsweetened with no milk. I used to be milk and 2 sugars. It took over a year to reprogram my tastes so that sweet is now too sweet.

With the regular preferenced food I eat now, it is hard to over eat as it is usually very filling.

I still get emotional triggers to eat at times, but have developed strategies or alternate things to do to not eat when I don't NEED to.

Combating the obesity mindset takes time, planning and many mistakes along the way. But the message is it CAN be done. Once accomplished, maintaining a new, healthier weight is easier and more automatic.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    September 27
    Exercise: yes, another 3 hour hike
    Calories: yes, under
    Tracked: yes
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    September 28
    Exercise. Yes
    Calories. Yes
    Tracked. Yes
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Happy Friday Weigh-in for:
    @fe452436
    @KillaLindzilla
    @Rocknut53
  • hayleymace90
    hayleymace90 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Username: hayleymace90
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: 193
    Todays Weight:193

So guys but at least I’ve maintained
  • Rocknut53
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 146.5 pounds
    Today's weight: 146.8 pounds

The scale has been up and down this week as has been typical over the month. Frustrating to say the least. Next week will be better.
This discussion has been closed.