This November I Will...

Options

Replies

• MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I like the idea of having colorful cups to remind you to drink.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    MessyApron wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB I like the idea of having colorful cups to remind you to drink.

Thanks! I have to "trick" myself by using visual cues... :smile: Red glass by kitchen sink so I grab a glass when I walk in there to "browse"...

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

I'm not ready to give up my solitude and take anyone with me on my ventures. Those nature walks have a spiritual component that I wouldn't experience if I was talking to someone or even just walking with them. So I'll just take my chances...and my phone!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sounds like a great plan @nebslp & I totally agree that solo nature explorations are quite different than with others. I notice so much more of nature when I am alone! Sounds like you have it all figured out! Walking 🚶‍♀️

I agree! I used to think I needed to call someone or have earbuds to I could listen to music, but now I bring my phone in my pocket (in case I need to call for a ride home!) and listen to the quiet stillness of dusk... I love it!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

I'm not ready to give up my solitude and take anyone with me on my ventures. Those nature walks have a spiritual component that I wouldn't experience if I was talking to someone or even just walking with them. So I'll just take my chances...and my phone!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sounds like a great plan @nebslp & I totally agree that solo nature explorations are quite different than with others. I notice so much more of nature when I am alone! Sounds like you have it all figured out! Walking 🚶‍♀️

I agree! I used to think I needed to call someone or have earbuds to I could listen to music, but now I bring my phone in my pocket (in case I need to call for a ride home!) and listen to the quiet stillness of dusk... I love it!

😁😁😁😁😁
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,783 Member
    Options
    I agree about the beauty of solitude, especially when out in nature! Thank goodness we have cell phones so that we can call if we get into trouble.

I've been sticking with my plan about grading essays first. I've already got 6 graded, and the essays were just submitted yesterday. I hope to get a couple more done today.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @77tes That is awesome commitment and follow through!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! I'm logging on to be accountable for the fact that I am doing really terrible at this. I can't seem to stop drinking coffee early enough in the day to get in enough water! UGH.

So....every day is a beautiful brand new day, right? Here's to a successful day to all!

:flowerforyou:
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes our goals need a little tweak so they aren't such a big change so fast. Like, you could say you will have AT LEAST 48 ounces, but NO MORE THAN 64 of water before having your coffee right now, and you will be successful at 48. Then increase the low number a few ounces a week until you reach 64 oz. or you decide some other number works for you. James Clear's last email message said that's how to make changes more sustainable and it really made sense to me. Just an idea. You'll get there!
  • M310
    M310 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm showing up to post as promised. :)@PackerFanInGB, you're an encouragement to be open here. I've been tracking everything and still pre-planning my menus (that's the good part). Two days I did not quite stick to the plan; not a binge or anything, just some small changes to the scheduled menu--I suppose some flexibility is needed but I need a clear boundary too. I find it hard when I am doing bulk cooking not to snitch or eat some of the food while it is fresh.

I've been trying to pre-plan a week ahead because we are having company all next week and I won't be able to be in the kitchen much, and that is even more difficult than doing it day by day. Everything will be out of the normal schedule, so I will have to be flexible (I'm not very, generally, if you couldn't guess), but I'm hoping that having a basic plan will keep me within my nutrition goals.

Speaking of company for a week, does anyone have ideas for fitting exercise in when your house is full of overnighters? (Literally--I think we have about 20 squished in multiple nights).

Blessings!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone! I'm logging on to be accountable for the fact that I am doing really terrible at this. I can't seem to stop drinking coffee early enough in the day to get in enough water! UGH.

So....every day is a beautiful brand new day, right? Here's to a successful day to all!

@PackerFanInGB
    Do you know why you want the coffee more than water?

Heat/Warmth? Try hot water maybe with lemon every other cup of coffee?

Taste? Would decaf coffee work?

Habit?

Not feeling the change is important enough for habit change?

My notes from Nutrition class:
    * You need 1 cup of water for ever 250 calories of food you eat a day.
    * If you only drink water at meals, you will be dehydrated between meals.
    * If not drinking enough in general —> less digestion & nutrient delivery. (Water is the medium for biochemical reactions in body.)
    * Ideal times to drink water:
    **** Drink 1-2 cups within 10 mins of awakening. He leaves glass by his bedside at night to drink in AM. We wake up dehydrated (if sleeping through the night.)
    **** Drink water 1-2 hours after eating (peak digestion time)

He suggests drinking 4-12oz water prior to coffee/tea. “Drink at least the same amount of water as you are of other drink.”

For milk, juice don’t count towards water - actually they count 1/2.

I hope this helps.

He also said it’s best to sip /drink slowly over longer time. I tend to drink a cup or more at a time so I’m trying to carry water bottle with me & sip so my body can use the water better!

💦 💧 🌊 🌧

You can do it!

Last thought: baby steps?
    Sunday 1 oz water before coffee
    Mon 2
    Tues 3
    Etc.

I love to figure out ways to “Trick my Brain” into being healthier!

Cheers!!

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    M310 wrote: »
    I'm showing up to post as promised. :)@PackerFanInGB, you're an encouragement to be open here. I've been tracking everything and still pre-planning my menus (that's the good part). Two days I did not quite stick to the plan; not a binge or anything, just some small changes to the scheduled menu--I suppose some flexibility is needed but I need a clear boundary too. I find it hard when I am doing bulk cooking not to snitch or eat some of the food while it is fresh.

I've been trying to pre-plan a week ahead because we are having company all next week and I won't be able to be in the kitchen much, and that is even more difficult than doing it day by day. Everything will be out of the normal schedule, so I will have to be flexible (I'm not very, generally, if you couldn't guess), but I'm hoping that having a basic plan will keep me within my nutrition goals.

Speaking of company for a week, does anyone have ideas for fitting exercise in when your house is full of overnighters? (Literally--I think we have about 20 squished in multiple nights).

Blessings!

Suggest all group evening stroll/hikes? Zumba YouTube dance party (email them to bring gym clothes?)
    Baseball game in a park?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Does living in a cold weather state make you want to consume hot drinks more then cold drinks @PackerFanInGB? It does me. I also like to have a glass of water before that first cup of coffee but it never stuck as a habit until I realized the water didn’t have to be cold. It could be tepid or even warm water. The water coming out of my well is super cold and there’s no way I want to drink it on a cold morning as is. When I switched to warm water the habit stuck.

And really great suggestions and input, @MadisonMolly2017 !
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    M310 wrote: »

Blessings!

Suggest all group evening stroll/hikes? Zumba YouTube dance party (email them to bring gym clothes?)
    Baseball game in a park?

I was also going to suggest a walk. A morning and afternoon/evening walk if possible. Having a house full is great, but for me it’s helpful to take a couple exercise breaks and get outdoors where it’s less congested and there’s lot of fresh air.

And great job. @M310 logging in regularly, posting your updates, and pre-planning your meals! You are doing wonderfully!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you for all the wonderful insight! I never really thought about if it is about drinking a hot beverage or why I didn't want to drink the water.

I thought about it after reading your comments and insight, though, and I think it's a couple of different things. I think the biggest thing is that I don't sleep well. The caffeine is like my lifeline to get moving and to get through my day. I feel useless without it!

I think the other thing is not only that I like to sip warm beverages from my cup, but I also really haven't been able to get used to the taste of city water! I drank a lot of water when we lived in the country and had well water. It was so good and so refreshing. City water, even with the filter we have in place, just has a taste that I can't get used to. (I know this will sound weird, but I honestly have changes in my tastebuds since chemotherapy. I used to love pepperoni, italian sausage, taco meat, etc., but since chemo I have this metallic taste still in my mouth that just makes many things taste really bad to me. It's a common side effect I've learned.)

I think what I maybe need to do is buy bottled water and let a few sit out at room temperature (really cold hurts my teeth!) and not only will it taste better, but perhaps seeing the bottles sitting out will be a reminder of how much more I need to drink by the end of the day.

You guys are awesome. I really hadn't thought of it in terms of hot vs cold. :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @M310 I would agree with taking walks. I think I would need to get away from so many people a few times during the day, personally, and I would just say "Well, it's time for my walk! I'll be back soon." and I'd get outside to get some exercise in and to rejuvinate! But that's me...perhaps you don't feel that way about needing to get away. IF not, then maybe ask if anyone wants to go for a walk with you?
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB

Habit?

* If not drinking enough in general —> less digestion & nutrient delivery. (Water is the medium for biochemical reactions in body.)
    **** Drink 1-2 cups within 10 mins of awakening. He leaves glass by his bedside at night to drink in AM. We wake up dehydrated (if sleeping through the night.)

He suggests drinking 4-12oz water prior to coffee/tea. “Drink at least the same amount of water as you are of other drink.”

I hope this helps.

He also said it’s best to sip /drink slowly over longer time. I tend to drink a cup or more at a time so I’m trying to carry water bottle with me & sip so my body can use the water better!

💦 💧 🌊 🌧

You can do it!

Mon 2
    Tues 3
    Etc.

Cheers!!

Oh my goodness! You are a fountain of knowledge on this! Thank you!!! What great ideas!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB

Habit?

I hope this helps.

💦 💧 🌊 🌧

You can do it!

Mon 2
    Tues 3
    Etc.

Cheers!!

Oh my goodness! You are a fountain of knowledge on this! Thank you!!! What great ideas!

@PackerFanInGB
    You are most welcome!

I find that if I know the reasons for something (water, reducing sodium, etc.) then I make the changes. It reminds me that best possible health is my goal. Once I heard that our body can’t create the proteins or get the nutrients from our food without water as medium for the reactions,
    It shifted things.

Once I learned our bodies don’t store protein, I made a point of spreading it out over all meals.

Etc.

Have a lovely day!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    NOVEMBER 2018 - Last two weeks - Revised Plan (Sorry! I know I'm confusing, but I'm really trying to zone in on what will help me to do this. I feel it is important to my overall health!)

This November I will drink 64 oz of water and do 5 somethings each trip to restroom

The small actions I will be taking to accomplish my goal:
    • Set 8 oz red cup on kitchen counter to remind myself to drink a glass of water
    • Use blue cup at work to remind myself to drink water every hour that my FitBit notification goes off
    • Sip my glasses of water throughout the day, so as to help my body process nutrients
    • Go to restroom when I get up to fill water cup and do 5 somethings (squats, wall pushups, etc.)

I will take these actions: Several times per day

What help do you need from us? Any tips for "somethings" that can easily done in the restroom. All I can think of are squats and wall pushups.

What does success look like to you at the end of November? I hope for water to be a habit. I hope to shed water weight and be able to wear my wedding ring for the first time in YEARS! I hope to feel a little stronger in muscles I don't normally use.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have finished myErrma Bombeck book. I will starting Jude Deveraux book Holly tonight.
  • nebslp
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB good plan and triggers! Do you have an immediate reward you use for reinforcement? I’m laughing at myself because I was trying to think of some 5 things to do and my first thought was leg lifts while standing by the sink. I wonder how many other people would associate that with what I did and laugh!?! 🤪 Probably not that many.

@PinkyPan1 Did you like the book?