Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This is crazy. I'm down 8 pounds in the 11 days since I started running again. I'd think the scale was screwed up but I can see the difference in my gut. My weight 11 days ago was a 2 or 3 pound spike from the days before, so it's not really that dramatic, but still.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 My husband will drop 2 pants sizes in 3 weeks on the rare occasion he gets off his butt and exercises. You definitely have a testosterone advantage!

(Also adherence to plan really helps...)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I don't recall if I've posted this before, but here's a great site for Instant Pot and air fryer recipes, including keto, if that's your thing. You can easily filter on major ingredient, diet type, ease, style, or cuisine. And best of all, there's a "Jump to Recipe" button on the top so you go right to it.

I highly recommend the her keto butter chicken recipe. I think I'm making that tonight.

https://twosleevers.com/recipe-index/

THANK YOU! I've been spending more time with my IP since the insert cracked for my slow cooker. So far a lot of success!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @7lenny7 @sarahthes My hubby drops big numbers at first, too, and generally overall. He doesn't formally track but does kind of keep a mental tally. It's a little frustrating sometimes because I have to weigh and measure or else I end up eating a whole box of cereal. I have had better success keeping off the weight, though, largely because of my commitment to running. He is very sporadic with workouts, very all or nothing, whereas I thrive on a running plan/schedule/training.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    The loss is great, and I'm very happy about it, but the sad thing is that it just gets me down to where I was in October. It gives me hope though. I feel pretty strongly that losing this weight will help me significantly in getting up those big climbs in April.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm reading a book right now that talks about how sometimes change suddenly seems easy. It's very interesting (not restricted to weight loss or fitness either).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250186315/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_pAEsCbPH3D1EK
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I am struggling, even while thinking how much worse it could be facing surgery for the 3rd time like Elise is. Still I am going through a 'why the heck am I bothering... with trying to get in cardio or measuring, logging and eating well'. I know better but I guess I am just in a funk. Had lunch at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and did ok, didn't really even eat much but then I had ice cream for dinner. I can't remember the last time I have done that - years I think.
    I need to run and when I think about it I end up crying... I even tried looking at my HM in May compared to when I 'may' be able to run again and figuring out if there is enough time to at least get to a point to be able to finish it.

So I am going to get off my butt and go put my gym clothes on and get some cycling in again before I see my trainer tonight. He will tell me to focus on what I can do and what I can improve on right now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So I am going to get off my butt and go put my gym clothes on and get some cycling in again before I see my trainer tonight. He will tell me to focus on what I can do and what I can improve on right now.

Man i hate those brain weasles!
    But your trainer is right. Do now. You can do now. Embrace the process.

It's your tomorrow. :wink: Kona? Aww, so amazing there... Kona must mean "heaven" in Hawaiian. Kona is my motivation.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    Hang in there @shanaber ! The cardio work you're doing...cycling, swimming or whatever...is great for your body and your mind, even the scale doesn't budge. You can only do what you can do is right. Seems obvious but I always seem to forget that and stress out about not doing what I can't do. And if you need to vent, we're here for you.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Are they going to sort your thyroid meds? Remember that low thyroid has a mental effect too, it's tough not having any gas!

Sometimes when everything is going badly it helps me to catastrophize - think of the worst it could be - and inevitably it's better than that. Even if you can't finish a half in May, jeez lady you are so much more fit than the average woman your age, what you have accomplished is HUGE!

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I am struggling, even while thinking how much worse it could be facing surgery for the 3rd time like Elise is. Still I am going through a 'why the heck am I bothering... with trying to get in cardio or measuring, logging and eating well'. I know better but I guess I am just in a funk. Had lunch at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and did ok, didn't really even eat much but then I had ice cream for dinner. I can't remember the last time I have done that - years I think.
    I need to run and when I think about it I end up crying... I even tried looking at my HM in May compared to when I 'may' be able to run again and figuring out if there is enough time to at least get to a point to be able to finish it.

Not being able to run is agonizing. I was pretty much out of commission from any kind of meaningful exercise from October through most of December. Everything seemed pointless...diet, bleh. It all just sucked and I was sad. The fog lifts and it's glorious to reintroduce running. I'm kind of at a place where I am in constant fear of re-injuring myself. The thing that's wrong with me will not heal, it can only be asymptomatic, so I'm always toeing the line.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks Everyone... I am trying to bring myself to defer my registration for my HM on the 3rd and it really got me down. Going to the gym helped a lot (love those endorphins) and I also talked to my trainer. He basically told me to embrace my feelings and then put them aside and get on with doing what I can.

@rheddmobile - I haven't talked to my doctor yet. I am hoping to hear from her tomorrow afternoon but if she doesn't call by Monday I will give her a call as there were several things in the blood work in addition to the TSH that I expect to hear about.

@elise4270 - I love that term 'brain weasels' 😁 I don't know how you do it and manage to stay so upbeat! Maybe it is the caffeine! I do love Kona too!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I made the butter chicken tonight and this time used the immersion blender. I have to admit, I do like that better.

I used half the butter called for and subbed half & half for half the cream.

So good!
  • shanaber
    Options
    I have been looking at immersion blenders online - all your fault 🤣
    Can't wait to try that recipe!!
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have been looking at immersion blenders online - all your fault 🤣
    Can't wait to try that recipe!!

We picked up one from the all mighty Walmart store. It’s fine. I’ll have to revisit this butter chicken recipe. I looked at it and it seemed to call for garam Marsala and soy, two ingredients i can’t have. DD requested the beef curry that i haven’t made in a year. Eh, maybe.. I made coconut rice and chicken in the ip last night. I went to bed and left it to dh to put away. So at least I have something planned for lunch. Yay planning!

I’m tired. I slept ok. I have this overweight cat, 15.5lbs, that sleeps on my pillow to get to dh. She just pretends to love me for the spot. Most nights she’s fine, last night I had to grab different pillow and slept south of her. Horrible. I try shoving her over, but it’s not like she’s willing or that it’s easy and if I shove her to close to dh he fusses. Ok yes, I like here with me but some nights she’s just to big and takes my whole dang pillow.

And all night I woke up thinking “intramedullary”. I’ve been researching.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks Everyone... I am trying to bring myself to defer my registration for my HM on the 3rd and it really got me down. Going to the gym helped a lot (love those endorphins) and I also talked to my trainer. He basically told me to embrace my feelings and then put them aside and get on with doing what I can.

@elise4270 - I love that term 'brain weasels' 😁 I don't know how you do it and manage to stay so upbeat! Maybe it is the caffeine! I do love Kona too!

Brains are dumb. It’s amazing the games you can play with them and call bs. The weasels try to get me from time to time, but it just a game. I’m convinced that if we are who we are shaped by experiences, you can creat fake ones and your dumb brain can’t tell the difference. (I flew with some birds in a dream, swear every time I see birds flying I can feel it. So a part of me can fly and I have that memory . My brain doesn’t know it was an induced memory. Yes, careful not to border on living in a fantasy or let the lines of reality bleed into vagueness) So, there’s power in thoughts and dreams. But I am not immune to brain weasels. I have plenty of “get me downs”, I just try to distract myself from dwelling on worrying.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    We are trying Green Chef and our first 3 meals arrive tomorrow. It's one of the few with certified gluten free. Some claim gf but they package everything on the same line.

I'm excited to have something new that I don't have to think about what to make or buy. Not sure how much we will do this as it's pretty pricey without the initial $50 off.
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    We picked up one from the all mighty Walmart store. It’s fine. I’ll have to revisit this butter chicken recipe. I looked at it and it seemed to call for garam Marsala and soy, two ingredients i can’t have. DD requested the beef curry that i haven’t made in a year. Eh, maybe.. I made coconut rice and chicken in the ip last night. I went to bed and left it to dh to put away. So at least I have something planned for lunch. Yay planning!

@Elise4270 There's no soy in the recipe but there is garam masala. Since garam masala is a combination of spices, perhaps you could make your own and leave out the spice that you can't have? Here's a garam masala recipe from the same site.

https://twosleevers.com/home-made-garam-masala-recipe/

I'm going to try this the next time I make it. We have a jar of grocery store stuff, but it's old and crappy.

You do give me an idea though...I need to try the same butter chicken recipe but with a hot curry seasoning.
  • shanaber
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @elise4270 - they give a link to make your own Garam Masala so if you can identify which ingredients causes an issue you could try leaving out just that one? I didn't see soy listed but I know lots of things have soy that aren't obvious. It really does look yummy.
    You are absolutely right about distracting yourself from dwelling. I need to do more of that too.
    I love the flying with birds! If I believed in reincarnation I would want to come back as a hawk or maybe an owl. I love to watch them soar. I had a biology/zoology class where we learned about the 'digits' in their wings that are like our fingers only better because they control their flight without moving their wings.

@RunsOnEspresso - We haven't tried any of those services ourselves but I wish it had been around when our daughter was little and we were all so busy.

ETA - I found an IP recipe for split soup with the ham bone. Has anyone fried putting the ham bone in their IP and does it work ok? I don't know why but I have this vague worry that the bone might explode under pressure...
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@Elise4270 There's no soy in the recipe but there is garam masala. Since garam masala is a combination of spices, perhaps you could make your own and leave out the spice that you can't have? Here's a garam masala recipe from the same site.

https://twosleevers.com/home-made-garam-masala-recipe/

I'm going to try this the next time I make it. We have a jar of grocery store stuff, but it's old and crappy.

You do give me an idea though...I need to try the same butter chicken recipe but with a hot curry seasoning.

Thanks @7lenny7 . I can have all the spices, just the premade stuff we had contained soy for some dumb reason.

Eta @shanaber i don't know about the bone. But if its cut, it shouldn't be an issue. Or if it does, uh... Let us know ;)

I'm convinced theres some multifacet of our spirit that reincarnates. I have that fat cat and I catch myself calling her the name of a past cat, they seem to have the same spirit. Same disposition. The baby cat, may or may not be one of my most favorite cats that was exceptionally smart, as she is. Dh thinks we have something evil in the house because it shouldn't be that smart. Haha!

*Please will the Jones office to call me today. I hate limbo*