Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous week’s weight: 179.4
    Todays weight: 178.4
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,111 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone ...

I have volunteered to be the 'fitness motivator' for our group. Not exactly sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that it does NOT mean "drill sergeant" :smiley:

To get started, I would like to hear from all of you. I have two questions for you ...

1. What role does fitness currently play in your efforts to lose weight/establish a lifestyle change?

2. What could I do in my role of "fitness motivator" that would be helpful for the group?

Great questions.
    1. Fitness is a daily duty/pleasure/obligation that has come to produce a lot of great feelings, both physical and emotional. It took a long time to be able to really make it a lifestyle change, even though I had always been generally active. As I age, I have learned that strength helps remove pain (often completely, always quite effectively), and that physical effort elevates my mood and helps calm me down. I'm a pretty intense person, and since I started working out more methodically it seems I am more relaxed to be around!
    2. I know that having a bad day or more, either for diet or exercise, can almost instantly make it hard to get back on track. It is hard to come into a group like this and report that I am not doing well, but it is also the best thing to help get back on track more quickly. Encouraging the team to come on this chat page and just talk about how things are going, good or bad, would really make a difference for everyone. And we'd get to know each other more, which I think would be enjoyable.
    3. Sometimes the drill sargeant is hilarious and motivating in a good way!
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
    Sorry I disappeared for a bit - had no internet for 24 hours. Rural living is lovely, but internet is not reliable when the satellite goes kerflooey for some unknown reason. They got the system back up now, so I'll catch up!

Weigh-ins posted for
    @kkmark
    @offitgoes
    @nicole3921

Any more confirmations or changes for the stepping team for February? Thanks for those who have confirmed!
  • jugar
    Options
    Reminder!
    late weigh-ins - it's the final week, so this also becomes your starting weight for February. Please get them in, thanks!

@cccallahan
    @MoStacy
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone ...

Check out the Team Waistaways FEBRUARY chat page for the new February Fitness Challenge. That will give you a couple of days to think about what you would like to challenge yourself to do so you can be off and running (or walking, or whatever you exercise preference may be) when the month starts.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone ...

I have volunteered to be the 'fitness motivator' for our group. Not exactly sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that it does NOT mean "drill sergeant" :smiley:

To get started, I would like to hear from all of you. I have two questions for you ...

1. What role does fitness currently play in your efforts to lose weight/establish a lifestyle change?

2. What could I do in my role of "fitness motivator" that would be helpful for the group?

I thought it was only appropriate to answer the first question myself.

What role does fitness currently play in your efforts to lose weight/establish a lifestyle change?

In my case, increasing fitness was as big a motivator in starting this lifestyle change as losing weight. I am fortunate (from an exercise perspective) that riding my horse is a passion for me ... and also a great source of exercise. I ride dressage competitively (as an adult amateur). As I have moved into the upper levels, I discovered that I did not have the much needed core strength and aerobic fitness that I was going to need. Unfortunately, just riding is not enough ... so it was time to up my game in terms of off-horse exercise. The first month or so on the journey, I just focused on getting the food right. Then, I added the rowing machine to my exercise schedule. In November I added doing weights 3 days a week. Finally, in December I added pool exercises (primarily for range of motion) on the 'recovery' days after weights.

This past week, I reached goal (just short of 50 pounds in 6 months) In looking back over the progress, I realized that I really never had a plateau (I think a week with no loss was as long as I went) and averaged 1.7 pounds per month. While making the exercise changes was not about weight, I can't help but wonder if adding the additional elements over the months helped to avoid the dreaded plateau?

Going forward ... I will not be changing my exercise schedule much. I keep increasing the weights at the gym and intensity on the rowing machine. In February, I will be adding planks (Yikes!), a few balance exercises and more stretching.

Two benefits I have discovered from the exercise are definitely improved sleep and pretty much the elimination of mindless eating and binging (stress/emotional eating anyon??!). Also, at 74 I am feeling better than I have in decades and have not taken any anti-inflammatory or pain medication in months. Needless to say, this has been a wonderful experience for me and I am committed to remaining vigilant to protect it as I move into maintenance.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    For the parts of the continent where this weather is NOT typical, so you don't have the outdoor clothes 'cause you just never had to deal with this kind of situation long term ...... COLD CAN KILL IN MINUTES IF YOU ARE NOT DRESSED FOR IT!

Stay safe! Stay Warm!

I have lived in "Cold Country" all my life - it takes ~ 5 minutes from " decide it's time to leave" to gearing up, to going through the door ..... and THEN have to start car, scrape or brush car windows, maybe clear sufficient snow or plow leaving to get out of driveway ..... and THEN start longer than normal commute.

We've had some snow this month too
    izrmx60y4upe.jpg
    BTW, those are Adults on the road ....

Oh, you had a flurry! LOL

Actually, we have had very little snow and very mild temperatures so far this year. This is very uncommon for MA. The news has informed us that cold temps are coming tomorrow or there about. Should hit a wind chill of about -20. Still not the -40 / -50 some places are getting - that's just insane.

• mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    e5we4t887cc2.png

Its that time again!!! FEBRURARY REGISTRATIONS have been opened!

We are hoping you all help us spread the word by posting an invite to join our group on your profile pages, in your other groups, or by going to our FORUM INVITES and posting a little comment about how our Group has helped you on your journey! This will show people what we are all about and help keep our invites on top of the forums page. Simply click on the links below and give us a shout out!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10722877/february-2019-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10722874/f2f-wlc-support-group-february-edition#latest

npajakvdygti.png
  • jugar
    Options
    Last weigh-ins, Calling for Last weigh-ins

4qppufnpedm4.png
  • jugar
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    jugar wrote: »
    It is almost FEBRUARY! The days are getting longer, there is more time for stepping, right?

We need to make sure to enter 12 team members for the steps challenge for next month. Who is still in? Who wants in? Who wants out? Let me know!

current team:

@Astrue
    @AmyHammons1
    @BMcC9
    @Offitgoes
    @sue_01
    @kkmark
    @GettingFitTash
    @mari_moulin
    @evangsimmons170
    @Andreabroadley
    @Miki48

Not everyone has kept tracking all the way through, so we are going to need more team members who will commit to the month (a nice short one!) of tracking steps every day.

I am in. I know I don't walk as much in winter, and I wish there was a way to count every step in snowshoes as at least double, but I want to do this.

Let's try to beat those fanatics in Team WeightNoMore! Heck, let's try to get out of last place!

I’m in for February. I am still trying to get the hang of this. First, my name is wrong on your list. It’s Micki48. Also I don’t get an accurate account of my steps because I just use my phone steps and it is not on me constantly. Does that matter? Also should I log steps every day or once a week? And by which day?

I’ll try to increase my steps in February. Weather has not cooperated this month.

Thanks for the update and glad you're in the team for February - it is indeed a challenge. I usually walk a ton, but with all the snow and the extreme cold, it has certainly been a challenge. Keep your phone on you all the time and pace while you're on the phone? It sort of helps... and yes, the steps get entered each day. You can post a summary of a few days at a time, any day you want - as long as the last one is in directly so we can win!!!

I'll correct your name on the spreadsheet - somehow it was c-less.
  • jugar
    Options
    MoStacy wrote: »
    Username: MoStacy
    Weigh in week: week 4
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Starting Weight: 170lbs.
    Week 1: 169.6 lbs
    Week 2: 169.3 lbs
    Week 3: 168.2 lbs
    Week 4: 167.2 lbs
    Todays Weight: 166.5 lbs.

Do we start recording Feb. steps on Feb.1?

POSTED (sorry it's late - no internet for a while, catching up!)
    You have had a great month - WTG!

And yes, the February steps will be up by tomorrow, I hope! Post all steps there, and we'll be off and walking. running. shuffling. pacing. whatever works!
  • jugar
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Thought for sure I posted my weight on Saturday with my other two comments. Don’t know if it’s too late. I was getting a lot of those “something went wrong” messages. Here it is for all its worth.

Starting Weight : 217.7
    Weigh-in day: Saturday
    Week 4

Previous Week: 213.6
    Current Week : 213.3

POSTED. and ready to go for February! Great job in January - and the days are getting longer.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    I’m in the hospital.. maybe a blood clot in lungs, maybe kidney stones.. I’m out of stepping challenge for now.
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    I’m in the hospital.. maybe a blood clot in lungs, maybe kidney stones.. I’m out of stepping challenge for now.

Oh no Andrea I am so sad to hear this. Im so sorry youve been going through so much. Dont stress about the step challege just get yourself better. I hope its nothing too too serious and that your doctors can quikly get you on the mend. Sending healing vibes your way.
  • jugar
    Options

Oh dear - this is a tough one. We'll hold a spot for you - and don't hesitate to drop by and send us a message when you're feeling better. <3
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    See y'all on the flip side .... here's a rainbow bridge to get you to the February Thread !
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Question....I posted my weight on Monday the 28th. Do I have to post my final weight for January as of the 31st? That would be awesome if I could. I had a wonderful loss since Monday. Just wanted to check.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    BMcC9
    Jan wk 5 (Fridays)
    PW 143.1
    CW 142.0
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Week 5
    Friday