This November I Will...

Options

Replies

• MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but I'm so in!

1. My goal for this month-
    This November I will make the mornings mine - get up early and *move* whether that movement is calisthenics, mobility work, a run, a walk, whatever! As long as I move first thing in the morning.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal-
    I'll start by staging my clothes and everything else I need for the morning the night before, setting my intention for the next day, and going to sleep early enough that I can get at least 5 full sleep cycles.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit-
    Putting my daughter to bed will be my reminder to stage my clothes for the next day, and the alarm going off in the morning is my trigger to get up and move.

4. How often will you do your new habit?
    I want to do my new habit every day weekends included.

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?
    I have a twofold strategy for a reward. Firstly, I have decided that I can only have my cold-brew coffee if I get up when the alarm goes off, without hitting snooze, and put in a workout. Secondly, I will take a moment to thank my body for carrying me through that activity, and I'll write that gratitude down in my fitness journal.

6. What help do you need from us?
    As an obliger, accountability is my silver bullet. Maybe a buddy with a similar goal?

7. What does success look like to you at the end of November?
    A firmly cemented habit of getting up when the alarm goes off, the thought of hitting the snooze button never entering my mind, and knocking out my 30 minutes of activity before the rest of my household is even awake.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @nebslp and @77tes. It has been an adjustment and the yard keeps me moving.

Good luck and nice to see you @texasgardnr
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    MessyApron wrote: »
    I'm late to the party, but I'm so in!

1. My goal for this month-
    This November I will make the mornings mine - get up early and *move* whether that movement is calisthenics, mobility work, a run, a walk, whatever! As long as I move first thing in the morning.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal-
    I'll start by staging my clothes and everything else I need for the morning the night before, setting my intention for the next day, and going to sleep early enough that I can get at least 5 full sleep cycles.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit-
    Putting my daughter to bed will be my reminder to stage my clothes for the next day, and the alarm going off in the morning is my trigger to get up and move.

4. How often will you do your new habit?
    I want to do my new habit every day weekends included.

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?
    I have a twofold strategy for a reward. Firstly, I have decided that I can only have my cold-brew coffee if I get up when the alarm goes off, without hitting snooze, and put in a workout. Secondly, I will take a moment to thank my body for carrying me through that activity, and I'll write that gratitude down in my fitness journal.

6. What help do you need from us?
    As an obliger, accountability is my silver bullet. Maybe a buddy with a similar goal?

7. What does success look like to you at the end of November?
    A firmly cemented habit of getting up when the alarm goes off, the thought of hitting the snooze button never entering my mind, and knocking out my 30 minutes of activity before the rest of my household is even awake.

Such an awesome plan, @MessyApron. You’ve structured it beautifully with triggers to remind you to do your habit and rewards to incentivize doing your habit. Your no coffee until I’ve exercised rule would get me moving!

Excellent!
  • themedalist
    Options
    M310 wrote: »
    Hello! My goal this month is to become active in the group by actually posting. This is a big deal for me because I am a very private person and do not, as a rule, post on the internet. I can see that being openly part of a group would help with accountability and support, I just appreciate your patience. :)

I will post at least once a week. My trigger will be my email to my other accountability partner. The reward will be me congratulating myself (and presumably the support I will receive!). What I need from you is the same supportive kindness I have seen displayed in the comments already. :) Success would look like . . . moving from a formal post to interacting with others (you!) regularly, and feeling more comfortable doing so.

PS Books comments sound fun--has anyone read the Mitford series by Jan Karon? Love it!

@M310, Welcome to our group. I am just delighted to see your post. Your aversion to posting is one shared by many, many people. Right now, I’m sure, some people are reading this nodding their heads as your concerns echo theirs.

But unless people post, we don’t know they are “out there”. We don’t know what their goals are, what they are struggling with, and how we might encourage and support them. It’s posting that makes all the difference. I’m so pleased to see your post and proud of you for posting. You are among friends here and count on us to support you as you become a healthier you!

And thanks for the book suggestion. I will check it out!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi! Apparently if you start typing a message and leave the page, your partial message is gone. Ugh! Anyway, I'm doing well with my down and up and 5 minutes of floor exercises. 7/7 days so far. I made some modifications to make it more doable. I hope to just go for it once my kneepads get here. I've really enjoyed reading your goals and progress.

@themedalist I have romaine lettuce in the frig calling my name and I think about you eating your nightly salad. So today I will buy carrots and radishes and other veggies I can shred or cut up to add to mine.

@prgirl39mfp Remember that even a little exercise every day is better than none, and sometimes that's all you can do when you're super busy and tired. Hang in there.

@TKlepac Welcome! It sounds like you have some goals for your overall health. That's great!

@gojolida How's the morning water coming along? I've heard that our bodies are dehydrated in the morning and that's the best time to get lots.

@77tes Are you still using the chart for your essays? How's that coming along?

@texasgardnr I'll say it again, there's nothing more important than rehydrating our bodies first thing in the morning. How's it going for you?

@MissApron Hi, and welcome to the group. I love your morning move goal. I don't get rolling until I've been up a little while. Has your setting up the night before help you be successful?
    I've heard that's so important.

@M310 Hello and welcome! I can totally relate to your about not wanting to post to the internet a lot. I swear when I joined MFP I had all the information in and it took about 5 minutes of "should I do this or not?" before I hit the join button. I might be private to a fault but through the almost 6 years I've been here I've come to find that the people here are absolutely amazing with their compassion, caring, and support. I'm glad you're here! I looked up the Mitford series on my online library but they only have the later books. I'll check my local library next. The description sounded like something I'd like to read. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I'm off to get beautified (hair only) but it might help! "See" you soon!

• nebslp
    Options
    @77tes That’s a bunch of ⭐️ 🌟 💫!!!! And an equally huge number of essays! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @gojolida How's the morning water coming along? I've heard that our bodies are dehydrated in the morning and that's the best time to get lots.

thank you for tagging me and checking in! i've had a lot going on the past few days (a big party, family in from out of town, and some illness) but i'm back on the water train and back on my healthy goals.
  • MessyApron
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @nebslp Staging my clothes and miscellany the night before has been more than helpful, it's been crucial! Knowing that everything I need is waiting for me and that I don't have to spend precious minutes pawing through my clothes trying to put together an outfit that doesn't look like I got dressed in the dark makes it that much easier to get out of bed. Plus I programmed the lights in my kitchen to creep up to their full morning brightness around the time I go downstairs, so that makes it easier too.
    Also, ⭐️ on 7/7 days of exercise!!

@PinkyPan1 It sounds like you've chosen a good mix of books. Maybe I should take it as a tip that I should read the uplifting stuff before bed. I often read genre that are sometimes too dry to really enjoy.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 Brene Brown is awesome. Enjoy your books my friend.

@77tes great job! I have tons of friends who are teachers and let me tell you that your photo looks so familiar to their posts on FB.

@nebslp well done on your floor exercises.

@M310 welcome! This is a fantastic group. You will see.

@MessyApron love that you have decided to make the mornings yours and doing what you need to and thank your body!! Amazing. On the Beck Diet Solution workbook there is a chapter that talks about giving ourselves credit for all we are doing for ourselves, regardless of how simple or minimum it could be. Also, like you, I like to watch dry and sometimes too gruesome tv shows before bed ( I cannot read before bed, i fall asleep automatically) so I have chosen to watch comedies before bed. It makes all the difference.

I have not succeeded in my goal so far. No actual exercise for me yet. On my days off from work all I want to do is be in bed. I have no motivation, and that always happens this time of year but I don not rely on it to do the work, I am just not making the decision to do it. I am active, with house work and yard work but I am just very tired. So I am going to continue to work on my yard until I finish it ( guess I am changing my goal for the month :) ) I am estimating a good 2 weeks. I have to say that my arms, thighs, butt cheeks are super sore. I can feel the burn!!
  • MessyApron
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp
    On my days off from work all I want to do is be in bed. I have no motivation, and that always happens this time of year but I don not rely on it to do the work, I am just not making the decision to do it.

I got inspired by a quote earlier this week that talks about that should-but-I-don't-wanna limbo. Here it is, I hope it fires you up like it did for me!

"Don't expect to be motivated every day to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.” – Jocko Willink
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    @MessyApron , you are so right! Prepping for the morning is so great. I usually do set out (or at least decide) on my clothes the night before. However, this morning when I saw your post I was kicking myself for not getting my clothes our last night. When my kids were little this was gospel at my house. I even set the table for breakfast the night before. I've heard that some people sleep in their workout clothes, and that sounds like a good idea, but I'd rather be extra comfy at night.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Late to the party again, as usual! :) Maybe my goal this month should be to be on time for a challenge!

1. My goal for November is: Focus on drinking more water and less coffee

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will buy two colorful glasses and place one by the kitchen sink and the other will go to work with me. The bright colors will remind me to fill it and drink it. I will get a glass of water each time I get up from my desk and walk.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit- After each meeting at work, I will get a glass of water. When I get up and walk to get away from desk, I will get a glass of water. When I walk to restroom, I will get a glass of water. The bright glasses will be a trigger to remind me.

4. How often will you do your new habit? Daily. I really need to get better about this. My fingers are swelling like sausages!

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Once I drink at least 64 oz of water, I'll allow myself a cup of coffee or tea.

6. What help do you need from us? Keep those book suggestions coming! I love to read! (I know it has nothing to do with water intake, but it's still helping me unplug earlier at night and reading a book!)

7. What does success look like to you at the end of November? I will feel better, my brain will be less foggy, my fingers won't be as puffy and hopefully I will be able to wear my wedding ring again!

Thank you for tagging me @themedalist ! I have been MIA dealing with work stuff. UGH.

So nice to see new faces on here! Welcome!

• nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I hope you’re successful in your quest to drink more water. It’s so important for overall health!

I got my floor work done tonight after 8:00. My trigger works once in awhile but if I don’t go upstairs immediately after my morning show, it’s easy to forget. I didn’t want to do it, but did it anyway which is really good. I’m glad I have to be accountable or it might not have happened tonight. I’m still waiting for the knee pads.
  • themedalist
    edited November 2018
    Options
    MessyApron wrote: »
    @prgirl39mfp
    On my days off from work all I want to do is be in bed. I have no motivation, and that always happens this time of year but I don not rely on it to do the work, I am just not making the decision to do it.

I got inspired by a quote earlier this week that talks about that should-but-I-don't-wanna limbo. Here it is, I hope it fires you up like it did for me!

"Don't expect to be motivated every day to get out there and make things happen. You won’t be. Don’t count on motivation. Count on Discipline.” – Jocko Willink

That's a great quote, @MessyApron. It is discipline that's needed and discipline can be the foundation for a new habit. If every morning you start the day with some exercise, drink more water, do your daily floor exercises, get those essays graded, tend to the yard, and do some reading just before bed, over time those habits and routines don't need motivation in order to happen. They are just something that you do and a reflection of who you are.