Struggling with emotional issues after returning to LCHF

Options

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    For now, just the knowledge that there's gonna be cookies sometime soon has fixed things, and it's kinda freaky how sudden and powerful that change was.
    That makes sense. Thinking "Oh, I can just have it tomorrow" has helped me in the past.
    We've also been trying to steer away from food-based 'treats' entirely, like get them excited about other things, but that's a slow process and we gotta do it with each of them one at a time.

This is good too. We try to do this with our kids, reward with fun activities, not food. We still get them food treats sometimes, but not as the default.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    On Sunday January 6th we resumed the LCHF diet, after several months (perhaps nearly a year) of false starts. The previous 4 to 6 weeks we were especially careless about our food choices.

Since Sunday, we've had extremely poor sleep at night, due to interruptions by very vivid dreams and a frequent need to urinate. The dreams are troubling as, generally, we have been unaware of dreams for the past several months.

In addition, while awake we have been plagued by mood swings and emotional turmoil. Monday Jan 7, were extreme mood swings. Tuesday Jan 8, we were exhausted through most of the day, and felt highly dissociative. Wednesday Jan 9, were more mood swings, alternating between anger and despair. Yesterday we experienced a bit of mania and hyperactivity. Today we are back to mood swings, primarily anger and upset.

The only change in our routine or behavior which coincided with this turmoil, was the return to a carbohydrate-restricted diet.

LCHF is the only diet which has been successful for us so we are reluctant to abandon it, and it was highly successful for us in the past. We do not recall suffering these issues during our previous experiences with this diet regimine. We do suffer ongoing memory issues, but I am confident that if we had this experience in the past it would have been noteworthy enough to have been recorded in our diet log.

The situation today has reached a point where we cannot ignore it any longer, so I am here asking for help and advice.

I am hoping that some of the experts here may have suggestions on how we might be able to deal with this reaction, and if it can be mitigated, or if it might be temporary and will subside if we can perservere through it.

Thank you.

@Violet_Flux I remember my first 90 days was kind of like that when I got serious about about using Keto to reverse my rate of death but that was over 4 years ago. I did not log anything but my morning weights and they are now gone. Our changing hormones can be butt kicking on this WOE per my family even 4 years later their memories are still vivid of what I was like to live with before, during the first 90 days and the four years since. The kids (16 at the time) tell tall tales about me in the early days. :) I remember going into work one day and googling "Dying from Coconut Oil" when the detox stage was so strong.

Being 63 and with my life fading fast I just stuck with it because I knew the end was not going to be good if I did NOT. Because I got pain relief by day 30 it made it easier to power through the vast changes in my body moving from burning carbs to burning mainly ketones.

I have no advice because we are all different in times like these.

Best of success.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ages ago right after I joined this forum, I could probably dig it out of here if I spend long enough, there was a thread about how for many people, low carb eating calmed their emotions, or gave them a general sense of calmness and improved their focus etc. I read it and remember thinking "huh. doesn't apply to me".

Last week after the rest of the family was in bed and everything was quiet I found myself sitting on the couch thinking "hum. this is restful. I feel calm and relaxed."

THAT IS NOT MY DEFAULT. I'm a bit hummingbird like...always going, always doing, sometimes scattered, usually loud. That thread popped into my head and I wondered if I am now one of those people who will begin talking about the calming benefits of low carb. Maybe it just took my body 4 years to achieve it. :smiley:
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat keto but my husband just tries to eat less carbs and my mom (who lives with us) loves all carbs. So I usually eat protein and veg and just add carbs to their meal (potato, rice etc) as desired. If i make something like tacos or spaghetti, i put my meat and sauce over cauli rice instead of tortillas or pasta.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    Knowing something is there if you need it, but then never actually needing it is a pretty good feeling.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just having the possibility of cookies might make the 'younger' ones happier if they know it is available to be made, in the cupboard. Having a mix or recipe might be the smart idea because it is more work and less simple than just grabbing cookies out of a box. What about a keto mug cake mix? you could even have it all premixed dry ingred. in a baggie with instructions so it is easier to do than something off plan. The carb cycling sounds like a good plan to try. We all want to be supportive as possible in this forum, so vent away. We may not always understand, but we can have compassion.
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Low carb can play havoc with several kinds of medications, so if you're on anything regular it's probably worth speaking to your doctor about that. Here is a useful article (but, of course, disregard if it doesn't apply to you)
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/diagnosis-diet/201803/ketogenic-diets-and-psychiatric-medications

Otherwise, I have no other advice but just to urge all of you to be gentle with yourselves. You're obviously doing the best you can with navigating diet and health and that deserves to be celebrated.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that any transition period is complicated. I find the transition week to low carb always hard to adjust, sleep is hard, and the need to pee frequently is real and disruptive. It'a new set of rules one asks oneself to adhere and there is a lot of stress there which can trigger lots of things.

That said, I would also suggest monitoring your blood sugar if you can. I think once you are into the diet and your blood sugar and sleep are more adjusted it works wonders, but fluctuations as one is adjusting may be hard. I would say try to sleep extra, get some massages, extra water, and extra open air exercise.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    @Violet_Flux how did the higher carb day go?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    @Shadioutwo thanks for that link. We aren't on any psychiatric meds,but it was good to read. We follow that Dr on twitter, she's really good.

@mmultanen I guess it went well lol. We sure ate enough carbs to last a week or so. :flushed: Thanks for asking!

Never did make the cookies though lol. We saw a friend last week and she gave a gingerbread house kit to one of the young ones as a late xmas gift. So they made that yesterday and then ate some of it. Then we got rid of the rest so it won't be hanging around tempting anyone.

We're back into the low carb again today, and so far, so good. Which isn't saying much lol its like half a day or whatever in. But no cravings or whatever so that's nice.
    All that trouble the other week with that one part, we think it's been resolved. She had needs which weren't being met or addressed and neglect is a trigger for alot of us. Being denied cookies turned out to just be like the last straw or tip of the iceburg or whatever. It was a symptom, not the main problem.

So we're working with her, and she's found an activity that she wants to do which will hopefully mean she isn't just looking for cookies or sweets so much.

I kinda feel silly that we had this whole thread and stuff cos as it turned out, it had nothing to do with the diet I guess. I mean, only by a roundabout way, lowcarb = no cookies, but cos the problems started right after cutting carbs I guess it made sense to suspect the diet.

But its a learning thing, and we'll try to remember it next time this sort of thing happens. Cos it'll probably happen again and again etc. till everyone has been found and helped and healed and stuff. :confused:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @Violet_Flux it’s great that you’re all secure into low carb now! That must be a relief to all be on the same page and share a common goal for your health!! Congratulations on staying at 40 grams or less! That’s challenging for anyone! More huge kudos for the unopened brownie box too!! That’s a very big accomplishment!

And to the “spoiler” it’s so great to have you on board too! I’m sure your acceptance of this low carb way of life has made things easier for everyone!!

And I’m Karla btw. I don’t think we’ve officially met. I’ve been away from the group forums for a couple of years and have finally found my way back! It’s a pleasure to meet you!
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hello @KarlaYP, nice to meet you! :smiley: We all have different names but collectively we just go with 'Violet'.

Thank you for the kind comments!

I'm sure we'll continue to have challenges, not all of us are committed to health yet (and some are like I was, not even knowing) but as long as we keep learning from these things, hopefully it will be easier to manage next time something comes up.
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well done Violet! Great to hear about the positive update!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hey, Violet! At this rate the cookie mix will be stale in no time o:) . Glad you all seem to be coming together on your health journey.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Hello @KarlaYP, nice to meet you! :smiley: We all have different names but collectively we just go with 'Violet'.

Thank you for the kind comments!

I'm sure we'll continue to have challenges, not all of us are committed to health yet (and some are like I was, not even knowing) but as long as we keep learning from these things, hopefully it will be easier to manage next time something comes up.

Very proud of all of you! Pursuing health and weight loss is hard enough stuff on its own. You all have extra obstacles on top of that. You are doing great. We are here to cheer you on and support you when you need us. :heart: